U19's - Don't tell me this is the masterplan

magicTs

Given my scepticism about the quality of young player on our books and because I had a couple of hours to spare I made a late decision to go along to Riccarton to see for myself what the U19's had to offer. After all, we are being led to believe that the great Romanov 'masterplan' is bringing through youngsters.

If I am caught on the video camera (recording the game on the far side) amongst the very decent sized crowd I probably look something like this :hae36: Clearly it is difficult to make sweeping statements after watching just 90 minutes but I'm not shy and so I'll make a few confident predictions in a quick summary !!

The starting 11 was :

Shaun (somebody) ?, Kelly, McGowan, Balatoni, Hamilton, Mulrooney, Husband, Mearns, Copil, Visconte, Glen.

Hearts lost 1-0 and to be honest it could and should have been more. Our small young keeper (I believe he might only have been 15/16) made a couple of cracking saves and it could be argued was our MOM. His height is a concern and his distribution was erratic but I think he can be pleased with his step up to this level. Fleck, who was fairly quiet througout showed the one moment of class in any otherwise dire game with a clinical touch and finish.

The huge disappointment and there can be no denying it given the publicity and hype they have received is that Copil, Visconte and Kostadinov are a million miles from being anywhere near first team footballers (and I'm talking at any Scottish football club nevermind Heart of Midlothian). They are small, slight, weak and are clearly struggling to adapt to the climate, conditions, pace of game, physicality and aggresion.

Copil, inparticular is about 2 stone lighter than Juanjo was and looks like he lacks the appetite and desire badly. He was subbed after around 40 minutes and that was kind to him. He looks like a guy ready to pack his bags and I'd be surprised if he's here next season. Visconte, by all accounts has been making progress this season so who know's maybe he had an off day but the Rangers full back had him in his pocket the whole match and he looked one paced and a bit of a one trick pony. Unfortunately Copil's replacement Kostadinov whilst slightly keener to get on the ball was equally poor at distributing it and never looked likely to create or contribute anything positive. I am willing to lay my neck on the line with regard Copil and Kostadinov and say right know neither will ever make it into the Hearts first team.

From a positive point of view I thought wee Eddie Mearns took no prisoners and looked hungry to make things happen and not just let Rangers have incessant pressure. He played a few neat one-twos and generally stood out in a very mediocre Hearts midfield. Husband inparticular commited more fouls than he did completed passes ! The obvious drawback with Mearns is whether he can grow a bit and develop physically but I doubt his attitude will ever be called into question.

It is a real shame we have no Sandy Clark or Jimmy Bone figure at the club as I would love Gary Glen to have an experienced campaigner, someone who can teach him all the tricks and really bring him on. The guy has something and to me looks like he will score many more goals than Clum 'Forrest' Elliot. He was in all honesty the only goal threat today and whilst he took to long over his one chance in the first half he created and hit a decent shot off in the 2nd which the Gers keeper tipped onto the post. He needs proper training and leadership not being lumped in with any of the donkeys we have masquerading as front men at the moment.

The absolute stand out for me and indeed the only player anywhere near ready for SPL football was McGowan. It looks like Hearts have unearthed another good central defensive prospect (just a pity we can't seem to do it with attacking players!). He was strong, composed, vocal and brought the ball out a couple of times and I thought he was impressive. Can he play right back I wonder ?!

All in all another Hearts side went out of a cup with barely a whimper and it is worrying that at a time our first team is decimated of quality there are few players ready to make the step up and challenge.

Stevie Frail watched most of the match looking a very lonely figure though he did stand with John Murray for a period. Berra, Stewart, Wallace, Jonsson, Neilson and Driver made the effort to watch the match (the rest were away hiding) and Weir, Adam and Webster were also there. Noticed Darren Jackson, Gordon Durie and Billy Stark also deep in conversation.

The huge disappointment and there can be no denying it given the publicity and hype they have received is that Copil, Visconte and Kostadinov are a million miles from being anywhere near first team footballers (and I'm talking at any Scottish football club nevermind Heart of Midlothian). They are small, slight, weak and are clearly struggling to adapt to the climate, conditions, pace of game, physicality and aggresion.

I'll defend two of them - Branimir is a centre-forward and I think he came on to play wide right? If not then not much I can add.

