Radio 5

Boof

Anybody happen to catch radio 5 at about 10:10pm last night (23rd)?

There was a phone-in and there featured a certain Shaun/Sean from Witney.

I just wondered...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody happen to catch radio 5 at about 10:10pm last night (23rd)?

There was a phone-in and there featured a certain Shaun/Sean from Witney.

I just wondered...

Check it on BBC I-Player :santa4:

chester copperpot
Poof.

:laugh:

No matter how many times I see that response in my life, I still snigger like a school child when I see it.

No matter how many times I see that response in my life, I still snigger like a school child when I see it.

Nervous laughter IMO:santa1:

Poof.

Tell me about it! Especially in Le Chat's case: I'm not quite sure how his repertoire of playground insults can be so consistently hilarious, but it's the way he tells 'em I guess.

And yes, 'twas I on the wireless last night. Having just played it back, in my opinion I sounded more Cockney than usual, and - to my amusement given Le Chat's comment - ever so slightly camp as well. Hmm. :smiliz23:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pfrh7/5_live_Sport_The_Sporting_Decade_The_Reaction/

Starts at 37:30, and just lasts for a couple of minutes.

Tell me about it! Especially in Le Chat's case: I'm not quite sure how his repertoire of playground insults can be so consistently hilarious, but it's the way he tells 'em I guess.

And yes, 'twas I on the wireless last night. Having just played it back, in my opinion I sounded more Cockney than usual, and - to my amusement given Le Chat's comment - ever so slightly camp as well. Hmm. :smiliz23:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pfrh7/5_live_Sport_The_Sporting_Decade_The_Reaction/

You are clearly more concise on the Radio then!!

:smiliz64:

The est bit is when the presenter has a little quiet cough after Shaun has been talking for about a minute and a half. The type of cough that actually means "for christ's sake get on with it" :santa1:

The est bit is when the presenter has a little quiet cough after Shaun has been talking for about a minute and a half. The type of cough that actually means "for christ's sake get on with it" :santa1:

:santa1:

It's difficult though. What happens on these things is once the presenter cuts in, that's pretty much it. It's even worse if you're debating with another caller, and they interject mid-sentence, because it can become a shouting match. I still had points I wanted to make, so kept going: I wanted to both praise Bolt and criticise Federer, without going overboard in the latter's case. I think I managed that. :santa2:

It's difficult though. What happens on these things is once the presenter cuts in, that's pretty much it. It's even worse if you're debating with another caller, and they interject mid-sentence, because it can become a shouting match. I still had points I wanted to make, so kept going: I wanted to both praise Bolt and criticise Federer, without going overboard in the latter's case. I think I managed that. :santa2:

aye, I have just listened to the rest of the show because it was an interesting topic.

There is almost no interaction with the caller so they never get to respond to the presenters opinion. Its a bit mince that.

aye, I have just listened to the rest of the show because it was an interesting topic.

There is almost no interaction with the caller so they never get to respond to the presenters opinion. Its a bit mince that.

This is why the best phone-in on Five Live is their world football one at 2am on a Saturday morning. It's magnificent: the experts they have on each week speak in tremendous depth, and because it's the middle of the night, callers have way more chance to ask follow-ups and genuinely debate and discuss things. I'd never heard a phone-in which discussed the merits of zonal marking v man-to-man before; but they did on the show the other week. I highly recommend it (and agree completely with your views on the topic as expressed on another thread, incidentally). :santa1:

This is why the best phone-in on Five Live is their world football one at 2am on a Saturday morning. It's magnificent: the experts they have on each week speak in tremendous depth, and because it's the middle of the night, callers have way more chance to ask follow-ups and genuinely debate and discuss things. I'd never heard a phone-in which discussed the merits of zonal marking v man-to-man before; but they did on the show the other week. I highly recommend it (and agree completely with your views on the topic as expressed on another thread, incidentally). :santa1:

Feck that, 2am.

You should start your own phone in via Internet radio. The Shaun Lawson Cavalcade Of Football Whimsy. Or something.

