Rugger players are Harry Hoofters

david mcgee

Sterling Archer
I always thought that rugby players were a bunch of overly muscled, collar size 25 types with forenames like Campbell, Farquhar, Toby, etc. Perhaps it is because most of them went to private schools, where only rugby was played, that some of them are coming out as fudge packers?

either you're joking like the last guy or you're an ignorant homophobe.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always thought that rugby players were a bunch of overly muscled, collar size 25 types with forenames like Campbell, Farquhar, Toby, etc. Perhaps it is because most of them went to private schools, where only rugby was played, that some of them are coming out as fudge packers?

I swear, I could actually hear the knuckles dragging as you typed that. Dear oh dear. :smiliz23:

:D

My thoughts exactly. Even though I know that Thomas is still playing, that quote from Shaun passed me by. Probably because it followed an equally unlikely rib-tickler of a gag.:santa3:

Over the next year Ivana, I shall be reinventing myself as a laugh-a-minute comedian who never types more than a paragraph and knows absolutely nothing about sports trivia. Maybe. :santa3:

Sterling Archer
Over the next year Ivana, I shall be reinventing myself as a laugh-a-minute comedian who never types more than a paragraph and knows absolutely nothing about sports trivia. Maybe. :santa3:

Just imagine if posts were counted as a certain number of characters (sort of like twitter and old style sms messaging). You'd be well over 100,000.

Just imagine if posts were counted as a certain number of characters (sort of like twitter and old style sms messaging). You'd be well over 100,000.

I know. It's genuinely scary. :smiliz23:

I P Knightley

Hey, you'll fit right in on this message board I sometimes look at.

It's called HMFCkickback.co.uk.

Badooom-tsshh

:drummer:

Hey, you'll fit right in on this message board I sometimes look at.

It's called HMFCkickback.co.uk.

Badooom-tsshh

:drummer:

lolrus.gif

nothing against homosexuality unless they make it compulsory but what I have never understood is why people who are homosexual feel the need to tell the world. I mean really, SFW?

Sterling Archer
nothing against homosexuality unless they make it compulsory but what I have never understood is why people who are homosexual feel the need to tell the world. I mean really, SFW?

You're being naive if you pretend you don't know the answer to that.

The general assumption is that people are straight. Why shouldn't they tell people? There is no shortage of straight people telling the world just how straight they are (yes i know they don't use those words).

The Mighty Thor

That's got to be a sublime piece of JKB comedy.

I'm expecting him to multi-quote you all with a whooosh any second :santa1:

That's got to be a sublime piece of JKB comedy.

I'm expecting him to multi-quote you all with a whooosh any second :santa1:

I'm not going to do a multi quote, I'm not sure how to.

It never ceases to amaze me how lacking in humour some of the morally indignant and PC types are on this board. I was posting a very tongue in cheek comment. I know a couple of gay blokes to whom I have expressed similar comments and who accepted the comment in the spirit it was meant, with humour. Some people need to get out more.

Yes.

For example, I do not find the OP offensive in any way whatsoever - though you have deemed it homophobic.

I have no problem with the guy saying he thinks Samaras looks like he could be gay. He's poking fun.

If that offends you I suggest you seriously need to lighten up a bit.

Just that I remember a former Hearts player hanging himself because society struggled to accept his sexuality. And no, I won't lighten up bigot. NBA pro John Amaechi had to wait until he retirement as certain US states had laws that were not as liberal as others. He said on radio yesterday that he still receives death threats. Do you wish me to lighten up at that?

Having met Gareth Thomas on a number of occasions via my rugby writing work, he is a decent human being who deserves support from society. Like the man himself says, hopefully a sportsman being gay will not mean a jot in 10 years time. It shouldn't be now but ignoramuses like you and your ilk still make it an issue. If you can't handle the fact that a sportsman is gay and hide behind the puerile dross you class as humour then you need to lighten up.

And noticing the PC barb, time to dust this one off as some people still haven't got the message.

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Gordon Feardie Liar Brown use to hang about the showers after rugby games at his posh school, allegedly.

The Mighty Thor
And noticing the PC barb, time to dust this one off as some people still haven't got the message.

Start a facebook campaign to get Diana Ross' 'I'm coming out' to number 1 for New Year.

