Well that`s it then, Give the English hooligans the trophy now...

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Commentator has just stated, that because Argentina,France and Portugal`s places are in jeopardy and that South Africa world cup is in their "winter time" its a done deal!!!!

Emmmm what about Brazil,Holland,Spain,and Italy you feckin Plum!!!!!

They should be banned from going anyway dirty hooligan bassa`s!!!!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fear not.....they always get a nose bleed when they reach the top end of tournaments.

They get a mental image of the open-topped bus going through Trafalgar Square and when they're daydreaming, the other lot score.

Commentator has just stated, that because Argentina,France and Portugal`s places are in jeopardy and that South Africa world cup is in their "winter time" its a done deal!!!!

south africa's winter time isn't exactly 'a bit parky'. god knows what the boy was on about.

Christ but Scotland is a parochial little nation.

Spot on Taz, and this thread is a classic example.

Being 20 years old, I will be most surprised if I ever see England winning a World Cup/European Championship in my lifetime. They just seem to bottle it everytime. Its something I look forward to whenever England make to a major championship. Hate them and their media.

Being 20 years old, I will be most surprised if I ever see England winning a World Cup/European Championship in my lifetime. They just seem to bottle it everytime. Its something I look forward to whenever England make to a major championship. Hate them and their media.

Like their team, hate their media.

I don't think anyone on here would deny that England have a good squad of players (slight weakness in GK department) and also have a very good manager.

However, I may be wrong but whenever a WC is in the S Hemisphere normally a team from that half wins it. England have a chance, but it's about 10 months away and a lot can happen.

I am more concerned about the future of our own team than worrying about a competition that we won't be at. If football is the 'National' game, then we need a serious rethink. If that means Govt involvement, then so be it.

kingantti1874
Spot on Taz, and this thread is a classic example.

It's a friendly sporting rivalry man...give it a rest...Nobody gives a ****

Queue...bla bla bla I trust this enhances your jkb experience

what a wum

pains me to say, but England looked more than decent tonight, for the parts that I did watch. Aaron Lennon and that Johnson geezer look good.

The saving grace is that they don't really have a 'class' goalie.

Might no be so bad that Motty has stepped down. He really got on my tits commentating on England games. The lad that did ITV's commentary (Peter Drury?) is quality. He doesn't rub it in your non-English face Collymore-esque.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'll be supporting them or Spain this year. I just don't feel this supposed rivalry. When we are so inferior how can you honestly call it a rivalry and get worked up about it.

They are not far away from being contenders. I think only Brazil and Spain are better than them just now.

Agreed.

"Who can beat Cappello's England?!" **** off Tyldesley, you cringeworthy ****. Him and his mates are the reason hardly anyone outside England likes them.

pains me to say, but England looked more than decent tonight, for the parts that I did watch. Aaron Lennon and that Johnson geezer look good.

The saving grace is that they don't really have a 'class' goalie.

Might no be so bad that Motty has stepped down. He really got on my tits commentating on England games. The lad that did ITV's commentary (Peter Drury?) is quality. He doesn't rub it in your non-English face Collymore-esque.

Name a good Brazilian goalie apart from Dida?

The Old Tolbooth

I think someone needs to get a grip, I don't want England to win the world cup as much as the next Scot, but at the end of the day I'm not stupid enough to think they don't have a fantastic chance of winning the damn thing next year.

If Scotland were in the same position would you be telling us all to calm down and stop being over hyped? I don't think so.

anger-management.jpg

The current one is in the top 3 in the world.

Agreed.

"Who can beat Cappello's England?!" **** off Tyldesley, you cringeworthy ****. Him and his mates are the reason hardly anyone outside England likes them.

Do you or the OP find Tyldesley equally cringeworthy when he does the exact same thing whenever he covers Manchester United? I think he's an embarrassment too - but he only does it to provoke. You and the OP appear to have risen to his bait.

It's a friendly sporting rivalry man......Nobody gives a ****

Yes, that's blindingly obvious from many of the posts in this thread. :th_o:

ToadKiller Dog

Its a good current England side ,but they are no Brazil by any stretch of the imagination .

England will do ok in the WC i expect a last 8 for them ,Still dont think they are clever enough to get past the Italy,Germans or Brazils when it gets to that stages .

