**The NFL Thread**

Sterling Archer

Sooperstar
Just now, Day@theraces said:

Mahomes is special but he is in the perfect situation with Reid. He won't be coaching for much longer and he Mahomes won't have the longevity of Brady.

It doesn't really matter does it? He can retire tomorrow and he has achieved more than 99% of players. 

• Replies 33.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sterling Archer

• Larry

• Lt.Speirs

• Peebo

Day@theraces
2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

You know the US is screwed when a senile old man who can barely string a coherent sentence together will get another term.

Day@theraces
Just now, Sooperstar said:

It doesn't really matter does it? He can retire tomorrow and he has achieved more than 99% of players. 

Just stating an opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I don't get the joke and that also isn't going to happen. Because Americans. 

Far-right bams have a bonkers conspiracy theory that Taylor Swift is a CIA agent and that the superbowl was rigged so the Chiefs won it so she could give a "vote Biden" speech after the win so Biden wins the election because she has so many fans.

:cornette:

Day@theraces
2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Far-right bams have a bonkers conspiracy theory that Taylor Swift is a CIA agent and that the superbowl was rigged so the Chiefs won it so she could give a "vote Biden" speech after the win so Biden wins the election because she has so many fans.

Load of nonsense. Stick to copy pasting your posts on the the Russia Ukraine thread.

Sooperstar
8 minutes ago, Cade said:

Oh wow. That's something. 

luckyBatistuta
7 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

Mahomes is special but he is in the perfect situation with Reid. He won't be coaching for much longer and he Mahomes won't have the longevity of Brady.

Mahomes is definitely a special talent. Andy Reid is also a special coach. People have rightly said the same about Bill Belichick and that Tom Brady would not be the same QB without Bill…how’d that work out.

You say he won’t have the same longevity as Tom Brady, but you never know, just look at that picture below and tell me you’d have predicted Tom Brady to even last until he was 40.

The thing that will stop Mahomes catching Brady’s Super Bowl wins for me, is the money. Tom sacrificed a lot of money throughout his career…to win. He could have held out for more money, or even left for another franchise for more money. He chose to restructure contracts so that there was more money around to pay the other guys, because winning and his legacy seemed more important to him. 

Mahomes has already strangled the chiefs with his contract he signed. It remains to be seen what he does going forward.

IMG_6668.webp

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Day@theraces said:

You know the US is screwed when a senile old man who can barely string a coherent sentence together will get another term.

Which one, both candidates are too old, not of sound mind and will get another term. 
Whether Taylor Swift supports them or not. 

RedStarRiot

I’m bored of the Chiefs being in the Super Bowl. Hopefully next season sees them continue to struggle at WR and their defence has some leavers. 

PortyJambo
13 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

You can, loosely, see the similarities between NFL and both Rugby Union and League, the 15 a few minutes ago just slotted in and did what a Fullback would do, I don't know if the 15 number is a Fullback type roll?

I've always thought you can, loosely, compare the positions in American Football to rugby union. American Football did originate from rugby after all when it first started.

Quarterback = Scrum half/stand off

Running backs, or linebackers on defence = Centres

Wide Receivers or corner backs = Wings

Safety on defence = Full back

Tight End or defensive end = Flankers/No.8

Centre or nose tackle = Hooker

Guards or defensive tackles= Props

Offensive Tackles or defensive ends = Second rows

Some are a bit easier to translate than others, and the defensive side of the ball in American Football isn't quite so easy, but there is some resemblance throughout the sports.

Catching up on some of the coverage from Nickelodeon last night. Brilliant and funny.

A live telecast of the Super Bowl aimed at kids (and drunk/stoned adults) complete with cartoony graphics and "star guests" like Daddy Pig and Sandy from Spongebob.

https://youtu.be/PuYNuxBiEKw

Edited by Cade

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

I've always thought you can, loosely, compare the positions in American Football to rugby union. American Football did originate from rugby after all when it first started.

