Well that`s it then, Give the English hooligans the trophy now...

Walter Bishop

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes and it will be relatively warmer there! :stuart:

Warmer than England in winter yes. Warmer to the extent that it makes a difference. NO

England are placed EXACTLY where they always have been since international football started and that is in the second tier of football nations

They may well over achieve and reach the semis or quarters, but you can guarantee this, just as you have been able to guarantee it since 1966 and will be able to guarantee it for many years hence, AS SOON AS THEY COME UP AGAINST A COUNTRY FROM THE TOP TIER (THATS THE TIER ABOVE THEM) THEY ARE OUT !!!!!

Thats the way it is, thats the way it will turn out. They know, we know it and every two years I have the privelege of watching major tournaments safe in the knowledge that one of the highlights of any major tournament, i.e. the day when they crash out in heartbreaking but predictable fashion, is just around the corner. Sometimes it happens in earlier rounds, sometimes it happens later. But as sure as night follows day, it happens and its a bloody joyful day in Alba when it does !!!!

Certainly, this may be what happens: you're dead right that it's the historical pattern. But it was also the historical pattern going back many decades for Spain prior to their Euro 2008 quarter-final with Italy. Taken to penalties, they were *this* close to the same old story; but came through, and were utterly liberated as a side.

Granted, we don't have players of their quality - but this time, we don't have a manager who'll screw up, and do seem to have a better, more humble mentality as a side than the celebrity culture which ran wild under Sven. At present, my hopes and targets remain the following:

1. Win a quarter-final.

2. Win a sodding penalty shoot-out for once!

It's inconceivable that a side like England will ever win a major trophy again without winning at least one shoot-out en route - so we'd better get practicing. Italy and Holland have had very similar problems to ourselves, and both got over it: Italy even won a World Cup Final by that method. It's up to us to emulate them and get over our psychological baggage at last.

None of the venues at the world cup are at altitude

Pretoria and Durban are among the venues, aren't they?

Pretoria is about 1,350 metres above sea level. Durban has suburbs rising to about 800 metres.

Durban is at the sea-side

Pretoria is borderline altitude I suppose 4000 odd feet. Hardly enough to make a difference

this_is_my_story
England are placed EXACTLY where they always have been since international football started and that is in the second tier of football nations

They may well over achieve and reach the semis or quarters, but you can guarantee this, just as you have been able to guarantee it since 1966 and will be able to guarantee it for many years hence, AS SOON AS THEY COME UP AGAINST A COUNTRY FROM THE TOP TIER (THATS THE TIER ABOVE THEM) THEY ARE OUT !!!!!

Thats the way it is, thats the way it will turn out. They know, we know it and every two years I have the privelege of watching major tournaments safe in the knowledge that one of the highlights of any major tournament, i.e. the day when they crash out in heartbreaking but predictable fashion, is just around the corner. Sometimes it happens in earlier rounds, sometimes it happens later. But as sure as night follows day, it happens and its a bloody joyful day in Alba when it does !!!!

I agree with much of what you say in your first couple of paragraphs. But, in your third (no offence!), you display a hobo-esque 'wee team' mentality when describing the joy you take from England's failures. It's a trait which is, in my opinion, applicable to the majority of Scottish fans, and in all honesty I find it to be a bit of an embarrassment.

Duran is on the coast isn't it, it certainly has beaches

OK - it's just that grim memories of a widely fancied England side's woeful performances at the 1995 Rugby World Cup sit heavy on my heart. I think we were based in Durban during the group stages, and really seemed to struggle (improving dramatically when we moved to Cape Town for the quarter-finals). Meanwhile, the effect of Pretoria on sides who weren't used to it was pretty clear.

Incidentally, a quick google reveals that we should factor Bloemfontein and especially Johannesburg into the equation too.

I agree with much of what you say in your first couple of paragraphs. But, in your third (no offence!), you display a hobo-esque 'wee team' mentality when describing the joy you take from England's failures. It's a trait which is, in my opinion, applicable to the majority of Scottish fans, and in all honesty I find it to be a bit of an embarrassment.

I assume you dont take any joy from Hibs not winning the cup since 1902 then. It cant just be me that finds that a constant source of amusement and even comfort sometimes ?

In sum, I don't think it's a good idea to go into a World Cup as favourites; it's rare for a team to win a World Cup away from their own continent (only Brazil have, twice)

Argentina won it in Mexico which according to Wikipedia is North America. It's as close as makes no difference though.

this_is_my_story
I assume you dont take any joy from Hibs not winning the cup since 1902 then. It cant just be me that finds that a constant source of amusement and even comfort sometimes ?

