Time for a long term Save the Hearts Fund

Craig Herbertson

Craig Herbertson

Dismal times now, dismal times ahead. Perhaps the fans should get in now before the inevitable crisis and start some kind of long term financial planning to make sure we have a bigger say come the apocalypse

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teuchterjambo
Dismal times now, dismal times ahead. Perhaps the fans should get in now before the inevitable crisis and start some kind of long term financial planning to make sure we have a bigger say come the apocalypse

Have to agree with that - with Romanov showing little interest or committment and with the current debt there must be a good chance of an end game play at some time in the not too distant future. Highly doubtful based on turnover that we could trade our way out of debt and with no sign and little chance of a knight in shining armour armed with millions of pounds there may well be trouble ahead.

Medium to long term financial planning from the club's supporters will not only increase chances of survival in the doomsday scenario but represents a real opportunity to have a say in the future.

Let's hope it doesn't come to this but it would be foolish not to consider a way to take this course of action - absolutely nothing to lose and every chance to benefit the club in the long term - call it insurance if you like.

The last time we were faced with a doomsday scenario it took SOH ages to raise a sum of money that wouldn't have come within an asses roar of saving the club.

Times are tougher now for a lot of people, financially speaking. What realistic prospect would there be of a "new SOH" doing any better this time around?

The last time we were faced with a doomsday scenario it took SOH ages to raise a sum of money that wouldn't have come within an asses roar of saving the club.

Times are tougher now for a lot of people, financially speaking. What realistic prospect would there be of a "new SOH" doing any better this time around?

Can't comment for everyone else but if the prospect is a life without Heart of Midlothian football club, I'd dig as deep as I could.

Guest jambomickey

sad to say none.:57:

Pretty bang on Ulysses.

The original Save Our Hearts proved that many Hearts supporters are all mouth and trousers. They talk about how much they love the club but are unwilling to back it up when asked.

Guest jambomickey
The original Save Our Hearts proved that many Hearts supporters are all mouth and trousers. They talk about how much they love the club but are unwilling to back it up when asked.

i certainly put my money where my mouth is.

i certainly put my money where my mouth is.

So did I Mickey - a four figure sum in fact. Sadly a large number of our fellow "fans" do not have our intestinal fortitude.

portobellojambo1

The Hearts support, as a whole unit, failed to back Save Our Hearts last time round. Why would this occasion be any different.

As a comment on another thread proved what most Hearts supporters seem to really want is for groups like the Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs, HMST and HMSA to deal with things, i.e. they are happy for other people to dig deep, have all the hassle etc. These groups are going through difficult times as well, the FHSC has lost 4 member clubs this season through reduced numbers wishing to travel and support the club.

And many of those involved the last time are still repaying the loans they had to take out to make the payments they did.

Craig Herbertson

I'm possibly talking mince but my impression is that in earlier days of the club you had a bunch of home grown fans, home grown players, directors from the area, club staff with long associations and so. Clearly as time went on this got diluted and doubtless in some ways that sort of fierce local thing was better for having outside influence- but the general feeling of apathy I am sure has something to do with this sense of anonmity.

We now have a director from elsewhere a manger from elsewhere, most players from outside town and the prospect that anyone could just pull the legs from under us should financial catastrophe dictate.

In the past fans investing in the club by buying a ticket and a strip for the wee fellow. Now more serious measures seem necessary simply to counteract the fact that beyond money and prestige many people at the club have little emotional interest

I am not for a second advocating some kind of ban on 'foreign' influence because that can often bring quite marvelous rewards. What I am saying is that unless somehow the fans can't create some insurance policy our lives are going to be ruthlessly dictated by an anonymous finacial process.

What I was thinking of is some kind of financial insurance policy piggy bank where you just chipped in a few quid now and again and perhaps over the years it might be enough to make a difference.

Apologies but I can't help feeling a general sense of gloom about the long term future of the club.

On you go and lead the way!

Can't comment for everyone else but if the prospect is a life without Heart of Midlothian football club, I'd dig as deep as I could.

