Abstinence from alcohol?

chester copperpot

Nucky Thompson

I love a bevy at the weekends and every day when I'm on holiday. I give up alcohol completely every 3rd of January for six weeks and pound the gym every day till I go on my annual holiday to Tenerife mid February. It's a routine I've stuck to for a few years.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I moved to live a few miles beyond the arse end of nowhere 20+ years ago I've had to become more of a binge drinker, though the binges are few and far between. Poor (i.e. nearest bus stop is 2 1/4 miles away) local transport service means I've had to drive everywhere thus stay off the booze when going out. A once in a while blowout (like this coming Saturday :D) is sufficient to satisfy me.

Petty crime again Kenny aye? :10900:

lol... nah purely to see if I could. Got boared in the end and flew to Bremen and got bevvied on Grerman beer.

Carl Weathers

Andy, I'm a shocking binge drinker and very easily fall into the trap of getting hammered when I only intended to have a 'couple'. I've never once felt like I 'need' a drink though.

I actually managed to take 3months off of the grog at the start of the year.

Since then I've been drunk about 3-4 times (including last weekend:57:).

I still can have a few pints and depending on who I'm with can manage that just fine.

It really just depends how you feel about it after. I feel terrible, so I have to limit it these days. I get pretty bad memory black outs though. It's a nasty experience!

It's worth mentioning that I just finished Uni' and have very little responsibilities, if any! :smiley2:

I spent ?100 on Friday - it wasn't worth it.

I'm trying to put a 6 pint limit on a night out and then I can feel guilt free the next day. Shots/crazy drinks are an absolute no no.

Good luck!:2thumbsup:

It's amazing how many people on this thread have the same experience as me.

I loved a bevvy, but never once felt I needed one - never drank in the house. I also hated the thought of having a couple and then toddling off home, so about 3 nights a week I'd get completely hammered - love every last second of it and make a total goose of myself. A good bevvy was a great thing for me because it was all good fun.

I gave it up for 3 months at one stage when I was about 30, for a bet and I'd go to the pub and drink softies. No-one could believe that I wasn't dying on a pint - which I wasn't.

At about 34 I got a bout of Pancreatitis and 6 months later another bout.

I couldn't bear the thought of being a shandy drinking, two pint poof, so I gave away the bevvy all together.

I haven't had a drink in 10 yrs.

After 6 months off the grog I slimmed down to the same weight I had been when I was 21 and that was without any dieting.

I haven't missed it at all to be honest. I think by the time you are 35 you have done all the good time drinking that you need to do and the consequences of continuing are only going to be very detrimental.

If you can be a 2 pint poof, then that's great, but for me it had to be all or nothing. What's the point of stopping just as you are getting warmed up. :10900:

I can't start again now anyway or I'd be like a 17 yr old - ****ed off my tits on a 1 1/2 pints.

Still got a while to go till I am 35 likes but not had a drink since Sunday. Probably as I was rat faced then :-) Maybe have a glass of red tonight though.

Once went the best part of 18 months for no reason other than I couldn't be arsed drinking, now it's only at social gatherings like birthdays etc and like tonight for example for a leaving do for work seeing as we're shut tomorrow

Right that's me off drink now for another wee while, when the night before involves police and ambulances and the morning after gives me a head like this it's not worth it

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Never been a midweek drinker as i'm the same as a lot of folk - if i'm having one, i'm having 10. I can't do it in moderation so i don't bother when there's work in the morning.

Never seen the point in just having 'a couple of pints' anyway. I'd rather not bother. If i'm out i'm out for a laugh and a proper bevvy.

What gets me now is the hangovers. Horrendous. So i don't go out every weekend like i used to. Still love going out with my mates though, always will, just doesn't happen as much. That's an age thing as well and as i'm kicking the arse out my 20's i suppose it's natural.

