• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

RedStarRiot
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

When I was a boy, the Saints where lucky to win a game, let alone a Superbowl.(Or super 🦉,  ma phone sometimes prompts :D )

Oh of course, ‘The ‘Aints’ as they were called. 

I started to follow them back in 2016, I was on my honeymoon travelling across the US and one stop was New Orleans which was phenomenal, I got tickets for the NFL (had no interest previously) I witnessed the Saints losing:

https://youtu.be/bahl5_YirI8?si=Phfrn0r7HdqWH8KG

It was a great game though and I’ve been addicted since. Before COVID I’d travel to the states at least once a season for a game and attend the London games. The pain of following the Saints is a bit like Hearts! The Minnesota miracle, the Rams no call….robbed of another Super Bowl.  

Anyway, even though the Saints lost at the game I attended first, the city, atmosphere and people won me over. I can’t wait to get back for another. It’s been a sore one this year and I’m not happy with Dennis Allen staying in charge but what can you do really. 

Who do you follow and why? (Open to everybody) keen to hear your stories of how you picked your team. 

PortyJambo
21 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

Who do you follow and why? (Open to everybody) keen to hear your stories of how you picked your team. 

The Dolphins, who I've supported now for 40 years (!). Mainly because of Dan Marino, who was one of the first players I was wowed by when watching NFL highlights in the early days of Channel 4 showing the game. Plus I've always liked Dolphins as one of my favourite animals :lol:

I then watched Marino in the '85 Super Bowl, thought he'd definitely be back in another...but of course he never did, and the Dolphins never have since either. Clearly me choosing them as my team jinxed them!

My 2nd favourite player to watch from the early years was Barry Sanders of the Lions, so have always had a soft spot for them too, my NFC "team" I suppose, so definitely hoping they can win at the weekend and make a Super Bowl for the first time.

19 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

Playing football I was a keeper so I've always appreciated the art of defending, when i really started getting into the NFL I looked into the history of a lot of the teams and when I read about the Steelers and their Steel Curtain of a defence that was it, i'd found my team! That was probably around 2012/2013 and in the following seasons I seen the emergence of the 3 B's which was just a joy to watch at times and really should have meant i'd see us in a superbowl, seeing as i'd not been into the NFL when we won in 2009 or even when we lost in 2011.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Playing football I was a keeper so I've always appreciated the art of defending, when i really started getting into the NFL I looked into the history of a lot of the teams and when I read about the Steelers and their Steel Curtain of a defence that was it, i'd found my team! That was probably around 2012/2013 and in the following seasons I seen the emergence of the 3 B's which was just a joy to watch at times and really should have meant i'd see us in a superbowl, seeing as i'd not been into the NFL when we won in 2009 or even when we lost in 2011.

Loved watching that Steelers D, just as exciting for me as a really good offence scoring three or four touchdowns. Watching the Steelers v Ravens games were immense, two fantastic defensive units going at it.

15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Loved watching that Steelers D, just as exciting for me as a really good offence scoring three or four touchdowns. Watching the Steelers v Ravens games were immense, two fantastic defensive units going at it.

The 76 Steelers must be a shout for the greatest D in the history of the NFL, would be wild to see some of these streaks in the modern day era

Through weeks 6 to 14 they recorded 5 shout outs, including a 15 quarter shutout streak

In 8 of the 9 games they didn't give up a TD and only conceded 28 points, 28 points in total over 9 games!!

Forced 46 turnovers

8 starters for the Defence (including the entire secondary) made all pro

4 of the defence from that season became hall of famers

luckyBatistuta
24 minutes ago, Ribble said:

The 76 Steelers must be a shout for the greatest D in the history of the NFL, would be wild to see some of these streaks in the modern day era

Through weeks 6 to 14 they recorded 5 shout outs, including a 15 quarter shutout streak

In 8 of the 9 games they didn't give up a TD and only conceded 28 points, 28 points in total over 9 games!!

