Weir, Webster and Pressley.

scott_jambo

Charlie-Brown
Very solid ?

Roddy was an automatic pick in a Hearts team that played in the 1st Division for probably 3 seasons of the 6 he was at the club.

In our best season in his time at Hearts (85/86) he played only a handful of times.

Fond memories or not.....he was most definitely not as good as the other 2.

We would never have gotten out of of the first division nor consolidated our Premier League place for the first few seasons in almost a decade if it wasn't for the solid if unspectacular work of Roddy McDonald, Sandy Jardine, Alex MacDonald etc as players in those seasons - Bowman & Mackay were still young, Robbo had only just started to emerge and Levein was a very raw teenager from Cowdenbeath - those guys who got us up and kept us up did just as much valuable and important work for the club as Elvis did later.

Charlie-Brown
You still dont seem to be grasping the fact that they were miles better than the crap we have now. It was you who brought up players from the 80's who were clearly also miles better than the crap we have now.

Its like saying Robbo was better than Bednar but ignoring the fact Bednar is miles better than any of the diddies currently playing up front.

Sorry I thought this thread was about Elvis, Webster & Weir only the last of whom you could say was a genuinely top quality player.

Drylaw Hearts
We would never have gotten out of of the first division nor consolidated our Premier League place for the first few seasons in almost a decade if it wasn't for the solid if unspectacular work of Roddy McDonald, Sandy Jardine, Alex MacDonald etc as players in those seasons - Bowman & Mackay were still young, Robbo had only just started to emerge and Levein was a very raw teenager from Cowdenbeath - those guys who got us up and kept us up did just as much valuable and important work for the club as Elvis did later.

Roddy MacDonald may have been part of the team that got promoted and then consolidated our place in the Premier Division however.....he was nowhere near as good a footballer as Elvis or Webster.

I think you'd struggle to get many who will agree with you on this CB.

Charlie-Brown
Roddy MacDonald may have been part of the team that got promoted and then consolidated our place in the Premier Division however.....he was nowhere near as good a footballer as Elvis or Webster.

I think you'd struggle to get many who will agree with you on this CB.

Iam not bothered who agrees with me or not DH- I've stated my opinion on the 3 players who were all good players for Hearts, I think Roddy McDonald's contribution was under-rated and the other 2 probably a bit more over-rated cos they are a bit more recent and fresh in the memory ... everybody has their own preferences & favourites :)

Iam not bothered who agrees with me or not DH- I've stated my opinion on the 3 players who were all good players for Hearts, I think Roddy McDonald's contribution was under-rated and the other 2 probably a bit more over-rated cos they are a bit more recent and fresh in the memory ... everybody has their own preferences & favourites :)

I don't think that Roddy McDonald was anything like as good as the other players who have been mentioned in this thread. I remember him being great in the air, and a good stopper, but not so creative.

What I do remember about the famous 85-86 season is that around October McDonald was injured (or suspended?), and Levein was moved from midfield to central defence alongside Jardine. Our unbeaten run stemmed from then, and McDonald only played again if CL or SJ were injured (or sick, as at Dens). CL and SJ were put together at the back out of necessity, but instantly became a fantastic partnership, and with them Hearts could play the ball on the ground from the back rather than hoof it up the park.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to Roddy McDonald but I do think that Hearts played their best football that season without him. And that was about the best football we've seen from Hearts these past 40+ years (the Burley era apart).

Archived