Rocky is carrying a niggling hip injury that isn't getting time to properly heal, but he has been playing well this season so it may just have been an off day. He could probably do with a break because he missed a good bit of pre-season.

Given my scepticism about the quality of young player on our books and because I had a couple of hours to spare I made a late decision to go along to Riccarton to see for myself what the U19's had to offer. After all, we are being led to believe that the great Romanov 'masterplan' is bringing through youngsters.

If I am caught on the video camera (recording the game on the far side) amongst the very decent sized crowd I probably look something like this :hae36: Clearly it is difficult to make sweeping statements after watching just 90 minutes but I'm not shy and so I'll make a few confident predictions in a quick summary !!

The starting 11 was :

Shaun (somebody) ?, Kelly, McGowan, Balatoni, Hamilton, Mulrooney, Husband, Mearns, Copil, Visconte, Glen.

Hearts lost 1-0 and to be honest it could and should have been more. Our small young keeper (I believe he might only have been 15/16) made a couple of cracking saves and it could be argued was our MOM. His height is a concern and his distribution was erratic but I think he can be pleased with his step up to this level. Fleck, who was fairly quiet througout showed the one moment of class in any otherwise dire game with a clinical touch and finish.

Copil, inparticular is about 2 stone lighter than Juanjo was and looks like he lacks the appetite and desire badly. He was subbed after around 40 minutes and that was kind to him. He looks like a guy ready to pack his bags and I'd be surprised if he's here next season. Visconte, by all accounts has been making progress this season so who know's maybe he had an off day but the Rangers full back had him in his pocket the whole match and he looked one paced and a bit of a one trick pony. Unfortunately Copil's replacement Kostadinov whilst slightly keener to get on the ball was equally poor at distributing it and never looked likely to create or contribute anything positive. I am willing to lay my neck on the line with regard Copil and Kostadinov and say right know neither will ever make it into the Hearts first team.

From a positive point of view I thought wee Eddie Mearns took no prisoners and looked hungry to make things happen and not just let Rangers have incessant pressure. He played a few neat one-twos and generally stood out in a very mediocre Hearts midfield. Husband inparticular commited more fouls than he did completed passes ! The obvious drawback with Mearns is whether he can grow a bit and develop physically but I doubt his attitude will ever be called into question.

It is a real shame we have no Sandy Clark or Jimmy Bone figure at the club as I would love Gary Glen to have an experienced campaigner, someone who can teach him all the tricks and really bring him on. The guy has something and to me looks like he will score many more goals than Clum 'Forrest' Elliot. He was in all honesty the only goal threat today and whilst he took to long over his one chance in the first half he created and hit a decent shot off in the 2nd which the Gers keeper tipped onto the post. He needs proper training and leadership not being lumped in with any of the donkeys we have masquerading as front men at the moment.

The absolute stand out for me and indeed the only player anywhere near ready for SPL football was McGowan. It looks like Hearts have unearthed another good central defensive prospect (just a pity we can't seem to do it with attacking players!). He was strong, composed, vocal and brought the ball out a couple of times and I thought he was impressive. Can he play right back I wonder ?!

All in all another Hearts side went out of a cup with barely a whimper and it is worrying that at a time our first team is decimated of quality there are few players ready to make the step up and challenge.

Stevie Frail watched most of the match looking a very lonely figure though he did stand with John Murray for a period. Berra, Stewart, Wallace, Jonsson, Neilson and Driver made the effort to watch the match (the rest were away hiding) and Weir, Adam and Webster were also there. Noticed Darren Jackson, Gordon Durie and Billy Stark also deep in conversation.

You are big analisator. Little questions:

1. Why player who come in Hearts 17 years old with rating from europian scouts " The most prospect in Europe", 19 years old is not in first 11;

2. Why player - ofensive midfield, who 17 years old is in top 50 players in the World in magazine World soocer is 4-5 times sub, like...goalkeeper!?!?!?

Interests is imneterests, but don't make manipulations, because maeby soon will come day we to trink the glass to the bottom. And in this case Vladimir Romanov is not hero...

1. Why player who come in Hearts 17 years old with rating from europian scouts " The most prospect in Europe", 19 years old is not in first 11;

2. Why player - ofensive midfield, who 17 years old is in top 50 players in the World in magazine World soocer is 4-5 times sub, like...goalkeeper!?!?!?

