Abstinence from alcohol?

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

So what's the longest you've been without it?

I sat down a few weeks ago, and looked at the unit's I was consuming per week against the recommended allowance, and actually got quite frightened at the amount I was having per week.

So I have decided to stop to give my liver a bit of a break and see where it goes from there.

I'm actually amazed at how much money I am saving per week by cutting out my wine on a Wednesday and Friday, coupled with my Saturday's down the pub, it's been about ?150 this week alone. Bought myself a nice pair of Retro Air Max trainers with the savings.

So I'm looking for any tips you may have to fill the void in my alcohol free life now.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Findlay

I drink very ocassionally. When I do it is probably no more than 3 lager shandies. Hard core me.

John

I'm teetotal, which brings its own inconveniences. I had a drink when I handed in my dissertation in 2004 and the following weekend, but that was the first for about 7 years. I have said I'll drink if we ever win the league.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

The first 14 years of my life.

Since then no longer than a month.

Edit - I had Glandular fever when I was 18 and didn't drink for around 8 weeks.

:smiley2:

chester copperpot
I drink very ocassionally. When I do it is probably no more than 3 lager shandies. Hard core me.

John

That's kinda what I want to be like though John. I hate the fact that when I have a bevvy, I cannot say no, and am always last one up at a party, making an arse of myself. Because I've got to that stage, I feel a period of abstinence is in order until I can say that I can do without it, because at the moment I am not at that stage.

Hopefully one day though.

John Findlay
That's kinda what I want to be like though John. I hate the fact that when I have a bevvy, I cannot say no, and am always last one up at a party, making an arse of myself. Because I've got to that stage, I feel a period of abstinence is in order until I can say that I can do without it, because at the moment I am not at that stage.

I had a good teacher. My mother. She was an alcoholic.

My father's mantra was. You rule drink, it doesn't rule you.

By and by I have stood by that.

John

I P Knightley

I once took a complete break of about 18 months. Similar reasoning to your own plus the realisation that I had a few alcoholics in my family tree, which gave me a spot of concern.

Nowadays, I tend to have nothing at all Sunday-Thursday and maybe 3-4 pints a night Fri & Sat. A lot depends on what's going on and, like you, I have been known to be the last leaving the party!

chester copperpot
I once took a complete break of about 18 months. Similar reasoning to your own plus the realisation that I had a few alcoholics in my family tree, which gave me a spot of concern.

Nowadays, I tend to have nothing at all Sunday-Thursday and maybe 3-4 pints a night Fri & Sat. A lot depends on what's going on and, like you, I have been known to be the last leaving the party!

Again, I have a similar family tree which is concerning me somewhat. With my kids being so young, I cannot continue down the path that I currently am, or they will be without a dad in their late teens.

So if you ever see me out, a diet coke will be my tipple for a fair few months. I would like to get to the stage of having a couple of pints on a friday and saturday, but at this point, that couple would turn into 12, which I'd rather stay away from at this point in time.

Miller Jambo 60

Hi Andy interesting thread, as you say you cannot say no.

Thing is its sometimes difficult when the drink takes over and you forget about your problems (SHORT TERM) and in effect you are enjoying life.

Not had a drink for a about 6 weeks and TBH not that bothered.

Sometimes you have to value whats more important in life a few bevies or your health and family.

Take care mate,

Doug.

Regal Kingston

Fill your weekends with activities that don't involve drink.

That or try smoking weed.

Very difficult to get off the sauce as its everywhere. Birthdays/Weddings/Christenings/Football.

I would advise to start hanging about with people that don't drink.

Radioactive Mince

I got a bottle of JD for my birthday. This thread makes me want some. I haven't even opened it. Hmm. Maybe a few before bed...

I went quite long without any alcohol. Not intentionally as such, but must have been a good two or three months. I just forgot how good it was to be minced (p.n.i) for a while.

Mince

Last time I drank was in November last year on holiday.

I rarely drink, its never something which has intrested me an I don't have an addictive personality.

Radioactive Mince
Fill your weekends with activities that don't involve drink.

