Rugger players are Harry Hoofters

david mcgee

This does not shock me, i always thought bending down behind another man, wrapping one arm around his waist and sticking your other hand between his legs was very suspect.

It got me thinking about football players and i wondered if there might be any closet ones hiding in the premier league.

Georgina Samaras looks a likely contender, i can see him opening a hair dressing salon in Sauchiehall street.

Any other contenders you can think of?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geoff Kilpatrick

A second row's job in the scrum is to bind on by putting their hands through the prop's legs.

Anyone fancy calling Willie John McBride, Martin Johnson etc a poof?

I P Knightley

Spot on, Geoff (and I speak as a former lock/No.8)!

Gareth Thomas is a full back & sometime winger and, as such, is not required to put his head or hands anywhere near other men's parts. Yet, somehow, in rugby union circles, it's those guys who have the reputation for being girly.

Sterling Archer
This does not shock me, i always thought bending down behind another man, wrapping one arm around his waist and sticking your other hand between his legs was very suspect.

It got me thinking about football players and i wondered if there might be any closet ones hiding in the premier league.

Georgina Samaras looks a likely contender, i can see him opening a hair dressing salon in Sauchiehall street.

Closet Homosexual post imo

To the OP. Gareth Thomas plays at full-back and not in the position you described. Secondly, Gareth Thomas is more of a man than you'll ever be.

ToadKiller Dog

Yes Thomas is a full back so its more of a case of

duncan-norvelle-big.jpg

Chase me .

Away from the jokes ,

Its a step forward for sport that he can be open about himself .

But it would be a bit easier in Rugby as it doesnt have the crowd interaction as football or the media interest .

Working in the Borders, I made the mistake of commenting that all rugby players are p00fs and farrmers. What other game involves sticking your head between another mans legs?

This did not go down well and Borderers do not like being typecast as farmers

John O'Shea alledgedly?

I remember the rumour he was going out with Will Young, who has also dated James McFadden.

Young you slaaaag.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Thomas plays for Wales. By definition, Welsh rugby players are normally attracted to sheep rather than humans of whatever sex, so I think this is the real story.

Yes Thomas is a full back so its more of a case of

duncan-norvelle-big.jpg

Chase me .

Away from the jokes ,

Its a step forward for sport that he can be open about himself .

But it would be a bit easier in Rugby as it doesnt have the crowd interaction as football or the media interest .

But where football is king everywhere else, in Wales it is rugby.

I think he should be applauded.

To have the guts to come out to the nation whilst still being (relatively) prominent in the sport must have taken a great deal of guts.

Doesn't change my opinion of him, he is still one of my favourite rugby players.

Say What Again
To the OP. Gareth Thomas plays at full-back and not in the position you described. Secondly, Gareth Thomas is more of a man than you'll ever be.

Oooooh, hark at her.

ToadKiller Dog
But where football is king everywhere else, in Wales it is rugby.

But we know from shows like Little Britain that Wales is a hot bed of homosexuality anyways.

I dont think a Rugby player would be hounded in the way that a top footballer would be ,the footballers every move would be followed by some scroat from the screws of the world .

Its more the media's search for scandal that causes problems .

Miller Jambo 60

Ooops someones not a happy bunny.

Ooops someones not a happy bunny.

Do you condone homophobia?

Oooooh, hark at her.

The same question I asked of Millar Jambo also applies to you.

Say What Again
The same question I asked of Millar Jambo also applies to you.

Not in an extreme form, but I see no harm in the OP.

Your reply to the OP reads like a wee hissy fit to a thread that's clearly in jest.

Coming out of closet post IMO

football is gayer than Rugby tbh.

Correct, Sir.

Oooh, gay rugby player admits he's Welsh shocker! Well, something like that... Good for Thomas: it's just sad he never felt able to say this while he was a player. Professional sport is one of the last bastions of homophobia in this country, and even more so in North America: it's an incredibly macho environment, and I do wonder how coaches, let alone team mates would react to an openly gay footballer.

Justin Fashanu remains the only professional footballer ever to have publicly come out in this country. His life ended tragically, and his treatment by team mates, fans and managers can't have helped. Are we really that much further on now? I doubt it; and anything which helps break the taboo and stigma which surrounds homosexuality in professional sport can only be a good thing.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
Correct, Sir.

Oooh, gay rugby player admits he's Welsh shocker! Well, something like that... Good for Thomas: it's just sad he never felt able to say this while he was a player. Professional sport is one of the last bastions of homophobia in this country, and even more so in North America: it's an incredibly macho environment, and I do wonder how coaches, let alone team mates would react to an openly gay footballer.