To answer both: because talk is cheap.

Interests is imneterests, but don't make manipulations, because maeby soon will come day we to trink the glass to the bottom. And in this case Vladimir Romanov is not hero...

Well Bg, I have heard that mr Murray is not at all liked by the younger players and that there is a lot of disharmony about. The same as the rest of the club in fact.

I've also heard that Copil is desperate to leave and is not trying a leg.

As for your brother i have not seen him play and so i will not say anything plus or minus.

I do, however appreciate the regular updates you give us on this site.

Confess that I have a couple of worries about the setup at Riccarton and the prospects for our youngsters:

1. I don't know how good the coaching is but if it's anything like the First team then there is probably a problem...

2. Footballers in Scotland have to have a certain level of physical strength. Last night Rangers were a big physical team much as Burley tried to make Hearts. From photos I've seen of our U-19s most need to get on the Protein shakes and red meat diet or else they'll have to bide their time until their bodies catch up with their technique...

Well Bg, I have heard that mr Murray is not at all liked by the younger players and that there is a lot of disharmony about. The same as the rest of the club in fact.

I've also heard that Copil is desperate to leave and is not trying a leg.

As for your brother i have not seen him play and so i will not say anything plus or minus.

I do, however appreciate the regular updates you give us on this site.

If it is the one who is the 19s coach then yeah I could see that in the way the players respnded to him.

Good questions which I am in no position to answer. I am merely giving my opinion to what I witnessed today and have no agenda for anything I have written. Of course I understand your desire to defend your brother (good on you) and I can quite believe he is being messed about by HMFC after all we have treated far more established and well known players badly in recent times.

A question for you : If knowing what they know now of the setup at Heart of Midlothian would your parents have let Branny move to Edinburgh ??

Confess that I have a couple of worries about the setup at Riccarton and the prospects for our youngsters:

1. I don't know how good the coaching is but if it's anything like the First team then there is probably a problem...

2. Footballers in Scotland have to have a certain level of physical strength. Last night Rangers were a big physical team much as Burley tried to make Hearts. From photos I've seen of our U-19s most need to get on the Protein shakes and red meat diet or else they'll have to bide their time until their bodies catch up with their technique...

Little corections. Last night Rangers win with clever football, not with Protein shakes. I think that I undestned very well this game. If Protein is N1, Nade will be the great player in the world. Branny have killer's speed. You have not idea what he maked here with national team with another guys. With speed and combinations, not with Protein, mate.

I'll defend two of them - Branimir is a centre-forward and I think he came on to play wide right? If not then not much I can add.

He did indeed come on wide though he was mostly on the left hand side. At least we are preparing young players for the methods of our first team ie playing out of position !!

Good questions which I am in no position to answer. I am merely giving my opinion to what I witnessed today and have no agenda for anything I have written. Of course I understand your desire to defend your brother (good on you) and I can quite believe he is being messed about by HMFC after all we have treated far more established and well known players badly in recent times.

A question for you : If knowing what they know now of the setup at Hearts of Midlothian would your parents have let Branny move to Edinburgh ??

Of course you have right for opinion. Answer of your question will come later. For all taht watched here - we are free and very hard people. Not will be simple. In this figure we have big liars last years. Answer - maeby soon.

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Evening Troops

Just back from the game n asda chesser , maybe too much information there

However my take on it , Hearts much the same as the 1st team - pants

Played Glen up front on his own and he had the only real shot at goal after

20 minutes or so and the keeper made a good save , thought he was decent

and clearly gave his best , he also hit the post in the second half . That and

a wide low drive from Hubby was our only efforts on goal all game .

Glen likes a wee moan .

Eddie Mearns looks a prospect , busy in a deep centre midfield role , not

a sausage one , one of the few vocal Hearts players and clearly has a steely

determination about him .

Big Aussie at centre half , McGowan looks a real prospect and gave his all

with his knee strapped up , very vocal at the back and has a future in the

game . Rocky has some good touches with no end product .

Copil nice quick footwork , neat touch , nothing else , Branny much the same

but has a greater workrate .

Husband is worth a mention and was involved in the midfield battle .

Not convinced on the coaching at this level , nothing inspired me about

this team . Mind you Rangers seemed much the same and liked to play

long from the back , more physical with Fleck scoring their goal , also worth a

mention is the player wideright they had , don't know his name .