That's really not your decision is it. It's the burds :wink:

Becoming a dad is the thing that has stopped my every weekend drinking sessions. I still love going out but have to do it less often nowadays....it is not easy getting a babysitter for a 9 month old. In saying that, I was out last weekend and I'm out again on Saturday so I'm not doing too badly :smiley2:

Never really been a midweek drinker either. I did it for a while in my early 20s but now only enjoy a few pints when there is footy on, but I have no more than 3 or 4 pints.

Hangovers have never really been a major issue for me.

Snake Plissken

I had two rum and cokes last night, two pints of Guinness the night before and prior to that I hadn't had a drink in about 5 weeks.

I often go long stretches without a drink and hardly notice, I'm a purely social drinker.

Radioactive Mince
Right that's me off drink now for another wee while, when the night before involves police and ambulances and the morning after gives me a head like this it's not worth it

Ah, out in Dunfermline were we?

:laugh:

Mince

Few years ago i was getting pains in my stomach for a while and i went to the docs.They took blood etc.Said my liver count was high.Got a fright and looked at the amount i was drinking got a fright.

Went a month without it and now don't drink half as much as i used to.

I'm a purely social drinker.

Yep, and because you're as popular as herpes, you never drink.

Maybe see you tomorrow.

x

:wink:

Give it up and you don't live any longer, you just feel like you do:stuart:

I used to be in the anti-temperance league, I was that political - mind you, I'd had a few...

Consumption has a lot to do with the yearly parades which cause so much of a stushie:nah:

I gace up for a couple of months once, just to see if I could do it.

You don't realise how much our social culture depends on alcohol until you stop.

I didn't have a car at the time so it was harder to resist without the excuse.

The worst part I found, was that when you were chatting to girls, it felt like you were taking advantage of them because they were drunk and you were sober.

The difficult part is chatting them up in the first place.... but once you're in there it makes a huge difference when you've got a clear head!

So what's the longest you've been without it?

I sat down a few weeks ago, and looked at the unit's I was consuming per week against the recommended allowance, and actually got quite frightened at the amount I was having per week.

So I have decided to stop to give my liver a bit of a break and see where it goes from there.

I'm actually amazed at how much money I am saving per week by cutting out my wine on a Wednesday and Friday, coupled with my Saturday's down the pub, it's been about ?150 this week alone. Bought myself a nice pair of Retro Air Max trainers with the savings.

So I'm looking for any tips you may have to fill the void in my alcohol free life now.

Good luck I can empathise with you.... I find it very hard to stop at 1 drink, then it's bring out the tequila rose and good night Vienna. I wish you well let us know how you get on and how you fill the void that we so often have when not in the pub

Gavsy Van Gaverson

CC - Posting "I'm burst" on Facebook is not the actions of a man who is abstaining from alcohol.

Good job.

:10900:

Miller Jambo 60
I gace up for a couple of months once, just to see if I could do it.

You don't realise how much our social culture depends on alcohol until you stop.

I didn't have a car at the time so it was harder to resist without the excuse.

The worst part I found, was that when you were chatting to girls, it felt like you were taking advantage of them because they were drunk and you were sober.

The difficult part is chatting them up in the first place.... but once you're in there it makes a huge difference when you've got a clear head!

Helps when your pumping them too.:2thumbsup:

scottish_chicP

After the weekend I have had I think abstinence from alcohol could be a good shout for a while.

up until a while back, i went for a drink every tuesday night and after every home game. but i have stopped drinking till after christmas,there are a number of reasons,binge drinking,making a tit of myself and feeling awkward the next day and money. its been nowhere near as bad as i thought it would be.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I'm pretty positive I didnt have a drink one day back in 1983, I could be mistaken though but it wont be happening again as long as I'm in this life.

• 2 weeks later...
chester copperpot
CC - Posting "I'm burst" on Facebook is not the actions of a man who is abstaining from alcohol.

Good job.

