Local Railway

Adi Dassler

A somewhere bizarre request this?..

I am looking for details of the railway(s) local to the Gorgie area. In particular the line that seems to run from Haymarket, turns left under the Western Approach Road and goes past the distillery. Was this previously used as a goods line for the distillery? Where does it go? Are there any websites anyone knows of where I could find out the history of local railway lines?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nelly Terraces

• Ben Dover

• davemclaren

• scots civil war

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I am looking for details of the railway(s) local to the Gorgie area. In particular the line that seems to run from Haymarket, turns left under the Western Approach Road and goes past the distillery. Was this previously used as a goods line for the distillery? Where does it go? Are there any websites anyone knows of where I could find out the history of local railway lines?

Cheers

An new found interest in railways.

Really?

:2thumbsup:

jamboinglasgow

I've always found it daft that there is no passenger service along the south suburbian line. I remember seeing a thing in the EEN when the council claimed that the ?30m to open it would not represent value for money.

But surely a unified transport network in Edinburgh would pay huge dividends. Trams, trains, buses. All working together that any person could move easily around. Bring tram route 1b in for the North of Edinburgh, the main tram route through the center, the south surburbian line linking through the south and the east. Buses running off those routes thus reaching every part of edinburgh quickly and effiecently. Haymarket would become a major transport hub for Edinburgh (along with Waverly.)

Cheers

The line that runs under the Western approach road goes to Slateford station (over bridge near Mcleod St),Kingsknowe Station,Wester Hailes Station before heading towards mid calder junction where the line then heads of down to Carstairs straight on and also veers to the right towards Livingston heading for Glasgow Central.

The "SUB" runs from Niddrie Junction to Craiglochart junction which then can either go left up to Slateford Junction meeting up with the previous line I talked about or goes straight on down to Gorgie Junction (via bridge at robertsons avenue wheatfield street) where it splits up again going to Haymarket central jcn or to Hymkt west junction before joining up with the main line at Murrayfield.

By the way I ain't a spotter!:smiley2:

scots civil war

that will be the line to carstairs that chief.theres another one further along as well

the suburban line is that,and passengers should be back on the line there....theres loads of old stations on that line although its used as a predominant freight line,and has been for decades now.....theres a great pic of morningside station in the fifties or summat on that site mentioned

bring back the sub`s stations

One thing that the west of Scotland really has got going for it is the train system. I absolutely hates buses and the train / subway / low level system is superb. Edinburgh really could use something similar.

scots civil war

would transform the place,a tube set up.....think itsthe volcanic biz below tho

yes,the suburban line should def be restore def

theres not much freight on the sub now,but it is a reasonably busy line with stock movements and the weekly nuclear flask train from windscale to torness that happens on a tuesday iirc

you could easily get passenger trains just circling around,waverley-waverley via haymarket.theres platforms still all set up at duddingston,mayfield gardens as far as i know

anymore of you know any others?:stuart:

Guest juvehearts

ha ha as a freaquent travler from wester hailes to waverley every day. i know this line well enough to comment.

it was origonally the west dalry branch-granton branch and Edinburgh Suburban and side junction line of the railway, with several sidings and stations to serve the increased industry in the

area. For example there was a station adjacent to the Brewery at Gorgie and one

near the mills south of Roseburn. its now a freight line built in the 1850's. now used used by the coal indstury but was used by the brewery in gorgie at one point.

have a read here............ http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/bills/18-edinburghTram2/b18-docs/Volume 4/APPENDIX 8.pdf

juve

I kind of agree with folk that say that the south suburban loop should be re-opened.

But I think the the problem is at Waverley in that there are not enough platforms to allow the frequency of use that opening up the circle would need to make in viable.

Re-configuring the station with tracks running below would not make the idea cost effective.

I reckon it is fairly complicated maximising train movements through a fixed space the likes of Waverley - Haymarket

Thanks folks.

The line I was referring to was the Edinburgh Suburban Railway Line. Quite interesting really that passenger services didn?t stop until 1962. Pretty much all of my family where born and brought up in Gorgie so I can well imagine them using the ?Sub?.

One last question.

Where exactly would ?Gorgie East? Station have been?

There used to be a line out to Corstorphine that came in near the depot at Roseburn somewhere.

I walked into town on the disused line at some stage in the 70's. Pretty sure it went along the side of Carrick Knowe golf course.

Google Earth would be the way to trace all the lines.

Just had a look. It goes along the side of the golf course and joins the other lines behind Murrayfield stadium.

Edited by MelbourneJambo

jambos are go!

There used to be a commuter line that went from the Caley station at the Caledonian Hotel along to Ashely Terrace(North Merchiston?) via Dalry I think. It then went on to Gorgie Sation and down to Craigleith. Also used by goods trains

Thanks folks.