All in all nothing to get excited about really .

We desperately need overhauled from top to bottom on all levels .

Little corections. Last night Rangers win with clever football, not with Protein shakes. I think that I undestned very well this game. If Protein is N1, Nade will be the great player in the world. Branny have killer's speed. You have not idea what he maked here with national team with another guys. With speed and combinations, not with Protein, mate.

Rangers weren't that good. I never saw us win a single header in our own box...I never saw Stevie Naismith, one of their smaller players lose a header to Goncalves! We were hopeless in the air with even Nade not looking so big next to Weir and Dailly...Yet we were the ones kicking the ball up into the air and they were the ones playing most of the football. So I think we are both right.

If Branny has speed then that's great because none of the huddies in maroon last night did except for Miko. Sad truth is that speed is pointless in our current team and the killer pass is not there because the preferred option is the floated aerial ball, aimless punt or attempted chip/dink...Miko is about the only player in the team who tries to play football on the ground - and yet many fans crucify him for it...

He did indeed come on wide though he was mostly on the left hand side. At least we are preparing young players for the methods of our first team ie playing out of position !!

The left wing!? Where the fock was Rocky playing??

He got subbed too.

So they played their top-scoring centre forward (who's right footed) on the left wing.

Genius.

:hae36:

So they played their top-scoring centre forward (who's right footed) on the left wing.

Genius.

:hae36:

The last 20 minutes or so the formation and 'tactics' went out the window and to be honest it looked like some of them were just doing whatever they wanted. I don't know the coaching staff from Adam but I have to say first impressions were not great.

Oopsupsideyerheed

Lets put things into perspective here........Rangers finished the game with 8/9 full age players.

Most of Hearts team was made up of Under 17 players.

The keeper is in fact not 15/16 but 14 !!!..the difference in age was all due to injuries.

Yes we were poor,but did anyone in the Rangers team look any better except for the wide left Greek lad??.....your comments please.

CornhillHearts

I was there and bearing in mind Glen has played no football for about 3 months he did well, as did central defenders and young goalie, Copil dear oh dear, Branny-dive of the game and Visconte did not look fit, rest were average against a superior Gers side in all departments.

To all those whom think some under 19s deserve a game in first eleven ( you all know whom you are) you need to realise it aint gonna happen, as for Copil release him under breach of contract for pretending to be a fit footballer.

The left wing!? Where the fock was Rocky playing??

I think Rocky played on the right, and Copil on the left.

For the first half hour anyway.

He seemed to be very awkward when he was running, which may be down to the injury.

Charlie-Brown

From what I have seen previously (wasn't there today) Glen, McGowan, Brown & Visconte would all benefit from some first team involvement be that a squad place or sub appearances to help them progress playing with & against better players. Mearns also has the correct attitude & doesn't lack ability for a midfield terrier and I've seen him impress against experienced SPL players in reserve games the only concern is his lack of height - hopefully that won't count against him.

The goal of any youth system is to produce players for senior level - historically teams bring through 1 or 2 a year who make it - if that percentage can be increased to upwards of 2 or 3 or 4 per team then it's working well - only once in a decade or so will you get a group that all come through together but to think that you will ever get a whole team or even close to it is just wishful thinking.

But 2 or 3 progressing per year soon turns into a healthy amount of home developed players in the senior squad after only 3 or 4 years.

Already in our first team squad are Berra, Driver, Jonsson, Wallace as well as JKB favourites Elliot & Neilson and it's not too long since Craig Gordon left for big money.

I'm also just back from the game.Agree with most of the above.The number 5 had one great tackle in the 1st half.The lack of pace though is a worry.The number of times the defence was caught out with a ball over their heads was also a worry.Glen hit the post and missed a decent chance before halftime.The young goalkeeper did great taking into account his age.The coach is clueless.DM on his tracksuit.Time for a decent coach that the youngsters look up to.Glen waltzed past a couple of players.Had a shot of the post and minutes later this clown moved him onto the wing.One fan told me he makes a sub just before halftime all the time.Sure enough he did this today.You can notice no young player has any respect or time for him.

Branny was played out of position. Having seen him at his best he is clearly an out and out striker. He sometimes doesn't play well but can get on the scoresheet. What makes him better than say, someone like Makela in that department, is that he also has very good pace and a great first touch.

