10 years ago today

systemx

We were all waiting for the world to end when the millenium bug struck at 12.

How many squillions of quids were wasted in making everything Y2K compliant.

Anyway All the Best when it comes.

I was looking forward to my y2k bonus. Roll on the Euro.... :hae52:

I never understood this Millennium bug thing (probably because I was 12).

What was supposed to happen and why?

All computers were meant to pack up cause the couldn't handle turning over 2000 from 1999 or some pile of made up corporate pish.

Computers apparently only understand the year by the last two digits due to an astonishing lack of foresight from programmers back in the fifties or something. (They probably thought that we'd all be radioactive by now and either have superpowers or be ruled by monkeys, turned out that was just Americans)

So when 2000 came along it was thought that computers would read the year as 00 and by computer logic, figure that that meant 1900 and so cease to exist, not having been invented yet.

Actually what happened was; everybody got miraculous, except me, I had the flu. By the time we came to it was about January 3rd and life had moved on.

I remember Richard and Judy telling us that we should store away tins of food and batteries and short wave radios (between Judy downing gin and tonics). Did anybody actually do this?

Covered pretty well here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem

It wasn't so much your average desktop PC that was rumoured to have problems, it was a lot of electronic "embedded systems" that run everything from power plants to sewage systems.

A *lot* of money was spent to make sure that this didn't happen. However as with everything, there was probably a fair amount of scaremongering as well causing needless cash to be spent on replacing everything with a chip in it where it wasn't really necessary! :blink:

Computers apparently only understand the year by the last two digits due to an astonishing lack of foresight from programmers back in the fifties or something. (They probably thought that we'd all be radioactive by now and either have superpowers or be ruled by monkeys, turned out that was just Americans)

So when 2000 came along it was thought that computers would read the year as 00 and by computer logic, figure that that meant 1900 and so cease to exist, not having been invented yet.

Actually what happened was; everybody got miraculous, except me, I had the flu. By the time we came to it was about January 3rd and life had moved on.

I remember Richard and Judy telling us that we should store away tins of food and batteries and short wave radios (between Judy downing gin and tonics). Did anybody actually do this?

****, that's mental!

Did it cause a lot of widespread panic amongst intelligent people, or was it just another bird-flu/swine-flu etc?

I P Knightley
****, that's mental!

Did it cause a lot of widespread panic amongst intelligent people, or was it just another bird-flu/swine-flu etc?

As an intelligent person, I feel adequately qualified to confirm that no, it did not. We all got together and enjoyed NewYear like any other.

Some of us were struck down with a nasty flu.

Others refused to celebrate as it wasn't actually (mathematically) the beginning of a new millenium.

Thickoes, though, panicked and got lagered up.

Commander Harris

watch out for the same panic in 2038 when unix time reaches it's capacity and twiddles the sign bit sending us back in time to 1901, perhaps hibs will even win the cup the following year.

I P Knightley
watch out for the same panic in 2038 when unix time reaches it's capacity and twiddles the sign bit sending us back in time to 1901, perhaps hibs will even win the cup the following year.

:biglaugh:

There's a bit of peace of mind for us all.

I worked in the royal scot hotel at the time and took delivery of 400 torches with extra batteries for every torch due to mangement thinking all the power was going out at midnight.

My work hired a Y2K consultant who's only advice was to get the serial numbers of every electronic device in the building. And of course they would only "analyze" the data after someone else had collected it for them.

Very boring few days for me and a lot of easy cash for them. In the end one piece of software in the whole building threw a bit of a huff but took 2 minutes to sort out.

I was at work making sure all the vicky wines tills could cope with the millenium.

I really had to work hard for that 800 per hour watching television

Carl Weathers
@ gatecrasher for Sasha and Chemical Brothers ?107 a ticket.... what a rip off.

Expensive but sounds like a great night.

yip planes were going too fall from the sky. the World was going too end :shocked666:

And hibs would win the big cup:blink:

Archived