Abstinence from alcohol?

chester copperpot

The worst thing about having three days on the bevvy anyway is that on the fourth morning, just before 6am - you get bed cramp!

Is there anything worse?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chester copperpot
Hard period coming up. Are you looking to stay off it through xmas and new year? New Year is over rated so not missing much there but a cheeky tipple at xmas goes down well.

I mainly did it as i was getting bored with the same shabby nights out and to save a few sobs. Seem to go 3/4 weeks then get the urge to go out. happy enough with that but might try and go longer after the new year.

Na I'm staying off it until I hit my target weight loss. I will be stopping until then. I've given myself a year to do it, but am hoping for sooner rather than later.

The xmas period will be difficult, however, I am just going to go through the whole period abstaining, as I find it quite easy now to not bother with it, so I dont really want to have to go through this again at the beginning of next year.

Thanks mate, appreciated. Still got another 3 stone to go before I'm back to my fighting weight, however am feeling much much better, and have lost 4 inches off my waist size, and now fit L/XL T shirts instead of XXL.

All my mates have been pretty good TBH, none have been taking the pish really, which has helped a lot. Not seen much of them, but will start to go visit over the next month now I can go out and not have a bevvy.

The amount of money I am saving per month is absolutely staggering BTW. It's payday next Friday and I still have over half my salary sitting in my bank account, and haven't touched my savings for the first time in about 18 months.

there in lies the only problem with this, you either need to buy a load of new clothes or will look like you are wearing a tent each day. :10900:

Joking aside well done

chester copperpot
there in lies the only problem with this, you either need to buy a load of new clothes or will look like you are wearing a tent each day. :10900:

Joking aside well done

Way ahead of you brother. Went to Cruise on payday last month and bought a new Stone Island jumper to treat myself and start the new wardrobe. I have bought a few T-shirts and a pair of jeans, but still going to the gym in my man tents.

Sterling Archer
Way ahead of you brother. Went to Cruise on payday last month and bought a new Stone Island jumper to treat myself and start the new wardrobe. I have bought a few T-shirts and a pair of jeans, but still going to the gym in my man tents.

Congratulations, since I started my work placement I've put on a fair amount of weight (we get free lunch every day). I've decided to give up the drink and hit the gym a bit more often in the hope of shifting. Not quite at the point of buying new clothes yet but i'm having to stop wearing certain things cause of the way they look. Definate sign that a change is needed. Trying to lose weight during the winter is difficult though, dark nights are depressing.

Miller Jambo 60
So are you still off the bevvy mate.

Thought I'd give a progress update.

Still not had a drink since September 14th, and feeling superb for not doing so. I have had to miss a lot of social gatherings in that time, and the xmas period is going to provide some difficult obstacles to overcome, however I'm confident that I can keep going over the festive period. Still hitting the gym, and at my last weigh in on Monday morning, I had lost 3stone 7lbs since stopping the bevvy in September.

Long way to go, but to all that are struggling, it does get easier. Some people on here mentioned about the 8 week period, and it getting easier. Well you were certainly right. In my 7th week, I felt much much better and dont even think about it anymore. I have also kicked the cravings for the fags that went alongside the bevvying, so overall am feeling much much better for it.

Im still off it and like you Andy was about the same time if not earlier.

feel brand new and certainly dont miss it.

Cant say ive lost any weight but was not a problem at 14 stone i am 6 2.

Still have my Victor Meldrew moments which has proved it was not the bevy but my personality.

The only time i think that i would possibly like a drink is prior to a match but then think its cheaper taking the car.

Xmas might be hard but taking each day at a time.

Doug.

chester copperpot
Im still off it and like you Andy was about the same time if not earlier.

feel brand new and certainly dont miss it.

Cant say ive lost any weight but was not a problem at 14 stone i am 6 2.

Still have my Victor Meldrew moments which has proved it was not the bevy but my personality.

The only time i think that i would possibly like a drink is prior to a match but then think its cheaper taking the car.

Xmas might be hard but taking each day at a time.

Doug.

Good on ye Doug.

I had been hitting the gym really hard until Wednesday night, where I buggered my ankle at football training. Waiting to see if its just a bad sprain or ligament damage, as got it X-rayed yesterday and thankfully no breaks. I hope to feck its only a sprain as the Doctor said if it was ligaments, then I'd be out for 4-6 weeks, which will drive me mental if it is.

No doubt you'd then get the advice to hit the pool instead of the gym.

But for me there's nothing more tedious than ploughing up and down a lane trying to keep count of lengths. Maybe just set a time and keep going until time's up?

All the best - wish I had your perseverance.

Doctor FinnBarr
Na I'm staying off it until I hit my target weight loss. I will be stopping until then. I've given myself a year to do it, but am hoping for sooner rather than later.

The xmas period will be difficult, however, I am just going to go through the whole period abstaining, as I find it quite easy now to not bother with it, so I dont really want to have to go through this again at the beginning of next year.

Can I take it the pub will be out after the presentation?

"Go on, you know you want to"!

:th_o:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Well done mate.

I'd just like to say I cannae wait to get blootered most nights over the festive period. :D

chester copperpot
Can I take it the pub will be out after the presentation?

"Go on, you know you want to"!

:th_o:

I've had to pass on that one, as I cannot drive for 2 weeks due to busting my ankle on Wednesday night.