From my personal opinion, the team every week when all fit should be.

-----------Bjornsson------------

Kelly---McGowan Balatoni---Brown

--------Stewart Mearns----------

Templeton---------------Visconte

--------Kostadinov Glen----------

That team would **** the under-19s team no bother. The trouble is it is never picked two weeks running because of injuries, international duty and rotating the team. That means there are games where the team is clearly disjointed and this has started affecting the confidence of the players.

Rocky Visconte inparticular looked like he was playing with zero confidence today. It didn't help he was played on the right wing.

I think the problem with Copil and Kostadinov is not their lack of ability, but the way youngsters are treated and coached in Scotland and the whole Scottish attitude towards grooming youngsters. I mean how can a lad who has been named as one of the top 50 prospects in the world be awful as some of you say?

I bet that at a continental club (Spain, Italy, France etc.) both Kostadinov and Copil would be allowed to develop the things they are good at, ie technique etc. In Scotland, however, in order for them to be succesful they either have to be very quick or more importantly strong and it seems that Murray and Scottish youth coaches in general don't appreciate technical, skilled, albeit lightweight players who don't run around like crazy (as Clum for example). It's sad, but this problem exists throughout the British Isles and is one reason why neither England nor Scotland don't do well internationally.

I think Hearts should bring in continental youth coaches, because otherwise there is no point in bringing talented players such as Copil and Kostadinov if they will never be groomed effectively and correctly.

I think the problem with Copil and Kostadinov is not their lack of ability, but the way youngsters are treated and coached in Scotland and the whole Scottish attitude towards grooming youngsters. I mean how can a lad who has been named as one of the top 50 prospects in the world be awful as some of you say?

I bet that at a continental club (Spain, Italy, France etc.) both Kostadinov and Copil would be allowed to develop the things they are good at, ie technique etc. In Scotland, however, in order for them to be succesful they either have to be very quick or more importantly strong and it seems that Murray and Scottish youth coaches in general don't appreciate technical, skilled, albeit lightweight players who don't run around like crazy (as Clum for example). It's sad, but this problem exists throughout the British Isles and is one reason why neither England nor Scotland don't do well internationally.

I think Hearts should bring in continental youth coaches, because otherwise there is no point in bringing talented players such as Copil and Kostadinov if they will never be groomed effectively and correctly.

Post of the day.

I have heard that the main problem with Branni is that he thinks he is better than he actually is ? and i think the way you go about your business with regards to his "profile" etc No wonder he thinks like this.

When your meant to be a goal scorer, you are only as good as your last goal.

(only my opinion BG)

Lots of good point but along with ability you need hunger, desire, attitude and a desire to win (Ronaldo, Fabregas and torres are all foreign young players with it who have adapted to the British game!). Copil inparticular looks like he lacks any of those attributes.

Lots of good point but along with ability you need hunger, desire, attitude and a desire to win (Ronaldo, Fabregas and torres are all foreign young players with it who have adapted to the British game!). Copil inparticular looks like he lacks any of those attributes.

Just remember that ROnaldo and Fabregas were brought up in Sporting and Barca respectively and were already quite developed when they moved to England. Besides Wenger and Ferguson are two managers that know how to help players develop and that appreciate technical and skilled players. Torres, on the other hand, was already a fully developed player when he moved to Liverpool. In the case of Copil and Branny and co. were are talking about players who are now at the stage were they need great coaching. But unlike ROnaldo or Fabregas, they don't get it...

A seriously good post.

There's probably an awful lot of truth in that.

The starting 11 was :

It really is hard to believe none of the boys who,s names end with the letters sas were there to watch as well.

I said it at the time Darren Murray was appointed to the Under 19s coach that it wasnt a good move. It is clear the players in the Under 19s have zero respect for him that was from watching the game today and from reports from others. If you think back to when John McGlynn and Frail were coaching the Under 19s the players were on the main very positive about their influence and nuturing. I havent heard any of the current crop praising management at that level.

If indeed the grand plan is to have players coming through the ranks then there is a desperate requirement to have in place a top level coach who is well respected that understands players at that age level. Also if you looked at the Rangers bench today there were 3 coaches always in deep conversation, our bench consisted of Darren Murray standing speaking to no-one the entire game - and Steve Banks.

