Jim Murphy

Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

Does anyone else find this guy insufferable? It's pretty obvious that his role/media prominence only exists because of Iain Gray's total lack of media savvy combined with Labour's desperate attempt to undermine the Scottish Parliament because they aren't in power. They're trying to use the Calman Report to "show up" the SNP and it's failed spectacularly in my eyes. Apparently we should be thankful for London's "support" and that we should take more responsibility for our finances... but in the same turn we're apparently completely incapable of supporting ourselves. Surely anybody with a modicum of intelligence can see through this rubbish? Why does a "Secretary for Scotland" need to exist when we have our own parliament anyway?

Does anyone else find this guy insufferable? It's pretty obvious that his role/media prominence only exists because of Iain Gray's total lack of media savvy combined with Labour's desperate attempt to undermine the Scottish Parliament because they aren't in power. They're trying to use the Calman Report to "show up" the SNP and it's failed spectacularly in my eyes. Apparently we should be thankful for London's "support" and that we should take more responsibility for our finances... but in the same turn we're apparently completely incapable of supporting ourselves. Surely anybody with a modicum of intelligence can see through this rubbish? Why does a "Secretary for Scotland" need to exist when we have our own parliament anyway?

Strangely enough, given that I'm not in the habit of sticking up for Labour politicians, I think he comes across reasonably well. I agree that he's primarily there to try and make up for Iain Gray's many inadequacies, but he has struck me on occasion as actually being prepared to work with his political opponents in areas where co-operation is clearly in Scotland's interests. (There are no doubt many examples where he has done nothing of the sort, but I'm just going by my general impressions of him.)

He also comes across as being intelligent, which will surely make him stand out from many of his colleagues.

I agree with your other points though.

I guess it's because there are some issues that the Westminster Government has to respond to/comment on and that if they are to do with Scotland then Jim Murphy is the man to do that.

We do have our own parliament but it only has certain powers devolved to it while Westminster has retained the rest. Given that Scotland is an integral part of the UK, it only seems logical that the interests of the Scottish constituencies are represented at Cabinet.

Edit: also, after reading this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8377028.stm the only way new powers can be granted to Holyrood is by Westminster, ergo Jim Murphy laying it out.

Patrick Bateman
I guess it's because there are some issues that the Westminster Government has to respond to/comment on and that if they are to do with Scotland then Jim Murphy is the man to do that.

We do have our own parliament but it only has certain powers devolved to it while Westminster has retained the rest. Given that Scotland is an integral part of the UK, it only seems logical that the interests of the Scottish constituencies are represented at Cabinet.

Edit: also, after reading this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8377028.stm the only way new powers can be granted to Holyrood is by Westminster, ergo Jim Murphy laying it out.

I understand that there are some reserved issues and that issuing them is within Murphy's remit, but that leads me to another question - Would the Calman Commission ever been enacted had it not been for the SNP's win? Why should it take a "regional" loss of control for a corresponding central government to alter said regional parliament's power? It's all very peculiar.

As an aside, Murphy does seem to be drifting into Scottish affairs quite a lot, which neuters the command Iain Gray, in theory, should have. Shame he's a Quagmire-faced, nasally voiced Hobo. I'd question his intelligence and integrity, but the last word in the previous sentence is sufficient evidence.

I understand that there are some reserved issues and that issuing them is within Murphy's remit, but that leads me to another question - Would the Calman Commission ever been enacted had it not been for the SNP's win? Why should it take a "regional" loss of control for a corresponding central government to alter said regional parliament's power? It's all very peculiar.

I guess we'll never know that one.

As an aside, Murphy does seem to be drifting into Scottish affairs quite a lot, which neuters the command Iain Gray, in theory, should have. Shame he's a Quagmire-faced, nasally voiced Hobo. I'd question his intelligence and integrity, but the last word in the previous sentence is sufficient evidence.

Yeah, but Murphy should only be commenting on reserved matters. If he were commenting on Holyrood policies etc then I think he would be taken to the cleaners.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

I think he comes across as that rarity: An honest, sincere politician (!)

He seems to be a genuinely kind type and probably for that reason may not last long.

I think he comes across as that rarity: An honest, sincere politician (!)

He seems to be a genuinely kind type and probably for that reason may not last long.

Agree. He's my MP and whenever I've had dealings with him for Uni, he has been brilliant and offered great information.

Still wouldn't vote for his Party, though.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Murphy was President of NUS Scotland when I was a student.

He was a **** then and he's a **** now.

The Real Maroonblood

I remember Spud when he played for Hearts.

Aye he likes to come across as all nicey nicey and soft spoken but its all false you watch him in his interviews not that the bbc make it hard for him but when he struggles to answer he sqirms out of it by starting to slate the SNP to get away from the uckin question . Aye and thats the same guy spurting his mouth about havin GB football team and fifa would be alright about it and that we would not lose our identity, when some of the top brass said to stay away from a GB football team dont trust him one bit especially on his politics.

A merely competent constituency MP who has supped from satan's cup to gain his present position. Yesterday he accused me of not being a Scottish patriot. The cant. And the hypocrisy.

He had the gall to say that Glasgow NE had spoken for Scotland( backing Brown) when they returned a Labour MP to power there. No mention of the fact it had been a labour safe-seat for 74 years and those clowns won't vote for anybody else "cause ah ayewis huv mahn"

Father Tiresias
A merely competent constituency MP who has supped from satan's cup to gain his present position. Yesterday he accused me of not being a Scottish patriot. The cant. And the hypocrisy.

Cheeky cant!!

Your more of a Scottish patriot than Robert Burns, William Wallace and Hugh MacDiarmid all rolled up together!!

Murphy was President of NUS Scotland when I was a student.

He was a **** then and he's a **** now.

Ha ha - exactly my thoughts!

Cheeky cant!!

Your more of a Scottish patriot than Robert Burns, William Wallace and Hugh MacDiarmid all rolled up together!!

Burns perhaps not the best example, but I thank you for that bizarre thought. Of course murphy was dismissing the motivation and integrity of 20000 fellow Scots to make one of his scripted, london spin, off the cuff remarks regarding "Nationalists, not patriots." I'm confident he will repeat this, amongst his many lies, often enough over the next six months for it to qualify as cant of the highest order.

I,m a patriot but not a NATIONALIST .Cant be ersed with flags and borders TBH

A patriot of what? Even the UK and EU have borders and flags. :smiley2:

Jim Murphy strikes me as a typical west central Scotland production line Labour MP. Sticks like glue to the party line at all costs and has the personality of a dog turd. OK, he is probably a decent hard working MP and does his best for his constituents but that's about it. He has "something of the night" about him as Ann Widdecombe said about Micharl Howard. The fact that he is a Darkheid season ticket holder damns him even more in my view. I should stress that I am NOT a right leaning closet flute tooting/unioinst/Tory.

Jim Murphy strikes me as a typical west central Scotland production line Labour MP. Sticks like glue to the party line at all costs and has the personality of a dog turd. OK, he is probably a decent hard working MP and does his best for his constituents but that's about it. He has "something of the night" about him as Ann Widdecombe said about Micharl Howard. The fact that he is a Darkheid season ticket holder damns him even more in my view. I should stress that I am NOT a right leaning closet flute tooting/unioinst/Tory.

Exactly - how can folk speak so positively about a Celtic fan?!!

p.s. is there such a thing as a closet flute tooter? :10900:

Archived