• Created
  • Last Reply
I enjoy Islam.

I'm so offended right now.

Mince

Apologies Mince.

Surprised you're not off on the Hajj at the moment. :2thumbsup:

I P Knightley
Personally, I'm not clear what danger the minarets pose. Very odd, but that's the Swiss for you. :th_o:

From a certain viewpoint, a minaret can appear to resemble a chunk of Toblerone.

I think that explains it.

Personally, I'm not clear what danger the minarets pose.

It's a visible sign of the danger posed to this country (and Switzerland) by Islam.

Incidentally in the Sultanate of Oman - a country that I admire greatly - they have regulations that state every building must have some Islamic architectural features. I don't see why we can't do a similar thing here where we state that all building must not have any Islamic architectural features.

It's a visible sign of the danger posed to this country (and Switzerland) by Islam.

Incidentally in the Sultanate of Oman - a country that I admire greatly - they have regulations that state every building must have some Islamic architectural features. I don't see why we can't do a similar thing here where we state that all building must not have any Islamic architectural features.

Why just Islam though? Should we ban Christian, Jewish, Hindu and other religious architecture styles as well?

Why just Islam though? Should we ban Christian, Jewish, Hindu and other religious architecture styles as well?

We are a Christian country Dave. Any architectural style other than this should be banned.

We are a Christian country Dave. Any architectural style other than this should be banned.

I don't think you really believe that. I don't think we are a Christian country any more anyway.

I don't think we are a Christian country any more anyway.

We are a protestant Christian country although this is increasingly under threat. Time to protect our heritage. Sadly, even our lame duck Prime Minister seems keen to change hundreds of years of tradition. :43:

We were a pagan country before that so surely we should ban Christian architecture aswell?

I P Knightley

Not your most finely crafted sentence but I'll let it pass to ask what features you'd class as specifically 'Islamic'. Surely all architecural themes bleed into one another to some extent?

Excellent move. If only the government here would give the public a similar opportunity to make their voice heard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8385069.stm

32% of people voted in the last parliamentary by election., outside right wing extremists and muslims, who would vote in this waste money and time referendum. whats the point of having elected officials if we're going to have x factor style votes on issues such as what type of towers are acceptable.

what features you'd class as specifically 'Islamic'

Let's not reinvent the wheel. The Sultanate of Oman has already defined the features of Islamic architecture, so let's just ban all of those.

which style of christian architecture is that then? how about the church of the holy sepulchre in jeruselam. you know, the one built like a mosque.

which style of christian architecture is that then? how about the church of the holy sepulchre in jeruselam. you know, the one built like a mosque.

See post #19. I trust this shall clarify matters to your satisfaction. :smoking:

As a member of The Jedi, I sympathise with the other minorities such as the muslim community on this one. I've yet to receive planning permission to build a storage/launch-site just off off London Road, for my Delta-7 Aethersprite-class light interceptor . Consequently its been scratched several times by jakes walking home from The Omni Centre.

Its not on.

Doctor FinnBarr
We were a pagan country before that so surely we should ban Christian architecture aswell?

Yes, and lets get Christmas back off them as well!

:smiley2:

See post #19. I trust this shall clarify matters to your satisfaction. :smoking:

strangely enough, the sultan of oman's views on what constitutes an islamic building.doesnt answer my question of what constitutes a christian building. its impossible to both ban muslim architecture and only allow christian as the two are the same. once again, what is christian architecture?

the two are the same.

:hat2:

No they're not.

what is christian architecture?

Anything that's not on the Sultanate of Oman's list. I really can't make it any clearer for you. :smoking:

No they're not.

Anything that's not on the Sultanate of Oman's list. I really can't make it any clearer for you. :smoking:

a wigwam. a synagogue. None of these make the list and are clearly not christian buildings. Having proven your answer totally inadequate, what is christian architecture. And please dont highlight your ignorance by telling me that christian and muslim architecture dont overlap. The most holy christian building in jerusalem, the site of christ's tomb in, the holy sepulchre, is based on a mosque.

a wigwam. a synagogue. None of these make the list and are clearly not christian buildings. Having proven your answer totally inadequate, what is christian architecture. And please dont highlight your ignorance by telling me that christian and muslim architecture dont overlap. The most holy christian building in jerusalem, the site of christ's tomb in, the holy sepulchre, is based on a mosque.

You've obviously not looked at the list. I can see right through your lies.

It is a list of architectural features, not a list of buildings.

The Mighty Thor
We are a protestant Christian country although this is increasingly under threat. Time to protect our heritage. Sadly, even our lame duck Prime Minister seems keen to change hundreds of years of tradition. :43:

Technically one should say we are a predominately Protestant christian country, although given the sparse attendances at the churches of all denominations these days i would argue we are an atheist country.

