Vacancy For Right Back....(merged threads)

Chad Sexington

Superb performance. He defended well but he'll give us a lot going forward as well. We also might finally have someone who can deliver a good set piece too.

Can't fault him at all and it's great to watch a young guy come into the team and immediately look like he belongs.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrific debut performance.

Early days but I can see him moving further forward in due course as he attacks and delivers so well and as the only draw back I can see him have if he was ever considered by top class English sides is his height. Of course there are exceptions but they don't tend to do small full backs down south nowadays due to defending the back stick from crosses.

I couldn't help but chuckle that his delivery with his LEFT peg was better than Robbies with his right !

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Terrific debut performance.

Early days but I can see him moving further forward in due course as he attacks and delivers so well and as the only draw back I can see him have if he was ever considered by top class English sides is his height. Of course there are exceptions but they don't tend to do small full backs down south nowadays due to defending the back stick from crosses.

I couldn't help but chuckle that his delivery with his LEFT peg was better than Robbies with his right !

The thing is he is so strong in the tackle that you wouldn't want to waste that in midfield. Attacking full backs are a big part of the game these days so I hope he stays where he is but I can totally see what you are saying.

Ashley Cole is pretty small and in the same mould as Thomson.

Thought Craig had a great game. Looked very sure, was confident going forward and his crossing was spot on.

I can't understand Csaba's reluctance to play the young lads. The reality is that we are not getting anyone else in so as Csaba keeps saying "we work with what we have" well Csaba son let's do that! :2thumbsup: We have some talented and highly rated young players and we've little to lose by letting them get a shot.

Hopefully Craig will get a run and ideally Eggy will get his shot in midfield which is where he shines more.

Homourable mention to Gordon Smith too...what a night to make your debut!

I was speaking to Craig's dad and grandad before the game tonight.

Both were chuffed to bits that he was making a start.

His dad said he wasn't acting out of character last night when he knew he was playing.

Was taking it in his stride

Old cliche - youngters have no fear.

I thought he played very well tonight.

He didn't hide, he didn't panic, got up to support Suso when he could, and in the second half put in a great sliding tackle when it looked as if the Dinamo player was just about getting away from him and into a dangerous position.

Also noticeable the amount of set pieces he was taking as well.

Fine game Thommo.

The thing is he is so strong in the tackle that you wouldn't want to waste that in midfield. Attacking full backs are a big part of the game these days so I hope he stays where he is but I can totally see what you are saying.

Ashley Cole is pretty small and in the same mould as Thomson.

Good points and he never struggled with the physicallity tonight in fact he relished the step up. Hopefully he will recover from the cramp and sore legs for Sunday because we need him in the side but it will be a big ask of his fitness and concentration levels after the massive high for him tonight.

The most impressive thing was his confidence to take the ball and responsibility.

Different gravy.

What a difference to have someone who can whip in a good ball from a set piece.

If he doesn't get given a run in the team it is a disgrace.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Good points and he never struggled with the physicallity tonight in fact he relished the step up. Hopefully he will recover from the cramp and sore legs for Sunday because we need him in the side but it will be a big ask of his fitness and concentration levels after the massive high for him tonight.

The most impressive thing was his confidence to take the ball and responsibility.

I've seen him before so knew what he was all about but was surprised with how he took the whole thing in his stride. A debut in the SPL is one thing but to play so well against guys who are rated at 15 million quid is just unbelievable. He's going to have his bad games as well obviously but we have the next big thing on our hands. I just hope he goes the Gary Naismith way rather than the Paul McMullan way!

It will be a great boost to all the young lads as well hopefully. They will have been watching their mate tonight thinking 'I can do that as well'.

Charlie-Brown
Young lad was brilliant :2thumbsup:

What age is he?

He's still only 18

I've seen him before so knew what he was all about but was surprised with how he took the whole thing in his stride. A debut in the SPL is one thing but to play so well against guys who are rated at 15 million quid is just unbelievable. He's going to have his bad games as well obviously but we have the next big thing on our hands. I just hope he goes the Gary Naismith way rather than the Paul McMullan way!

It will be a great boost to all the young lads as well hopefully. They will have been watching their mate tonight thinking 'I can do that as well'.