You should have plenty folk right behind you, as it were.:santa1:

Say What Again
Just that I remember a former Hearts player hanging himself because society struggled to accept his sexuality. And no, I won't lighten up bigot. NBA pro John Amaechi had to wait until he retirement as certain US states had laws that were not as liberal as others. He said on radio yesterday that he still receives death threats. Do you wish me to lighten up at that?

Having met Gareth Thomas on a number of occasions via my rugby writing work, he is a decent human being who deserves support from society. Like the man himself says, hopefully a sportsman being gay will not mean a jot in 10 years time. It shouldn't be now but ignoramuses like you and your ilk still make it an issue. If you can't handle the fact that a sportsman is gay and hide behind the puerile dross you class as humour then you need to lighten up.

Are you for real? What the **** are you going on about?

Where have I made it an issue about Thomas' sexuality?

Where did I say you should lighten up on people receiving death threats?

Where did I say or remotely suggest I couldn't handle people being gay?

In fact, feel free to direct me to my post that even mentions anyones sexuality. You asked if I condoned homophobia - I answered I didn't (which would clearly include death threats - but you chose to ignore that to suit your agenda) but didn't feel the OP was worth getting wound up about.

If you're going to quote my post and call me a bigot and an ignoramus then at least try to back it up by accusing me of something I've actually said or done. The OPs worst offence I can see is using the term Harry Hoofter. He's said Samaras looks a bit gay. Is there really anything wrong with that? Really?

My only crime is to feel you hugely overreacted to the OP (something you've far exceeded since IMO) yet you now have me gay bashing and condoning death threats.

Your entire post directed at me is utter waffle.

I'm not going to do a multi quote, I'm not sure how to.

It never ceases to amaze me how lacking in humour some of the morally indignant and PC types are on this board. I was posting a very tongue in cheek comment. I know a couple of gay blokes to whom I have expressed similar comments and who accepted the comment in the spirit it was meant, with humour. Some people need to get out more.

But that's the thing about joking about this sort of thing, especially over the internet. We can't hear your tone of voice, or see your facial expression, so jokes like yours will often fall flat. Tongue in cheek jokes about homosexuality, racism or sectarianism are always liable to do that, and to get people's backs up.

More generally: it helps enormously if the joke's actually funny to begin with, as I know to my cost. I've lost count of how many oh-so-original gags I've heard like your one, and given I'm not even gay, dare say your mates must've done on hundreds more occasions. Fair play that you meant no harm and were misconstrued; but once the Six Nations begins, there will really be only so many soggy biscuit jokes I'll be able to take before I kill someone. :santa2:

Matt. Get a grip at once man. Jack of Hearts is one of the most chilled out, reasonable people on here. I have no idea what you're on about with the above; and calling him a bigot isn't on at all. It just makes you look ridiculous.

Matt. Get a grip at once man. Jack of Hearts is one of the most chilled out, reasonable people on here. I have no idea what you're on about with the above; and calling him a bigot isn't on at all. It just makes you look ridiculous.

Matt seems a bit freaked out at the mention of bum banditry......:santa3:

The Mighty Thor

Give him 10 minutes Shaun he's on his

soap-box.jpg

and is still on a high after giving Simon Cowell a bloody nose yesterday.

All this so you could name check a famous person and mention your 'rugby writing work'

Deary me.

That is unacceptable Therapist, during my 'table tennis writing work' I once saw a man shoot a ping pong ball out his bum therefore I have concluded you are a homophobe.

That is unacceptable Therapist, during my 'table tennis writing work' I once saw a man shoot a ping pong ball out his bum therefore I have concluded you are a homophobe.

Sorry Scott. :smiliz23:

Incidentally, I didn't realise you lived in Thailand...:santa4:

I P Knightley

Having met Gareth Thomas on a number of occasions via my rugby writing work, he is a decent human being who deserves support from society.

Errrm, why does he deserve support from society? Are you suggesting there's something wrong with him?

GOTCHA!!;)

I go with the "SFW" approach. Let's not get carried away with this. I think as long as folk are not having a go at the guy or inferring that he's in any way less of a person (or rugby player) because of the fact that he's gay, then there's no need for toys out the pram.

fence-sitting.jpg

:laugh:

I think not! I was siding with JoH, but being respectful towards Matt at the same time. Unfortunately, my softly softly strategy didn't bear fruit, as his next post demonstrated. :smiliz23:

Are you for real? What the **** are you going on about?

