Local Railway

Adi Dassler

Err, um, aye, OK - you go 1st though eh:2thumbsup:. The Crawley looks well creepy.:th_o:

Top work though. Makes you wonder how many of these tunnels are there? Seems like Edinburgh's riddled wi them. One tunnel I'll never get to run in or, more sadly, out of, the tunnel at Tynie!:stuart:

Was working at Alnwickhill Reservoir today and noticed a green cabinet(A bit smaller than BT cabinets)with CRAWLEY ACCESS POINT painted on it.Didn,t see any rats though.

BTW this is one of the best threads ever on Kickback.I do quite a bit of wealking on and around the Pencaitland Railway Walk.(Good for cycling on Deek)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nelly Terraces

• Ben Dover

• davemclaren

• scots civil war

I've always been more fascinated by the north Edinburgh line, having been brought up around it. The station at Trinity is still easy to spot, as it has now been converted into a house, but kept a lot of the original features.

Once used the Edinburgh South Suburban railway a couple of years ago, that is against my will.

Having grew up with relatives that stayed on Station Rd/Mitchell Street/Peffer Street & Bank i was always keen to listen to the old stories that went with the Duddingston & Craigmillar Station one of my all time wishes was to travel on that line but never thought i would see the day that is until Hearts played a game in Glasgow some time in April 2006, Haymarket Station was not available and neither was through traffic aloud so instead of getting off at Edinburgh Park (where we should have been told) we done the South Sub eventually coming in from the East into the Waverley... anyone elso on that train that day ? It took longer to get from Edinburgh Park to the Waverley than it did from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Oh the occasion was Hibs 0 v 4 Heart Of Midlothian

was about to post something similar, but i,m going way back in time. a football special to hampden on (wednesday?) 25th oct 1976. league cup semi final v celtic. haymarket was out of action so the "special" trundled round the suburban line till almost back at haymarket then ambled its merry way to kings park gettin us to the match about 10 mins before half time. after a 2-1 defeat the journey home was murder as the train semed to stop all the time. remember it going in towards haymeket before stopping to reverse on to the suburban line, loads of fans opened the doors and clambered down the embankment rather than wait till it eventually got into waverly. would think the last bus would,ve been long gone by then. the worst "special" i was ever on! still at least you could take your carry out on them. helped numb the pain of watching hearts at the time.:10900:

Was working at Alnwickhill Reservoir today and noticed a green cabinet(A bit smaller than BT cabinets)with CRAWLEY ACCESS POINT painted on it.Didn,t see any rats though.

BTW this is one of the best threads ever on Kickback.I do quite a bit of wealking on and around the Pencaitland Railway Walk.(Good for cycling on Deek)

Very interesting mate, do you think the tunnel extends all the way up to Alnwickhill then?

From what I remember the description of where the tunnel began and ended were a bit vague.

Edit - Just read the website again, it says it runs from 'approximately' the Meadows. Alnwickhill to the Meadows is some approximate if that's the case!

Edited by Scooby Doog

Was up that way earlier this week. Went into the Saltoun big Forrest walk ?

Went off piste :10900: at one point and came across the old railway track bed.

Like I said on an earlier post, it's weird finding this regulation gap in amongst the trees that just disappears off into the distance.

Below the bridge at the Carberry - Cousland junction ( traffic lights ) there was a halt with platforms and stuff. It's all buried now though as the cutting has been filled in up to the height of the bridge ?

Really loving this thread.

From old photos, maps etc of how places used to be, especially from the areas where I grew up, I can't get enough of it.

Like edinphoto, its worth checking out the Scran website http://www.scran.ac.uk/ It's ?10 for 6 months, I paid ?20 last year :( (its well worth it - you'll spend hours and hours on it) and its also worth checking out http://www.henniker.org.uk/ Loads of photos from in and around Edinburgh. Like this at Lothian Road many years ago.....

w_approach.jpg

? Dave Henniker

scots civil war

anybody read `the railway man` by eric lomax? it has a brilliant description of the railways,yards at joppa/porty on the east coast main line back in the 30`s......recomend it to all the nostalgists out there

as for granton,i remember clocking a class37 with a couple of oil tanks in the late seventies,crossing the road at the roundabout !!!!!....my dad worked at texaco along the road and i think thats where the oil headed

anybody read `the railway man` by eric lomax? it has a brilliant description of the railways,yards at joppa/porty on the east coast main line back in the 30`s......recomend it to all the nostalgists out there

as for granton,i remember clocking a class37 with a couple of oil tanks in the late seventies,crossing the road at the roundabout !!!!!....my dad worked at texaco along the road and i think thats where the oil headed

You've just cranked this excellent thread up a notch on the anorak scale by naming a loco type!

:2thumbsup:

No danger mate, you wouldn't get me down there. Like you say, it looks well creepy and I'll bet that it's half full of rats too.