Forced 46 turnovers

8 starters for the Defence (including the entire secondary) made all pro

4 of the defence from that season became hall of famers

Incredible stats there, they really are. I’ve never understood folks turning off because it’s a low scoring affair. Yes, some are just a brutal watch, but a lot more are really great viewing, watching these defensive masterminds going at it.

7 hours ago, RedStarRiot said:

I started to follow them back in 2016, I was on my honeymoon travelling across the US and one stop was New Orleans which was phenomenal, I got tickets for the NFL (had no interest previously) I witnessed the Saints losing:

It was a great game though and I’ve been addicted since. Before COVID I’d travel to the states at least once a season for a game and attend the London games. The pain of following the Saints is a bit like Hearts! The Minnesota miracle, the Rams no call….robbed of another Super Bowl.  

Anyway, even though the Saints lost at the game I attended first, the city, atmosphere and people won me over. I can’t wait to get back for another. It’s been a sore one this year and I’m not happy with Dennis Allen staying in charge but what can you do really. 

Another Drew Brees wouldn't go amiss. What a QB that lad was.

Washington Redskins were ma team. Started in the early eighties, around the same time as I started supporting Hearts. 

The colours and Big John Riggins.

The Steelers didn't need the steel curtain, they had Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann ripping Defences to pieces. 

8 hours ago, RedStarRiot said:

Started trying to watch the SB's maybe around 2020 and then 2021. Probably managed a quarter first time round fell asleep and thought WTF was any of that about. Following year tried to watch more and actively wondered what the rules were, enjoyed it more.

So at the start of the 2021 season I got myself the GamePass and watched first couple of rounds of games trying to pick a team - found more teams to dislike than actually like but kept on wanting to watch more of Joe Burrow. The Bengals had also just "drafted" Ja'marr Chase who was unreal in first season and that was that. I then watched LSU's games from Burrow's Heisman season and I was just hooked on it all from then. They got to the SB in my first ever year watching which later I found out to be a total freak of nature against all history as they hadn't made one since the year I was born :lol:.

Now the NFL makes up about 80% of all I watch. Hard Knocks, previous games etc I ****ing love it.

Literally knew nothing about the game 2 and a half years ago. Nothing. Now I pretty much know every teams starting rosters :lol:

RedStarRiot
12 minutes ago, 151 said:

Started trying to watch the SB's maybe around 2020 and then 2021. Probably managed a quarter first time round fell asleep and thought WTF was any of that about. Following year tried to watch more and actively wondered what the rules were, enjoyed it more.

So at the start of the 2021 season I got myself the GamePass and watched first couple of rounds of games trying to pick a team - found more teams to dislike than actually like but kept on wanting to watch more of Joe Burrow. The Bengals had also just "drafted" Ja'marr Chase who was unreal in first season and that was that. I then watched LSU's games from Burrow's Heisman season and I was just hooked on it all from then. They got to the SB in my first ever year watching which later I found out to be a total freak of nature against all history as they hadn't made one since the year I was born :lol:.

Now the NFL makes up about 80% of all I watch. Hard Knocks, previous games etc I ****ing love it.

Literally knew nothing about the game 2 and a half years ago. Nothing. Now I pretty much know every teams starting rosters :lol:

It gets that way. 

in some ways due to the way it’s set up with the draft etc and most teams can go into seasons with optimism I prefer it to football. 

You should get yourself to a game, try London for an experience and think about the states in the future, the atmosphere is great and you can drink beer at your seat of course! 

Redzone is a weekly must in this house, wife chose the Pats as her team so it’s fun when there’s a Saints Pats game 😀 

Love the NFL season, shame the end is near. 

2 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

It gets that way. 

in some ways due to the way it’s set up with the draft etc and most teams can go into seasons with optimism I prefer it to football. 

You should get yourself to a game, try London for an experience and think about the states in the future, the atmosphere is great and you can drink beer at your seat of course! 