The hundreds of years of tradition is pretty much irrelevant to all other than a handful of cranks and religious agitators and even to them it's merely an opportunity to make an arse of themselves during the Glasgow Fair fortnight.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a Christian country. Christianity by definition is about a personal and individual decision to follow Jesus, it's not a race like Judaism or Islam, you are not born a Christian, only born again when you decide to follow Jesus. It's not a corporate thing, it's a personal faith.

Let the Muslims have their minarets, they pose no threat if what Christians believe is true.

You've obviously not looked at the list. I can see right through your lies.

It is a list of architectural features, not a list of buildings.

The style of a building is made up by its features. Nice try at ignoring the issue through semantics.

What is christian architecture? 3rd time of asking. By all means quote the bible if there is some guidance there.

they pose no threat

You may feel differently if you lived under the influence or letter of Sharia law. I suggest you visit Saudi to check out what it's like.

jamboinglasgow
You may feel differently if you lived under the influence or letter of Sharia law. I suggest you visit Saudi to check out what it's like.

so you attempting to suggest that we will have sharia law come to this country?

My father spent a year working in Saudi, I've been to UAE (admittedly a far more liberal country) four times, I am perfectly well aware of what it's like.

Sharia law is not caused by minarets, we still live in a democracy, I don't see that changing because of minarets being built.

Even in the unlikely event that this country's population became predominantly Muslim and MPs altered our constitution and gave it over to Sharia law, I would be martyred and would stand beside my brothers and sisters in Christ remaining true to the gospel. I would consider the persecution a blessing as my brothers and sisters in North Korea or Saudi or Iran do.

For a list of the worst 50 countries for persecution of Christians;

http://www.opendoorsuk.org/resources/country-profiles.php

The White Cockade

we are a free and democratic country not a one faith dictatorship

So we won't be banning minaretes any time soon

so you attempting to suggest that we will have sharia law come to this country?

It's already here in some communities. :43:

jamboinglasgow
It's already here in some communities. :43:

you keep reading BNP leaflets then if you honestly believe that. I have friends who are muslim and I feel sorry for them as they are made out to be a spreading disease on Britain when in fact its a small minority that are a problem while the vast majority are made out as suspects and treated with suspicion.

Anybody know what ra Sellick fans think of this ?

They know a 'victim' when they see one - or they should.

In any case , minarets are banned. So what. It doesn't say moswues are now banned. These mullahs need to use technology - SMS the faithfull at paryer time . Soooooooo much more personal. No more excuses for not turning up at prayer time.

you keep reading BNP leaflets then if you honestly believe that. I have friends who are muslim and I feel sorry for them as they are made out to be a spreading disease on Britain when in fact its a small minority that are a problem while the vast majority are made out as suspects and treated with suspicion.

If you don't believe we already have sharia law in this country, you need to widen your circle of muslim friends.

Oh..and banning minarets from western society is a fantastic idea imho.

The Central mosque in Edinburgh has minarets. Nothing wrong with that as long as they don't allow loud speakers to belt out a lot of noise. Arab/Muslim architecture can be quite nice. Edinburgh is full of Greek and gothic architecture, should we ban that?

Britain is a secular country which guarantees freedom of religion, so banning non-christian architecture is a frankly laughable idea.

The Central mosque in Edinburgh has minarets. Nothing wrong with that as long as they don't allow loud speakers to belt out a lot of noise. Arab/Muslim architecture can be quite nice. Edinburgh is full of Greek and gothic architecture, should we ban that?

The Potter row mosque is a great building but the Glasgow Central Mosque is bloody ugly

2872589145_9b5651a268.jpg?v=0

It's nice that they've gone to such lengths to fit in to the local surroundings

But when it comes to ugly places of worship you've got to go a long way to match the Liverpudlian catholics

rc1.jpg

Presbyterians are too boring and conservative to make mistakes on that scale.

Britain is a secular country which guarantees freedom of religion, so banning non-christian architecture is a frankly laughable idea.

No rights are guaranteed in Britain, we do not have any written rights and have no written constitution either.

But when it comes to ugly places of worship you've got to go a long way to match the Liverpudlian catholics

[Presbyterians are too boring and conservative to make mistakes on that scale.

You don't have to go that far to match Liverpool's Catholic architectural ugliness. Glasgow has a proliferation. .. all irrelevant .

The thread's about whether minarets are appropriate.

I don't think so :th_o:

No rights are guaranteed in Britain, we do not have any written rights and have no written constitution either.

The Bill of Rights Act 1689 (for England) and the Claim of Right Act 1689 (Scotland) are kond of written rights and central to English & Scots law.

Archived