:santa4:

Sounds interesting, shame they dont put that show on a little earlier.

people are lazy with their definition of zonal marking imo. They assume that you dont pick up players to mark, but you are responsible for any player that comes in your zone, it just means that when the attackers are running about like numptys you dont get caught on the back foot trying to follow them, you just swap which player you mark with your teammates with simple verbal communication.

THis is just my opinion, but this is how all the top teams defend, its nothing new.

The Zaliukas, Pressley style of defending where you pick up the man and elbow push and pull the guys shirt has its merits too, but if you try that on Drogba he will brush you aside with his natural strength and great movement and knock the ball in the net with ease.

PresidentRomanov

I think I prefer debating with you in type, I couldn't possibly take in a word you were saying with that voice :santa4:

I think I prefer debating with you in type, I couldn't possibly take in a word you were saying with that voice :santa4:

An awful lot of people from Englandshire sound like that, as you'll know. Some people think I'm posh, others think I'm a Cockney; I think we're all agreed that I'm a **** though. :santa1:

Sounds interesting, shame they dont put that show on a little earlier.

people are lazy with their definition of zonal marking imo. They assume that you dont pick up players to mark, but you are responsible for any player that comes in your zone, it just means that when the attackers are running about like numptys you dont get caught on the back foot trying to follow them, you just swap which player you mark with your teammates with simple verbal communication.

THis is just my opinion, but this is how all the top teams defend, its nothing new.

The Zaliukas, Pressley style of defending where you pick up the man and elbow push and pull the guys shirt has its merits too, but if you try that on Drogba he will brush you aside with his natural strength and great movement and knock the ball in the net with ease.

Totally agree. Have you read Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid? If you haven't, I think you'd like it. Here's his latest article in the meantime:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/dec/23/the-question-football-tactics-develop-decade

An awful lot of people from Englandshire sound like that, as you'll know. Some people think I'm posh, others think I'm a Cockney; I think we're all agreed that I'm a **** though. :santa1:

tosspot doesnt fit into 4 stars :(

Tiger Woods won 4 majors in a row, he also won what's widely considered the 5th best tournament during this run meaning he had the best tournaments in his possesion on his mantelpiece (probably alongside some female underwear)

How is this achievement not even nominated?

Farce!!!

Tiger Woods won 4 majors in a row, he also won what's widely considered the 5th best tournament during this run meaning he had the best tournaments in his possesion on his mantelpiece (probably alongside some female underwear)

How is this achievement not even nominated?

Farce!!!

He finished 4th, Alsie. No doubt, and however unfair it undoubtedly is, his recent shenanigans counted against him. I'd have put him third myself: as I said on the clip, I thought they got the top two absolutely right.

Cheers Shaun, i've listened more in depth to the whole debate now and his recent troubles certainly in the eyes of Sue Mott count against him.

Basing her argument on "i'm a girl"

Cheers for your input Sue!

Bolt's achievements are far more jaw dropping and i have no issue with him winning at all but i'd put Woods above Federer all day long.

one of the arguments for Federer was his aura of invincibility. His many big match losses vs Nadal throw that out for me.

Yang's overturning of Woods in the PGA was his first ever loss while leading a major into the final round.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

macho_vs_gay.jpg

Cheers Shaun, i've listened more in depth to the whole debate now and his recent troubles certainly in the eyes of Sue Mott count against him.

Basing her argument on "i'm a girl"

Cheers for your input Sue!

Bolt's achievements are far more jaw dropping and i have no issue with him winning at all but i'd put Woods above Federer all day long.

one of the arguments for Federer was his aura of invincibility. His many big match losses vs Nadal throw that out for me.

Yang's overturning of Woods in the PGA was his first ever loss while leading a major into the final round.

Yes, I laughed at Sue Mott's reasoning too. At least she was honest! It's awfully tough to separate Woods and Federer: the latter just gets my nod because tennis is so much more physically demanding. Yet Fed never gets injured; and in order to catch and overtake him, Nadal effectively took himself beyond the confines of his body, which sums up the obstacle Fed has represented IMO.

