Moving abroad

duckandcover

Well thats it, I've decided after being made redundant from my job at the beginning of the year and finding out today(after almost a year of hard work and commitment)that its more than likely I will be let go at the start of next year, im going to look into moving abroad. I know a few people on here post from around the continent. Im thinking somewhere in Europe possibly Spain, France, Chezch Rep.

Does anyone have any ideas what sort of oppurtunities these countries may hold?

Well thats it, I've decided after being made redundant from my job at the beginning of the year and finding out today(after almost a year of hard work and commitment)that its more than likely I will be let go at the start of next year, im going to look into moving abroad. I know a few people on here post from around the continent. Im thinking somewhere in Europe possibly Spain, France, Chezch Rep.

Does anyone have any ideas what sort of oppurtunities these countries may hold?

English teaching has to be one of your main options, at least at first. There is a huge market in Spain, at least in the cities. There will be in other EU countries as well, but it is better taught in schools in the north of Europe so there is less demand.

You can get a room for 300?, earn 1,200? or so a month.

Apart from that, in Madrid there is a lot of demand for IT people. Obviously to really get ahead in any of these places you would need to learn the language well.

PM me if you're thinking of Spain.

English teaching has to be one of your main options, at least at first. There is a huge market in Spain, at least in the cities. There will be in other EU countries as well, but it is better taught in schools in the north of Europe so there is less demand.

You can get a room for 300?, earn 1,200? or so a month.

Apart from that, in Madrid there is a lot of demand for IT people. Obviously to really get ahead in any of these places you would need to learn the language well.

PM me if you're thinking of Spain.

Would you not need to know the language of the country your moving to?

Would you not need to know the language of the country your moving to?

No, but see the third paragraph in my post.

Cool thought you would, that's what always kind of put me off.

You don't need to know the language to teach English, no. You need to know some, to find a flat etc., but language academies usually have British or American staff and the teaching is done in English, not the srudents' native language.

I'd start off by simply going somewhere cliched like Ibiza and take a summer bar job. Aside from being a well trodden route its a good indicator as to whether you'll actually be able to hack living abroad. It also might open up other avenues for you. Plus you wont need Spanish to start with although having the language of the country you chose to live in is a MASSIVE advantage, both for you and any employer.

maltese jambo

If its for teaching english then surely Malta has to be the best shout... Students comming here to the language schools pretty much all have a decent grasp of english already, plus 99% of the Maltese speak english.

Archived