Stenhousemuir/Larbert

yvonnejambo

Anyone tell me what this area is like? I am trying to move next year down the way a bit and have an offer of a house in Stenhousemuir. Is it an ok place? I have no idea of areas around falkirk and if any places to avoid. Cheers for any info:2thumbsup:

I moved out this neck of the woods from Edinburgh 5 years ago and don't see me moving back.

Larbert is a decent place to live - it's one of the places I'd like to move to after I sell my flat here (Linlithgow being the other). Lots of nice new housing popping up alongside some really decent older places. No real skanky areas to avoid, good links to motorway and a train station with good service to Edinburgh, Weejieville and Stirling.

Stenhousemuir - other than Asda, not much going for it IMHO. There's a regeneration project ongoing just now, but I still think the area looks a little dated. It's OK, no worse than Camelon where I live just now, but Larbert is way better.

Cheers for the info the house is in Stenhousemuir and looks quite decent even an asda is a bonus when your closest one is over 100 miles away! :10900:

I just dont want to move to a dodgy area when i dont know anyone close by.

portobellojambo1
Cheers for the info the house is in Stenhousemuir and looks quite decent even an asda is a bonus when your closest one is over 100 miles away! :10900:

I just dont want to move to a dodgy area when i dont know anyone close by.

I could be guessing here Yvonne, but going by comments on this thread I get the impression that Junior isn't really looking forward to moving to the Central belt (assuming he'll be moving with you, of course).

I could be guessing here Yvonne, but going by comments on this thread I get the impression that Junior isn't really looking forward to moving to the Central belt (assuming he'll be moving with you, of course).

Its mainly for him that we are trying to move. there is zero job opportunities or chances of going to college etc here unless he moves and I would like to live back a bit closer to civilisation aand Tynecastle :smiley2:

Always planned to move when he finished High School, but my job has kept me here. I plan to try and move in the spring if i can get a house swap and get some work for us both.

Doctor FinnBarr
I moved out this neck of the woods from Edinburgh 5 years ago and don't see me moving back.

Larbert is a decent place to live - it's one of the places I'd like to move to after I sell my flat here (Linlithgow being the other). Lots of nice new housing popping up alongside some really decent older places. No real skanky areas to avoid, good links to motorway and a train station with good service to Edinburgh, Weejieville and Stirling.

Stenhousemuir - other than Asda, not much going for it IMHO. There's a regeneration project ongoing just now, but I still think the area looks a little dated. It's OK, no worse than Camelon where I live just now, but Larbert is way better.

Larbert and Stenny are pretty much the same place are they not?

:th_o:

Doctor FinnBarr
Anyone tell me what this area is like? I am trying to move next year down the way a bit and have an offer of a house in Stenhousemuir. Is it an ok place? I have no idea of areas around falkirk and if any places to avoid. Cheers for any info:2thumbsup:

Hello Y, had a chat a month or so back with Selena about you, she gives you a glowing reference.

:stuart:

Hello Y, had a chat a month or so back with Selena about you, she gives you a glowing reference.

haha thanks I think :stuart: Still waiting on her coming up to Ullapool so she better be quick if I plan to move :smiley2:

Im still owe her big time for her help.

Doctor FinnBarr
haha thanks I think :stuart: Still waiting on her coming up to Ullapool so she better be quick if I plan to move :smiley2:

Im still owe her big time for her help.

The help thing was explained.

:smiley2:

Larbert and Stenny are pretty much the same place are they not?

:th_o:

Kind of, I guess you could say the same about the likes of Dalkieth and Eskbank for example...

I have three good mates who stay there- two in Stenhousemuir and one in Larbert. They are kind of one and the same.

Nice places. Good transport links.

Thanks for all the info, I think I may take a wee detour when down for Celtic match :2thumbsup:

How long does it take to drive to Edinburgh from there? Is there a train from Larbert?

Thanks for all the info, I think I may take a wee detour when down for Celtic match :2thumbsup:

How long does it take to drive to Edinburgh from there? Is there a train from Larbert?

Train from Larbert to Edinburgh every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday. There's only one an hour on a Sunday though. It's a pretty reliable service.

Drive to Edinburgh is about 30 minutes.

Larbert is the nicer area Yvonne,but Stenhousemuir is like any place,parts are ok,but other parts are dodgy.