Some are a bit easier to translate than others, and the defensive side of the ball in American Football isn't quite so easy, but there is some resemblance throughout the sports.

Wingers and fullbacks are wide receivers and cornerbacks, safeties are centre halfs. QBs are sitting midfielders like Pirlo etc. All three have similarities. 

Dawnrazor
6 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Cheers for that👍

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

On to the draft...

free agency first!

Steelers already clearing cap space and have released Mitch Trubisky, Chukwuma Okorafor and punter Pressley Harvin III. I can see Allen Robinson joining them on the chopping block just from a financial pov and I've got a feeling that Mason Rudolph will try his luck elsewhere meaning the steelers will possibly trade for a veteran QB and Draft a prospect this offseason.

hmfc_liam06
33 minutes ago, Ribble said:

free agency first!

Steelers already clearing cap space and have released Mitch Trubisky, Chukwuma Okorafor and punter Pressley Harvin III. I can see Allen Robinson joining them on the chopping block just from a financial pov and I've got a feeling that Mason Rudolph will try his luck elsewhere meaning the steelers will possibly trade for a veteran QB and Draft a prospect this offseason.

Forgot about FA.

We've a ton of cap space available this year, over $60m. We will likely be looking at tying up St Brown, Goff, Sewell and Hutchison soon. So we've plenty space to tie up those 4 and still have the funds to make a splash, hopefully at CB and S.

luckyBatistuta

Just hoping and praying we aren’t trading for Stefon Diggs, not a good move for the Colts

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Forgot about FA.

We've a ton of cap space available this year, over $60m. We will likely be looking at tying up St Brown, Goff, Sewell and Hutchison soon. So we've plenty space to tie up those 4 and still have the funds to make a splash, hopefully at CB and S.

We (steelers) still need to offload a few and probably restructure deals for 3/4 of the bigger earners for 2024, after the 3 released yesterday we're currently about $7m over cap but depending on the salary cap number for the year we could be anywhere upto $20-25m over

Allen Robinson is a $10m saving if he gets cut

A new restructured deal for Cam Heyward could save around $9.5m and another $7.2m could be saved by doing the same with Alex Highsmith

Finally 3 others that could be cut to save nearly $10m in March bonuses are Mason Cole (Centre), Patrick Peterson (CB) and Larry Ogunjobi (DT)

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, Placid Casual said:

Felt sympathy for Kyle Shanahan last night. Such fine margins.

Third time losing because he doesn’t stick with what’s working, just hasn’t got what it takes to win this game. 

luckyBatistuta
30 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Third time losing because he doesn’t stick with what’s working, just hasn’t got what it takes to win this game. 

If a coach just sticks with the same game plan in the NFL, he’s not going to be a HC much longer. Yes, it didn’t work out for him in that Super Bowl, but nobody would have been saying that if his D had held the lead he had them with with 1:57 remaining in normal time, or if his D had held the lead he had them in OT. You cannot stick to the same game plan all game in the NFL, it’s like a giant game of chess constantly evolving. You have to give credit to the Chiefs D which after a slow start, then stepped it up.

PortyJambo

Lot of work for the Dolphins to do this offseason, they're well over the cap and have several FA's they'd likely want to keep (Christian Wilkins, Connor Williams, Robert Hunt, Van Ginkel, etc), so the GM will have his work cut out. They only have 4 draft picks as well, due to the stupid dolt of an owner, Steve Ross, tampering with Brady and Sean Payton (they've already lost a 1st round pick last year, and are losing a 3rd round pick this year).

There are several options to restructure current contracts, and sign players to extensions, that will make the cap ok, but doubt we'll be big players in free agency due to having to re-sign so many of our own.

Day@theraces
7 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just hoping and praying we aren’t trading for Stefon Diggs, not a good move for the Colts

Locker room cancer. Although talented, basically swapping him for Jefferson was one bit of luck the Vikes usually don't get. Although he needs paid soon and the Vikes should give him what he is worth. If they do another Randy Moss I'll do a Greta and row over the Atlantic to punch the Wilds and Kwesi myself.