Someone else can go Google and get a more accurate picture than the one I'm about to paint, but here goes anyway.

Faced with possible extinction after the "McWimbledon" move to Milton Keynes, the Dons Trust managed to raise enough money to buy the ground they were sharing with Kingstonian. I don't know the precise amount involved, but the ground purchase price was about ?3 million.

Faced with possible extinction after the decision to sell Tynecastle to Cala, HoMST managed to raise something like ?500,000, from a support base about 4 times bigger than AFC Wimbledon's.

Guest jambomickey
On you go and lead the way!

just like you done ourself all those years ago when telling hazel irvine if we won the cup you wouldn't be going back? we won the cup and you returned.:smiley2:

portobellojambo1
Someone else can go Google and get a more accurate picture than the one I'm about to paint, but here goes anyway.

Faced with possible extinction after the "McWimbledon" move to Milton Keynes, the Dons Trust managed to raise enough money to buy the ground they were sharing with Kingstonian. I don't know the precise amount involved, but the ground purchase price was about ?3 million.

Faced with possible extinction after the decision to sell Tynecastle to Cala, HoMST managed to raise something like ?500,000, from a support base about 4 times bigger than AFC Wimbledon's.

If I remember rightly a fairly large part of that amount came from around 2 or 3 people, one of them an actor, the other a former player.

I wholeheartedly agree Ulysses. We're talking impossibility here and the only thing that it would do is get people's hopes up that we could change things when in fact we can't. The reality is that we can't do anything else with this situation but watch from the sidelines as it unfolds.

Teuchterjambo
So did I Mickey - a four figure sum in fact. Sadly a large number of our fellow "fans" do not have our intestinal fortitude.

Are we not getting a bit harsh on some fans ? - like yourself I put money in and would do it again if needed but like you was maybe fortunate that we were able to afford to be able to do it. Not everyone was/is in that position.

It's quite staggering really

To be honest you would probably have to name and shame people and that would be counter productive. Just look at JKB itself. Loads of people want to air their views on here yet many seem to feel quite justified in saying "it's got **** all to do with you mate" as to why they can't give ?5 a year to help the cause

Are we not getting a bit harsh on some fans ?

I don't believe so. One can always find money somehow if one believes it is absolutely necessary.

It's quite staggering really

To be honest you would probably have to name and shame people and that would be counter productive.

It would be counter-productive, and I don't believe in that kind of approach.

But if a support base of 4,000 people or thereabouts could raise the money to fund a ?3 million project, that raises two questions that are pertinent to us. Firstly, why could our support base not raise the money to fund a ?15 million project? Secondly, even if we could, would it be enough?

I will pledge next year's season ticket cash. Incidentally, if it was publicised properly that the fans were even considering this, it may well bring VR so his senses and to start treating us with a bit more respect.

It's a staggering stat. In our case, I've always assumed the reason more people didn't get involved was because it wasn't demonstrably provable that the club would die if we moved to Murrayfield. Certainly, many of us thought it would; but that was only ever opinion, never definitive fact.

I think fanbases generally only get fully involved in campaigns and protests when their football club's existence is in clear, imminent danger. Even then, it's invariably the job of an administrator to find a buyer; and in modern football, the realities and sums involved mean all the power rests with super wealthy individuals doing deals in smoke filled rooms. The fans can't do anything really, apart from publicise their club's plight in the hope of attracting a buyer.

But when fans of other clubs point at us and wonder why we've never moved against Romanov, they forget that we've been down this road before, only five years ago. And what SOH found was so depressing that it's no wonder we're loathe to do anything now; especially as the options open to us are almost nil, and the figure needed to buy Romanov out is so much more than when Robinson was here.

Teuchterjambo
I don't believe so. One can always find money somehow if one believes it is absolutely necessary.

An anology on that may be that a drug addict will always find the money when their habit decrees it absolutely necessary - the methods by which they acquire the money may not be all that we wish though.