Justin Fashanu remains the only professional footballer ever to have publicly come out in this country. His life ended tragically, and his treatment by team mates, fans and managers can't have helped. Are we really that much further on now? I doubt it; and anything which helps break the taboo and stigma which surrounds homosexuality in professional sport can only be a good thing.

Never had you down as a gay sympathiser Mr Lawson.

Or are you just keeping your options open.:drunk:

Never had you down as a gay sympathiser Mr Lawson.

Or are you just keeping your options open.:drunk:

Liar. :santa4:

Not in an extreme form, but I see no harm in the OP.

Your reply to the OP reads like a wee hissy fit to a thread that's clearly in jest.

No just speaking out against bigotry no matter which way you care to dillute it.

Care to clarify as to which forms you find it acceptable?

Fair enough, I knew you where a raving shirt lifter.

:smiliz64:

Like David Beckham and Freddie Ljungberg, I shall take my new found gay icon status as a compliment. :santa1:

ToadKiller Dog
and I do wonder how coaches, let alone team mates would react to an openly gay footballer.

What to you mean by openly gay ,that the player eyed the others up in the showers or talked in a high camp Alan Carr style ?. Or a player who just came out and said i am gay live with it .

I think times have moved on and that a homosexual player would be treated by most as just a team mate ,and i suspect would get strong support from his team mates from any meat head who gave him grief .

In fact i bet he would get a lot of support from exfootballers and commentators in a rush not to sound homophobic .

Most footballers are not as backward as some think more so the younger generation.

I imagime the younger generation of managers would not bat an eye lid and the same for most footballers ,I imagine some of the older managers would use out of date 70s style humour .

Yes he would be a butt of jokes from the opposition support and some of his own ,most likely news papers would search for scandal ,i think after the initial grief it would pass and the game would move forward for the better .

Of course it would be a difficult choice for the player certainly if he was a youngster . We wont really know until it happens .

Fashanu was a sad case but he had many many problems and demons and dealing with his homosexuality in the then enviroment was just one of them .

I P Knightley
But we know from documentarieslike Little Britain that Wales is a hot bed of homosexuality anyways.

I dont think a Rugby player would be hounded in the way that a top footballer would be ,the footballers every move would be followed by some scroat from the screws of the world .

Its more the media's search for scandal that causes problems .

Fixed the first paragraph for you.

Re the second (and the issue in general): there is certainly a different culture in rugby than football and I think a key factor that will see Thomas fare better in his coming out than Fashanu did is that the rugby fans/supporters/followers have never developed the brutal attitude towards their players that they have in football.

Although the game's professional, it's not so much so that there'san enormous gap between the supporters and even the top players in the game. Guys of the calibre of Thomas will not be found swanning around in Lamborghinis and having minders help them to the VIP section of clubs. With one or two exceptions, they are humble and articulate and do not alienate themselves from their support.

There's also the fact that the guy's played 100 internationals, captained the Lions, countless top level matches domestic & European and so has a cast-iron reputation as a rugby player behind him. Only a fool would try to have a go at him based on his sexuality.

Whether an upcoming young star, the likes of Cipriani, would have such an easy ride, is another matter. (And you all know what I meant when I wrote 'easy ride'...phhhpth, fnnaarr etc)

Oooh, gay rugby player admits he's Welsh shocker!

:biglaugh:

You don't mind if I pass that off as one of my own to my Welsh rugby playing mates??

Guest Bilel Mohsni

In fear of sounding homophobic... I am not homophobic... but...

a few points of notice...

Lots of gay guys lisp.

Lots of gay guys have this sort of pinched face and chin combo.

Almost all our clothes are designed by gay guys.

Watching Colin and Justin is evidence that this whole 'gay guys have such good taste' nonsense is a myth... I watched their day-time home makover show when I was off work one day and they kitted this poor lassies bedroom out in... 'Burberry' She was devastated and it looked like an explosion in a weegie school bus!

Say What Again

Yes.

For example, I do not find the OP offensive in any way whatsoever - though you have deemed it homophobic.

I have no problem with the guy saying he thinks Samaras looks like he could be gay. He's poking fun.

If that offends you I suggest you seriously need to lighten up a bit.

What to you mean by openly gay ,that the player eyed the others up in the showers or talked in a high camp Alan Carr style ?. Or a player who just came out and said i am gay live with it .

I think times have moved on and that a homosexual player would be treated by most as just a team mate ,and i suspect would get strong support from his team mates from any meat head who gave him grief .

