Time for a long term Save the Hearts Fund

Craig Herbertson

I'm not sure exactly how SoH held it's funds ( high int. bank acct ? ) but maybe one of our posters who's involved in the banking sector could tell us what possibilities there are in say getting one of the top brands to creat a Hearts 3 yr 'bond' type plan ??

The money would be safe ( as it can be ) in a reputable bank :th_o: and earning good interest etc ?

The cash wouldn't be accessible until the 3yr term was up ( maybe a problem for some ) but we would need more time than that anyway to a) amass any sum worth a sook and B) have hearts ( sadly ) in a state where a buyout might be considered

And sorry, no, I've not been drinking at this point :curtain:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure exactly how SoH held it's funds ( high int. bank acct ? ) but maybe one of our posters who's involved in the banking sector could tell us what possibilities there are in say getting one of the top brands to creat a Hearts 3 yr 'bond' type plan ??

The money would be safe ( as it can be ) in a reputable bank :th_o: and earning good interest etc ?

The cash wouldn't be accessible until the 3yr term was up ( maybe a problem for some ) but we would need more time than that anyway to a) amass any sum worth a sook and B) have hearts ( sadly ) in a state where a buyout might be considered

And sorry, no, I've not been drinking at this point :curtain:

That scheme would certainly separate the men (I'm guessing c800 of them as before) from the boys (the rest).

i had an idea of a bond issue a few years ago for funding certain players that we couldn't afford to keep ie fuller. i wrote to CPR and was told that the legalities involved in setting up the bonds was very expensive and he also doubted that enough fans would part with the cash to make it financially worthwhile. this might be inaccurate so maybe one of the financial guys on the forum could tell us more.

I would love to see two funds:

1. A pure protest gesture, with people who could afford it putting next season's ST money in it - "there - we're keeping it in here .. Vlad, shape up if you want it; or ship out- and we'll play brinksmanship up the wire".

Any interest goes into:

2. The fund to accumulate fans' money for long term investment, possible purchase of the club. Interest stays in the fund.

You can put money in 2 at any time. And in all honesty, you can take it out too- maybe restrict that to a twice-yearly window.

A bit biscuit-tin-ish but hey ...

I contributed a 4 figure amount to SOH.I was shocked by how little was raised.I dont think much has changed.Sadly a lot of fans can talk the talk but cant walk the walk.Nothings changed.Its why I cant get into abusing Romanov and calling him for everything since the real people to blame are the previous board and apathetic fans.

Even now we have a decent squad of players which should have been able to compete at the top of the table.Instead we are struggling and I put this down to the managers tactics and his undermining of team morale by his statements.

Theres nothing new about this kind of slump as those who will remember the 98/99 season(when the future was to be maroon after our cup win) under Jeffries will know.

Craig Herbertson

I remember Cruickshank being sacked shortly after the team went on strike way back. I think there always will be bleak times like this. But the bleakest of all would be if we folded. We have to accept that some fans wouldn't contribute. Some would give a lot. I think a mix of the biscuit tin and the high flyer would be the way forward - as long as we could get an operational system that had a very narrow objective that everyone could more or less identify with and was uncompromising. In my case, setting a fund in place to buy tynecastle in the event of a disaster sounds pie in the sky but its the most concrete way I can see of the club surviving - at the very least over a period of time there might some kind of cash to kick start a new Hearts in the event of meltdown.

These are catastrophe scenarios of course, with desperate solutions but if you look at what's out there it's not very cheerful. A fund that grew year by year needn't necessarily break everyone's bank or make us all martyrs but it would acheive a number things - unite fans, advertise discontent, suggest a commitment to an alternative form of administration, possibly attract local sponsors or justify community or council money and maybe even ultimately get our club out of Hell.

We need some Jambo with a financial head to chip in with possible ways forward.

What are the technicalities involved if Heart of Midlothian was to go bust ?

By that I mean what would happen to the name, with Airdrie in mind of course ?

Would any team arising from it's ashes have to be HMFC (2015 ) plc or what

:qqb017:

portobellojambo1
What are the technicalities involved if Heart of Midlothian was to go bust ?

