Another Catholic Church cover up

Say What Again

Absolutely incredible. Yet again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8381119.stm

Surely the one that's still alive (retired Cardinal Desmond Connell) has to be punished for this.

I just heard the press conference in Dublin on 5Live and some of the language coming from govt spokepeople is decidedly undiplomatic - one guy said he was 'repulsed' by their behaviour.

Horrible stuff. I think it shows the dangers of semi-theocratic states and where any one group has too much influence over governments.

It found that the Church placed its own reputation above the protection of children in its care.

They've done so for decades. Totally unforgivable.

Another vile, hideous racket dressed up as a religion.

Look at the faces of the four who covered it all up. Vile.

Thats disgusting. When will this vile behaviour stop. Despite dedicating their lives to religion, this is hardly good Christian behaviour is it.

Say What Again
Only 46 , thats not bad.:th_o:

Beasts.

Just listening to one of the victims on the radio just now. He said he was raped 100s of times - and as part of the cover up, the church just moved the offenders to a new parish where the priest would have fresh kids to prey on and the new priest moved in to replace the outgoing, sometimes continued what the other had started.

Sickening.

jambojackbilly

Any other corrupt and vile institution like that appalling church would be closed down and the guilty jailed

Seem this lot have a ' get out of jail card '

I feel so sorry for the victims and the way they are still treated

I also believe many who join that church do so for one reason, it's positively sickening

Always damage limitation and sweepty sweep from that shower

Miller Jambo 60
Just listening to one of the victims on the radio just now. He said he was raped 100s of times - and as part of the cover up, the church just moved the offenders to a new parish where the priest would have fresh kids to prey on and the new priest moved in to replace the outgoing, sometimes continued what the other had started.

Sickening.

That is just so sad and sick, you just relise how lucky you were with your own upbringing.

And why im so protective of my own kids.

I must admit that this comes as no real surprise, but the extent to which supposedly "good" people covered up the abuse, both in the church and in the police force, just leaves me completely gobsmacked. And now there are people saying that the abuse was all in the past so we should forget it and move on. I mean what were/are these individuals thinking?!!! Religion used to be equated to having morals, to living by a moral code. It's now no longer the case. A recent study in the States, for example, found that those who went to church were more likely to support the use of torture in the "war against terrorism". Crazy stuff. :stuart:

So, what should be done? IMO, A special investigating body should be created. Every single case of abuse should be examined, an environment should be created where those abused can come forward, and every single abuser should be prosecuted, no matter how long ago the crime, and the abused compensated. I would also like to see those accused who have died since the crime(s) took place named, if there is good evidence against them. Also, all those, both in the church and the police who covered up abuse should be similarly prosecuted. Procedures should be put in place, both within the Catholic Church (worldwide) and the Irish police system to ensure that this doesn't happen again. Let's see if this all happens though...

Mac_fae_Gillie
That is just so sad and sick, you just relise how lucky you were with your own upbringing.

And why im so protective of my own kids.

Gotta be proctective

Don't trust a darn sole,teachers, medical ,care staff only a small % are a threat but I got 2 daughters 6 and 11 and got to weigh up every decision about them with 1st regard to thier safety from abuse.

In my day as a kid it was always "stranger danger" we were taught seems very misguided now.

As for this Church cover up I would think a lot of higher ranks of the Catholic Church no doubt are guilty of abuse too so it wasn't about just protecting the Church but about protecting each other.

portobellojambo1

It will be interesting to await and see who is the first poster who comes on and tells us this is nothing more than victimisation of/persecution against the Roman Catholic Church. Anyone who didn't know this has been going on for ever and a day is either stupid or was well taught by the Jesuit priests, "take your children and turn them into men", my erse. "take your children and bugger them" just doesn't have as good a sales ring to it.

It will be interesting to await and see who is the first poster who comes on and tells us this is nothing more than victimisation of/persecution against the Roman Catholic Church. Anyone who didn't know this has been going on for ever and a day is either stupid or was well taught by the Jesuit priests, "take your children and turn them into men", my erse. "take your children and bugger them" just doesn't have as good a sales ring to it.

I'm not sure how anyone could argue that it's persecution.

Clearly this is one religious organisation that needs root and branch reform to make it more open and to ensure that it protects the vulnerable people in its care rather than allow them to be abused.