Whatever you do dont move to LANGLEES,dump of a place,not to far from Stenny :2thumbsup:

Doctor FinnBarr

Just fire in on the way home and go via Stirling.

:smiley2:

the street is Sutton Park Crescent and looks quite close to the football stadium .

A 30 minute drive to Edinburgh sounds bliss :smiley2:

Doctor FinnBarr
the street is Sutton Park Crescent and looks quite close to the football stadium .

?

That should be an okay area,god train service as someone else posted only one per hour Sunday though.10.10/11.15 the times for the Celtic game with 37 mins past the hour from Haymarket back.Round about the ?8 return.

Linlithgow and District Hearts Supporters bus also leaves from the Station Hotel in Larbert,pick up points Larbert Station Hotel-Falkirk-Westquarter-Polmomt-Linlithgow.Usually one and a half hours before kick off it leaves Larbert,send a pm for a phone number for the bus convener to arrange a time for pick up.?6 for non members.

It was describing Ochilview as a "stadium" that confused me.

Haha ok just me being dim, sorry should of said football field :smiley2:

That should be an okay area,god train service as someone else posted only one per hour Sunday though.10.10/11.15 the times for the Celtic game with 37 mins past the hour from Haymarket back.Round about the ?8 return.

Linlithgow and District Hearts Supporters bus also leaves from the Station Hotel in Larbert,pick up points Larbert Station Hotel-Falkirk-Westquarter-Polmomt-Linlithgow.Usually one and a half hours before kick off it leaves Larbert,send a pm for a phone number for the bus convener to arrange a time for pick up.?6 for non members.

Thanks it wont happen till spring if I do move there, but cheers for the info :2thumbsup:

I work in Larbert, opposite the railway station. Sutton Park Crescent is in middle of council estate. It's a 15 minute walk to railway station. Some decent tenants, some dodgy but it is much better than the 'Valley' which is behind the new Asda.

Asda and shops are about 5 minutes walk from SPC. Train link to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Stirling. Couple of decent pubs but better selection in Stirling which is 8 miles away or 10 minutes in train.

There's a new hospital being built in Larbert which will replace Falkirk and Stirling royals in 2011. Motorway is minutes away and all in all it is a good base.

If you want more specific info, get in touch.

2 of my pals i go to pub fter games with come from Stenny.....Quite human ( I think )

I live in Falkirk Yvonne, it's not ideal but it's alright, lots of jambos skulking about although we tend to keep our heads down (esp at the moment :43: )

Larbert's OK although turning into an urban sprawl of new builds, Stenhousemuir's alright I think (dont really know it very well though asides from my dad's golf course being there)

Areas of Central belt to avoid...hmmm Grangemouth, Langlees, Hallglen, Westquarter to name a few, but it sounds like you've never considered them anyway :2thumbsup:

I live in Falkirk Yvonne, it's not ideal but it's alright, lots of jambos skulking about although we tend to keep our heads down (esp at the moment :43: )

Larbert's OK although turning into an urban sprawl of new builds, Stenhousemuir's alright I think (dont really know it very well though asides from my dad's golf course being there)

Areas of Central belt to avoid...hmmm Grangemouth, Langlees, Hallglen, Westquarter to name a few, but it sounds like you've never considered them anyway :2thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with Westquarter.I stayed there for a couple of years.Use to have the best social club in the Falkirk area,the Sunday afternoon cabaret folk came from all over the district.

stenhousemuirhearts

Yvonne a stay just along the road from that street its no bad. the worst place is the valley at the back of asda larbert and stenhousemuir is a good place to stay only about 25 mins to ty.necastle in the car

PHEW! That was close! :stuart:

best thing in larbert is gulnars indian restuarant (and takeaway) the buffet is great, must be best indian in the falkirk area. sadly thats about the only great thing about larbert, been here 4 years and never been in a local pub, train links and and decent house prices are the main reason anyone moves here. get to tynie in around 35 mins in car. done it in 25 on the yamaha:10900:. just now i,m not really in any rush to get to tynie though.:smiley2:

Larbert is quite nice and bits of Stenny are ok. Avoid Bainsford, Langlees, Hallglen, parts of Camelon and Grangemouth. In fact just move to Stirling or Edinburgh :2thumbsup:

Archived