There are many people particularly with young families who have to make decsions about what they do with their disposable income and faced with funding a football club or looking after their children - most will opt for the kids and those that don't should be ashamed of themselves.

Guest jambomickey
It's a staggering stat. In our case, I've always assumed the reason more people didn't get involved was because it wasn't demonstrably provable that the club would die if we moved to Murrayfield. Certainly, many of us thought it would; but that was only ever opinion, never definitive fact.

I think fanbases generally only get fully involved in campaigns and protests when their football club's existence is in clear, imminent danger. Even then, it's invariably the job of an administrator to find a buyer; and in modern football, the realities and sums involved mean all the power rests with super wealthy individuals doing deals in smoke filled rooms. The fans can't do anything really, apart from publicise their club's plight in the hope of attracting a buyer.

But when fans of other clubs point at us and wonder why we've never moved against Romanov, they forget that we've been down this road before, only five years ago. And what SOH found was so depressing that it's no wonder we're loathe to do anything now; especially as the options open to us are almost nil, and the figure needed to buy Romanov out is so much more than when Robinson was here.

there were hearts fans who backed robinsons plan shaun.

I will pledge next year's season ticket cash. Incidentally, if it was publicised properly that the fans were even considering this, it may well bring VR so his senses and to start treating us with a bit more respect.

It will require something like that, an official petition of sorts, handed to Campbell Ogilvie on the Clubs doorstep, stating that we will be withholding ?1.5m in ST payments ( a guess at 5000 x ?300 ) unless action is taken. However you will probably get de-railed at the very start with a fair proportion of people saying things like "I've had my ST for 40 years and wont be deserting my club any time soon" :hang:

Craig Herbertson

There are obviously priorities in life and I wouldn't disagree Teuchterjambo, that family comes before a football team. On the other hand you're family has to do something on saturday and for many that means going to watch Hearts at Tyncastle. If Hearts aren't there to watch, the quality of your family life is going to be diminished.

SOH went for shares in the club in the end. Maybe that was the right thing to do to gain a foothold in influence. My own gut feeling is that we need a slow burning fund probably run by a tiny uncorruptable committee with a single express purpose like for example, buy Tyncastle Park to be held for the club. The committe could be uncorruptable because it would have no access to funds other than to pay money into a fund that would be used only in a very narrow frame of events.

I can see problems with motivation for a fund that has perhaps no visible end in sight but then again if it was just like the wee tin at the charity shop where you bang in loose change now and again it might eventually work. With facilties like paypal all it would take was the odd reminder - once a year party bash, sticky on kickback and the like. It needn't be a high powered thing, more like the co op funeral fund.

Tin hat at the ready, in my days of being a real supporter I had two infant children, a substantial mortgage and a salary that just covered my obligations. My sole and heartfelt source of entertainment was my Saturday football, primarily Hearts, although as happened in those days it was not unusual to get ones football fix by going to Easter Road on the alternate weekend. Much as I loved Hearts I know that my responsibility to my family would have excluded my giving any sum of money that would have made a difference to the survival, if they had been in the situation they are today. As suggested money c an be obtained if one is sufficiently motivated, but for me to take out a loan in those days for something like SOH I regret to say in the financial climate of the time would have been irresponsible.

As far as the club going into administration and dropping to 3rd division, a noble suggestion, but I am afraid would have the same effect as a move to Murrayfield would have had. I fear that it would spell the end of HMFC.

I have no solution, the alternatives just at this time do not exist. I know hindsight is 20/20 but the die was cast when HMFC had reached a period of desperation and the drowning man grabbed the first life line that was thrown, unfortunately it was loose at the wrong end. I am surprised that no one in the head hunting group had any experience of dealing with the Russian phsyche. Vladimir Romanov I repeat is neither crazy, insane or a coward. He is a perfect example of a system that existed for a number of years and developed characteristics in its system that are different, and totally unacceptable to most of us. This generally manifests itself in a need for power, need for approval, total demand for retribution when perceiving having been crossed, and to magnify all of these phobias a total feeling of paranoia. So as I said I personally have no solutions, but I would respectfully request that as you deliberate action first study closely your opposition, study his tactics, because I c an assure you he and his people will be studying yours.