The line I was referring to was the Edinburgh Suburban Railway Line. Quite interesting really that passenger services didn?t stop until 1962. Pretty much all of my family where born and brought up in Gorgie so I can well imagine them using the ?Sub?.

One last question.

Gorgie East Station is basically Gorgie Station it was renamed. There is now flats on the site of the old Station (Slateford Green). Here is the Google Earth link to the location.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&resnum=0&q=slateford+green+edinburgh&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Slateford+Green,+Edinburgh,+Midlothian+EH14&gl=uk&ei=R43VSujPHt6TjAfg0aD0Aw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAsQ8gEwAA

Nelly Terraces
Thanks folks.

One last question.

Adi, when I was in 6th year at school (moons ago), I did a 'special study' for my geography Higher. I did it on the 'Suburban Line' in Edinburgh. It was brilliant to find out so much about it. Sadly, the Sub was axed as part of ther infamous Beaching Cuts in the 60's - (Dr Beaching was a bloke brought in by the Government to overhaul the railways for 'overhaul' read savage). Only now can we see the damage that this has caused to the infrastructure of the UK, as we are now almost solely reliant on the car for transportation of people/goods.

As for the Suburban line, well why the donald duck it wasn't reinstated and and made into a new service for the folk of Edinburgh for the 21st century, at the fraction of the cost of the totally pointless tram line, is beyond me. I think it's something people would have actually wanted, and used. The infrastructure is actually there in the 1st place!

As for stations, and Gorgie in particular, I remember my old boy (rip) telling me about it, and how he used it to get into town, him and ma Gran lived in Moat at that time. The thing is, it wasn't actually situated on Gorgie, it was actually nearer Slateford Road. You could access it from Gorgie Road, though, there was entrance at the bit of Gorgie Rd near Robertson Ave, under the railway bridge, opposite where the aptly titled Station Tavern is now situated. The main entrance though, was from Slateford Road, just before the bridge goes over the line (diagonally across the road fae Malones the bakers etc), just about where Gorgie Park Road is now, that's where the station was.

Hope this helps. By way, one of the funniest things about doing that study, and you should go check this out, is at the Central library (where I did most of my research - internet, aye that'll be shining in 1985!), they have all these books of newspaper cuttings going back to year dot, I found a few articles dating back as far as the 1950's on the old old Gorgie Aggro! No jokes, reports of trains etc being smashed up on awaydays by the HMFC youth of the day. Always makes me laugh where I hear folk talking total bollax about how nicey nice fitba was back then, when it sounded exactly the same as now (actually sounded better then heh heh). Serious though, go the CL and you'll find out stacks of info. Top place for hanging out anyway.

Cheers.

NT - Doctor Beaching GTF.:hang:

Nelly Terraces
Gorgie East Station is basically Gorgie Station it was renamed. There is now flats on the site of the old Station (Slateford Green). Here is the Google Earth link to the location.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&resnum=0&q=slateford+green+edinburgh&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Slateford+Green,+Edinburgh,+Midlothian+EH14&gl=uk&ei=R43VSujPHt6TjAfg0aD0Aw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAsQ8gEwAA

Aye, that's spot on. Some of the actual platform is still there though, but is realy overgrown.

Forgot to ask, do any old codgers on here like me still ask taxi drivers to take them to 'Morningside Station' if yer headin that way? I still call it that, so do a few folk I know.

Aye, that's spot on. Some of the actual platform is still there though, but is realy overgrown.

Forgot to ask, do any old codgers on here like me still ask taxi drivers to take them to 'Morningside Station' if yer headin that way? I still call it that, so do a few folk I know.

Well i'm not an old codger, but because i work with Network Rail and am occasionally involved with the Suburban line i get used to that kind of speak so i always say Morningside Station instead of just Morningside!

Nelly Terraces
Well i'm not an old codger, but because i work with Network Rail and am occasionally involved with the Suburban line i get used to that kind of speak so i always say Morningside Station instead of just Morningside!

Heh heh, good man. :2thumbsup:

Adi, when I was in 6th year at school (moons ago), I did a 'special study' for my geography Higher. I did it on the 'Suburban Line' in Edinburgh. It was brilliant to find out so much about it. Sadly, the Sub was axed as part of ther infamous Beaching Cuts in the 60's - (Dr Beaching was a bloke brought in by the Government to overhaul the railways for 'overhaul' read savage). Only now can we see the damage that this has caused to the infrastructure of the UK, as we are now almost solely reliant on the car for transportation of people/goods.

As for the Suburban line, well why the donald duck it wasn't reinstated and and made into a new service for the folk of Edinburgh for the 21st century, at the fraction of the cost of the totally pointless tram line, is beyond me. I think it's something people would have actually wanted, and used. The infrastructure is actually there in the 1st place!