By that I mean what would happen to the name, with Airdrie in mind of course ?

Would any team arising from it's ashes have to be HMFC (2015 ) plc or what

:qqb017:

Think it would be the same as any other company being dissolved. The actual name of the company being dissolved has to remain dormant for a certain period of time and then any new company forming can adopt that name. Think the problem in Airdrie's case was company 1 ceased trading one day and company 2 was formed almost immediately.

Charlie-Brown

I don't know what the full company title of the club currently is but using Middlesbrough as an example they are called Middlesbrough AFC (1986) Ltd (or at least they were previously) after they reconstituted after severe financial problems in the mid-eighties that saw them relegated to the Old Third Division and they had to rise back through the ranks to regain their recent Premiership/Championship status.

Jambo, Goodbye
I don't know what the full company title of the club currently is

Heart of Midlothian plc according to my share certificate :2thumbsup:

portobellojambo1
Heart of Midlothian plc according to my share certificate :2thumbsup:

I ain't convinced we are a plc any more, well not in the true sense of the word. Think we reverted to being a limited company rather than public limited.

We would have to change the club badge as well as the name. I think it would be possible to get both back after they have remained dormant for a certain number of years but I'm not certain of the technicalities.

Regardless of anyone's opinions on a new Hearts being a real continuation of the original one, there would definitely be a reformed club if Hearts went out of business. If Gretna did it as Gretna FC 2008 then there would certainly be enough interest in a new Hearts.

Radioactive Mince

For all those people who compare this idea to SOH: It's completely different. Yes I thought that it was terrrible we only managed to amass the sum we did. That was then and this is now. Even in 2004, the internet was not as widely used as it is today. IIRC, there were no means of DDs or standing orders (not well publicised means at least so apologies if I'm wrong there). I remember collection buckets, the SOH shop, and a website which gave an address you could send a cheque to. This could be a scheme which, given the way the world is today (look at how much JKB has grown since then, for example, or how many people use internet banking compared to back then), would be easy for people to join in with.

This end game is variable - The structure will be one of long term saving and not of an urgent fund raise. I would suggest that a good way of keeping people motivated would be a monthly email newsletter (maybe a facebook site or whatever too) which would state the current membership numbers, the current balance, biggest contribution that month etc.

I, like gowest and bighusref, would be willing to contribute a 3 or 4 figure sum initially and, say, ?50 per month. I think it would be a good idea, though, to impose no actual mandatory contribution and have a suggested payment, or perhaps have different levels of membership. Maybe those of us who work in retail/sales etc could form "club discount" relationships with companies so that your fee would actually give you something tangible for your money. I'm a member of a VW owners' club and for ?10 per year some of the discounts you get in places from main dealerships to small independent traders and online shops are outstanding. I think every avenue is worth exploring. I'd badger my parents to commit to a tenner each or something each month. Seriously: who would miss 33p per day?

I do agree and have stated already that integrity is the key to gaining trust. There must be proper steps taken to ensure that no funds ever disappear and that every known contributor would receive a refund in the event of failure. I'd be unwilling to invest myself if this weren't the case. I also think it is necessary that we have some influential Hearts people on board, whether in an official capacity or simply as a "front of house" job to raise awareness.

ps - I'm not convinced a "New Hearts" venture is anywhere near viable and realistic, as I see some people are turning this thread into a debate on that subject.

Mince

Glamorgan Jambo

Something Mr Robinson did that IMO very successfully stifled the flow of funds into SOH was immediately link the organisation with trouble making e.g. alleged assaults etc

This immediately put off a lot of potential 'higher value' contributors who have businesses/reputations to protect.

A lower profile but longer term and carefully organised fund raising could be a lot more successful especially if the organisation was also linked to 'charitable' activities.