I remember from working in the Caley hotel many moons ago that there's a tunnel with a stream running through it right under the hotel. No idea where is starts or ends but it was a fairly big thing. Apparently there's umpteen underground streams running under Edinburgh.

Fascinating stuff.

the peoples story musuem in the high street used to have map showing the various streams running through the old town (loads of rhem) and that was why there were so many breweries in that part of town, the scottish parliament has an underground stream that is used for "grey water" its pumped up into the building and used for flushing toilets and urinals.

another train memory is coffin lane, well remember going down there with my dad and looking up at the buffers in the train yard. it was great when it became disused (late 60s) as we all played down there, small service tunnels to crawl about in. great fun

scots civil war

you knew it was coming eh haha

it was a glasgow eastfield one,152 i think it was

37s also sound fakn great:stuart:

you knew it was coming eh haha

it was a glasgow eastfield one,152 i think it was

37s also sound fakn great:stuart:

Aye, I bought my son, ahem, a DVD of 37s from bookworld in town. Not bad at all.

You've just cranked this excellent thread up a notch on the anorak scale by naming a loco type!

:2thumbsup:

Ahh the tractor, the class 37, also known as the English Electric type 3.

23_12_2---Royal-Scotsman-liveried-Class-37-37416-at-Thornaby_web.jpg

Still in use by EWS.

Think I've got a few years on you NT (I'm 49)... I'm obviously getting to that age though of remembering how things used to be in Embra "in the old days". My grannie lived at the top of Longstone Road. Two of my earliest 1960's childhood memories from then were:

- the sound of the air-raid siren, must have been one in the area from WW2 (...it was only 20 years before after all) .. and I have no idea why they cranked it up again (cold war exercise ? or maybe it was just Saughton prison ? who knows...)

- the sight of a farmer and his sheepdog herding his sheep up Longstone Road ,and down Calder Road (the carraiageway now) towards the abbatoir at Chesser. God only knows where they came from !

LOL.

In the very early 60s I lived near Canonmills and there is a police box (still) that used to have a siren on op. I can still remember the thing being tested on a regular basis but I never asked why.

I can also remember the smog warnings and the terrible smog & fog that hit Edinburgh in the winter (so many coal fires !!).

The pic of the Scotland St tunnel brings back memories as I spent many a day playing in what was still a live goods yard in my very early years.

I recall it being used as a sort of deep freeze store for new cars in the late 60s.

scots civil war

they are still around,yes

sometimes on the daily refuse train from powderhall to dunbar and return

sometimes stabled at craigentinny depot on standby or summat

and usually(in pairs!!!) on the windscale-torness nuclear flask train on a wednesday morning trundling through the sub line

Ahh the tractor, the class 37, also known as the English Electric type 3.

23_12_2---Royal-Scotsman-liveried-Class-37-37416-at-Thornaby_web.jpg

Still in use by EWS.

This really is a coming out thread. :th_o:

This really is a coming out thread. :th_o:

The class 57 is used by Virgin as a rescue train. All are named after Thunderbird characters and are placed at strategic places on the rail road.

This is the "Parker" at Bristol.

3504840806_dc215b1243.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Bobby_swing_the_bar

Went to Newcastle from Fife on the train last December. Got to Murrayfield and turned off and ended up going around the Sub. Took ages, but it was a wee bit of a change.

There are loads of old train tracks everywhere, lots of them are turned into cycle paths so still useful.

There is a guy who is an oracle on railways, don't know his number, but his name is Roy Cropper and he stays in Weatherfiield near Manchester utd, runs a cafe called Roy's Rolls.

As one who will be 47 next April. I can still remember freight trains(Petroleum carriers) going along the railway line that used to run past Granton harbour and up into what used to be two oil(petrol tanks) at where Saltire street and that are now. Then up into the old gasworks. I dont remember any passenger trains but I can still remember a fishing fleet out of Granton Harbour.

John

Well John,as a Granton lad(40 on Halloween)i remember the excitement on seeing the train crossing Grantor square in the mid-to late 70s,the line at the back of the William Waugh scrap yard and the harbour was my playground when i was a lad.

Great days!:thumb:

jamboinglasgow

wish someone could overlay google maps with the routes and stations of allEdinburghs current and former railways. Would be interesting to see.

wish someone could overlay google maps with the routes and stations of allEdinburghs current and former railways. Would be interesting to see.

Try the following site:

http://geo.nls.uk/maps/towns/edinburgh1893/openlayers.html

Overlays 1893 maps onto google maps (or whatever you choose)

Worth a look at Gorgie, Dalry & Fountainbridge

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd save this thread from the beeching axe :th_o:

Took a drive down to Hawick last Sunday, since my head was unusually clear with there having been no Hearts game :hat2:

Had a wee nostalgia fest as I walked along the old Waverley line at Riccarton Junction, a thriving village away in the border hills that was only accessible by getting the train either in or out !!