:10900:

I had an evening on the herbal cigarette's Gavsy :10900:

5th weekend alcohol free. It's starting to get tough now, which is a bit of a worry.

I sat down a few weeks ago, and looked at the unit's I was consuming per week against the recommended allowance, and actually got quite frightened at the amount I was having per week.

So I have decided to stop to give my liver a bit of a break and see where it goes from there.

I'm actually amazed at how much money I am saving per week by cutting out my wine on a Wednesday and Friday, coupled with my Saturday's down the pub, it's been about ?150 this week alone. Bought myself a nice pair of Retro Air Max trainers with the savings.

So I'm looking for any tips you may have to fill the void in my alcohol free life now.

Hi Chester

Kinda sad guy like you just now

Go to gym twice week with my mate in Glasgow

thought time i travel etc - thats my workout time

so built a gym indoors - bike and treadmill plus teles to watch footy whilst doing stuff

still go with mate , but on nights not with him , i am ave weekly 124miles on treadmill and bike that = 4.561cal loss

loss of cals = 22pints of lager at ?2.25p per pint = ?49.50p

you beat me there mate - well done

Aways abstain drink Lent [ every year ] but make up after with money saved

Went 5 weeks not drinking - mates thought me dead - think you got health bug Chester

I had an evening on the herbal cigarette's Gavsy :10900:

5th weekend alcohol free. It's starting to get tough now, which is a bit of a worry.

I reckon if you make it past 8 weeks it becomes a dawdle.

chester copperpot
He's always like that :10900:

Giving up booze and fags is a pretty tough combination mate. I'm kinda on edge all the time the now.

Miller Jambo 60
Giving up booze and fags is a pretty tough combination mate. I'm kinda on edge all the time the now.

I just go to tyne for 90 mins and im on edge.

Doctor FinnBarr

This thread makes no sense!

:stuart:

Do you not find you get a little grumpy? :)

Stop stalking me. I already got an infraction after the last bit of trolling you did.

As a general rule, I tend not to drink Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs. I've also stopped going to crap nightclubs at weekends. In fact, I'm rarely out up town at all these days and I don't miss it at all.

If I'm staying in at the weekend, I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine. When I go to the home games, I love going for beers either side of it. That to me, is a real pleasure.

Before I became a dad, I used to go out Fridays and Saturdays, often spending about ?150 at the weekend. Crazy days!

i have calmed down my drinking the past few months, more to do with early starts, as i have to drive i am very careful if i have any drink the night before, i have even seen myself having a bottle or 2 with my dinner and thats it. where in the past it would be a case of beer.

weekends as i am mostly on call i can't touch a drop, what i have found is that i can go days without a drink, if i do have one i can have a few instead of tanking the whole case.

i was at the doctors a year or so ago and the question of how much do you drink came up, i said 4 bottles of red wine, when the doctor said that was pushing it a bit for the week, i replied that was the previous night, liver test was then ordered, came back clean, but got me wondering how much i was drinking, i was amazed how many bottles of beer i was going through a week.

I now find myself buying quality over quantity and feel better for it, plus started playing 5's on a friday night keeps me out the boozer after work on a friday, joined a gym and have the induction tomorrow so i have something to do rather than opening up a beer

I used to be a fairly average social drinker in my early twenties but now I frequently go 2or 3 weeks at a time without a drink.

One of the problems with drinking very little is that it gets to the point where its almost more hassle than its worth. What I mean by that, is that if, for example, you go a month without a drink and then go for a night on the town, you feel the effects of the alcohol very quickly and have a hangover the next day, even if you've not actually drunk very much.

I suppose the question of alcohol and how we deal with it, is a challenge that we all face throughout our lives. Some folk cope with that challenge a lot better than others. Some people are better off just avoiding the stuff whereas some people find it positively energising.

Winston Churchill famously said "I've taken more out of drink than drink has taken out of me."

Stop stalking me. I already got an infraction after the last bit of trolling you did.