Seems to be quite a level headed young guy and not thick like some fitba players can be ........ I don't have any doubts about his abilities - Premiership scouts were following him & Robinson's performances in the youth team games last season.

jamboinglasgow
The best thing is that his performance wasnt a bolt from the blue - some good scouting work from yourself and JamboinGlasgow!!!!!

I look forward to you both identifying our 20-goal a season striker now.

no probs but anyone who watched the U19s or reserves last season would easily tell that we have a cracking prospect on our hands. He is just doing what he did in those teams most of last season. He also has a great attitude and this was shown today. I was pleased watching him today looking confident, looking good both defensivly and going forward (as someone said the two things we have been lacking in RBs who have been good at one or other.) His confidence will be going through the roof and I think he deserves to start against St Johnstone on sunday.

The great thing though is that though Craig is one of our best prospects at the club, he isn't the only one. Hopefully this demonstrates to Csaba that it is worth taking the chance with more of the youngsters.

signed, jambokickbacks no.3 youth scout (behind FF and Charlie):10900:

Footballfirst
signed, jambokickbacks no.3 youth scout (behind FF and Charlie):10900:

Methinks Charlie is certainly No 1 scout. The first mention of Craig was by Charlie in Apr-08 in a short thread about Shaun Kelly

Certainly Kelly looks a decent player with the ball at his feet and doesn't flap or pass as poorly as Neilson does - whether he can progress will depend how the coaches rate J.Thomson, S.Kelly, J.Brown and young Craig Thomson of the U17's for the right back position.

I didn't give him a mention before July-08.

Thig Ar Latha
..Sorry the position has been filled. :smiley2:

The young lad Thomson was superb.

He has to be the first choice RB at the club from tonight.

His set pieces were pretty decent as well. :2thumbsup:

Have to agree, and what a turn of pace he has!

There was me, thought he miss controlled the ball with his right peg 1st half, but no , just brought it down and hit a great ball with his left, a footballer at right back surely this cannot be allowed, Walter Kidd will be understandable next.

gorgieshuffle

Absolutley outstanding for a debutant. Free kicks and corners our biggest threat. For any neilson lovers - this boy has more natural football ability than RN ever had. well played lad

Charlie-Brown
Methinks Charlie is certainly No 1 scout. The first mention of Craig was by Charlie in Apr-08 in a short thread about Shaun Kelly

I didn't give him a mention before July-08.

He's certainly come on leaps & bounds last season and the start of this one - Johnny Brown who is a year older and a good prospect himself and a Scotland regular was ahead of Thomson in the pecking order but has now been overtaken - Brown can also play left back and that's probably his best chance of getting some first team action.

Spoke to his faither Davie on the way out tonight and he was as proud as punch

and so he should be,one of the best debut performances in my lifetime.

The lad had a fantastic game.

Oopsupsideyerheed

I was told tonight that he has been at the club since he was 9/10 years old...................so we do have scouts in the front line, good to hear!! I see a few guys with Hearts jackets on at BC games but am never sure if they are just supporters or not?

Maroon Mayhem

Was really impressed by;

The way he got up the wing to support Suso.

His pinged cross-field balls to Obua (with both feet)

His set pieces.

You know you're onto something when he's the first choice to whip the ball in and players like Stewart just leave him to it.

excellent.

Hopefully, he'll get a run now while Eggert is out and people will be patient whne he makes the mistakes yougsters do.

I've heard and read a lot about this boy and I was massively impressed with what I saw.

If he keeps on improving, we've got a find here.

That was the most balanced, I've seen the back four so far this season. Hard to work out what to do if everyone is fit now......

One of the striker spots should have been filled for a run of games also....

It was nonsense our youth players have been bombed out as much in the last 9 months or so.

The concern is that Csaba's stubborness sees Jonnson walk back into the team no matter how well Thomson does over the next 8 weeks

That is a worry. I said earlier that if VR had not forced his hand he would rather imo have 'fitted' one of his regulars into the right back slot and left Thomson warming the bench (and warming it for the season as Templeton did last year)

On Thomson, excellent performance, first time in 6-7yrs i have seen a right back in a Hearts strip. His balls into the box are also something we have been missing for years.

If you are good enough, you are old enough.

An absolute revelation, RB is his without a doubt.

(would be good to see Husband get a run out also)

Francis Albert

Surprised by one or two comments that his delivery was only "decent". Thought it made a big difference to have someone who can deliver a really good ball from free kicks and corners, something we've been missing since Hartley at his prime.