In terms of global impact though, Woods surely beats Federer, and runs Bolt very close. His achievements have been extraordinary. Before he came along, we took it for granted that even the world number one wouldn't actually win that many tournaments. Nick Faldo was regarded as a dominant number one at his best; yet Woods' achievements make Faldo look like a diddy. Watching how he comes back from this crazy saga will be fascinating: and if he succeeds, it'll greatly add to Tiger's legend and ability to connect with the public.

The sweetie rustling and note scribbling the presenters engaged in during Shaun's call is testament to his natural gravitas imo.

Um, you know, um, Shaun, um, a lot of, um, good, um, points there, um.

:D

It's terrible. When I was much younger (I'm talking 11 or 12), I used to be very fluent, and would hardly hesitate at all. Now it's um this, y'know that, er the other. On the bright side, I tend to talk so quickly that I get many points out when others might only make one or two; but if I only slowed it down, I'd hopefully hesitate less. Um. Y'know.

The sweetie rustling and note scribbling the presenters engaged in during Shaun's call is testament to his natural gravitas imo.

Alarmingly accurate comment imo.

Alarmingly accurate comment imo.

Glad to see you take it in the spirit it was intended - malicious. :santa4:

Shaun, were you on 606 a week or so ago. Talking about Uruguay's defensive and slow play-style? I found myself thinking, this has lawson written all over it. Matching the voices, I'm sure it's you.

Shaun, were you on 606 a week or so ago. Talking about Uruguay's defensive and slow play-style? I found myself thinking, this has lawson written all over it. Matching the voices, I'm sure it's you.

Yes, that was me: the weekend after the World Cup draw I think. I wouldn't let Marcotti get a word in! I think he may have been secretly impressed though. Possibly. :santa1:

Yes, that was me: the weekend after the World Cup draw I think. I wouldn't let Marcotti get a word in! I think he may have been secretly doing his Times crossword though. Possibly. :santa1:

Fixed.

It's terrible. When I was much younger (I'm talking 11 or 12), I used to be very fluent, and would hardly hesitate at all. Now it's um this, y'know that, er the other. On the bright side, I tend to talk so quickly that I get many points out when others might only make one or two; but if I only slowed it down, I'd hopefully hesitate less. Um. Y'know.

that seems inaccurate to me:santa1:

the average person can get out 108 points in the time it takes you to make one of yours:smiliz64:

Yes, that was me: the weekend after the World Cup draw I think. I wouldn't let Marcotti get a word in! I think he may have been secretly impressed though. Possibly. :santa1:

I knew it! I recognised the voice. Plus the fact that your call didn't contain any "ehh well ya know errrr" or "AQALARNI".

You did make some good points, Marcotti had to reference wiki to be sure on some of the things you said. Spoony, bless him, was so out of his depth it was painful. :laugh:

On the subject of 606. There's a west ham fan, he sounds like a gay chinese guy and comes on every week on the sunday edition to talk about Alan Green because he's to scared to ring him when he can answer back. It's funny, but annoying at the same time. :laugh:

I knew it! I recognised the voice. Plus the fact that your call didn't contain any "ehh well ya know errrr" or "AQALARNI".

You did make some good points, Marcotti had to reference wiki to be sure on some of the things you said. Spoony, bless him, was so out of his depth it was painful. :laugh:

I hated Spoony when he first started presenting the show. Seemed to me he perfectly represented the dumbing down of the Beeb's football coverage: more interested in name checking celebrity mates than knowing anything about the game. But I quite like him now: his double act with Marcotti works very well, and is miles better than that arrogant gob****e Alan Green's show.