Even at Boys Club level teams have 2-3 coaches - why dont the Hearts Under 19s team have 2-3 coaches developing the team and squad espically considering the size of the under 19s squad.

Young players like Copil and Branny and Rocky will soon not come to Hearts as there is no proper and respected Under 19s set-up, however the parrells between under 19s and 1st team are scary!

I know the goalkeeper, he is only 14, use to play for hibs and when he left rodders went round his house to offer him a new contract, Hearts through and through

I said it at the time Darren Murray was appointed to the Under 19s coach that it wasnt a good move. It is clear the players in the Under 19s have zero respect for him that was from watching the game today and from reports from others. If you think back to when John McGlynn and Frail were coaching the Under 19s the players were on the main very positive about their influence and nuturing. I havent heard any of the current crop praising management at that level.

If indeed the grand plan is to have players coming through the ranks then there is a desperate requirement to have in place a top level coach who is well respected that understands players at that age level. Also if you looked at the Rangers bench today there were 3 coaches always in deep conversation, our bench consisted of Darren Murray standing speaking to no-one the entire game - and Steve Banks.

Even at Boys Club level teams have 2-3 coaches - why dont the Hearts Under 19s team have 2-3 coaches developing the team and squad espically considering the size of the under 19s squad.

Young players like Copil and Branny and Rocky will soon not come to Hearts as there is no proper and respected Under 19s set-up, however the parrells between under 19s and 1st team are scary!

The disease that permeates the total operation is scary. Direction comes from leadership . Unfortunately we have none and the Romanov,s of this world appear to feel we dont need any. Until that is corrected nothing will get better.

jamboinglasgow

that is a good post, I am starting think there may be a problem with the final team coaching i.e. U19's. I do think Hearts are starting to coach the skill and technique that you say from a young age, I was reading an application for the one of their soccer centres and in it, it shows the technique they use for coaching kids. It is a pyramid (which I presume they move people up once each stage is mastered) and it goes from bottom to top:

Ball Mastery,

passing and recieving,

1v1 attack/defence,

speed

finishing

group play

There aims are to promote skillful play and create skilled confident and creative players. This sounds exactly like what people say should be done in Scottish youth football, however I dont think it is happening with the U19's coaching and even I am starting to wonder if we have the right man there. Surely we can bring in a decent U19 coach who can lead training from the top down while John murry is in charge of Scouting and the acdemy.

From what I understand below Under 19 level we have successful Hearts teams who are showing what is being done through training and hard work and the fact Scott Robinson has either been starting or come off the bench at the age of 15 shows some of the quality, David Love is also an exciting prospect through his many goals for the Under 17's. But from the sounds of it we have too many players playing in our under 19's and this may be a problem due to our large squad of senior players, if it wasn't so large some of the better U19 players could move to the reserve team and from that could move up.

So to sum up if I met with Romanov tomorrow and he asked me what I wanted to improve the club I would suggest:

A manager who is a fan of youth and has successfully developed it before

A major youth coach (but the new manager may bring him in)

A couple of great scouts who look for promising talent e.g. two for Scotland and two for Europe.

And other things based on what others with more of a clue can tell.

p.s. Does anyone know where I can see the Under 17 league, be quite interested to see how much they are winning by and who the players in the squad are. And one last thing, what happened to Mark Ridgers?

that is a good post, I am starting think there may be a problem with the final team coaching i.e. U19's. I do think Hearts are starting to coach the skill and technique that you say from a young age, I was reading an application for the one of their soccer centres and in it, it shows the technique they use for coaching kids. It is a pyramid (which I presume they move people up once each stage is mastered) and it goes from bottom to top:

Ball Mastery,

passing and recieving,

1v1 attack/defence,

speed

finishing

group play

There aims are to promote skillful play and create skilled confident and creative players. This sounds exactly like what people say should be done in Scottish youth football, however I dont think it is happening with the U19's coaching and even I am starting to wonder if we have the right man there. Surely we can bring in a decent U19 coach who can lead training from the top down while John murry is in charge of Scouting and the acdemy.

From what I understand below Under 19 level we have successful Hearts teams who are showing what is being done through training and hard work and the fact Scott Robinson has either been starting or come off the bench at the age of 15 shows some of the quality, David Love is also an exciting prospect through his many goals for the Under 17's. But from the sounds of it we have too many players playing in our under 19's and this may be a problem due to our large squad of senior players, if it wasn't so large some of the better U19 players could move to the reserve team and from that could move up.

