Weir, Webster and Pressley.

scott_jambo

Weir wasn't so much of a Judas although you could have a go at him for refusing to sign a new contract which meant we only got ?200k for a player worth 10 times that amount. He could of signed a new deal like McCann that contained a minimum fee release clause but he was a terrific player who deserved to play at a higher level and probably didn't want anything stopping his ascent.

He is a complete tosser now but it doesn't make him a Judas. Just a tosser.

Marooned In Oz
Weir wasn't so much of a Judas although you could have a go at him for refusing to sign a new contract which meant we only got ?200k for a player worth 10 times that amount. He could of signed a new deal like McCann that contained a minimum fee release clause but he was a terrific player who deserved to play at a higher level and probably didn't want anything stopping his ascent.

He is a complete tosser now but it doesn't make him a Judas. Just a tosser.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

Perfectly sums up how I feel about David Weir. I respect what he did for hearts but it doesn't change how he's a complete ***** when he plays us (probably a universal thing, but I seem to only notice it against us)

weir isn't a judas by any means but he has become an annoying, moaning ****house since he joined 'them'.

the other two are what they are.

What is it about central defenders.

judas.jpg

Maybe Sol Campbell could help us explain this. :smiley2:

You're right - we're well shot of that type of defender.

Give me Ismael Bouzid any day. :smoking:

Regal Kingston
You're right - we're well shot of that type of defender.

Give me Ismael Bouzid any day. :smoking:

I'd rather have a judas for a couple of years than a dodgy defender who trys to head things at shin height.

He looks a bombscare at times.

Marooned In Oz
I'd rather have a judas for a couple of years than a dodgy defender who trys to head things at shin height.

He looks a bombscare at times.

I think that's the point he is trying to make...

Sarcasm much?

Dave Weir was a smashing player for us and was no way a Judas unlike Ritchie & Webster.

You forgot Ehlvis there.

King of the North
You forgot Ehlvis there.

Oh dear.

The only one of them who deserves contempt is Andy Webster. It saddens me to think that he still has a career in the game, when it looked like his football existence was going down the toilet.

Both Weir and Steven Pressley have lifted Scottish Cups for Hearts and were great servants to the club - cannot find it in me to hate Davie Weir, and I don't share in the mindless bigotry that is behind the cartoon hatred of Elvis.

Webster tried to leave when the going was good, he shafted the club for a 'dream' move to the OF. He alone deserves our vitriol. That and a ruptured cruciate.

its unfortunate that when these guys have ended up at the ugly sisters, their own perspective on life, previous success and history in general takes a total surreal nosedive!

when with us they seemed to be reasonably well adjusted human beings and no too bad at fitba.

after the jambos they all managed to become assholes with varying degrees of stupidity.

:10900:

p.s. webster is still a big tit though & hopefully his career will stall again.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

I think some people use the term "Judas" without knowing what it means. I remember someone using it to describe Tony Mowbray.

What is it about central defenders.

judas.jpg

Maybe Sol Campbell could help us explain this. :smiley2:

Exactly SJ,central defenders all three,unlike the guff we have now.

I think some people use the term "Judas" without knowing what it means..

I know someone like that he was screaming at the telly when we were playing the PS' Pressley ya Judist ****', i had to ask him what a judist was needless to say he didnt know, you just have to laugh sometimes

Oh dear.

The only one of them who deserves contempt is Andy Webster. It saddens me to think that he still has a career in the game, when it looked like his football existence was going down the toilet.

Both Weir and Steven Pressley have lifted Scottish Cups for Hearts and were great servants to the club - cannot find it in me to hate Davie Weir, and I don't share in the mindless bigotry that is behind the cartoon hatred of Elvis.

Webster tried to leave when the going was good, he shafted the club for a 'dream' move to the OF. He alone deserves our vitriol. That and a ruptured cruciate.

Can you expand on this please?

I don't share in the mindless bigotry that is behind the cartoon hatred of Elvis.

I hate elvis. Lots.

Does this make me a bigot?

I dont feel the need to cover old ground.

My thoughts on Elvis the chest thumping turncoat have been documented well enough in the past.

Oh dear.

I agree!

but if Elvis had just told Vlad to shove it, instead of his chest pumping p1sh, i'd agree even more!

Oh dear.

A part from the last sentence I agree with all

Lawl.

I'd really like someone to finally explain where the link between despising Ehlvis's actions ever since leaving Hearts and mindless bigotry.

It's possible to dislike him, without burning all those who aren't Anglo-Saxon Protestants who have the Union Jack tattooed on their manhood.