"Aqualarni"? Hehehe! That's hilariously accurate too. And it makes a change for me to force someone else to use Wiki: normally that's what everyone accuses me of doing. Which is most insulting, I must say. :smiliz23:

"Aqualarni"? Hehehe! That's hilariously accurate too. And it makes a change for me to force someone else to use Wiki: normally that's what everyone accuses me of doing. Which is most insulting, I must say. :smiliz23:

It's more a dig at the red ****e who phone in, as a closet toffee. :smiliz64:

But I agree, Alan Green is a ****. I still listen to his show, but he really does my nut in. I used to think he was ok, but the more I hear, the more I hate. To many non-scouse reds on 5live. They need to sort it out.

The Spoony/Marcotti show works well. Where he plays the everyday man who feeds Marcotti quite well.

On the subject of 606. There's a west ham fan, he sounds like a gay chinese guy and comes on every week on the sunday edition to talk about Alan Green because he's to scared to ring him when he can answer back. It's funny, but annoying at the same time. :laugh:

There's loads of freak show acts who phone these shows up: myself certainly among them. I think I know the guy you mean - but there's a complete gimp who phones up and talks about Man City despite sounding like he's got a learning disability; Carl Macar, the legend in his own lunchtime who's a blind, girly sounding Hibs fan; myriad Liverpool fans not from Liverpool who always want Benitez out (whereas any callers actually from Liverpool never do); and some northern geezer who either talks football, Amir Khan or anti-American politics.

However, none of them hold a candle to my favourite ever phone-in addict. Many years ago, long before the time of a young whippersnapper like you LP, there was this Mancunian chap called Paul. In the mid and later 1990s, as United's stranglehold on the English game became total, he'd phone up over and over again, to big up Arsenal, or Liverpool, or Newcastle, or Leeds, or Everton, or whoever had just beaten United in Europe. It was hysterically funny: he was obviously what's known in Manchester as a bitter Blue, but never admitted it.

Eventually, the Beeb got wise to him and stopped putting him through - whereupon he started calling talkBOLLOCKS instead! He was just class. :santa1:

portobellojambo1
Camper than Dale Winton dancing on a giant doily :laugh:

Agree Le Chat, he sounded as bent as a bottle of crisps. :smiliz64:

(Don't take it seriously Shaun).

I don't phone foorball radio programmes anymore, since gettin banned from Real Radio! :(

You got banned from Real Radio?! Must've taken some doing. Please tell us you gave Ewen and Roughie what they deserved!

Agree Le Chat, he sounded as bent as a bottle of crisps. :smiliz64:

(Don't take it seriously Shaun).

Don't worry, I'm not! It always happens when I'm really enthusiastic about something: I end up sounding like I'm on helium. For the same reason, I join in with songs at football games but don't shout out by myself: far too embarrassing when, on occasion, it sounds like more of a shriek than a yell. :smiliz23:

It's more a dig at the red ****e who phone in, as a closet toffee. :smiliz64:

But I agree, Alan Green is a cuntjob. I still listen to his show, but he really does my nut in. I used to think he was ok, but the more I hear, the more I hate. To many non-scouse reds on 5live. They need to sort it out.

The Spoony/Marcotti show works well. Where he plays the everyday man who feeds Marcotti quite well.

Green used to be excellent. He was so honest in a way the TV commentators rarely were - but at some point, turned into this hideous caricature of himself. He thinks he's more important than the game, never stops moaning about bloody everything, his bias towards Liverpool is embarrassing, and he's absolutely loathed within the BBC. He had this ridiculous falling out with Mark Saggers over absolutely nothing, was very obviously in the wrong, but rather than kiss and make up, turned it into "either he goes, or I do". Pathetically, the idiots at the Beeb chose Saggers to be the fall guy.

During the Israel-England Euro qualifier a couple of years back, some Israeli journalists stood up in front of him. Green started yelling at them on air to sit down: you had to be there to know what I mean, but I couldn't believe the self-importance of it. He's starting to rival David Mellor in my contempt, and I hope someone else does to him what a 606 caller once did to the Chelsea toe sucker. A Forest fan called up, waffled on for about a minute about his team, then stopped and said:

"And by the way - you're a ****!"

I almost died laughing.

Archived