So to sum up if I met with Romanov tomorrow and he asked me what I wanted to improve the club I would suggest:

A couple of great scouts who look for promising talent e.g. two for Scotland and two for Europe.

p.s. Does anyone know where I can see the Under 17 league, be quite interested to see how much they are winning by and who the players in the squad are. And one last thing, what happened to Mark Ridgers?

Am i right in saying that Steve Fulton is in charge of the 17's and under.Maybe we should have a pro who knows what he is doing in charge of the 19's.Sandy Clark had a great youth team when he was in charge of them.Backs my idea up.

Ball Mastery,

passing and recieving,

1v1 attack/defence,

speed

finishing

group play

Refresher course for the first team from last night?

jamboinglasgow
Am i right in saying that Steve Fulton is in charge of the 17's and under.Maybe we should have a pro who knows what he is doing in charge of the 19's.Sandy Clark had a great youth team when he was in charge of them.Backs my idea up.

I totally agree with you, we need a manager who knows what to do with youth and has the coaches that can keep it all running. Didn't know Fulton was coaching the U17, saw his name as a youth coach in FM2008 so wondered if he was actually at Hearts.

Ball Mastery,

passing and recieving,

1v1 attack/defence,

speed

finishing

group play

A couple of great scouts who look for promising talent e.g. two for Scotland and two for Europe.And other things based on what others with more of a clue can tell.

I agree 100% with you on this. I still think Romanov is here for the long-term and wants Hearts to be a success, but in order for this to happen he really needs to see that he has to not only change his methods but also to restructure the whole set up at Hearts (from youngsters to the 1st team).

I personally am ready to put up with dross in the first team for another 5 years if we go out and get top professionals (Scottish and more importantly foreigners) to develop our youth set up. In the long-term that is the only viable solution for success, but I am afraid that ROmanov trusts the people now in charge of the youngsters too much...

jamboinglasgow
Injured, out for season.

thought it might of been, that is a real shame, is this the injury he picked up during the summer. Hopefully it wont affect his development too badly.

Ball Mastery,

passing and recieving,

1v1 attack/defence,

speed

finishing

group play

The 17's don't have an offical league as such but I don't think they have lost many games at all this season - if at all. They won against Aberdeen at the weekend 2-1. The goalie who played today for the 19's is covering goals' for the 17's even though he is from the 15's squad. I don't know all the players but the full timers who are playing the 17's are David Love, danny Thompson, Craig Thomson, Sean ? (don;t know his surname) Johnathan woods, Conrad Balatoni. Then there's Scott Robinson(striker) Hamilton, Mickey Deelenz ( or something like that) Euan Grant plus some others whose names I don't know.

The coach for the 17's is a guy called Davy ( not Stevie Fulton as Benny thought - think he takes one of the younger age groups). Darren Murray from the 19's is also heavily involved in the 17's

The 17's don't have an offical league as such but I don't think they have lost many games at all this season - if at all. They won against Aberdeen at the weekend 2-1. The goalie who played today for the 19's is covering goals' for the 17's even though he is from the 15's squad. I don't know all the players but the full timers who are playing the 17's are David Love, danny Thompson, Craig Thomson, Sean ? (don;t know his surname) Johnathan woods, Conrad Balatoni. Then there's Scott Robinson(striker) Hamilton, Mickey Deelenz ( or something like that) Euan Grant plus some others whose names I don't know.

The coach for the 17's is a guy called Davy ( not Stevie Fulton as Benny thought - think he takes one of the younger age groups). Darren Murray from the 19's is also heavily involved in the 17's

Is Dylan McGowan not in the U17s as well now?

not sure about Dylan - haven't seen him play yet. Not sure how old he is and which squad he is eligible to play for - will try and find out!

I hope this one makes it - think of the fun we could have with Monkees songs!

I hope this one makes it - think of the fun we could have with Monkees songs!

oh god - I hope I haven't set him up for the monkees songs ! I've probably mispelt his surname but sounds something like that

oh god - I hope I haven't set him up for the monkees songs ! I've probably mispelt his surname but sounds something like that

I?m a believer! LOL;)

Archived