Princess street open for buses as of tomorrow.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Not seen a thread about this. All the tracks are down for the trams and princess street will be re-opened as of tomorrow for buses. Might not be as much of sore eye either.

To be fair to them they have done well with it, They work 24/7 there and it officially opens at 5:30 am. 60 brand new bins being put along it too. They done the new road markings too.

Tiberius Stinkfinger
Not seen a thread about this. All the tracks are down for the trams and princess street will be re-opened as of tomorrow for buses. Might not be as much of sore eye either.

Where abouts is "princess street" ??

To be fair to them they have done well with it, They work 24/7 there and it officially opens at 5:30 am. 60 brand new bins being put along it too. They done the new road markings too.

I saw 5 of them today standing over a hole.

If you think tram lines are good, making Princes Street look ugly then maybe.

The reason they worked 24/7 is they screwed up.

The only city in the world that will have a tram system of one route, and no plans for the future. Waste of public money.

Councillor Dawe said public perceptions of the street had already begun to change, adding she had overheard a group of teenagers talking about how "awesome" it looked.

Please.

The only city in the world that will have a tram system of one route, and no plans for the future. Waste of public money.

Add Sydney to that list.With so many rules and regulations that the cars are about twice as heavy as in comparable European systems. Walking's quicker.

Add Sydney to that list.With so many rules and regulations that the cars are about twice as heavy as in comparable European systems. Walking's quicker.

add to that the monorail and yes the only way to get around is walking, either that or get acab to go in the direction you want not the way they want to go!!

But back on Edinburgh, i was home last month and it really saddened me to see the almighty mess the city was in for a one way tram system from cannonmills up to princes street it was a disgrace i hate to think how much money has been lost on the tourist industry.

A friend from over here visited the city 2 weeks ago for the first time he came back raving about how friendly the people were and how open they were(he and his family are sri lankan and they made a point of saying that they were surprised how un-racist our country was compared to others)...but the majority of the time was spent on talking about how dreadful our main street was and how they really didn't feel like shopping or spending any time in it.

If you think tram lines are good, making Princes Street look ugly then maybe.

The reason they worked 24/7 is they screwed up.

There is plans for at least another 2 lines, I have seen drawings with Tramline 3 on it.

There is plans for at least another 2 lines, I have seen drawings with Tramline 3 on it.

Well, sort of. A T off line which was on the plans for this project was cancelled because the project has run over budget. Line 3, this is a new one for me, I am intrigued.

Even that though hardly provides a tram network system. Proper planning would have a plan with a full network showing what the end result wold be, even if it is 10 years in the future.

The Mighty Thor

Popular misconception. All the tracks are not down nor is the work anywhere near finished. The contractors have had to make Princes Street good for the festive period. All this current work will be torn up again in Jan to allow the contractors to complete the job of laying the tracks for the single (billion pound?) Tram line.

Hibernian will win the Scottish cup before there is a line 2. I'm not sure how old you are but i suspect you may well have lived a very long and fruitful life before there is a line 3.

Well, sort of. A T off line which was on the plans for this project was cancelled because the project has run over budget. Line 3, this is a new one for me, I am intrigued.

Even that though hardly provides a tram network system. Proper planning would have a plan with a full network showing what the end result wold be, even if it is 10 years in the future.

sorry make that 100 years.

Hibernian will win the Scottish cup before there is a line 2. I'm not sure how old you are but i suspect you may well have lived a very long and fruitful life before there is a line 3.
Technically Line 2 was Haymarket to Edinburgh Park then the Airport (there were also plans to take it out to Newbridge). Line 1a was the bit between Haymarket and Newhaven. The extension 1b was supposed to create a loop through Newhaven to Granton then down to Roseburn but that was dropped because of the budget problems. Line 3, which would have taken the tram through Southside to the RIE at Little France, was nothing more than an aspiration.

The Mighty Thor
Technically Line 2 was Haymarket to Edinburgh Park then the Airport (there were also plans to take it out to Newbridge). Line 1a was the bit between Haymarket and Newhaven. The extension 1b was supposed to create a loop through Newhaven to Granton then down to Roseburn but that was dropped because of the budget problems. Line 3, which would have taken the tram through Southside to the RIE at Little France, was nothing more than an aspiration.

so number of lines = 1

Chances of more lines = none

portobellojambo1

Absolutely no feckin chance. This is a one line system (if it ever gets finished at all), and Princes Street is far from finished. It is being put back as was temporarily over the Christmas period, the feckers will be back digging more feckin holes and wasting more feckin money after the turn of the year. As wastes of money goes even this dwarfs the amount spent on that fecking eyesore at the bottom of the Royal Mile.

I assume it will be like Manchesters Stops.

807_06_8958---Manchester-Metrolink-Tram_web.jpg

The Manchester Metro is a superb system.

I'm quite looking forward to them if I'm being honest. However. I won't be paying a council tax surcharge for 10 years to pay for them though. :th_o:

I'm quite looking forward to them if I'm being honest. However. I won't be paying a council tax surcharge for 10 years to pay for them though. :th_o:

Ditto.

I quite living in Midlothian.:2thumbsup:

Intrigued into how we are meant to get on them also, the tracks being on the inside lanes on the road!

jamboinglasgow
Looks like a good job on the rails. I assume they will be building some sort of platforms in the middle to allow one to get on and off the trams?

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=26667

The platform for Princes Street is just before the mound if your heading West to East. It looks raised and has cobble stones around the track where it stops.

I do think Princes street looks really good with the tram tracks on it. I think once Leith Walk is finished life will be a lot easier for the city as most of the work is off-road from then on.

I look forward to the trams (have done since they were first announced, and feel like the only person in Edinburgh who is, was walking along princes street with a friend once and we got talking about the roadworks and he said, "I dont think I have met anyone who is in favour of them" to which I sheepishly replied "well I am.")

I think while they are expensive to implement, there is alot of potential for the future of Edinburgh from this. Effectively you now have a spine for Edinburgh in terms of transport. It may seem over the top to just have a spine, you can add so much onto that in future years. So with a bit of ambition, the council should add the second line that goes to granton and connects in a loop for North Edinburgh. The third route that goes down to the hospital and out to Newcraighall. Bring back the passenger services to the south suburban line so the south of the city is connected into the network. Maybe bring in a card like the oyster card which can be used on all the cities transport, trams, buses, short railway trips. Obviously this may be over many years, but it needs to be started somewhere. Some can be done resonably quickly such as bringing back the south surburban line and possibly a major overhaul of bus routes to get the best out of the routes, and others will take longer due to construction and cost such as extra lines. Having lived in Glasgow for four years, you do notice the difference in transport between the two cities and I do feel Edinburgh short changes itself.

Archived