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

Locker room cancer. Although talented, basically swapping him for Jefferson was one bit of luck the Vikes usually don't get. Although he needs paid soon and the Vikes should give him what he is worth. If they do another Randy Moss I'll do a Greta and row over the Atlantic to punch the Wilds and Kwesi myself.

😂🤣

hmfc_liam06
8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You'd probably have said the same thing about Andy Reid after he lost 3 NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl over a 4 year span...

luckyBatistuta

You'd probably have said the same thing about Andy Reid after he lost 3 NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl over a 4 year span...

Impressive in itself that he’s continued getting there. He was only seconds away from winning the thing.

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Impressive in itself that he’s continued getting there. He was only seconds away from winning the thing.

Took him 15 years after that to get his first. It’s very ****ing hard to win in the NFL.

As much as I dislike the guy, it’s a bit harsh slating Shanahan.

luckyBatistuta

I’m not keen on Mahomes as a person, but think I’m going to rein in my hate for him and go along with Adam Schein’s take on him. You should just appreciate greatness when it’s presented before your eyes…

Last year at this time, I put Mahomes in the top five. Now, he's No. 2, behind only TB12. Mahomes has leapfrogged Peyton Manning, John Elway and, yes, Joe Montana. Shoot, Pat's been a starting quarterback for six NFL seasons, and he already has the third-most playoff wins ever, behind only Brady and Montana. He's 15-3 in the postseason, including 9-2 in games where he trailed by at least seven points. Absurd.

He's the fifth quarterback in league history to win three-plus Super Bowls and third player with at least three Super Bowl MVPs. Add that to his two regular-season MVPs, and this 28-year-old is wildly decorated.

Mahomes piled up 210 passing yards and 59 rushing yards after halftime on Sunday, carrying Kansas City to the NFL mountaintop once again.

Never hate on No. 15. Always appreciate the sheer greatness of a majestic player/leader who has a knack for flourishing at winning time.

10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m not keen on Mahomes as a person, but think I’m going to rein in my hate for him and go along with Adam Schein’s take on him. You should just appreciate greatness when it’s presented before your eyes…

Last year at this time, I put Mahomes in the top five. Now, he's No. 2, behind only TB12. Mahomes has leapfrogged Peyton Manning, John Elway and, yes, Joe Montana. Shoot, Pat's been a starting quarterback for six NFL seasons, and he already has the third-most playoff wins ever, behind only Brady and Montana. He's 15-3 in the postseason, including 9-2 in games where he trailed by at least seven points. Absurd.

He's the fifth quarterback in league history to win three-plus Super Bowls and third player with at least three Super Bowl MVPs. Add that to his two regular-season MVPs, and this 28-year-old is wildly decorated.

Mahomes piled up 210 passing yards and 59 rushing yards after halftime on Sunday, carrying Kansas City to the NFL mountaintop once again.

Never hate on No. 15. Always appreciate the sheer greatness of a majestic player/leader who has a knack for flourishing at winning time.

Also seen earlier that it's only the second time in history that the team winning the SB beat both #1 seeds or something. Also beat the top 4 offenses, top 4 defenses, and all on the road.

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, 151 said:

Also seen earlier that it's only the second time in history that the team winning the SB beat both #1 seeds or something. Also beat the top 4 offenses, top 4 defenses, and all on the road.

All that with probably the worst group of WR’s in the NFL

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Sooperstar said:

I see the parade went American. 

Sad as ####

It just never ends 😞

Almost everyone I speak to from America at work says they want to ban the guns, but nothing changes. Still not met an American who likes Trump either.

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I see the parade went American. 

An occasion of celebration and happiness you would have thought. No idea what motivates these ****ing halfwits but hopefully they'll not see light if day again.

Sooperstar
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

An occasion of celebration and happiness you would have thought. No idea what motivates these ****ing halfwits but hopefully they'll not see light if day again.