Good. I might have a dram to celebrate :)

Generally have one or two pints on the way home from work most nights, stay for the pub quiz every other wednesday and out friday and saturday nights!

However in the near future I may need to start taking 8 week breaks from the bevvy as I've just been put forward for a job in Saudi Arabia!!

Sexton Hardcastle

Off the sauce untill Xmas i think.

1 Week down. Only the derby and the Cis game to get by and it should be easy street.

Have hardly touched a drop all year to be honest except for a week away for my mates wedding where i was best man in June.

Have been on a health kick in the gym this year and lost 3+ stone and so deliberately stopped drinking as i wanted to get fit.

Now that i am im not really fussy about having any which i never thought would happen.

Only thing is when going out with the girlfriend and she wants a bottle of wine with dinner i prefer not to bother.

Keep up the good work for those avoiding it :2thumbsup:

chester copperpot
Have hardly touched a drop all year to be honest except for a week away for my mates wedding where i was best man in June.

Have been on a health kick in the gym this year and lost 3+ stone and so deliberately stopped drinking as i wanted to get fit.

Now that i am im not really fussy about having any which i never thought would happen.

Only thing is when going out with the girlfriend and she wants a bottle of wine with dinner i prefer not to bother.

Keep up the good work for those avoiding it :2thumbsup:

Am setting myself small targets, and have been pummelling the gym the last 4weeks which has helped keep me focussed.

I've set myself 12 months off the bevvy, and then will assess from there. I reckon it will start getting easier once I've been off the booze for 8 weeks or so. What makes it more difficult is that I'm an anti social smoker, so always had a fag when I was drinking. Although I dont crave fags, I reckon the lack of nicoteen is making me slightly edgy some days.

I've became addicted to Pink Lady apples since stopping the bevvy, I cannot get enough of them. This must be my strongbow equivalent of methadone.

After reading your post, i have taken stock off how much i was drinking which was on average 3 large bottles of lager every night and worked out that i was drinking at least around 1100 bottles of lager a year, with vodka on the top sometimes.

Its only a start but after reading this thread i have stopped drinking not had a drop since Saturday night ( you got to start somewhere )

Ill let you know how i progress, it was only at nights i got the urge to drink ( strange )

Anyway I'm on the water, just had a shower and shave, about to watch a horror flick.

Thank you for posting this thread, i have opened my eyes to a problem i did not realize i had, i kept saying whats a few beers huh well whats 1100 beers, my health, and my life.

Thanks again, i feel really strong about this and i intend to do some fitness and loose a bit of wight as well.

All the best.

I used to be a fairly average social drinker in my early twenties but now I frequently go 2or 3 weeks at a time without a drink.

One of the problems with drinking very little is that it gets to the point where its almost more hassle than its worth. What I mean by that, is that if, for example, you go a month without a drink and then go for a night on the town, you feel the effects of the alcohol very quickly and have a hangover the next day, even if you've not actually drunk very much.

I suppose the question of alcohol and how we deal with it, is a challenge that we all face throughout our lives. Some folk cope with that challenge a lot better than others. Some people are better off just avoiding the stuff whereas some people find it positively energising.

Winston Churchill famously said "I've taken more out of drink than drink has taken out of me."

Unfortunatly my body shape is starting to resemble Winston Churchill time to stop me thinks.

• 4 weeks later...
chester copperpot
After reading your post, i have taken stock off how much i was drinking which was on average 3 large bottles of lager every night and worked out that i was drinking at least around 1100 bottles of lager a year, with vodka on the top sometimes.

Its only a start but after reading this thread i have stopped drinking not had a drop since Saturday night ( you got to start somewhere )

Ill let you know how i progress, it was only at nights i got the urge to drink ( strange )

Anyway I'm on the water, just had a shower and shave, about to watch a horror flick.

Thank you for posting this thread, i have opened my eyes to a problem i did not realize i had, i kept saying whats a few beers huh well whats 1100 beers, my health, and my life.