Weir, Webster and Pressley - some of the greatest defenders to play for Hearts in the modern era, great memories of great players, and all recognised at international level too, fantastic.

andrew_hearts

I reckon that it is only a matter of time before Websters career stalls agin. i think the damage has been done already with his injuries.

Weir's not a Judas though has turned into one of the most annoying players in the SPL.

Only a minority of fans think Pressley's a Judas. Most of us still think he's the best leader we've seen and wish him well.

A minority of that minority might be bigots, the rest just like to behave like spoilt brats, but it's hard to tell and not worth pursuing.

All 3 were much better central defenders than anything at the club nowadays.

PS. So was Ritchie.

Just shows how bad our lot are,as much as PR was a hard as nails stoat in the road, he wasn't the best at actually playing football,but still your right he is head and shoulders above the crap we call defenders now.

Guest JamboRobbo

PS. So was Ritchie.

Correct. Streets ahead.

Charlie-Brown

PS. So was Ritchie.

Good players but not as good as Jardine, Levein, McPherson & McLaren, I also thought Roddy McDonald was a great defender/centre half for us in his time at the club, David Weir was clearly a better player than him but I'm not sure if Elvis or Webster were any better and even though they have a decent number of caps each i think that's probably due to the declining standard of the Scotland team over time compared to when the likes of Jardine, Narey, Heggarty, Miller, McLeish, Hansen, Gough etc played for Scotland - we had great centre backs for about 20 years that i can remember.

Guest jambomickey
Weir, Webster and Pressley - some of the greatest defenders to play for Hearts in the modern era, great memories of great players, and all recognised at international level too, fantastic.

agreed, the problems came from above.

Good players but not as good as Jardine, Levein, McPherson & McLaren, I also thought Roddy McDonald was a great defender/centre half for us in his time at the club, David Weir was clearly a better player than him but I'm not sure if Elvis or Webster were any better and even though they have a decent number of caps each i think that's probably due to the declining standard of the Scotland team over time compared to when the likes of Jardine, Narey, Heggarty, Miller, McLeish, Hansen, Gough etc played for Scotland - we had great centre backs for about 20 years that i can remember.

I never said they were better than those you mention, I said they are far better then what we have now. The ones you mention would rip the utter pesh out the crap we have now.

You're right about footballing ability, but Pressley stands head and shoulders above any player I've seen (more than 40 years) in terms of leadership qualities, and every team needs that. Watching Pressley organise and cajole a defence that included Webster, Gordon and Neilson (as it happens) was one of the most impressive things about Hearts in living memory. And, of course, Pressley benefitted from the coaching of Levein.

Guest jambomickey
I never said they were better than those you mention, I said they are far better then what we have now. The ones you mention would rip the utter pesh out the crap we have now.

agreed.

Charlie-Brown

I don't think there are any Scottish or SPL defenders as good as the ones I mentioned so it's not exclusive to Hearts - jeez Davie Weir is still one of the best about and he's almost as old as me. :laugh:

Charlie-Brown
You're right about footballing ability, but Pressley stands head and shoulders above any player I've seen (more than 40 years) in terms of leadership qualities, and every team needs that. Watching Pressley organise and cajole a defence that included Webster, Gordon and Neilson (as it happens) was one of the most impressive things about Hearts in living memory. And, of course, Pressley benefitted from the coaching of Levein.

i think Pressley's leadership qualities maybe stick out a bit because he was surrounded by quite young and relatively inexperienced players in Gordon, Neilson, Webster etc. Sandy Jardine coaxed a young Craig Levein into his role but he soon was more than capable of holding his own and showing his own leadership whilst experienced players like Roddy McDonald and then Dave McPherson knew how to play, didn't really require much leadership and showed much of it to others in the team, young Alan McLaren came into the team and was almost captain material from day one - in summary the likes of Jardine, McDonald, Levein, McPherson, McLaren etc didn't need too much leadership and had plenty of their own to show as well.

I don't think there are any Scottish or SPL defenders as good as the ones I mentioned

But there are much better Scottish AND SPL central defenders than the ones we have now.

agreed, the problems came from above.

it's ridiculous to say that the webster farce was initiated "from above".

the facts of the beginnings of his disgrace prove otherwise.

Drylaw Hearts

Roddy Mac wasn't anywhere near the players Elvis or Webster were/are.

Not a chance.

Drylaw Hearts
it's ridiculous to say that the webster farce was initiated "from above".

the facts of the beginnings of his disgrace prove otherwise.

I don't think it is that ridiculous.