I was speaking to Craig's dad and grandad before the game tonight.

Both were chuffed to bits that he was making a start.

His dad said he wasn't acting out of character last night when he knew he was playing.

Was taking it in his stride

Old cliche - youngters have no fear.

I thought he played very well tonight.

He didn't hide, he didn't panic, got up to support Suso when he could, and in the second half put in a great sliding tackle when it looked as if the Dinamo player was just about getting away from him and into a dangerous position.

Also noticeable the amount of set pieces he was taking as well.

Fine game Thommo.

His dad is a dirty hibby though.

As for the lad he was excellent last night. He showed us what it is like when somebody can cross a dead ball. He must be given a run.

P03-04-09_1504.jpg

:10900:

The only thing worrying me is WHY Csaba has 'protected' a player like him for so long ?..............and what other gems we may have gathering dust at Riccarton

Cut The Crap

Very impressive. Looks a proper right back (in much the same way that Eggert looks a proper central midfielder).

I often wonder why managers seem intent on making life difficult for themselves? :smoking:

Very impressive. Looks a proper right back (in much the same way that Eggert looks a proper central midfielder).

I often wonder why managers seem intent on making life difficult for themselves? :smoking:

Under the right circumstances :stuart: Eggert's conversion to RB would however make sense. The result being that you have a RB who is comfortable on the ball and who can add a new dimension when going forward. Lee Wallace is exactly that himself, if others on KB are to be believed, as his natural position was in left midfield as a youth player but he has become a FB ?

Agreed though, forcing changes through necessity is one thing but behaviour bordering on the stubborn is something else

Csaba ..........GTF :10900:

Cut The Crap
Under the right circumstances :stuart: Eggert's conversion to RB would however make sense. The result being that you have a RB who is comfortable on the ball and who can add a new dimension when going forward. Lee Wallace is exactly that himself, if others on KB are to be believed, as his natural position was in left midfield as a youth player but he has become a FB ?

Agreed though, forcing changes through necessity is one thing but behaviour bordering on the stubborn is something else

Csaba ..........GTF :10900:

Makes sense, but that sort of development should be done at youth level, not in the first-team.

Footballfirst
The only thing worrying me is WHY Csaba has 'protected' a player like him for so long ?..............and what other gems we may have gathering dust at Riccarton

I think that Csaba is generally too conservative for his own good. It is all very well waiting for youngsters to mature, but if you don't take risks you may never know how good some of the youngsters can be.

I would guess that his hand was forced by Romanov to give Temps and Novikovas their debuts at the end of last season and CT last night. I have a lot of hopes for Novikovas, but he needs to be given a start in his favoured position to see his true potential, rather than playing 10-15mins out of position when chasing a game.

We probably missed out on a gem not giving Matej Rapnik a chance at 1st team level before he decided to leave for home in Jan. He should have been a stick-on to replace Berra.

It is also astonishing that Ryan McGowan has not been given a chance to date. Others to watch are Scott Robinson, Jamie Walker and Jason Holt. Unfortunately none of the three are physically big but as CT showed last night lack of stature needn't be a showstopper.

We have good defensive cover in the reserves/U19s from Ridgers, Brown the two McGowans, Balatoni and Park, while Johnny Stewart and Husband have great potential in midfield.

Overall, I believe that the academy is producing the goods. However, we need a manager who is not afraid to give these guys a chance to prove themselves at senior level.

Bee watching Thommo for som time now with the U19s and reserves, he is very commanding in those games, always talking, was in section N right down the front and at one stage he was barking instructions to mikey stewart and andy driver, quality player

See signature lol had that for last few weeks

The lad had a great debut and it may or may not be coincidence that Suso played better as well with a bit more forceful support behind him to give him options.

What did CT do that was truly exceptional? Well not that much really which was probably the key. He sensibly did not try world cup passes or try to show off. He kept it tight and simple but did show a natural gift for getting forward, pinging in crosses and corners, has TWO good feet and is composed for a young lad. His marking and tackling were also good and he has plenty of commitment. I also saw him heed what Bouzid and Zal were saying to him re his marking position when play was on the other side of the pitch.

This lad has a bright future and I would "drop" him for a week or two when Eggy comes back because at that stage of his career he will need time to draw breath and reflect before going forward even stronger.