Thanks again, i feel really strong about this and i intend to do some fitness and loose a bit of wight as well.

All the best.

So are you still off the bevvy mate.

Thought I'd give a progress update.

Still not had a drink since September 14th, and feeling superb for not doing so. I have had to miss a lot of social gatherings in that time, and the xmas period is going to provide some difficult obstacles to overcome, however I'm confident that I can keep going over the festive period. Still hitting the gym, and at my last weigh in on Monday morning, I had lost 3stone 7lbs since stopping the bevvy in September.

Long way to go, but to all that are struggling, it does get easier. Some people on here mentioned about the 8 week period, and it getting easier. Well you were certainly right. In my 7th week, I felt much much better and dont even think about it anymore. I have also kicked the cravings for the fags that went alongside the bevvying, so overall am feeling much much better for it.

So are you still off the bevvy mate.

Thought I'd give a progress update.

Still not had a drink since September 14th, and feeling superb for not doing so. I have had to miss a lot of social gatherings in that time, and the xmas period is going to provide some difficult obstacles to overcome, however I'm confident that I can keep going over the festive period. Still hitting the gym, and at my last weigh in on Monday morning, I had lost 3stone 7lbs since stopping the bevvy in September.

Long way to go, but to all that are struggling, it does get easier. Some people on here mentioned about the 8 week period, and it getting easier. Well you were certainly right. In my 7th week, I felt much much better and dont even think about it anymore. I have also kicked the cravings for the fags that went alongside the bevvying, so overall am feeling much much better for it.

Well done xx

3st 7lbs!!!

Legendary performance "not so" big man.

Admirable effort. Right about now you'll start to find out who your real mates are. Some will get jealous of the fact that you are really making a difference to your life and try to get you back to your old ways.

Make sure you have a really horrendous "before" pic handy so you can see what a difference you have made to yourself.

Well done mate.

Sexton Hardcastle
Off the sauce untill Xmas i think.

1 Week down. Only the derby and the Cis game to get by and it should be easy street.

I held on until the past 2 weekends. Firstly getting roped into a shoddy night out and the past weekend a firday/sat double header with the derby and the boxing. Think i will try and sack it again until Dec xmas nights out.

Well done on shedding those pounds.

chester copperpot
3st 7lbs!!!

Legendary performance "not so" big man.

Admirable effort. Right about now you'll start to find out who your real mates are. Some will get jealous of the fact that you are really making a difference to your life and try to get you back to your old ways.

Make sure you have a really horrendous "before" pic handy so you can see what a difference you have made to yourself.

Well done mate.

Thanks mate, appreciated. Still got another 3 stone to go before I'm back to my fighting weight, however am feeling much much better, and have lost 4 inches off my waist size, and now fit L/XL T shirts instead of XXL.

All my mates have been pretty good TBH, none have been taking the pish really, which has helped a lot. Not seen much of them, but will start to go visit over the next month now I can go out and not have a bevvy.

The amount of money I am saving per month is absolutely staggering BTW. It's payday next Friday and I still have over half my salary sitting in my bank account, and haven't touched my savings for the first time in about 18 months.

chester copperpot
I held on until the past 2 weekends. Firstly getting roped into a shoddy night out and the past weekend a firday/sat double header with the derby and the boxing. Think i will try and sack it again until Dec xmas nights out.

Well done on shedding those pounds.

Mate, if you fall off the wagon, you just need to get back on it again. I've been lucky enough to get loads of support that I haven't fell off yet, but that's not to say that I wont.

Sexton Hardcastle

Hard period coming up. Are you looking to stay off it through xmas and new year? New Year is over rated so not missing much there but a cheeky tipple at xmas goes down well.

I mainly did it as i was getting bored with the same shabby nights out and to save a few sobs. Seem to go 3/4 weeks then get the urge to go out. happy enough with that but might try and go longer after the new year.

Archived