Like in club football i can see the big nations pull miles away from the rest of us .

Geoff Kilpatrick

England to reach the semi finals. They look good but I think Spain and Brazil will be the finalists.

south africa's winter time isn't exactly 'a bit parky'. god knows what the boy was on about.

South Africa is very cold in winter. And when you get past abouy 5PM its very cold. I would expect to see alot of long sleeves and gloves this world cup!

And I will be supporting England, aside from the fact that im not bitter. A certain girl from leeds wouldnt take to kindly to me slaging them off till next summer :laugh:

They are not far away from being contenders. I think only Brazil and Spain are better than them just now.

I agree. Trouble is, the World Cup's being played next summer - and is in another continent.

Entirely unofficial and essentially pointless world rankings according to, er, me:

1. Brazil

2. Spain

3. England

4. Holland

5. Italy

6. Argentina

7. Germany

8. Russia

9. France

10. Portugal

NB. These rankings are based in part on a side's potential. If Argentina, France or Portugal qualify, you can't rule them out, however much they're struggling at the moment; so I have them above other currently more consistent teams whose ceiling of potential is considerably lower.

I reckon an African team will do well this year. Ivory Coast has some outstanding players. Drogba, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure, Kalou, Eboue, Keita and to add a bit of flair - Sol Bamba.

I reckon an African team will do well this year. Ivory Coast has some outstanding players. Drogba, Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure, Kalou, Eboue, Keita and to add a bit of flair - Sol Bamba.

I really hope they do, especially the Ivorians, who are brilliant to watch. An African side will make the semis next year, I'm sure of it.

:laugh:

Bravo!

I hope England win it, and will be supporting them all the way.

One of the benefits of an English father is two International teams. In some ways, I prefer England, their FA is largely fair and even handed for a start.

I also think that getting rid of Burley now would be very short sighted and a huge mistake. There is no point appointing an international manager for one campaign at a time. Even Vogts got more than that and anyone advocating Souness really needs to have a word.

I'll rephrase it, name a great Brazilian world cup winning goalie.

Taffarel was pretty decent. So was Marcos in 2002. And he's right: Julio Cesar is right up there with Casillas and Buffon.

What people forget is that the form teams in the months leading up to a World Cup very rarely win it. In fact the form teams in the first couple of weeks of a world cup very rarely win it.

Come the business end of the tournament, you'll probably find the usual suspects (i.e. Italy, Brazil, Germany, Argentina) coming good.

Taffarel was pretty decent. So was Marcos in 2002. And he's right: Julio Cesar is right up there with Casillas and Buffon.

Didn't Taffarel end up playing amateur football in Italy a year or so after the World Cup? As a midfielder?

What people forget is that the form teams in the months leading up to a World Cup very rarely win it. In fact the form teams in the first couple of weeks of a world cup very rarely win it.

Come the business end of the tournament, you'll probably find the usual suspects (i.e. Italy, Brazil, Germany, Argentina) coming good.

I agree in part. Three years ago, Brazil were widely fancied (not by me, mind!), but Italy were superb in the warm-up games, winning 3-1 in Amsterdam and 4-1 at home to Germany. Seven years ago, France and Argentina were co-favourites and both bombed out; but Brazil, having scrambled through qualification, got better and better over the next nine months, and had a soft draw... causing me to tip them.

France were always in with a shout for '98 given they were at home, albeit Brazil were favourites - and well, we know what happened with Ronaldo before the final; in '94, Brazil were probably favourites, and did the business at last; and in '90, Brazil and Holland were overhyped despite both struggling during the warm-up games, whereas West Germany, very good and very reliable, were strangely overlooked. I agree totally about '82 and '86 though: Italy and Argentina respectively were atrocious in all games except when catching lightning in a bottle during the finals.

In sum, I don't think it's a good idea to go into a World Cup as favourites; it's rare for a team to win a World Cup away from their own continent (only Brazil have, twice); and starting slowly often works, but only if you have the pedigree as a nation to believe you should be winning the event. England have a certain degree of pedigree (ie. last eight), but we struggle to believe we can really beat the elite teams (hence, we draw with them... and lose on penalties).