2 people arrested, one of them wearing an all red tracksuit. Probably an argument over something stupid and someone ends up dead because they're obsessed with their right to arms. 

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

2 people arrested, one of them wearing an all red tracksuit. Probably an argument over something stupid and someone ends up dead because they're obsessed with their right to arms. 

Was looking on news and there's film of 2 folk fighting in London, one of whom had a knife in his hand. Unfortunately for him, about 12 off duty police were in pub about 30 yards away and they perform what looked like a good old charge at the guy and quickly got it sorted.

If that was in US, almost certainly ends in shootings and fatalities 

They just won't listen or learn.

• 2 weeks later...
Pasquale for King
On 13/02/2024 at 12:07, luckyBatistuta said:

If a coach just sticks with the same game plan in the NFL, he’s not going to be a HC much longer. Yes, it didn’t work out for him in that Super Bowl, but nobody would have been saying that if his D had held the lead he had them with with 1:57 remaining in normal time, or if his D had held the lead he had them in OT. You cannot stick to the same game plan all game in the NFL, it’s like a giant game of chess constantly evolving. You have to give credit to the Chiefs D which after a slow start, then stepped it up.

I have been watching it for 40 years, Im well aware of all that.
For the 3rd Superbowl running he has gone away from what works best, he then went back to the original plan and nearly won. I can’t see him ever winning the Superbowl, especially without a great QB, who will dictate what they should be doing. 

Pasquale for King
On 13/02/2024 at 19:45, hmfc_liam06 said:

I couldn’t really care less about other teams, those weren’t Superbowls though and he wouldn’t have a father to ask about how to win the big games. 

Malinga the Swinga

Russell Wilson freed by Denver. They gave up loads when they took him on and 2 years later he's gone.

Where next for him?

PortyJambo
5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Russell Wilson freed by Denver. They gave up loads when they took him on and 2 years later he's gone.

Where next for him?

Falcons, Titans and Vikings could all probably do with a QB, and all 3 are likely out of reach of the top ones in the draft unless they trade up. I could see the Falcons being an attractive team to sign for, with their running game and having Pitts and London as pass catchers.

hmfc_liam06
17 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Falcons, Titans and Vikings could all probably do with a QB, and all 3 are likely out of reach of the top ones in the draft unless they trade up. I could see the Falcons being an attractive team to sign for, with their running game and having Pitts and London as pass catchers.

All the talk at the Combine appears to be Fields to Falcons. Apparently Falcons and Bears had discussions during it.

RustyRightPeg
34 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And Barkley hits free agency...

As a Houston fan...surely. That would send that offense over the top.

Draft well defensively and we could have something seriously special.

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Where next for him?

Record breaking dead cap money...$85M. Insane. 2 Firsts, 2 Seconds, Drew Lock and Noah Fant. Seattle fleeced them.

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

As a Houston fan...surely. That would send that offense over the top.

Draft well defensively and we could have something seriously special.

Yeah that landing spot makes sense. Dolphins will likely be interested too.

RustyRightPeg
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Dolphins are seriously tight on cap space. Texans can give him a bit of long term security. 🤞🏽 

PortyJambo

I don't see the Dolphins being interested, even if their cap situation would allow it. They have too many other holes to fill, at OL/TE/DL/CB/etc, with limited money and picks to fill them. Especially when they have Mostert and Achane under contract, who both fit McDaniel's scheme well. I wouldn't be adverse to them adding a bigger back though, just don't see it being Barkley.

hmfc_liam06
33 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

I don't see the Dolphins being interested, even if their cap situation would allow it. They have too many other holes to fill, at OL/TE/DL/CB/etc, with limited money and picks to fill them. Especially when they have Mostert and Achane under contract, who both fit McDaniel's scheme well. I wouldn't be adverse to them adding a bigger back though, just don't see it being Barkley.

I suspected they might as they're credited with interest in every RB going 🤣