Teuchterjambo
There are obviously priorities in life and I wouldn't disagree Teuchterjambo, that family comes before a football team. On the other hand you're family has to do something on saturday and for many that means going to watch Hearts at Tyncastle. If Hearts aren't there to watch, the quality of your family life is going to be diminished.

SOH went for shares in the club in the end. Maybe that was the right thing to do to gain a foothold in influence. My own gut feeling is that we need a slow burning fund probably run by a tiny uncorruptable committee with a single express purpose like for example, buy Tyncastle Park to be held for the club. The committe could be uncorruptable because it would have no access to funds other than to pay money into a fund that would be used only in a very narrow frame of events.

I can see problems with motivation for a fund that has perhaps no visible end in sight but then again if it was just like the wee tin at the charity shop where you bang in loose change now and again it might eventually work. With facilties like paypal all it would take was the odd reminder - once a year party bash, sticky on kickback and the like. It needn't be a high powered thing, more like the co op funeral fund.

My point was that sometimes for some people the money just isn't there to pay out to something like SOH no matter how you try.

I am in total agreement with you on the slow burning fund - as many people on here have already said it will probably never be viable in saving the club in the doomsady scenario but it certainly could be valuable in terms of gaining influence in some kind of restructuring that may well have to take place at some time. Even in the doomsday scenario it may be valuable after the event to reform and start from scratch. If people can afford to give I don't see what can be lost in doing this - in any scenario something could be found to put it to good use.

I fall into the camp you mention. I didn't invest in SOH but did have the means to do so. Not wishing to open up old wounds and arguments but it seemed more of an SOT campaign to me at the time.

Nelly Terraces

The times come for a united front at the very least.

1 Hearts supporters club, with a high profile person as Head to start with then someone voted by the members after that.

Preyty simple really. It's first job, a petition from all Hearts fans asking for some more honesty and what the plans are from Romanov. Feck all these seperate groups, time everyone got together. Idea of pledging ST cash it a top one. Would be well up for that, as at the moment, there's no dnager i'll be getting one next seaz anyway.

There are clubs owned by supporters so it can be done. I realise we are no Barcelona or Hamburg but there must be other examples to look at of similar sized clubs.

I am not aware of what happened during the SOH last time around, but do we just sit around and watch our club suffer a lingering demise? Lets face it no one is going to buy romanov out - so it is up to us to do something.

I appreciate most people do not have large sums of money to invest to buy a football club, but a fiver a week - ?20.00 per month on a Direct Debit for a 10year plan = ?2,400 x 10,000 (less than our average crowd - but maybe not for much longer) is 24,000,000.

Now I have no idea what price the club would cost, but surely for a Fiver a week (or similar amount), it is better than watching our current lot toil every week!

No need for Google. I'm a member of the Dons Trust who own AFC Wimbledon and I can assure you we did not raise ?3m to buy the ground. A deal was done and we secured ownership, but that involved loans which are still being paid and will be for some time.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Boycotting season tickets is a complete non-starter, certainly with Hearts fans.

This was raised two years ago after the 8th place finish.

There is lingering thoughts still that the very threat of it may have helped Romanov decide that the very least he could do was bring in a "normal" manager. But that may be wishful thinking.

Last season Laszlo was God. This season he is a villain. However the envronment at Tynecastle is not normal. No manager can work normally at this club.

I fully expect that soon the main mantra coming from Hearts fans will be that Relegation may force some sort of change and it may be medicine that we have to take. Very risky.

I have absolutely no faith in the Hearts support when it comes to action even just demonstrations at Tynecastle with banners and stuff. The time was 2 years ago but Vlad pulled another blinder by bringing in Laszlo. And some thought he had changed.