And cheers Ken, it doesn't actually bother me now, I've got past it. HONEST!

Carl Weathers

Nicely done CC.

What sort of stuff do you do in the gym? Cardio or weights?

I turned down my friday night out to chill/head to the gym. Saved myself ?70-?90 and a hangover tomorrow.

I still drink now and then but have seriously cut it down. Eating properly beforehand and avoiding shots helps massively as well - can't avoid the dreaded hangovers though.

Not sure how xmas will go. I have 3 work nights out, my cousins 21st, my best mates birthday and another random night. Need to stay half sensible at all the work doo's anyway!!

chester copperpot
Nicely done CC.

What sort of stuff do you do in the gym? Cardio or weights?

I turned down my friday night out to chill/head to the gym. Saved myself ?70-?90 and a hangover tomorrow.

I still drink now and then but have seriously cut it down. Eating properly beforehand and avoiding shots helps massively as well - can't avoid the dreaded hangovers though.

Not sure how xmas will go. I have 3 work nights out, my cousins 21st, my best mates birthday and another random night. Need to stay half sensible at all the work doo's anyway!!

I do mainly cardio at the moment mate, as I need to shed pounds, not add. I do an hour on the X trainer, and then a half hour on the bike.

I just do some Biceps/triceps/pec stuff, then do 100 sit ups.

Been doing that every day for 6(except Saturdays, too busy) weeks, until I buggered my ankle on Wednesday.

I tend to find that if an exercise makes me sweat, then I am losing weight.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

BTW CC, you might find you pick up more injuries if you are training that often.

The body has a way of telling you it needs rest periods!

Everybody loves Baz

Well done buddy keep it going, I'm getting bladdered tonight,

That is all. :2thumbsup:

chester copperpot
BTW CC, you might find you pick up more injuries if you are training that often.

The body has a way of telling you it needs rest periods!

Well I truely farked my ankle on Wednesday at footie training, however I have always had weak ankles since my basketball days, so am putting it down to that at the moment mate.

The 6 nights a week in the gym are removing any temptations I have at the moment.

Snake Plissken
I do mainly cardio at the moment mate, as I need to shed pounds, not add. I do an hour on the X trainer, and then a half hour on the bike.

I just do some Biceps/triceps/pec stuff, then do 100 sit ups.

Been doing that every day for 6(except Saturdays, too busy) weeks, until I buggered my ankle on Wednesday.

I tend to find that if an exercise makes me sweat, then I am losing weight.

While cardio does shift the pounds, so do weights, the best bet is a combination of the two.

Doing some moderate weights will help you lose weight substantially quicker - especially if you work the large muscles groups (legs, pecs, lats). If you do an all-over body circuit (pecs, lats, quads, hamstrings, biceps, delts, triceps) and then do your normal cardio you'll shift a lot more weight.

Doing weights raises your metabolic rate, making you burn more calories than normal and keeps it up for longer meaning even after you're out the gym you'll be burning fat.

Just a tip ... I worked as an Instructor for a couple of years and always found that weights then cardio really helped folk shift weight. But the most important thing is to keep it up. :2thumbsup:

I can see me having to try something like this at some point. My hangovers are at a stage now where they are so brutal it is taking me up to 3 days to feel human again after a decent drink. When you're feeling dodgy for half the week because you went out the previous Saturday and sank 10+ pints, smoked 20 fags, then the positives start to outweigh the negatives.

The thing is though, there really is nothing better than having a laugh and a few bevvies with your mates on a Saturday. It's just the aftermath that's the problem. I find it hard to imagine what kind of social life i would have as a 29 year old, with no kids and very few responsibilities, was it not for the batter.

chester copperpot
While cardio does shift the pounds, so do weights, the best bet is a combination of the two.

Doing some moderate weights will help you lose weight substantially quicker - especially if you work the large muscles groups (legs, pecs, lats). If you do an all-over body circuit (pecs, lats, quads, hamstrings, biceps, delts, triceps) and then do your normal cardio you'll shift a lot more weight.

Doing weights raises your metabolic rate, making you burn more calories than normal and keeps it up for longer meaning even after you're out the gym you'll be burning fat.

Just a tip ... I worked as an Instructor for a couple of years and always found that weights then cardio really helped folk shift weight. But the most important thing is to keep it up. :2thumbsup:

I normally do the cardio stuff first, will change it around if you think it will help somewhat.

And Adi, I was the same, but I'm now 35 with 2 kids and house to pay for mate, hence the need for change.

Well done CC, good reading, shows us all it can be done.

I don't touch a drink Sunday to Thursday (unless there's a game on mid week) but tend to overdo it big style Friday/Saturday.

This thread has encouraged me to abstain for a few months although I'm going to wait until after New Year as I feel I'll stand a better chance after that.

Then around April I'll only drink when I'm out and not in the house as I tend to do now (kids).

That's the plan anyway ..... :smiley2:

Iv pretty much stopped drinking over the last 2 years. Probabley had a bevy about 4-5 times since then and prefer it that way.

When I do have a drink I save my self a lot of money as I have a lower tollerence to it, so dosent take much to get drunk..

chester copperpot
Iv pretty much stopped drinking over the last 2 years. Probabley had a bevy about 4-5 times since then and prefer it that way.

When I do have a drink I save my self a lot of money as I have a lower tollerence to it, so dosent take much to get drunk..

That sounds like what I want to get to.

Archived