Whiskey...

Rossco

I'm in the mood for some whisky now, only got Grouse in the house so that will have to do!

who are you kidding, its the junkie special High Commissioner you have on optics in your house !

who are you kidding, its the junkie special High Commissioner you have on optics in your house !

Optics!!!

Straight out the bottle more like!

Geoff Kilpatrick
Its amazing that the rest of the world cant recreate the taste of Scotch given that the production method is simple to copy. Natures gift to Scotland even with lowland whiskies produced in semi industrialised areas I'm told.

PS I.m aware that the Japanese, Irish and Welsh are said to come close.

The Irish distil the whiskey three times rather than twice, which is why I love Bushmills (plus it is the world's oldest licensed distillery). Tastes like nectar. Americans idiotically only distil bourbon once, so it's rank.

In general you are correct, though. It is amazing how the different rocks and soils have managed to make whisky an almost uniquely Scottish thing.

The Irish distil the whiskey three times rather than twice, which is why I love Bushmills (plus it is the world's oldest licensed distillery). Tastes like nectar. Americans idiotically only distil bourbon once, so it's rank.

In general you are correct, though. It is amazing how the different rocks and soils have managed to make whisky an almost uniquely Scottish thing.

Don't forget the water

Just about to crack open a Bowmore 'Enigma' I picked up at the airport tonight. I'm a tad fecked off I grabbed this one in haste as it's been sweetened in sherry casks -- I generally like my whisky like The Subway West End clientele (rough and about 14 years old).

The proof shall be in the drinking though.

I was always a traditionalist re drinking whisky and took it neat. Nowadays, however, I like it with a spot of water and ( god forbid ) some ice. :th_o:

I always like my whisky... sip then a sip of beer (they seem to "go" with each other with me) I guess it's a nip and beer! :laugh:

I love Bowmore.

My dad was born in the wee houses that were knocked down a few years ago in the Dalwhinnie distillery. His dad worked there. So that should really be included in my favourites too.

Carl Fredrickson

Just heard that whilst over at Kilberry next week, my good lady has booked us on a tour of the Springbank Distillery @ Campletown on Wednesday - woo hoo.

She tells me it is 10am - boooooo. Is that too early to start on the free samples?

I've drunk Glenmorangie Rosewood and Madeirawood finishes. Also had a 20 year old Ardbeg which was pretty good.

46 now and didnt start drinking whisky until I was 41. I have a taste for the Laphroaig(excuse the spelling) Isle of Islay.

John

Know zero about whisky.

Got a good mate of mine an ?85 bottle of "tactical" (I think that was what it was called) one sherry cask that was from x brewers and was numbered. It was worth more than I paid for it before I got home, and was worth three times that when we cracked it open.

John Gentleman

18yo Glenlivet and/or Glenfiddich. Drank neat with a glass of Lowenbrau Munchen in close proximity. If Speyside malt is nothing else, it's a safe bet it'll be pretty good. Not a great fan of West Highland/Island malts though - bit too peaty for my taste, but each to their own. Never tried Highland Park mindye; isn't that produced in Orkney?

Oh, and (in traditional Scottish fashion) I still 'shoogle' the remains of the whisky into the beer. Anyone who mixes an old malt with anything other than ice/water is wasting their money - might as well just by a cheap bottle of Johnnie Walker Red.

Slightly off-topic, but you'd be amazed at the number of Aussies who think whisky matures in the bottle. Duh! Probably because they've all become wine snobs.

Ce'st la vie.

My preference is for the Islay holy trinity of Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardbeg. Of these, Lagavulin is the biggest-hitting taste in whisky, Laphroaig the most medicinal and Ardbeg, with its fetid-sock aroma, the weirdest.

But I'll drink anything. Macallan and anything from Glenfarclas are my Speyside favourites. Elsewhere, Highland Park and Scapa are both great. Clynelish has a lovely, peppery taste and from Campbeltown, Springbank is to die for.

My favourite unrated or underrated malts are Fettercairn and Ledaig.

Mac, how very dare you suggest that Cragganmore and Dalwhinnie are not good malts!

Leggy, it's only my choice of what I thing are the weakest of the "Classic" malts, and in my defence, I just had some Cragganmore at a Scottish friend's house which I enjoyed!:stuart:

Leggy, it's only my choice of what I thing are the weakest of the "Classic" malts, and in my defence, I just had some Cragganmore at a Scottish friend's house which I enjoyed!:stuart:

I was just joshing, as you know. It's all a matter of taste. Amazing, though, how often the same malts come up in these lists of favourites. Are we simply the victims of good marketing, or do we actually know what we're drinking? I'm wondering how I'd cope at identifying the ones I listed in a blind tasting.

Laphroaig, Ardbeg and, for a nice blend, Black Bottle. Had a 21 yr old Benromach "aged in Tokaji barrels" a few years ago and it was fantastic, but very hard to get hold of now.

If we can divert on to the blended road...I've yet to find one smoother than Stewarts Cream of the Barley.

Yes, to the 'Is Highland Park from Orkney?' question.

Quite like Glenfiddich as well as those I mentioned before (HP and Paddy), but I'm definitely waaaay down the list of folk who know their whiskies...I just know what I like. Mind you, there's dozens mentioned on this thread that I have heard of but not yet tried.

Just not a big whisky fan...yet.

Radioactive Mince
me and sandy if we're having dsome drink macallan.

not tonight though. bad juju

Anti-semitic post IMO.

The following comment (or the previous one for that matter) has no place on this thread, but....I think whisky/ey is pure bowfin', man.

Mince

If we can divert on to the blended road...I've yet to find one smoother than Stewarts Cream of the Barley.

If it's a blend I like Baillie Nicol Jarvie.

Balvenie and Glenkinchie are my favourites although I will drink most Highland and Speyside malts. I find the Islay malts too peaty for my delicate palate and the same goes for Highland Park.Scapa is a nicer whisky IMO

Not a drinker, well almost, now but have had a few good days on Black Bush, a few good nights on Laphroaig and still have a medicinal bottle of Jameson, 3/4 of a bottle now.

portobellojambo1
Can't remember this being discussed, and I refuse to believe that there are not a lot of people on here who drink it...

So I would like like to know peoples best malt whiskey.

My favourites would have to be Macallan and Bunnahabhain, but I have been introduced recently to Scapa and have to say I love it.

What are other good whiskeys to try?

Sorry, cannot offer you any help, don't even like the smell of Whisky or Whiskey, never mind the taste of it.

Sorry, cannot offer you any help, don't even like the smell of Whisky or Whiskey, never mind the taste of it.

Traitor hang that man,clap him in irons:10900:

MOre for the Island malts myself

Jura, Laphroig, Ardbeg

DOnt like Highland Park though

Did however get a Glenfiddich 30 year old (for my 30 th) and loved that!

Glenmorangie and Macallan are for putting in coffee when the sniffles hits......

portobellojambo1
Hobo

Traitor I can accept, but that is going over the score. :smiley2:

There is just something about the smell of whisky which disagrees with my system. I don't mind one or two of the whisky liqueurs, such as Drambuie (absolutely wonderful if used in trifle as well, soak the sponge in Drambuie for two or three days and it is the business), but just something about Whisky I cannot stomach.

Vodka, now that is a completely different matter, I will happily sit and drink my way through copious amounts of that in a session.

i'm a big fan of monkey shoulder (a speyside triple malt). failing getting my hands on that there are a few other speyside malts that i favour

jambos are go!
Does Drambuie count hic!!

IMO yes but it gets you awfully drunk. My Uncle used to say you should stop drinking it when you cant say it anymore.

Archived