Has he feck.

scott herbertson

There's a few differences

1. Wimbledon were going to Milton Keynes. The fans had no ption if they wanted to see a local club but to raise the finance themselves. Hearts fans were split on backing Robinson (a few) , taking our chances at Murrayfield ( a few more) Going with the Trust plan to buy shares .. and then use these to get control of the club or doing nothing (the see what happens brigade). When here are a few options , albeit it now seems straightforward, people can excuse themselves from not dipping in

2. At the time I advocated using any cash raised to start a 'sinking fund' with a long term view of purchasing the club, possibly from the administrators. That was very much a minority view and therefore that wasn't on the table.

I would still be in favour of the fund option, but we would have to recognise it may take 30 years to achieve its goal. In the meantime though, it would at least provide a fund which could be used in the event of Romanov deciding to cut and run, for example to employ someone to administer a fund raising campaign to organise in the event of administration

Radioactive Mince
There are clubs owned by supporters so it can be done. I realise we are no Barcelona or Hamburg but there must be other examples to look at of similar sized clubs.

I am not aware of what happened during the SOH last time around, but do we just sit around and watch our club suffer a lingering demise? Lets face it no one is going to buy romanov out - so it is up to us to do something.

I appreciate most people do not have large sums of money to invest to buy a football club, but a fiver a week - ?20.00 per month on a Direct Debit for a 10year plan = ?2,400 x 10,000 (less than our average crowd - but maybe not for much longer) is 24,000,000.

Now I have no idea what price the club would cost, but surely for a Fiver a week (or similar amount), it is better than watching our current lot toil every week!

I've posted similar many times over the last few days.

I think it could work. I'd be willing to bet that a greater percentage of Hearts supporters hate Vladimir Romanov than believed in 2004/05 that moving to MF would kill the club.

ps Boycotting Tynecastle/STs is counter productive. You will only force the club into more debt, meaning any fund will have to grow accordingly. In my opinion, the only games/tickets we should be boycotting in preference of adding to the fund are away games. HMFC sees very little cash from these games and they are expensive days out for supporters.

Mince

Boycotting season tickets is a complete non-starter, certainly with Hearts fans.

This was raised two years ago after the 8th place finish.

There is lingering thoughts still that the very threat of it may have helped Romanov decide that the very least he could do was bring in a "normal" manager. But that may be wishful thinking.

Last season Laszlo was God. This season he is a villain. However the envronment at Tynecastle is not normal. No manager can work normally at this club.

I fully expect that soon the main mantra coming from Hearts fans will be that Relegation may force some sort of change and it may be medicine that we have to take. Very risky.

I have absolutely no faith in the Hearts support when it comes to action even just demonstrations at Tynecastle with banners and stuff. The time was 2 years ago but Vlad pulled another blinder by bringing in Laszlo. And some thought he had changed.

Has he feck.

So your given X amount to spend in the summer on wages and you bring in A,B,C & D but no S (striker). Vlad's fault?

The club has a huge debt so it has not choice to cut costs. This is a problem Vlad inherited and has added too.

So why is Vlad at fault for the tatics and negative team slections we are witnessing.

Having witnessed every game this season 2 of the worst signings have been Obau & Bouzid - Csaba signings. As was ****teveem up front.

Black a more than decent player at ICT suddenly becomes average - one person to blame here.

He has lost interest, blamming everything but himself - including the players. He is touting himself for every job that comes up - we cannot afford to sack him and he cannot afford to walk away.

A new manager would have a decent squad to work with and give the club a lift.

Dougie Masterton
So your given X amount to spend in the summer on wages and you bring in A,B,C & D but no S (striker). Vlad's fault?

The club has a huge debt so it has not choice to cut costs. This is a problem Vlad inherited and has added too.

So why is Vlad at fault for the tatics and negative team slections we are witnessing.

Having witnessed every game this season 2 of the worst signings have been Obau & Bouzid - Csaba signings. As was ****teveem up front.

Black a more than decent player at ICT suddenly becomes average - one person to blame here.

He has lost interest, blamming everything but himself - including the players. He is touting himself for every job that comes up - we cannot afford to sack him and he cannot afford to walk away.