Webster clearly fancied a move to Rangers but was persuaded to stay by GB.

Webser went on to have a terrific season and only left after he was omitted from the side several times after the Rix/Tannadice debacle and eventually dropped from the team altogether in early April which allowed Tall to take his place.

I think Webster did more than enough that season to earn a medal but someone above thought they would be a smart arse and punish him for not signing a new deal.

We suffered financially because someone didn't know the rules.

I don't think it is that ridiculous.

Webster clearly fancied a move to Rangers but was persuaded to stay by GB.

Webser went on to have a terrific season and only left after he was omitted from the side several times after the Rix/Tannadice debacle and eventually dropped from the team altogether in early April which allowed Tall to take his place.

I think Webster did more than enough that season to earn a medal but someone above thought they would be a smart arse and punish him for not signing a new deal.

We suffered financially because someone didn't know the rules.

that's a nice little sugar coated, comfort blanket kind of way of looking at it.

my alternative way is that he was tapped up by rangers and the took the huff after hearts knocked back rangers ?1M bid. he decided he didn't want to be part of hearts pre-season preparations citing certain problems.

after he was persuaded to knuckle down he did indeed have a terrific season. he was then rewarded with the offer of a fantastic ?15K pw contract to stay on further with hearts.... which he turned his nose up at. it was at that point he was left out of the side for the DU match and instead of keeping the head down to finish the job of that season like a professional he went ballistic and allowed his agent to leak damaging information to the eagerly awaiting media.

a professional would have seen out the season to attempt to gain hearts the success they had worked so hard for. robie neilson managed to.... webster's self interest got in the way.

he didn't deserve a medal because more professional men stepped in and up to the plate when we really needed them.

**** him ten times over.

Charlie-Brown
Roddy Mac wasn't anywhere near the players Elvis or Webster were/are.

Not a chance.

252 games 9 seasons at Celtic and another 261 games at Hearts - very reliable and powerful centre half - certainly feel the defence was at least as solid with Roddy in the team next to Sandy Jardine compared to Elvis and/or Webster both of whom weren't exactly great players but made the most of their abilities - Roddy was an automatic on the team sheet for 4 or 5 years until Levein really established himself as first choice centre back, none of these 3 players would make a team of top Hearts players since the 1980's but I have fond memories of Roddy MacDonald and I'd have him in my team before the other 2. :)

Drylaw Hearts
252 games 9 seasons at Celtic and another 261 games at Hearts - very reliable and powerful centre half - certainly feel the defence was at least as solid with Roddy in the team next to Sandy Jardine compared to Elvis and/or Webster both of whom weren't exactly great players but made the most of their abilities - Roddy was an automatic on the team sheet for 4 or 5 years until Levein really established himself as first choice centre back, none of these 3 players would make a team of top Hearts players since the 1980's but I have fond memories of Roddy MacDonald and I'd have him in my team before the other 2. :)

Very solid ?

Roddy was an automatic pick in a Hearts team that played in the 1st Division for probably 3 seasons of the 6 he was at the club.

In our best season in his time at Hearts (85/86) he played only a handful of times.

Fond memories or not.....he was most definitely not as good as the other 2.

Fond memories or not.....he was most definitely not as good as the other 2.

I think Charlie is allowing Elvis and Websters opinions of his hero to cloud his judgement somewhat. Either that or hes chucked it.

Charlie-Brown
I think Charlie is allowing Elvis and Websters opinions of his hero to cloud his judgement somewhat. Either that or hes chucked it.

Nope not chucked it - neither Elvis nor Webster were anything special as players and as I said earlier only have as many Scotland caps due to the era they played in under Bertie Vogts Scotland were at a low ebb -neither would have got near the Scotland team in the 80's or 90's and as I said when you were just a young pup Jardine & McDonald was a very solid Hearts centre back pairing at least as good as Elvis & Webster and we got even better still when Levein emerged.

Nope not chucked it - neither Elvis nor Webster were anything special as players and as I said earlier only have as many Scotland caps due to the era they played in under Bertie Vogts Scotland were at a low ebb -neither would have got near the Scotland team in the 80's or 90's and as I said when you were just a young pup Jardine & McDonald was a very solid Hearts centre back pairing at least as good as Elvis & Webster and we got even better still when Levein emerged.

You still dont seem to be grasping the fact that they were miles better than the crap we have now. It was you who brought up players from the 80's who were clearly also miles better than the crap we have now.

Its like saying Robbo was better than Bednar but ignoring the fact Bednar is miles better than any of the diddies currently playing up front.

Archived