Redzone is a weekly must in this house, wife chose the Pats as her team so it’s fun when there’s a Saints Pats game 😀 

Love the NFL season, shame the end is near. 

Yeh we had planned to go down to the Jaguars game the year before last but didn't end up doing it for whatever reason. Might have actually been against the Saints now that I think? Possibly not.

But yeh that is the one thing that's shite is the off season is so long :lol: like ridiculously long. But obviously when you take into account what they endure it is understandable. The money they get for 17 games is disgusting though :lol: ****ing madness.

RedStarRiot
39 minutes ago, 151 said:

Yeh we had planned to go down to the Jaguars game the year before last but didn't end up doing it for whatever reason. Might have actually been against the Saints now that I think? Possibly not.

But yeh that is the one thing that's shite is the off season is so long :lol: like ridiculously long. But obviously when you take into account what they endure it is understandable. The money they get for 17 games is disgusting though :lol: ****ing madness.

That was Saints and Vikings that year. Viking won unfortunately but it was a great day. First time I’d been to Spurs stadium. It’s pretty impressive. Yeah, the close season is long for sure. Lucky there is Hearts to keep ruining my weekends 😂

RustyRightPeg
4 hours ago, 151 said:

Aye it's pretty mental how quick you can get hooked on it.

I've got family in Houston, which was the reason I got into it. Initially started by playing the Madden games on ps2, gives you an understanding of the rosters etc. 

Long story short, once you start watching Redzone on a Sunday, it's very hard to stop. Don't think I missed a Sunday in like 5 or 6 seasons.

14 hours ago, RedStarRiot said:

Lived in Houston so a while and quickly got into it after colleague took me to a Texans game a few weeks after I arrived. Had a season ticket for 5 years, in fact two of my mates still have the season tickets in my name as they didn’t want to give them up when I moved back home 9 years ago.

While I enjoy red zone if at a loose end, I only care about the Texans. Pretty similar to Hearts - I barely watch proper football at all, as don’t care about anyone except Hearts. I’ll rarely watch a game unless it involves Texans. Have not watched the Super Bowl since moving back to Scotland. Can’t be arsed staying up for a game I couldn’t care about.

Edited by Peebo

PortyJambo

Raheem Morris hired as the Atlanta HC, and with only 2 opening left at Seattle and Washington, it looks like Belichick might not get a new HC job. That might be it for him at his age. He'd interviewed twice for the Atlanta job too, so clearly they didn't like what he was selling or didn't like the power he was asking for (maybe wanted to do the HC and GM job, like he was doing at the Patriots).

https://www.nfl.com/news/no-indication-bill-belichick-is-in-running-for-two-remaining-head-coaching-openings

Edited by PortyJambo

RustyRightPeg
25 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Raheem Morris hired as the Atlanta HC, and with only 2 opening left at Seattle and Washington, it looks like Belichick might not get a new HC job. That might be it for him at his age. He'd interviewed twice for the Atlanta job too, so clearly they didn't like what he was selling or didn't like the power he was asking for (maybe wanted to do the HC and GM job, like he was doing at the Patriots).

https://www.nfl.com/news/no-indication-bill-belichick-is-in-running-for-two-remaining-head-coaching-openings

Think Ben Johnson the Lions OC is a lock for the Commanders job once the Lions seasons finished. Seattle intrigues me though.

Also, Vrabel not getting a job yet surprises me. The Titans new EVP, Carthon made a sly dig in his press conference for their new HC though, makes me think there was a power struggle there.

Edited by RustyRightPeg

RedStarRiot
20 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Another Drew Brees wouldn't go amiss. What a QB that lad was.

Aye, should have had another ring but plagued by a poor defence or bad officiating. 

20 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Washington Redskins were ma team. Started in the early eighties, around the same time as I started supporting Hearts. 

The colours and Big John Riggins.

Good that they were finally sold. It’s been a tough few seasons for them recently. 