Where have I made it an issue about Thomas' sexuality?

Where did I say you should lighten up on people receiving death threats?

Where did I say or remotely suggest I couldn't handle people being gay?

In fact, feel free to direct me to my post that even mentions anyones sexuality. You asked if I condoned homophobia - I answered I didn't (which would clearly include death threats - but you chose to ignore that to suit your agenda) but didn't feel the OP was worth getting wound up about.

If you're going to quote my post and call me a bigot and an ignoramus then at least try to back it up by accusing me of something I've actually said or done. The OPs worst offence I can see is using the term Harry Hoofter. He's said Samaras looks a bit gay. Is there really anything wrong with that? Really?

My only crime is to feel you hugely overreacted to the OP (something you've far exceeded since IMO) yet you now have me gay bashing and condoning death threats.

Your entire post directed at me is utter waffle.

Touched a nerve I see. Hopefully you will one day amend your current stance on life.

So what. Call it as see it Mr Lawson.

No just ignorance Mr Mitty.

Give him 10 minutes Shaun he's on his

soap-box.jpg

and is still on a high after giving Simon Cowell a bloody nose yesterday.

A box I would rather not stand on but those who don't speak out condone with their silence.

And yes it was nice to give Mr Cowell a bloody nose.

Errrm, why does he deserve support from society? Are you suggesting there's something wrong with him?

Not at all but society has this horrendous habit of isolating and stigmatising those who are open as to what their sexual preference is.

@Scott Jambo

It has been an open secret for the last four years (when I joined JKB) as to what I do for a living. I know Gareth Thomas quite well and like the Welsh Rugby Union, I intend to support him through this time should he require it.

Matt, why should we treat Gareth Thomas any differently, the guy was a tremendous player who just happens to be gay

There is stigma in society about being gay however, I have yet to see any posts on this thread who say there is anything wrong with people being gay and their dislike for them, so to use the term bigot is OTT

The only one making it into a big issue is you, I'll guess either you or someone close to you is gay and has had some aggro in the past but that does not make you the homophobe police and everybody who says something that you may take the wrong way is a bigot

Matt - in what way do I exhibit "Mitty-esque" behaviour? Thanks ducky. :santa4:

Surprised you've forgotten given that I pointed this out to you quite some ago. Feel free to read back on previous posts. Thank you for your co-operation. Hope this helps. ;)

Matt, why should we treat Gareth Thomas any differently, the guy was a tremendous player who just happens to be gay

There is stigma in society about being gay however, I have yet to see any posts on this thread who say there is anything wrong with people being gay and their dislike for them, so to use the term bigot is OTT

The only one making it into a big issue is you, I'll guess either you or someone close to you is gay and has had some aggro in the past but that does not make you the homophobe police and everybody who says something that you may take the wrong way is a bigot

Your first paragraph is absolutely spot on. With the other two I'll say this. Substitute the term "gay" for "black" or "Jew" etc and ask if the so-called humour is still (in your own or anyone else's eyes) funny? If the answer is "no" then hopefully people can see the point I'm trying to make about the last barrier which remains to be knocked down so that social equality can be achieved. If the answer is "yes" then the person who thinks that way needs to reflect on their qualities (or lack of them) as a human being.

Surprised you've forgotten given that I pointed this out to you quite some ago. Feel free to read back on previous posts. Thank you for your co-operation. Hope this helps. ;)

Your first paragraph is absolutely spot on. With the other two I'll say this. Substitute the term "gay" for "black" or "Jew" etc and ask if the so-called humour is still (in your own or anyone else's eyes) funny? If the answer is "no" then hopefully people can see the point I'm trying to make about the last barrier which remains to be knocked down so that social equality can be achieved. If the answer is "yes" then the person who thinks that way needs to reflect on their qualities (or lack of them) as a human being.

not disagreeing with your point, but I don't think they are comparable

I've never known anybody to come out as black or Jewish for starters :santa1:

seriously though I don't see anythng that is offensive, and thinking about it I seem to recall having the same discussion with you previously, I'll have to dig back and check

if you do think it is offensive though all I can say is report it to the mods and see hwat happens

Say What Again
Touched a nerve I see. Hopefully you will one day amend your current stance on life.

You did indeed touch a nerve - I don't like being accused of things that are completely without foundation.