Unfortunately some of the 'friends of Riccarton' group ended up not being very friendly and their restoration project ground to a halt :stuart: and nature is already starting to reclaim the platforms they had begun to restore :43:

Much more success is being had by the Waverley preservation society who have re-laid a fair bit of track down that way at Whitrope :2thumbsup:

Tons of stuff on the net if anybody is interested :curtain:

http://riccartonjunction.org/history.html

Browsing the shelves of a station bookstall in Sydney last year, I spotted a British Steam magazine with an article on football specials. Interesting articles apart, the pics included this one from 1961showing a local Leith North to Princes Street train (stopping at Murrayfield) approaching Newhaven Station.

I noticed on the right of the picture the finishing touches to Trinity's new Assembly Hall building. I was in 1st year then. Not so fond memories of the gym behind it.

I don't remember there being 4 tracks on the line there, must have been for passing. I used to take the train up to Princes Street, but only remember the diesel multiple units.

No. 1 thread.

trinity_thumb.jpg

scots civil war

great foto there,is that bridge in the distance on newhaven road boss...looking east??

i live near there and trying to get bearings on that great pic.......

the pic ive added is craigentinny,from the bridge at top of fishwives causeway......express heading to waverley station,1929......

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_craigentinny_9449_c1929_thumb.jpg

One thing that the west of Scotland really has got going for it is the train system. I absolutely hates buses and the train / subway / low level system is superb. Edinburgh really could use something similar.

I hear Edinburgh might have a tram system going soon.

Not too sure about it, though.

scots civil war

av it !!!!

the old diesels,there was some great designs in there of the mainline locos.love the steam,but the diesels were my generation

i grew up by the railway and the class forty was a big fave.....

when i was a nipper in the late seventies,in the summer nights i could hear the 22.00hrs edinbro-kings cross parcels swooping down through abbeyhill from craigentinny, with one of those beasts in charge !!!!!

and then seconds later it hammering it past my garden at sunset...what a fakn buzz i used to get watching em

40013new st 79_thumb.jpg

Edited by scots civil war

great foto there,is that bridge in the distance on newhaven road boss...looking east??

Yes, seems to have been taken from Craighall Road - the old station building.

Big team big train

Beautiful! My uncle was a driver and gave me a hurl on one of these beauties at Haymarket Sheds. These were the days before overzealous OH &S regs. came in.

Anyone agree that these are the sexiest machines made by man?

scots civil war

duddingston park by the bridge,craigmillar park,morningside all with platforms

theres platforms also at easter road,leith walk outwith the sub

thats as far as i know

Beautiful! My uncle was a driver and gave me a hurl on one of these beauties at Haymarket Sheds. These were the days before overzealous OH &S regs. came in.

Anyone agree that these are the sexiest machines made by man?

I had a relly who was a train driver and liked a drink.

I remember one night when I was about 18 he took me and ma dad down to Newcastle and back in the cab on what was then called the night rider.

We picked him up and then we went to the Beachwood for some pints. We then dropped him off a Haymarket to get his train and we made our way to the Waverley where we were to get on, me in a brown BR dust coat and my dad a BR donkey jacket.

We were told that if anybody asked that we were electricians from Haymarket along to check a fault on the train and that the bag containing the carry out was our tools.

Better call Saul
This is fascinating.

Would anyone care to list the old stations on the "sub" no longer in use?

Newington , blackhall (near blackford pond)

few other places like trinity , gilmerton , loanhead , millerhill , bonnington all had stations

I have a few pictures of them (sad I know ) will get round to posting them later

av it !!!!

the old diesels,there was some great designs in there of the mainline locos.love the steam,but the diesels were my generation

i grew up by the railway and the class forty was a big fave.....

when i was a nipper in the late seventies,in the summer nights i could hear the 22.00hrs edinbro-kings cross parcels swooping down through abbeyhill from craigentinny, with one of those beasts in charge !!!!!

and then seconds later it hammering it past my garden at sunset...what a fakn buzz i used to get watching em

Never mind yer class 40 I raise you with one of these beauties, now they made a serious sound

deltic_thumb.jpg

The Mighty Thor
Well John,as a Granton lad(40 on Halloween)i remember the excitement on seeing the train crossing Grantor square in the mid-to late 70s,the line at the back of the William Waugh scrap yard and the harbour was my playground when i was a lad.

Great days!:thumb:

What a great thread.

I'm a Granton boy as well (i'm 41) and remember well the trains running across Granton Square and up towards the gas works. There was still trains running into the early 80's.

The line up the back of Waugh's was a great place when you're a youngster, a huge adventure playground.

Better call Saul

A few from Granton

vy1fs1.jpg

290sc2o.jpg

This station was built behind the caley hotel leading onto th ewestern appraoch road

15mfvb5.jpg