RedStarRiot
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Also, Vrabel not getting a job yet surprises me. The Titans new EVP, Carthon made a sly dig in his press conference for their new HC though, makes me think there was a power struggle there.

I think the Pats should have taken him. 

hmfc_liam06

Started watching the NFL at the same time we had our first kid, must have been for something to do during night feeds 😅

I just started watching games/Redzone and quickly found myself enjoying watching the Stafford to Megatron connection. And then the city appealed due to my love of their music. So Detroit made a lot of sense.

Managed to see them live both in the UK and the States, although not at home yet. Hoping to do that in the next couple years.

luckyBatistuta

I’ve been watching it since it first aired on CH4 with the classic ‘I Need a Hero’ theme. Had some teams I favoured over others, but never properly rooted for one team until Manning joined the Colts. I can remember sitting watching the 86 Super Bowl cheering on the Patriots against the Bears and being gutted at the drubbing they got. I would be loving watching the Bears doing that to the Patriots now, don’t half hate them. 

Even though I do fantasy football now and it would be ideal watching Redzone on a Sunday, I hardly ever do. I prefer to watch the Colts game, or the most exciting 6pm game live and then the best live game after. All the ones I’ve missed, I then watch back on 60 minute highlights. You just miss the proper buzz of all the drama unfolding in a game when you watch Redzone imo.

Our next planned holiday (had to postpone it) will be great, as I’ll probably get to do the tours of 6, possibly 7 NFL stadiums.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

hmfc_liam06

I’m the same re Redzone. It’s great for getting into it but really, once you’re properly into it then I don’t think it cuts it really.

Nothing beats a full game.

I quite like the Redzone. Find it quite exciting as they constantly switch to games as the TDs are being scored. Obviously depends what the main game on SKY is though.

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’ve been watching it since it first aired on CH4 with the classic ‘I Need a Hero’ theme. Had some teams I favoured over others, but never properly rooted for one team until Manning joined the Colts. I can remember sitting watching the 86 Super Bowl cheering on the Patriots against the Bears and being gutted at the drubbing they got. I would be loving watching the Bears doing that to the Patriots now, don’t half hate them. 

Even though I do fantasy football now and it would be ideal watching Redzone on a Sunday, I hardly ever do. I prefer to watch the Colts game, or the most exciting 6pm game live and then the best live game after. All the ones I’ve missed, I then watch back on 60 minute highlights. You just miss the proper buzz of all the drama unfolding in a game when you watch Redzone imo.

Our next planned holiday (had to postpone it) will be great, as I’ll probably get to do the tours of 6, possibly 7 NFL stadiums.

Same with me for the RedZone. I like to watch a game at 6, then at half 9 or whenever and then try and watch the start of the game at 1. 

Then during the week i'll watch the game in 40 of the other games I like the look of. Redzone would take that away and although it probably is exciting while it's on it would make the rest of the week boring :lol:

luckyBatistuta
37 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I’m the same re Redzone. It’s great for getting into it but really, once you’re properly into it then I don’t think it cuts it really.

Nothing beats a full game.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b140l62k32wknm257q9j

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, 151 said:

Same with me for the RedZone. I like to watch a game at 6, then at half 9 or whenever and then try and watch the start of the game at 1. 

Then during the week i'll watch the game in 40 of the other games I like the look of. Redzone would take that away and although it probably is exciting while it's on it would make the rest of the week boring :lol:

Pretty much identical. Obviously you get the odd boring game, but more often than not, they’re all decent encounters. Redzone can’t deliver the emotion at the end, that you would get if you had sat and watched all the drama of a full game build to that point.

Day@theraces

Expect the Ravens to win. But the NFL is a business and Swift being at the SB may be too big a carrot. Will probably be looking closer at the officials than the players come game time.

2 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

Expect the Ravens to win. But the NFL is a business and Swift being at the SB may be too big a carrot. Will probably be looking closer at the officials than the players come game time.

No-one is fixing a game, ffs. The Chiefs are the only team capable in the AFC of beating the Ravens, but I doubt it. 