Let's see who out of the currently struggling pedigree teams go through; how the draw goes (being seeded is crucial, and if all the big teams make it, someone out of England, Holland and France won't be IMO); and who is looking good before the event gets underway. Because it's not about being on song nine months beforehand - it's just about who the best side in the world is for four and a half weeks next summer.

Didn't Taffarel end up playing amateur football in Italy a year or so after the World Cup? As a midfielder?

He looked good in '94 to me! And I don't really want to remind you of his miracle save from Mo Johnston in Genoa either...

Private Hudson

I may be wrong but I think most of the stadia in South Africa are at altitudes above 6000 feet so that'll make Brazil strong favourites.

I may be wrong but I think most of the stadia in South Africa are at altitudes above 6000 feet so that'll make Brazil strong favourites.

Some of the venues are at altitude - but above 6000 feet? WTF? Above 6000 feet would make them like La Paz! Altitude will play a part, but not a huge one IMO - and like Argentina and Uruguay, most of Brazil is at sea level anyway.

They are getting carried away as always and will be brought down with bump.............mark my words.

Plus, you write the Germans off at your peril !

Re the WC location. Did you see of any of the Confederation Cup games?......subbys sitting on the bench with the full Dunlop man winter jackets on !!

The African 'tag' is giving folk the wrong impression about the climate and word is it will suit the northern European teams to a tee

They are getting carried away as always and will be brought down with bump.............mark my words.

Plus, you write the Germans off at your peril !

Re the WC location. Did you see of any of the Confederation Cup games?......subbys sitting on the bench with the full Dunlop man winter jackets on !!

The African 'tag' is giving folk the wrong impression about the climate and word is it will suit the northern European teams to a tee

You do. But I don't rate them at all at present - so:

OFF THE GERMANS

As for it suiting northern European sides: I agree. And England are likely to go into the event as the strongest side from northern Europe (but not the strongest from the whole of Europe).

Private Hudson
Some of the venues are at altitude - but above 6000 feet? WTF? Above 6000 feet would make them like La Paz! Altitude will play a part, but not a huge one IMO - and like Argentina and Uruguay, most of Brazil is at sea level anyway.

Was debating that even as I was writing it! Think it's more like 1000 feet which probably makes not so much diference.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Was debating that even as I was writing it! Think it's more like 1000 feet which probably makes not so much diference.

A lot of the venues will be at altitude so that will make things pretty chilly. Brazil will be looking to play in Cape Town as much as possible!

I must say though that some people's xenophobia on this thread is embarrassing. At least we know now how the UK will recover from recession - people buying football tops of England's opponents!

South Africa is very cold in winter. And when you get past abouy 5PM its very cold. I would expect to see alot of long sleeves and gloves this world cup!

And I will be supporting England, aside from the fact that im not bitter. A certain girl from leeds wouldnt take to kindly to me slaging them off till next summer :laugh:

I wouldent say it's very cold - Their temp's are close to our summer temp's. Your right about past 5pm tho - freeze yer knackers off.

England are placed EXACTLY where they always have been since international football started and that is in the second tier of football nations

They may well over achieve and reach the semis or quarters, but you can guarantee this, just as you have been able to guarantee it since 1966 and will be able to guarantee it for many years hence, AS SOON AS THEY COME UP AGAINST A COUNTRY FROM THE TOP TIER (THATS THE TIER ABOVE THEM) THEY ARE OUT !!!!!

Thats the way it is, thats the way it will turn out. They know, we know it and every two years I have the privelege of watching major tournaments safe in the knowledge that one of the highlights of any major tournament, i.e. the day when they crash out in heartbreaking but predictable fashion, is just around the corner. Sometimes it happens in earlier rounds, sometimes it happens later. But as sure as night follows day, it happens and its a bloody joyful day in Alba when it does !!!!

A lot of the venues will be at altitude so that will make things pretty chilly. Brazil will be looking to play in Cape Town as much as possible!

Cape Town isnt at altitude. Its got the bloody sea right next to it !!!

Geoff Kilpatrick
Cape Town isnt at altitude. Its got the bloody sea right next to it !!!

Yes and it will be relatively warmer there! :stuart:

Archived