Speed up your internet

wibble

DNS servers tell your computer where websites are on the internet. You use one every time you go to a website/link.

Google have released a tool that tells you the fastest DNS servers for your computer.

You then specify those servers in your Router/Modem. DHCP Server Settings

Get the program here:

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

It recommended two DNS servers for me. Neither were google servers and things do seem quite a bit quicker.

DNS servers tell your computer where websites are on the internet. You use one every time you go to a website/link.

Google have released a tool that tells you the fastest DNS servers for your computer.

You then specify those servers in your Router/Modem. DHCP Server Settings

Get the program here:

http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

It recommended two DNS servers for me. Neither were google servers and things do seem quite a bit quicker.

Ah, but now they know what you are looking at!

Ah, but now they know what you are looking at!

Bingo. The whole idea of this is to get people over to Google Public DNS servers (which over time, and with the amount of money Google can sink into them, will become the fastest). Google will therefore have even more info about your surfing habits which is, after all, their aim.

For the vast majority of people, your ISP's DNS servers are more than adequate.

Bingo. The whole idea of this is to get people over to Google Public DNS servers (which over time, and with the amount of money Google can sink into them, will become the fastest). Google will therefore have even more info about your surfing habits which is, after all, their aim.

But you are not forced to use their servers. You can choose the next fastest server if the privacy thing bothers you.

No privacy problems if you are careful about which DNS server you choose.

My top two are both with my own ISP, but weren't the default, and the tool tells me that they are 55% quicker. Definitely quicker so far.

Say What Again

Do people really care that much that Google will know what you're looking at?

If they can provide faster internet, should I really give a monkeys Google will know I looked at Kickback, BBC football, Gmail & Facebook?

If they can provide faster internet, should I really give a monkeys Google will know I looked at Kickback, BBC football, Gmail & Facebook?

Makes you wonder what redjambo looks at, doesn't it? The poster doth protest too much.

:smiliz21:

But you are not forced to use their servers. You can choose the next fastest server if the privacy thing bothers you.

No privacy problems if you are careful about which DNS server you choose.

My top two are both with my own ISP, but weren't the default, and the tool tells me that they are 55% quicker. Definitely quicker so far.

Indeed, but most casual users won't really know much about privacy, and I can see a great number of people using this Google tool. Don't get me wrong, I think it can be a useful tool, I'm just of the opinion that Google didn't exactly introduce it out of the goodness of their heart. There is a great deal of value in them having people use their DNS servers and thus be able to track their net activities to a far greater extent than merely through their search queries.

Makes you wonder what redjambo looks at, doesn't it? The poster doth protest too much.

:smiliz21:

:santa1:One cannot protesteth enough...

The People's Chimp

But think of duckandcover or i8hibsh, do they really want google knowing what they've been looking at?

Archived