Hopefully the Lions can win the whole thing, but unfortunately for them,   the 49ers will hit their best form from now to being Superbowl champions.  

Anyway, c'mon the NFC! 

The chat about a fix to ensure Taylor Swift is in the SB crowd is utterly laughable. You couldn’t get a bigger TV spectacle in the US. They couldn’t make any more money from the adverts - millions of people tune in just to watch them FFS 🤣🤣🤣

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

There are bad calls all the time, it happens. You’re going to go into this game seeing what you want to see.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

No-one is fixing a game, ffs. The Chiefs are the only team capable in the AFC of beating the Ravens, but I doubt it. 

Hopefully the Lions can win the whole thing, but unfortunately for them,   the 49ers will hit their best form from now to being Superbowl champions.  

Anyway, c'mon the NFC! 

Would love to see the Lions win it, but I did put money on the Chiefs to win it all before the season, so hopefully both make it through

NFC suck…just like in our Fantasy Dynasty League. 

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, Peebo said:

The chat about a fix to ensure Taylor Swift is in the SB crowd is utterly laughable. You couldn’t get a bigger TV spectacle in the US. They couldn’t make any more money from the adverts - millions of people tune in just to watch them FFS 🤣🤣🤣

It really is. There was one poor call in that Chiefs v Bills game in favour of the Chiefs. It was a crucial one at the time, as instead of punting, they had a 1st down. These mistakes happen in most games, but some folks just focus on certain ones so that it fits their own agenda.

Placid Casual

Rooting for the Lions tomorrow. 49ers are definitely beatable, Packers should have finished the job last week.

Placid Casual
On 06/01/2024 at 22:13, mbingcrosby said:

Packers-Bears this weekend at Lambeau. The oldest rivalry in the NFL (Cardinals don't count, they've moved too many times and don't play the Bears annually) and still 33 years younger than the OF. Over the last 30 years the Packers have had control of the rivalry, going 47-17 in that time. Here's hoping Love is next in line to manhandle the Bears a few times a year. 

Had to give away my ticket for tomorrow thanks to work travel, but if anyone gets the chance to experience LambeauField, especially Packers-Bears at Lambeau, take it. 

Would love to go to Lambeau one day. The UK Packers group run an annual trip there, seems well run.

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It really is. There was one poor call in that Chiefs v Bills game in favour of the Chiefs. It was a crucial one at the time, as instead of punting, they had a 1st down. These mistakes happen in most games, but some folks just focus on certain ones so that it fits their own agenda.

Correct. The NFL is just as susceptible to shite officiating as any other sport. I still chuckle at the fuss over the “replacement refs” as if the normal ones never make any utterly honking calls.

The New England Cheatahs aren't playing. 

No snowplough was hurt during our(my) broadcast(posting)

Day@theraces
10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Anyway, c'mon the NFC! 

Having witnessed the officials screw the Vikings in the 09 championship game, then yes I believe games can be fixed through bad officiating to suit a narrative.

Apologies if this is a silly question guys but it's one of the only things I don't really understand. I just read this...

"The Bengals are expected to franchise tag Tee Higgins this off-season. 
There is speculation that he has no interest in playing on the tag. 
This looks like it could be a tag and trade option. 
The #Panthers the #chargers and the #patriots are  interested. 

Thoughts?"

What does the "franchise tag" mean? I take it it just means a contract so he is tied to the Bengals and then if he doesn't want to stay they can trade rather than lose him for free?

PortyJambo
7 hours ago, 151 said:

Apologies if this is a silly question guys but it's one of the only things I don't really understand. I just read this...

"The Bengals are expected to franchise tag Tee Higgins this off-season. 
There is speculation that he has no interest in playing on the tag. 
This looks like it could be a tag and trade option. 
The #Panthers the #chargers and the #patriots are  interested. 

Thoughts?"