That or try smoking weed.

That might work.

Why don't you start cooking at the weekends if you don't already? Could keep your mind off drink and provide much-needed hand-to-mouth habitual soothing.

Don't cook anything with wine or brandy as an ingredient, though. :booze:

Mince

Regal Kingston
That might work.

Why don't you start cooking at the weekends if you don't already? Could keep your mind off drink and provide much-needed hand-to-mouth habitual soothing.

Mince

Thats how Keith Floyd (RIP) started!

Good idea though. I would also suggest gorge walking

chester copperpot
That might work.

Mince

Lawl!

Thanks for the advice.

The whole problem is, you stop for two weeks, then when you next drink you more than make up for it!! Then its just back to usual drinking patterns. Enjoyable though.

Again, I have a similar family tree which is concerning me somewhat. With my kids being so young, I cannot continue down the path that I currently am, or they will be without a dad in their late teens.

So if you ever see me out, a diet coke will be my tipple for a fair few months. I would like to get to the stage of having a couple of pints on a friday and saturday, but at this point, that couple would turn into 12, which I'd rather stay away from at this point in time.

Good luck with this. My uncle died of cirrhosis of the liver in January having been an alcoholic for 40 years. Both of my grandpas were alcoholics as well. My teetotal aunt goes to AA meetings which she gets a lot from.

Miller Jambo 60
Good luck with this. My uncle died of cirrhosis of the liver in January having been an alcoholic for 40 years. Both of my grandpas were alcoholics as well. My teetotal aunt goes to AA meetings which she gets a lot from.

Sorry to hear that mate, and i think we all know drink is a killer for certain people.

It is more widespread and a problem than we can possibly imagine.

Doug.

chester copperpot

Thing is, am not an alcoholic, far from it. I just binge drink to the extent where it's not doing me any good.

I'd rather give up for a while, then try to enjoy some sociable drinks rather than become the party arsehole all the time.

I'm choosing to stop rather than control what I am doing for the time being.

as i worked in the bar and club trade for 10 years i was a terrible binge drinker -i would only take one day off a week and basically would go on a 24 hour bender-left the bar trade and just to prove to myself i could do it i stopped for 24 months that was about 7 years ago when i was 32- these days i ll maybed have no more than 4 or 5 on a nite out and try and keep it to that,the fear of a 2 day hangover helps :)

Although coming home next week for a visit so not sure if ill get away with my 5 drink max when catching up with folk :-)

Thing is, am not an alcoholic, far from it. I just binge drink to the extent where it's not doing me any good.

I'd rather give up for a while, then try to enjoy some sociable drinks rather than become the party arsehole all the time.

driving is a great way to keep you sober - and a good excuse if you're worried about folks reactions. We know in Scotland there is a culture of people encouraging each other to take another, one for the road, and all the macho crap.

having the car outside is a good way round that - mainly cause yer mates will appreciate the lift home at the end of the night

I P Knightley

Stay away from parties and just be an arsehole! Works for me!!

Seriusly though, there's two things that I take out of my experience that might be relevant.

When I stopped drinking, I initially set out to do so for a set & manageable time. It was around this time of year and I decided I would give up until the work's Christmas party. At first, mates were stunned - one of them saw me in the pub with a glass of Perrier, wouldn't believe that it wasn't booze, poured it over the pub floor and ordered a Perrier, just to check my reaction! I got used to being the taxi driver and feeling pretty good most mornings. It got to the xmas party and I just decided to keep on without the booze. Took the car and gave lifts home to a handful of folk including one rather tasty blonde who gave me tops & fingers. Staying off the booze became as much of a habit as living it up had been and I lasted a further 15 months or so with only two pints of Guinness at a wedding.

Secondly, having kids and devoting time and energy to them gives less time & energy for the bevvy. I'm not out anywhere near as much as I was with kids, or when we had only one. So, when I say I have 3 or 4 pints of a Friday night, it's usually in the house in front of the telly. On the odd occasion that I do make it out for a toot, I'll double that but it's little more than once a month.

mulleted_jambo

What do people do if they don't go to the pub on a Friday and Saturday night???

serious question I'm looking for ideas.