Other churches have examples of clergy and others within them abusing children but I don't think any of them have tried to brush it all under the carpet in this manner.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It actually just shows what power and influence the Catholic Church wielded in the Republic/Free State/Eire since partition. Thankfully, that isn't the case now but I note redm saying she was 'gobsmacked' at the cosy relationships between the church and state. Church and state were virtually the same thing!

I hope there are prosecutions now. I also hope the very least the Catholic Church in Ireland could do would be to excommunicate the offenders and those who let it pass.

It actually just shows what power and influence the Catholic Church wielded in the Republic/Free State/Eire since partition. Thankfully, that isn't the case now but I note redm saying she was 'gobsmacked' at the cosy relationships between the church and state. Church and state were virtually the same thing!

I hope there are prosecutions now. I also hope the very least the Catholic Church in Ireland could do would be to excommunicate the offenders and those who let it pass.

I have to agree Geoff but must point out that, just like mistaking a Burgundy with a Bordeau, you're confusing your reds. We're both fine wines, but although I have many feminine qualities, I still haven't had the operation yet and remain as male as the day I was born. :curtain:

I wouldn't be happy with your "very least" scenario to be honest.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I have to agree Geoff but must point out that, just like mistaking a Burgundy with a Bordeau, you're confusing your reds. We're both fine wines, but although I have many feminine qualities, I still haven't had the operation yet and remain as male as the day I was born. :curtain:

I wouldn't be happy with your "very least" scenario to be honest.

Whoops! Apologies!! :th_o:

Whoops! Apologies!! :th_o:

No problem Geoff! Redm is a great poster so it was nice to be mistaken for her. :smiley2: I just hope, as you do, that the guilty are brought to justice in this affair and that steps are taken to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

As PJ says, who doesn't know that this has been going on for donkeys years in the catholic church, and don't think that it's just in Ireland - it is across the board. Other huge cover-ups have taken place in Canada, America and there is some evidence of the same over here.

The whole catholic church is a den of paedophilia and any parent who puts their child anywhere near it is:

1. Taking a huge risk

2. Having their child educated by a morally corrupt and diseased organisation

No amount of good people in an organisation like that can compensate for the beasts within, many of whom are the most powerful members.

****ing repulsive and really should be destroyed.

Send the troops into the Vatican, there is more threat to the lives of your children from catholic priests than there ever has been from muslims.

You also have to ask what any innocent priest is doing being part of this church? With the knowledge of what has gone on why would any innocent man remain part of this hideous church? Staying a member of the roman catholic church is basically support for their actions. How can any decent human being be part of that?

Nelly Terraces

From child abusing priests to Muslim preachers turning kids into blinded hate figures and suicide bombers, just more proof that the horrific, bizarre stone aged cult of religion is just for the pondlife of society, cranks, weirdos and degenerates.

It wasn't just the Catholic Church at fault.

The Garda was complicit in all of this, giving tip-offs to Priests who were under suspicion, not following up complaints or just not filing them at all.

Many heads will roll for this. There are simply too many victims for this ti be brushed under the carpet.

There was 1500 caught in America too,as long as the catholic church sweep this under the carpet the longer it will go on.I cant beleive they were moved on to another church instead of being charged,jailed and put on the sex register like every other peodo.

There was 1500 caught in America too,as long as the catholic church sweep this under the carpet the longer it will go on.I cant beleive they were moved on to another church instead of being charged,jailed and put on the sex register like every other peodo.

And not forgetting Australia...

http://brokenrites.alphalink.com.au/

Don't forget they have a Nazi as their head too.

I don't like the current pope a great deal due to his out-of-date conservative views but "Nazi"? Even you, Big Wull, would have been forced to join the Hitler Youth if you had lived at the same time and in the same place as he did. It was obligatory. And yet supposedly he refused to attend any meetings - would you have dared to do the same? But then again, perhaps your simplistic world-view gives you great comfort, in which case I am truly happy for you.

I don't like the current pope a great deal due to his out-of-date conservative views but "Nazi"? Even you, Big Wull, would have been forced to join the Hitler Youth if you had lived at the same time and in the same place as he did. It was obligatory. And yet supposedly he refused to attend any meetings - would you have dared to do the same? But then again, perhaps your simplistic world-view gives you great comfort, in which case I am truly happy for you.

Oh the Old I was only following orders excuse.

Archived