Charlie-Brown

We have to find a way to keep Johnny Brown motivated & that he too see's an opportunity for first team football ..... it's sods law that we have a gash right back for so long and our 2 best prospects in this position in a long time both come along together - Brown can play left back as well so that should help him a bit but he still has Wallace & Goncalves blocking his path as well as Matty Park & Mikey Deland competing for a chance of promotion to the first team squad.

'protecting' players is all very well, but picking players out of position ahead of them when they could step in should not be done and is detrimental to their development. you have to wonder if the likes of Driver or Wallace would have been chucked into the team by Csaba if they were making their breakthrough now.

Some will be good, some will be rubbish, but you don't find out without giving them a shot.

how tall is craig?

as he looked a fair bit shorter than the rest of the defence. Is it that zal and bouzid are just giants or what?

He's the best right back I've seen since Cafu.

Sorry, getting a bit carried away.

that's ALan Hutton you're thinking of.

He's the best right back I've seen since Cafu.

Sorry, getting a bit carried away.

that's ALan Hutton you're thinking of.

yeah craig is more in the mould of dani alves i believe

jamboinglasgow
I think that Csaba is generally too conservative for his own good. It is all very well waiting for youngsters to mature, but if you don't take risks you may never know how good some of the youngsters can be.

I would guess that his hand was forced by Romanov to give Temps and Novikovas their debuts at the end of last season and CT last night. I have a lot of hopes for Novikovas, but he needs to be given a start in his favoured position to see his true potential, rather than playing 10-15mins out of position when chasing a game.

We probably missed out on a gem not giving Matej Rapnik a chance at 1st team level before he decided to leave for home in Jan. He should have been a stick-on to replace Berra.

It is also astonishing that Ryan McGowan has not been given a chance to date. Others to watch are Scott Robinson, Jamie Walker and Jason Holt. Unfortunately none of the three are physically big but as CT showed last night lack of stature needn't be a showstopper.

We have good defensive cover in the reserves/U19s from Ridgers, Brown the two McGowans, Balatoni and Park, while Johnny Stewart and Husband have great potential in midfield.

Overall, I believe that the academy is producing the goods. However, we need a manager who is not afraid to give these guys a chance to prove themselves at senior level.

I would agree with you that the biggest prospects in the U19s at the moment are Pom, Jamie and Jason. But that doesn't mean the rest aren't looking great as well. As you say the two McGowans should be a great defensivly pairing at the back (they played together a few times last season in the reserves and looked good) with Balatoni another one who leads well from back and is a great looking defender.

I do feel sorry for Johnny Brown. When I first saw him I thought he was going to be the great right back we were needing. Than Craig Thomson came along. As Charlie says he is stuck on either side of pitch with players who are either better than him at the moment or tough competition. I think Johnny will be a cracking full back who will be valuable as he can play both sides. I can imagine this time next season we will lose both Lee Wallace and Jose Goncalves from end of contract and being sold. It means that unless we sell someone Brown, Park and (the now too old for U19s) Delands will all be in competition for left back.

I thought Thomson was outstanding last night and looked sensible and level headed and not out of place in the first team at all....well done lad keep it up

Footballfirst
He is a decent young player, if we have more of them then we dont need new players!!

Feel free to go along to Riccarton on Saturday morning to watch the U19s play Rangers. You might spot our next star of the future.

The People's Chimp
He does play like that every game - he only knows how to play one way & that's totally commited & bombing forward - his set-pieces have always been good - also scored a number of free kicks & penalties last season - the kids got a very good shot - scored 9 goals in the U19 league last season from right back plus he also scored in friendlies & the reserves - think he was 2nd top youth scorer after Cowan.

I'm really excited about CT. His delivery looks fantastic as well; something we've really been lacking.

First choice RB.

He played amazing last night and if he plays like that normally then he should always be in the team. My man of the match well done Craig

WeeToonJambo

Those of us who have watched the under 19s and reserves over the past couple of seasons wouldn't have been surprised by Craig's performance last night. His passing is superb, as are his crosses, and wait until he gets the chance to take a free kick about 20 yards from goal!!

The great thing is, there are others equally promising.

Victor Mancini

excellent deliverys and didn't look out of place against a good team,

hopefully he plays against st farmers at the weekend

tolcross lad

I have seen him once before last night and could not believe that he has not been included before last night.,He tied up his area of the pitch.In the context of the manager it does raise the issue of why he has not been given a chance

Archived