Slightly 'off ma friggin rocker' idea perhaps but what about a world wide Ebay account where people can sell their tat ( generating cash that they will never miss ) and the proceeds go into a Jambo Paypal account that funds, if nothing else, literature and materials for publicising the agreed aims of SOH(2) ......and perhaps even Euro lottery tickets as jokingly suggested earlier :th_o:

I'll get ma coat

Slightly 'off ma friggin rocker' idea perhaps but what about a world wide Ebay account where people can sell their tat ( generating cash that they will never miss ) and the proceeds go into a Jambo Paypal account that funds, if nothing else, literature and materials for publicising the agreed aims of SOH(2) ......and perhaps even Euro lottery tickets as jokingly suggested earlier :th_o:

I'll get ma coat

David Oboua - STARTING BID ?0.99, NO RESERVE.

Colonel Kurtz
Something Mr Robinson did that IMO very successfully stifled the flow of funds into SOH was immediately link the organisation with trouble making e.g. alleged assaults etc

This immediately put off a lot of potential 'higher value' contributors who have businesses/reputations to protect.

A lower profile but longer term and carefully organised fund raising could be a lot more successful especially if the organisation was also linked to 'charitable' activities.

CR didnt have to.

The posturing and playing to a certain target demographic (who in the main had already contributed) might have been easy and populist,but it also alienated the business comunity.

Your final paragraph is relevant,as setting up as a charitible body would mean the new organisation would be restricted by the appropriate legislation in terms of any payments made.

hearts were liquidated in 1905 and ressurected the same year. i think the name change only involved the hyphen in mid-lothian being dropped. would anyone else support a new hearts team in the 3rd division? (post administration) i surmise that this would be the only way of getting hearts back giving the fans a voice and control over our club. imho.

jamboolood1874
Dismal times now, dismal times ahead. Perhaps the fans should get in now before the inevitable crisis and start some kind of long term financial planning to make sure we have a bigger say come the apocalypse
ROMANOV OUT NOW OR FOREVER HOLD OUR PEACE he needs to go NOW!!!

Craig Herbertson

Let's not let apathy triumph. I still think big business will always play a part in football and I can live with that: team's cost a lots, rent, sponsorship it's all necessary. What isn't necessary is to farm out everything to people who have ONLY a financial interest in the club.

Objective:

Buy Tynecastle for HMFC: Reason. It would be difficult to wind up Hearts if the fans owned the ground. It would attract investors when they knew the basis of the club was stable. It would feel good to sit down at Tynecastle knowing that it was yours and no one can take it away. I do appreciate there exists a body of Hearts fans who might think that Tynecastle is part of the problem and a new ground the solution. I suggest those who do, think of another scheme and let those who believe the ground is a major issue start with this fanciful scheme.

On the basis of what's been said I suggest a fund that combines this:

1. A two tier system

Serious, large payments or other investors who simply want to have a get out clause. If the scheme falls apart you get your money back. Maybe some kind of savings cheme where you could just withdraw the cash if you were suddenly broke. (no pressure)

2. Biscuit tin/Greyfriars Bobby Penny method - mostly a feel good factor but you never know and we do still have that daft Greyfriars Bobby statue and for all the Hollywood glitz it was an inspirational kids film. I think we need something like that now. A feelgood making an effort in the face of impossible odds fund. If the scheme fell apart the money could be donated to the youth team or some credible SOH type thing.

Practicalities:

1. A small comittee of trustworthy types including a couple of financially sound and experienced people Numbers to be decided by people who know about committees and probably best to include members of the various fans bodies who've already down so much for the club.

2.Someone clever to draw up this committee and the relevant legal stuff

3. An annual bash at some reasonable venue

4. a fail-safe method of avoiding possible corruption of the fund or its motives

5. Stickies on the websites - promotion in general but without the desperation of previous campaigns until it really does get desperate.

6.Presumably a paypal account and a bank account.

It might be difficult, at this particularly fractious time, but we probably need to look at the longer term bigger picture here. To get anywhere we perhaps need to present this: NOT as just a Romanov out campaign .........but more simply as a fans IN campaign :2thumbsup:

That way maybe we wont need to have a :fill in the blank: out campaign ever again :hat2:

Craig Herbertson

You're dead right. I think Romananov out approaches the problem from the wrong angle and fans in is the key. This may be extremely difficult of course but I refuse to believe its utterly impossible.

Archived