As for stations, and Gorgie in particular, I remember my old boy (rip) telling me about it, and how he used it to get into town, him and ma Gran lived in Moat at that time. The thing is, it wasn't actually situated on Gorgie, it was actually nearer Slateford Road. You could access it from Gorgie Road, though, there was entrance at the bit of Gorgie Rd near Robertson Ave, under the railway bridge, opposite where the aptly titled Station Tavern is now situated. The main entrance though, was from Slateford Road, just before the bridge goes over the line (diagonally across the road fae Malones the bakers etc), just about where Gorgie Park Road is now, that's where the station was.

Hope this helps. By way, one of the funniest things about doing that study, and you should go check this out, is at the Central library (where I did most of my research - internet, aye that'll be shining in 1985!), they have all these books of newspaper cuttings going back to year dot, I found a few articles dating back as far as the 1950's on the old old Gorgie Aggro! No jokes, reports of trains etc being smashed up on awaydays by the HMFC youth of the day. Always makes me laugh where I hear folk talking total bollax about how nicey nice fitba was back then, when it sounded exactly the same as now (actually sounded better then heh heh). Serious though, go the CL and you'll find out stacks of info. Top place for hanging out anyway.

Cheers.

That's really interesting mate, cheers for that.

I have visions of marauding youths in flatcaps boarding the train at Gorgie, smoking woodbines and supping brown ale, before alighting at Abbeyhill (for ER) and indulging in some jolly old fisticuffs. Gentlemen hoodlums! :-)

Might check out the Central Library. That's always been a bit like the Museum of Modern Art to me. You know it's there, you know it's probably quite cool, but you've never got off your arse to go.

Cheers.

Maybe because of the probelms with the volume throughput of trains at Waverley & Haymarket and having the infrastucture is only part of the problem, though it would be nice if this were confirmed by somone from a rail industry background.

PS The history of railway development in Edinburgh is fascinating, makes getting the Tram franchise pushed through look easy-peasy. Folk were complaining about loss of business, compulsory purchases, noise complaints every conceivable excuse & reason was documented in the Evidence to the Reporter for the relevant Acts of Parliament c1850's.

Really impressed with that edinphoto website as well. Never seen that before.

Some of the old photos and recollections are brilliant.

It is like night and day the Gorgie i remember from my childhood to the Gorgie of today.

Might check out the Central Library. That's always been a bit like the Museum of Modern Art to me. You know it's there, you know it's probably quite cool, but you've never got off your arse to go.

You want the Edinburgh Room within the Central Library.

Nelly Terraces
That's really interesting mate, cheers for that.

I have visions of marauding youths in flatcaps boarding the train at Gorgie, smoking woodbines and supping brown ale, before alighting at Abbeyhill (for ER) and indulging in some jolly old fisticuffs. Gentlemen hoodlums! :-)

If I recall correctly, one of the incidents was on the way back from an away game at Morton. Superb work by the 1960's Gorgie Aggro. :2thumbsup:

Gorgie Rules.

Am I right in saying that there's a disused rail tunnel that runs from under the Caledonian Hotel out to Harrison Park area?

Seem to remember hearing something about that when I was a nipper.

jambos are go!
Am I right in saying that there's a disused rail tunnel that runs from under the Caledonian Hotel out to Harrison Park area?

Seem to remember hearing something about that when I was a nipper.

Yes it went along what is now the slip road via Dalry. You could access the platform from Bonaly Road ( now Harrison Gardens) or the next to Tainsh thre Chemist on Ashley Terrace. Think but not sure you could also get to the Station from the Harrison Road end.

Edited by jambos are go!

Yes it went along what is now the slip road via Dalry. You could access the platform from Bonaly Road ( now Harrison Gardens) or the next to Tainsh thre Chemist on Ashley Terrace. Think but not sure you could also get to the Station from the Harrison Road end.

Cheers mate.

Sorry to go off topic but I'm amazed at these stories of tunnels all over Edinburgh.

I'd love to find out more about them, anybody know where I can get some info?

jamboinglasgow
Cheers mate.

Sorry to go off topic but I'm amazed at these stories of tunnels all over Edinburgh.

I'd love to find out more about them, anybody know where I can get some info?

The most famous one in Edinburgh is the Scotland street tunnel which runs from the park just next to Scotland street to Waverly Station. The tunnel was used for a number of purposes after it was closed including air raid shelter in WW2 and used to grow mushrooms. There are plans to open a stretch of it so to have youth facilities under the eye of the police.

Here are some pictures of it.

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_railways_nc_scotland_street_tunnel_southern_end.htm

I remember reading about that one in the Evening News a while back, something to do with the tram works if I remember correctly.

I'm sure there's another one (not a rail tunnel) that runs from under the BT building on Gorgie Rd out to Craiglockhart.

Nelly Terraces

These old tunnels rule. I know I shouldn't be interested, but I am. Got a mate in London whose a bit of an old train bufty, I always thought it a bit sad, but he gave me this book about all these disused underground lines and actual stations in London, it was really interesting.