In fact i bet he would get a lot of support from exfootballers and commentators in a rush not to sound homophobic .

Most footballers are not as backward as some think more so the younger generation.

I imagime the younger generation of managers would not bat an eye lid and the same for most footballers ,I imagine some of the older managers would use out of date 70s style humour .

Yes he would be a butt of jokes from the opposition support and some of his own ,most likely news papers would search for scandal ,i think after the initial grief it would pass and the game would move forward for the better .

Of course it would be a difficult choice for the player certainly if he was a youngster . We wont really know until it happens .

Fashanu was a sad case but he had many many problems and demons and dealing with his homosexuality in the then enviroment was just one of them .

That's all I mean. That no player since Fashanu has ever come out despite the complete statistical improbability of this - while politicians and celebrities have come out during the same period - says there's still a major problem. No doubt such a player would get support from some of his team mates: he'd also get wound up under the guise of banter by others, some of whom wouldn't know where the line was.

Then there's this: I think it's a cast iron certainty some team mates would suddenly feel wary of showering or changing next to him. Ridiculous, I know; but footballers aren't always the most intelligent or enlightened I'm afraid. And the pattern of homosexual players being terrified to come out is repeated across the male sporting world: for reasons of commercial endorsements as well as how teammates, fans etc could react, of course.

:biglaugh:

You don't mind if I pass that off as one of my own to my Welsh rugby playing mates??

As the runaway winner of the least funny poster award, yes, I bloody do! :santa1:

Yes.

For example, I do not find the OP offensive in any way whatsoever - though you have deemed it homophobic.

I have no problem with the guy saying he thinks Samaras looks like he could be gay. He's poking fun.

If that offends you I suggest you seriously need to lighten up a bit.

I totally understand why Matt responded as he did - but completely agree with the above.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
That's all I mean. That no player since Fashanu has ever come out despite the complete statistical improbability of this - while politicians and celebrities have come out during the same period - says there's still a major problem. No doubt such a player would get support from some of his team mates: he'd also get wound up under the guise of banter by others, some of whom wouldn't know where the line was.

Then there's this: I think it's a cast iron certainty some team mates would suddenly feel wary of showering or changing next to him. Ridiculous, I know; but footballers aren't always the most intelligent or enlightened I'm afraid. And the pattern of homosexual players being terrified to come out is repeated across the male sporting world: for reasons of commercial endorsements as well as how teammates, fans etc could react, of course.

Maybe in the old days when there was only soap SL but this is the modern world and we now have shower gel.

Sterling Archer

I think it'd be more of a problem in Scotland. I just can't see some knobhead like Riordan or Boyd or one of those tools being accepting of it.

Fuds.

I just think it's a sad reflection on society that it's even an issue.

But, it is, and I hope that someone somewhere is able to make some good come of it.

No just speaking out against bigotry no matter which way you care to dillute it.

They guys were only joking dude, relax (just do it)

Do you get annoyed with your boyfriend as easily :santa1:

They guys were only joking dude, relax (just do it)

Do you get annoyed with your boyfriend as easily :santa1:

OH. MY. GOD.

HOMOPHOBE!

Correct, Sir.

Still playing. Played 8 full-games for Cardiff Blues this season, and some replacement appearances.

His homosexuality revelations are no surprise to anyone. Common knowledge in Welsh rugby.

Welsh rugby ref Nigel Owen came out a few years ago, with no negative repercussions. A bit a "whatever..." attitude to it. All the people care about is whether or not he is any good as a ref. Surprisingly chilled and mature about it all.

Still playing. Played 8 full-games for Cardiff Blues this season, and some replacement appearances.

Is that shaun getting a statement on sports wrong? :smiliz23: Now I have seen everything...

Is that shaun getting a statement on sports wrong? :smiliz23: Now I have seen everything...

I was stunned.

:Agree:

I'm off to sit on the naughty step. D'oh! :qqb018:

I P Knightley

:D

My thoughts exactly. Even though I know that Thomas is still playing, that quote from Shaun passed me by. Probably because it followed an equally unlikely rib-tickler of a gag.:santa3:

I always thought that rugby players were a bunch of overly muscled, collar size 25 types with forenames like Campbell, Farquhar, Toby, etc. Perhaps it is because most of them went to private schools, where only rugby was played, that some of them are coming out as fudge packers?

I always thought that rugby players were a bunch of overly muscled, collar size 25 types with forenames like Campbell, Farquhar, Toby, etc. Perhaps it is because most of them went to private schools, where only rugby was played, that some of them are coming out as fudge packers?

well you thought wrong.

Archived