I notice you failed to answer any of my questions or indeed point me in the direction of anything homophobic I posted on the thread. Let's not let something trivial like facts get in the way of things though eh?

Hopefully you will one day amend your current stance on life and refrain from branding people ignorant bigots without any justification for doing so.

The People's Chimp

Matt, some of your victimhood stuff on here is incredibly cringeworthy, reacting to the slightest hint of anything you suspect to be bigotry with an embarrassing lack of humour, and, it would appear, insight.

not disagreeing with your point, but I don't think they are comparable

I've never known anybody to come out as black or Jewish for starters :santa1:

Well I suppose those Black or Jewish couldn't really hide their identity. However, one other group (amongst others) were described by the Nazi regime as "undesirable" - homosexuals. No doubt all it took to get the ball rolling was one petty 'joke' going unchallenged, and another, and another before a myth gradually becomes fact which leads to hatred and ultimately in some unfortunate cases, murder.

You did indeed touch a nerve - I don't like being accused of things that are completely without foundation.

I notice you failed to answer any of my questions or indeed point me in the direction of anything homophobic I posted on the thread. Let's not let something trivial like facts get in the way of things though eh?

Hopefully you will one day amend your current stance on life and refrain from branding people ignorant bigots without any justification for doing so.

"Oooh hark at her" was one as was your admission that you saw nothing wrong with the OP. Condoning something also implies approval of a set of deplorable values and thus highlights one to be at best, ignorant. Going back to what I suggested to Malky earlier on about substituting "gay" for "black" or "Jew". If I had spoken out on a post which was racist or anti-semetic (regardless of it being in poor jest or being vitriolic) would you have used a black or Jewish stereotype to convey a feeling similar to "hark at her"?

The cynic in me did wonder whether that in addition to coming out, he had a book coming out.

Gareth released a book two years ago although certain passages that had originally been put in were taken out prior to its release. I think we can take an educated guess as to what they referred to.

Matt, some of your victimhood stuff on here is incredibly cringeworthy, reacting to the slightest hint of anything you suspect to be bigotry with an embarrassing lack of humour, and, it would appear, insight.

And yet we have another cloak used to cover up the ill-perceived attempt at humour that has been displayed on this thread.

I have nothing to apologise for. Flame away if it makes you feel better but, that's my stance on the subject and I'm not about to change it in order to make a few individuals happy about themselves.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Gareth released a book two years ago although certain passages that had originally been put in were taken out prior to its release. I think we can take an educated guess as to what they referred to.

Interesting. A new edition on the cards then?

Miller Jambo 60
Do you condone homophobia?

Matt 2 gays can buckle themselves till the cows come home and good on them.

It means nothing to me.

I have nothing against them but im not going to stick up for them.

TBH i dont care.

Why do you care so much.

What does get my goat is the ones that flaunt themselves to make out homosexuality is there to celebrate .

Not normal.

But we know from shows like Little Britain that Wales is a hot bed of homosexuality anyways.

Not all Welsh rugby players are gay.

But all gay rugby players are Welsh.

Matt 2 gays can buckle themselves till the cows come home and good on them.

It means nothing to me.

I have nothing against them but im not going to stick up for them.

TBH i dont care.

Why do you care so much.

What does get my goat is the ones that flaunt themselves to make out homosexuality is there to celebrate .

Not normal.

We seem to be getting overun these days with gay men.

For a group of people who can't multiply, where the feck are they all coming from?

Well I suppose those Black or Jewish couldn't really hide their identity. However, one other group (amongst others) were described by the Nazi regime as "undesirable" - homosexuals. No doubt all it took to get the ball rolling was one petty 'joke' going unchallenged, and another, and another before a myth gradually becomes fact which leads to hatred and ultimately in some unfortunate cases, murder.

are you honestly comparing people on this board with Nazis?

I give up :smiliz23:

Sterling Archer

Matt you've just taken it too far...yes some people used terms that are offensive, harry hoofter etc. But that doesn't require the huge overreaction on your part, if you'd not been so keen to go on the offensive regarding this I bet you could have got somewhere, instead you've gone and embarrassed yourself and the message you were trying to get across has been lost. You've really done damage to the reputation of gay men everywhere.

Oh and by your criteria we live in a country filled with Nazis, if you can't discuss things like a grown up you'll just get ignored.

Archived