Miller Jambo 60

Pump a female, easy.:2thumbsup:

Pump a female, easy.:2thumbsup:

:2thumbsup:

Top darts Doug.

Bert Le Clos

I took August off the drink, purely to save money. Which I did, about ?300.

Apart from that it was a very average month. I felt no benefit from it, other than being slightly more awake come Monday morning. I ended up watching a lot of rubbish TV on Friday and Saturday nights.

I only ususally drink on Saturdays because I play rugby. I see no problem with getting mullered most Saturdays.

A sad question.

Cinema, theatre, go to somebody's house for dinner, invite somebody to your house for dinner (not a booze up, to eat and chat, watch a film after, etc.). Stay in and read. Go for a walk and arrive home at 11 pm and go to bed.

Stay in read kickback. Friday and Saturday nights is when it's really cooking on JKB.

scottish_chicP

I generally don't touch drink Sun-Thurs but I do binge drink on a Sat and occassionally on a Fri. I have tried staying in but I get bored and just end up wishing I had gone out with everyone else. I am only 23 and single so I guess when I settle down a bit I will probably drink less. For now though I'll stick to my Sat's :)

I generally don't touch drink Sun-Thurs but I do binge drink on a Sat and occassionally on a Fri. I have tried staying in but I get bored and just end up wishing I had gone out with everyone else. I am only 23 and single so I guess when I settle down a bit I will probably drink less. For now though I'll stick to my Sat's :)

Your PM inbox mighr explode in light of this intelligence.

mulleted_jambo
A sad question.

Cinema, theatre, go to somebody's house for dinner, invite somebody to your house for dinner (not a booze up, to eat and chat, watch a film after, etc.). Stay in and read. Go for a walk and arrive home at 11 pm and go to bed.

Stay in read kickback. Friday and Saturday nights is when it's really cooking on JKB.

Go to the cinema sometimes but couldn't go that often, not really a Theatre kind of guy, dinner would invole drinking IMO, walking for tha sake of walking is pretty dull, TV on friday and saturday is a joke(match of the day aside).

Think I'll stick to Doug's suggestion :2thumbsup:

Go to the cinema sometimes but couldn't go that often, not really a Theatre kind of guy, dinner would invole drinking IMO, walking for tha sake of walking is pretty dull, TV on friday and saturday is a joke(match of the day aside).

Think I'll stick to Doug's suggestion :2thumbsup:

Will you need the pub (or club) and the boze for that?

Second thought, good idea. Get young females to do your drinking for you.

Good health + good shagging = more good health + more good shagging.

portobellojambo1

I am one of those who doesn't drink Sunday nght through Thursday night, as I have work the next morning, and don't drink Friday nights through choice.

My drink is consumed before and after football matches, can get a bit messy if it is a Saturday, not so much on Sundays, pre match only, as there is work Monday.

Will have one or two drinks max. before a midweek game, nothing afterwards.

mulleted_jambo
Will you need the pub (or club) and the boze for that?

Second thought, good idea. Get young females to do your drinking for you.

Good health + good shagging = more good health + more good shagging.

Yea thats got to be the way forward. Save money by staying at home and pumping the bird.

Although if something goes wrong with that you could end up seriously out of pocket:43:

Yea thats got to be the way forward. Save money by staying at home and pumping the bird.

Although if something goes wrong with that you could end up seriously out of pocket:43:

Weans and divorces surely cost more than even the finest spirits. Beer + ham shank then.

mulleted_jambo
Weans and divorces surely cost more than even the finest spirits. Beer + ham shank then.

Ah I think we've sussed it. The best and cheapest option is to get so drunk that you can't get it up anyway. That way you don't have to worry about these kind of things. :2thumbsup:

Miller Jambo 60
Your PM inbox mighr explode in light of this intelligence.

Ha Ha quality, knowing the crew on here you could be right.:10900:

chester copperpot

Just joined Bannantyne's gym through an appointment I booked this morning.