What does the "franchise tag" mean? I take it it just means a contract so he is tied to the Bengals and then if he doesn't want to stay they can trade rather than lose him for free?

It's a one year contract for the average of the top 5 players at his position in the league. It can only be applied to one player a season for a team. He has the choice to sign it and, if he does, he either plays on the tag for a year or, as per your speculation, he could be traded to another team. In the case of being traded, he (or his agent) usually has a provisional long term contract worked out with the team he is being traded to.

He can also decide to not sign it, in which case he can't be traded or signed to another team, and he would sit out the season. Le'Veon Bell did that, as he bet on himself being able to sign a big contract with another team after sitting out a year (and the Jets did do that...and probably wished they hadn't).

Players can also be franchise tagged yearly, so if he plays on the tag for one year, he could be tagged again for the following season. I think the tag for a 2nd consecutive year is the first year tag salary +20% or something like that. It gets prohibitively more expensive for the team every year they apply the tag for the same player, so it's something that doesn't usually continue happening.

Needless to say, players don't usually like being tagged as they really want a long term contract!

Edited by PortyJambo

PortyJambo
11 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

It's a one year contract for the average of the top 5 players at his position in the league. It can only be applied to one player a season for a team. He has the choice to sign it and, if he does, he either plays on the tag for a year or, as per your speculation, he could be traded to another team. In the case of being traded, he (or his agent) usually has a provisional long term contract worked out with the team he is being traded to.

He can also decide to not sign it, in which case he can't be traded or signed to another team, and he would sit out the season. Le'Veon Bell did that, as he bet on himself being able to sign a big contract with another team after sitting out a year (and the Jets did do that...and probably wished they hadn't).

Players can also be franchise tagged yearly, so if he plays on the tag for one year, he could be tagged again for the following season. I think the tag for a 2nd consecutive year is the first year tag salary +20% or something like that. It gets prohibitively more expensive for the team every year they apply the tag for the same player, so it's something that doesn't usually continue happening.

Needless to say, players don't usually like being tagged as they really want a long term contract!

Forgot to add, the franchise tag money is also guaranteed as soon as it is signed. And that money hit the team's cap all in the one year, whereas long term contracts can be constructed so the cap hit isn't as high in the first year.

The franchise tag money for WR's last year was just under $20m for the year.

4 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Forgot to add, the franchise tag money is also guaranteed as soon as it is signed. And that money hit the team's cap all in the one year, whereas long term contracts can be constructed so the cap hit isn't as high in the first year.

The franchise tag money for WR's last year was just under $20m for the year.

Perfect mate thanks, really appreciate the reply.

So in this instance why wouldn't the Bengals offer a longer term deal if it can be spread rather than taking the hit all in one go? Is it maybe because the player has hinted he maybe wants to leave? 

Not sure I'll manage to stay up for Lions/49ers tonight but Chiefs/Ravens should be superb.

Have to start stockpiling the bevvy and snacks for Superbowl(!)

hmfc_liam06
22 minutes ago, 151 said:

Perfect mate thanks, really appreciate the reply.

So in this instance why wouldn't the Bengals offer a longer term deal if it can be spread rather than taking the hit all in one go? Is it maybe because the player has hinted he maybe wants to leave? 

Tends to be when they can’t come to an agreement on a long term deal.

Higgins isn’t worth top 5 money however.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Not sure I'll manage to stay up for Lions/49ers tonight but Chiefs/Ravens should be superb.

Have to start stockpiling the bevvy and snacks for Superbowl(!)

not just the superbowl but that is the same day we play airdrie

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

not just the superbowl but that is the same day we play airdrie

Evening kick off for the Ardrie game too, nice wee double header there.

5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Boring but I reckon the Ravens and the 9ers tonight. 

i still think chiefs v 49rs in the SB

Sooperstar
16 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i still think chiefs v 49rs in the SB

As long as it's not the Lions I think we can all he happy. 

Cant see anyone disagreeing with that. 

Edited by Sooperstar