Vlad has obviously seen the press conference where he has touted himself for the Scotland job. Breach of contract maybe? Get rid of now. :hang:

Well said.

May i add that this week whilst he should be doing everyhting in his power to set the team up and gee them up for a win at Killie, all we will hear from him is how he wants to speak to the board about bringing in 2strikers in January, that will really get us up for the Killie game, which Csaba if you are reading is on NOVEMBER 28th and not in JANUARY 2010.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Unbelievable. Particularly the last bit.

How on earth any so called Hearts fan can still spout the p*sh that any manager we will get will not at some point be seriously undermined by Romanov is beyond all comprehension.

Okay, we get rid of Csaba, by some miracle, a dream team of say. JJ and Lockie come in this year. They steady the ship and save us from relegation. Okay thanks Vlad, thanks for listening.

Next season it all starts again, Vlad in some way undermines our latest management and we are back in the sh*t.

HE CANNOT HELP HIMSELF. HE WILL INTERFERE TO THE DETRIMENT OF OUR CLUB.

Thank God people like you are getting smaller and smaller in number.

Utterly beyond belief though you all still are.

portobellojambo1
As was ****teveem up front.

Definitely not a Csaba Laszlo signing, although he was directly responsible for him arriving at Tynecastle, by using up all the budget offered for players on players other than strikers.

However the decision on him coming to Tynecastle was taken by someone above Csaba, but below God (although said person may think himself and God are on the same level).

Definitely not a Csaba Laszlo signing, although he was directly responsible for him arriving at Tynecastle, by using up all the budget offered for players on players other than strikers.

However the decision on him coming to Tynecastle was taken by someone above Csaba, but below God (although said person may think himself and God are on the same level).

Romanov put him Csaba's way and Csaba agreed to sign him before trying to back out.

Unbelievable. Particularly the last bit.

How on earth any so called Hearts fan can still spout the p*sh that any manager we will get will not at some point be seriously undermined by Romanov is beyond all comprehension.

Okay, we get rid of Csaba, by some miracle, a dream team of say. JJ and Lockie come in this year. They steady the ship and save us from relegation. Okay thanks Vlad, thanks for listening.

Next season it all starts again, Vlad in some way undermines our latest management and we are back in the sh*t.

HE CANNOT HELP HIMSELF. HE WILL INTERFERE TO THE DETRIMENT OF OUR CLUB.

Thank God people like you are getting smaller and smaller in number.

Utterly beyond belief though you all still are.

I'm still here as I support Hearts whilst you greet after every defeat from the safety of your bedroom thrashing off on your computer.

Funny enough most of the fans that GO every week seem to blame Csaba on the performances but you wouldn't know that would you.

Sniff Sniff

Well said.

May i add that this week whilst he should be doing everyhting in his power to set the team up and gee them up for a win at Killie, all we will hear from him is how he wants to speak to the board about bringing in 2strikers in January, that will really get us up for the Killie game, which Csaba if you are reading is on NOVEMBER 28th and not in JANUARY 2010.

Csaba seems unable to accept any responsibilty for the results or the squad he has to work with. You have to wonder what this guy actually has to do before he will be sacked.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
I'm still here as I support Hearts whilst you greet after every defeat from the safety of your bedroom thrashing off on your computer.

Funny enough most of the fans that GO every week seem to blame Csaba on the performances but you wouldn't know that would you.

Sniff Sniff

If you want to start that kind of cr*p then bring it on.

I am season ticket holder and sit with five family members.

For years.

And another thing, I am utterly convinced that there are individuals on JKB who still pop up now and again in order to spout stuff that would put Pravda to shame due to being on retainers.

Mind you,it's understandable, there can't be much cash in taxi-driving.

just like you done ourself all those years ago when telling hazel irvine if we won the cup you wouldn't be going back? we won the cup and you returned.:smiley2:

Is this meant to be sort of relevant to my post or what,could you explain what you mean in relation to what I posted:stuart:

Archived