Creepy old tunnels. Who doesn't want some of that action!?:2thumbsup:

Better call Saul

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=1060

Princess st station found behind the caley hotel trains headed out onto the now western apprach rd

sum size of a station

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=1061

looking out from the station out to marco's way

Edited by Macc the Jambo

Nelly Terraces

Princess st station found behind the caley hotel trains headed out onto the now western apprach rd

sum size of a station

Great photos there chief, epesh the one looking towards Grove St, knew there was a station at that bit, but never seen any photos. Amazing to think it was there really.

Thanks folks.

One last question.

Deek's post is a picture of Gorgie East.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1281727#post1280983

Nelly Terraces
Out of interest, do any of you 'spotters know if there was there an old station in Dalry?

And whereabouts if there was.

Cheers.

Sure was chief. Check this crackin photo out:

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_dalry_road_backs_of_travellers.jpg

sum size of a station

Some great pics there...fascinating. :2thumbsup:

Sure was chief. Check this crackin photo out:

0_edinburgh_transport_railways_dalry_road_backs_of_travellers.jpg

The western approach road now runs to the right ( or left, can't work out the direction ) of the platform. You can still see the platform if you go into to the park at Dalry from the Telfer Subway, just past the bus stop.

Sure was chief. Check this crackin photo out...

Cheers Nelly,

Beaching was a bit of a barsteward for getting rid of all those old, local stations.

Still, even now if you go to away games, Savile Travel is the only way to go. Feels like a proper away trip getting up early to meet up at Haymarket and then the last train back to Auld Reekie from wherever you've been.

Nelly Terraces
Some great pics there...fascinating. :2thumbsup:

That Edinburgh Photos website is the dogs naggins. Some great little memories from folk on ther as well.

The western approach road now runs to the right ( or left, can't work out the direction ) of the platform. You can still see the platform if you go into to the park at Dalry from the Telfer Subway, just past the bus stop.

Dave, is that the bus stop on the western approach your talking about, just near that bit? I am sad git and want to check it out. :2thumbsup:

By way, I can see where Gorgie East station would've been out my back windae at Nellster Towers.

That Edinburgh Photos website is the dogs naggins. Some great little memories from folk on ther as well.

Dave, is that the bus stop on the western approach your talking about, just near that bit? I am sad git and want to check it out. :2thumbsup:

By way, I can see where Gorgie East station would've been out my back windae at Nellster Towers.

Yes, walk through the Telfer tunnel from Dundee St through to Dalry. When just under the approach road turn left and walk in a bit. You can see the platform remains up to the left all overgrown. The path from the bus stop runs alongside down to the playpark. :smiley2:

Nelly Terraces
Yes, walk through the Telfer tunnel from Dundee St through to Dalry. When just under the approach road turn left and walk in a bit. You can see the platform remains up to the left all overgrown. The path from the bus stop runs alongside down to the playpark. :smiley2:

Gotcha, cheers. I wanna make sure I look like I ken where I'm going and not bumbling round some kiddies playpark like a hobo sex pest!:stuart:

Gotcha, cheers. I wanna make sure I look like I ken where I'm going and not bumbling round some kiddies playpark like a hobo sex pest!:stuart:

Indeed. :cool_shades:

portobellojambo1
The line that runs under the Western approach road goes to Slateford station (over bridge near Mcleod St),Kingsknowe Station,Wester Hailes Station before heading towards mid calder junction where the line then heads of down to Carstairs straight on and also veers to the right towards Livingston heading for Glasgow Central.

The "SUB" runs from Niddrie Junction to Craiglochart junction which then can either go left up to Slateford Junction meeting up with the previous line I talked about or goes straight on down to Gorgie Junction (via bridge at robertsons avenue wheatfield street) where it splits up again going to Haymarket central jcn or to Hymkt west junction before joining up with the main line at Murrayfield.

By the way I ain't a spotter!:smiley2:

Having been on one of your trains I can confirm your not a driver either. :10900:

I was brought up in the Moat House flats that directly overlooked Gorgie Station. By the mid-late 1960's the station was entirely disused but the platform, buildings (including the station masters house) and goods yard was still there for years. Eventually it was cleared and it became the parking area (1970s) for buses bringing the great unwashed through to Tynie.

There was a spur from the Gorgie line, that ran between Moat/Hutchie flats and Coxes glueworks (now the BT building), past the Bainfield, and past Manclarks (burnt down in the late 70s) that was there purely to take cattle/sheep to the abbatoir (Corn Exchange area now...). At that time to get from Hutcheson to Bainfield/Balgreen you had to cross over that track at a footbridge next to Manclarks. Manys the time as a wee kid I was greetin' to see the poor animals being transported Belsen-style to their fate !