Awright then, you do have a point there I suppose!!! :10900:

Another fantastic performance tonight. What a difference a world class manager makes. We will fear nobody going to South Africa and rightly so. We can win the world cup and I believe we will make the semi finals at least with a fully fit squad.

Another fantastic performance tonight. What a difference a world class manager makes. We will fear nobody going to South Africa and rightly so. We can win the world cup and I believe we will make the semi finals at least with a fully fit squad.

I think so to. Semi-Finals at the very least, anything else would be considered a failure.

Spent a year in Englandshire and my immediate family are still there, enjoyed some good hearted banter especially after we'd thumped France in Paris. I simply said: 'Easy.' Everyone knew I didn't mean it but they let me have my moment.

Being in Lincolnshire and getting called 'duck' or is it 'dot' was slightly weird.:smiley2: Anyway, hope you enjoy South Africa.

(Expect the usual bollocks.....etc)

Mon the Oz.

No Hiddink means the Alf Stewart Bayside Diner Didn't Come Down In The Last Shower Flamin' Galah Shrimp On The Barbie Sheilaroos are now, thankfully, pish again. :smiley2:

Geoff Kilpatrick
No Hiddink means the Alf Stewart Bayside Diner Didn't Come Down In The Last Shower Flamin' Galah Shrimp On The Barbie Sheilaroos are now, thankfully, pish again. :smiley2:

Australia qualified easily through the Asian sections. I fancy them to reach the 2nd round.

Incidentally, a couple of my colleagues who are going over to SA to follow the Socceroos plan to support England after the Aussies get knocked out! :21:

Australia qualified easily through the Asian sections. I fancy them to reach the 2nd round.

Incidentally, a couple of my colleagues who are going over to SA to follow the Socceroos plan to support England after the Aussies get knocked out! :21:

Bizarre! And yup, Australia walked qualification, despite being total murder - which shows what a joke the Asian qualifying zone is. In an age of jet travel, I don't see why they can't do away with qualifying zones altogether: though the reason, of course, is Blatter. And money.

Moreover, Asia gets way too many places in the finals - and FIFA's own world rankings demonstrate how over-represented they and CONCACAF are. I think Australia will probably finish bottom of their group in South Africa; whereas four years ago, I had a nasty feeling they'd get past Uruguay, and correctly thought they'd make the last 16.

Captain America

England will make the semi finals next year IMO, if Glen Johnson can work on his defending a bit more they have a solid back line, and unlike previous managers Capello won't be afraid to make big decisions in big games which imo may have cost England in the past.

Now we are out ill will concentrate on giving my full backing to england! Not because of the united kingdom pish but because I watch the english league every week with the players and would rather them win than anyone else and for my english family! Fth

Just as I don't want Hibs to have any success whatsoever, the same applies to Scotland's derby rival in the World Cup. Here's to a very early flight back for England!

Anything to shut up the commentators about 1966....

Myth! They very rarely mention that. I knew an anti English thread would appear after Scotland being ****.

Private Hudson
Some of the venues are at altitude - but above 6000 feet? WTF? Above 6000 feet would make them like La Paz! Altitude will play a part, but not a huge one IMO - and like Argentina and Uruguay, most of Brazil is at sea level anyway.

Knew I wasn't going mental. Heights given in metres on link.

http://www.mediaclubsouthafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97:2010fastfacts&catid=39:2010bg#cities

Granted they're not as high as La Paz (about 10000 feet?) but certainly higher than most European countries will be used to playing at. Brazil will at least know what it feels like to play at that altitude against Bolivia etc. and how to adjust accordingly.

If it wasn't for the media I'd be right behind England. Their team consists of all the players I enjoy watching every week on the tv and as a team find them hard to hate!

The Old Tolbooth

I agree that the Asian countries get far too many places in the world cup, Europe I feel doesn't quite get enough and there's going to be some high quality teams watching it from their living rooms.

As for Englands chances, I would rate only Brazil, Holland, and possibly Spain above them right now, which in my mind means they have an outstanding chance of lifting the trophy, probably better than any other year since 1990.

They will fail big style down there, then blame the heat ! Maybe if they were not all ******s and atcually tried to play aboard rather than staying in thier comfront zones then they might even achieve something !

Argentine will still make it, Brazil are looking different class, then you have spain france ghana ad ivory coast then england as poor losers !