That should fill some of the gaps. :smiley2:

Miller Jambo 60
Just joined Bannantyne's gym through an appointment I booked this morning.

That should fill some of the gaps. :smiley2:

Can see it now Andy built like Arnie.

They wont dare mess with you at dkheid again.:2thumbsup:

Have been down the get off the drink trail, about thirty years ago woke up one morning the wife asked me where I had been the night before and couldn't remember a thing, scared the daylights out of me. It all came back but I figured thats enough and didn't drink anything for about a year. To be honest quite enjoyed it, could go to parties didn't slaver my usual rubbish,(before anyone suggests it no this rubbish is being done completely sober) felt good the next day, got back into it but with a bit more discipline and caution.

When I retired and moved to Osoyoos, got in with a bunch of golfers and we were hitting the beer good after games, which were 5/6 days a week, and sitting on the deck later with a couple of vodka tonic. Since moving here in Kelowna don't spend much time with the guys. Like to have a few wets in the afternoon when its hot, or in the winter by the fire, but have cut back significantly. I can get into the demon booze pretty good when I am with a group of guys, I fit the description of social drinker, it turns out I am one of the most sociable people around :smiley2: It has taken the better part of 60 years but I have finally learned that liquor is pleasant, but as somebody said only when you rule the liquor and not when it rules you.

Went 6 months off the booze, after an ulcer bled (drink induced). Long lay off ruined a bloody good drinking career, can only drink a fraction of the quantity I used to put away. That said I've saved a packet since.

:10900:

One or two is an alien concept for me, I either give it a miss or generally end up hammered and often make an erse of myself (sometimes on JKB!). Coupled with that I only ever smoke when drinking and on a good night can easily get through 20-30, which can leave me waking up with a worse cigarette hangover than an alcohol one. Have recently laid off both considerably and feeling better for it, although I hope to be able to resume normal service at about 75% of my usual capacity once our darts league resumes in 3 weeks. :10900:

Once went the best part of 18 months for no reason other than I couldn't be arsed drinking, now it's only at social gatherings like birthdays etc and like tonight for example for a leaving do for work seeing as we're shut tomorrow

Never been one to be under control of the demon drink, eating crap is my biggest vice, thank god I inherited my dads metabolism

jack D and coke
One or two is an alien concept for me, I either give it a miss or generally end up hammered and often make an erse of myself (sometimes on JKB!). Coupled with that I only ever smoke when drinking and on a good night can easily get through 20-30, which can leave me waking up with a worse cigarette hangover than an alcohol one. Have recently laid off both considerably and feeling better for it, although I hope to be able to resume normal service at about 75% of my usual capacity once our darts league resumes in 3 weeks. :10900:

Totally is for me too. My mum used to always say why cant you drink in moderation but i just cant. I know i probably drink far too much but i like the booze i must admit. I reckon i've had a drink every day for the at least the last 4 months be it wine or beer and been mad wi it a right few times in that period.

Not big and not clever but i'm not fat and i dont think its affected me too much. At the doctors a few weeks back for an infection on my leg and doc took my blood pressure and resting heartbeat and said it was that of an athlete. Not sure if that was a good thing or not lol cos it's kinda gave me the green light to carry on.

I've never craved a drink i think thats the important thing.

Never been a midweek drinker as i'm the same as a lot of folk - if i'm having one, i'm having 10. I can't do it in moderation so i don't bother when there's work in the morning.

Never seen the point in just having 'a couple of pints' anyway. I'd rather not bother. If i'm out i'm out for a laugh and a proper bevvy.

What gets me now is the hangovers. Horrendous. So i don't go out every weekend like i used to. Still love going out with my mates though, always will, just doesn't happen as much. That's an age thing as well and as i'm kicking the arse out my 20's i suppose it's natural.

Went without for 3 weeks in May while training for the Edin 10k run. Felt better for it and saved a few bob.

Lost a bit of the belly that had taken me 30 years to build up as well.

Think that moderation is the important thing with alcohol if you want to stay healthy.

Archived