I agree that the Asian countries get far too many places in the world cup, Europe I feel doesn't quite get enough and there's going to be some high quality teams watching it from their living rooms.

As for Englands chances, I would rate only Brazil, Holland, and possibly Spain above them right now, which in my mind means they have an outstanding chance of lifting the trophy, probably better than any other year since 1990.

At the game yesterday and was very unimpressed with them. They have about 6 world class players but they are compete for the same places and can't play in the same team, i give you snejier and van der vart as a example.

Guest Dipped Flake
They will fail big style down there, then blame the heat ! Maybe if they were not all ******s and atcually tried to play aboard rather than staying in thier comfront zones then they might even achieve something !

Argentine will still make it, Brazil are looking different class, then you have spain france ghana ad ivory coast then england as poor losers !

It's the middle of winter in S Africa when the World cup is played so doubt the heat will be a big issue. england must be one of the favourites for the cup the way they are playing but I hope they don't. Would love to see Spain do the double of Euro and World champions

It's the middle of winter in S Africa when the World cup is played so doubt the heat will be a big issue. england must be one of the favourites for the cup the way they are playing but I hope they don't. Would love to see Spain do the double of Euro and World champions

Still won't stop the so-called pudits using it as a excuse when they get booted out !

The Old Tolbooth
At the game yesterday and was very unimpressed with them. They have about 6 world class players but they are compete for the same places and can't play in the same team, i give you snejier and van der vart as a example.

To be honest mate I don't think Holland were really trying too hard last night, whereas Scotland were busting a gut to get something from the game, kinda worrying!

I think you'll see Holland in a completely different light in a competitive world cup fixture.

And every tournament, I get to sit back and watch some fantastic football with great players playing at thebest of their game.....and not a 40-year-old virgin Tartan Army ****** in sight!

THAT'S joy.

I was actually quite pleased for England last night. No idea why. Still, from what I saw, it looked like a very poor Croatia team and their group in general is pretty weak. They can definitely win it but so can four or five other teams. The gaps in international football are closing all the time, particularly at the top.

As predictable as Scotland falling tragically short in qualification was the emergence of people discussing whether wanting England to lose is acceptable.

There really only is one simple answer to this

Wayne Rooney!

Yes that's right.

Even if you bear no ill will to any of the other 49,999,999 people in England, even if you listen to Elgar while driving home from your Morris Dancing class at the weekend, even if you alternate your holidays between boating on the Norfolk broads and hiking on Dartmoor, even if you prefer Stilton to Roquefort then the very idea of Wayne bloody Rooney getting anywhere near the games ultimate prize should inspire nausea.

Thanks to Wayne Rooney there's no need for fair minded and reasonable scots to put themselves through the soul searching process of analysing, contextualising and justifying their dislike of the English Football team.

And if they play Beckham as well...

Name a good Brazilian goalie apart from Dida?

Felix, albeit the opposition couldn't get close enough in 1970 to force him ino a save. :10900:

Anyone bar England. I will always behave thus. It is maybe to many small minded, petty, vindictive but, I dont care. I dont want them as a football team to win any tournament.

John

It is maybe small minded, petty, vindictive but, I dont care.

John

Spot on for once John.

Therapist

Felix, albeit the opposition couldn't get close enough in 1970 to force him ino a save. :10900:

He made some right howlers.Lucky for him that that team didn't need a goalie.:2thumbsup:

I wouldnt mind them winning the tournament, seriously no problems with Englands National Team. Play good football, great players and they have a world class manager.

I say good players, Glen Johnson,SWP, Walcott and Defo and more

Then lets move on to the bad side, divers. Rooney and Gerrard. Which Ive noted before but if they win the World Cup and these 2 idiots start theyre diving I will be raging, but I expect it.

Also now they are being biged up major in Englkand Motson and the wannabe English man Alan Judas Hansen will start kissing theyre a***es again. And the Holligans will come out in force and the typical noise will start over and over and over 1966 again.

England as a football team I want them to win it, as a Nation, Not a chance.

I'll be supporting them or Spain this year. I just don't feel this supposed rivalry. When we are so inferior how can you honestly call it a rivalry and get worked up about it.

Kind of like us and Hibs then? ;-)

I like watching England in major tournaments - I don't understand when football fans incessantly watch Sky Premiership games but when the home-born players come together for England, the hatred switch is turned on?!

If there was genuine contempt for them, the Premiership would receive no viewers north of the border (apart from those who also support Holland)

Archived