John White (ask your dad)

Jim Jeffries

Billy Brown

Kenny Miller

Colin Nish

David Graham (Dunf Wigan & Torquay)

Gary Wood (Ross County Cowdenbeath)

plus a few more that will come to me

Kevin Smith (Leed Utd, Sunderland and now Dundee Utd I think)

Kris Renton (Norwich)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• N Lincs Jambo

• hughesie27

• Tazio

• 8 years later...
Maroon Sailor
On 24/08/2009 at 14:23, Chaka Demus & pliers said:

Another to add to the Forries list is Ryan Harding. Ex-Hibs (but good Jambo) and now at Morton

Dave Smith (ex Whitehill Welfare manager) might have went to Forries. I grew up next to him and that was before the WHEC was built. He was on the books of Dunfermline at the time.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yeah. He was at Forrester High.

Cheers - he lived in Murrayburn so it was either Forresters or Tynecastle in those days

Edited by Maroon Sailor

chester copperpot
On 24/08/2009 at 20:08, vlad on the tyne said:

I stand corrected!

I was in Donnys year at Porty but can't remember seeing jackie kicking about dont think he is much oolder than moi.

yet more porty

Justin Cameron (wimbeldon and ayr utd)

Kev Donnelly (berwick I think, then bathgate)

Arron Cummings (Stenny)

Just getting around to answering this, 8yrs later.

All 3 McNamaras went to Porty.

Donnie was the youngest, Jackie the middle and Stevie the eldest. 

Darren Cameron played for Wolves as  well. He was in the year above me and Justins big brother 

Edited by chester copperpot

8 year old thread bump. Strange!

Since 2009 we can now add Jamie Walker from the Forries Academy of professional footballing.

Obviously all down to Mr Wilson. Not the psycho one.

Edited by hughesie27

10 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I played in the same Carrick Knowe primary school team, then Forrester High team as Arthur before he went to Man U straight from school.

Some trivia. He was originally a left winger, then he played as a sweeper, before he became a left back. 

Tom Hendrie was in the year above me and Terry Christie was my Chemistry Teacher. 

Who did AA support?

On 22/08/2009 at 19:12, Dave de le Noir said:

Craigmount produced Michael Stewart.

I'd like to apologise on behalf of the school.

Coronation Street’s Reg Holdsworth also use to teach there.  

Samuel Camazzola
On 24/08/2009 at 20:08, vlad on the tyne said:

I stand corrected!

I was in Donnys year at Porty but can't remember seeing jackie kicking about dont think he is much oolder than moi.

yet more porty

Justin Cameron (wimbeldon and ayr utd)

Kev Donnelly (berwick I think, then bathgate)

Arron Cummings (Stenny)

Aaron was a good player and if he had the commitment, could have played at a higher level. 

chester copperpot
52 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Aaron was a good player and if he had the commitment, could have played at a higher level. 

There was a guy called Mark Fraser who was Rangers youth team captain and had the football world at his feet.

Sadly drank every bus journey from Glasgow to Edinburgh every day after training and pissed his football career away.

Shame as he was a great player and one of the best I ever played with

Blackford Hearts
On 23/08/2009 at 11:51, vlad on the tyne said:

His brother Donny did, Jackie didn't.

More from Porty...

Charlie King ex St Johnstone now at Brechin

Marc Mculloch ex St Johnstone & Arbroath now playing in Ireland

Scott Bannerman ex Hibs & Morton

Paul Kane (spit)

Paul Kane was Holy Rood as I think was Darren Jackson. Played with Paul at Salvy. Nice guy but not a great fan of Hearts!!!

Westwater was Hearts and either Holyrood or Porty, he was at Parsy. In fact most of that Parsy / Porty team played professionally at some point, Greg Alexander went to Hearts not sure if he played or got injured before he played. 

Seems the net is closing in on anonymity of JKB. Definitely some who I recognise must have been at Porty with me....

Watson’s boy David Johnston played for Hearts albeit very briefly.

Moved on to be a Scottish rugby international.

1 hour ago, Blackford Hearts said:

Paul Kane was Holy Rood as I think was Darren Jackson. Played with Paul at Salvy. Nice guy but not a great fan of Hearts!!!

Westwater was Hearts and either Holyrood or Porty, he was at Parsy. In fact most of that Parsy / Porty team played professionally at some point, Greg Alexander went to Hearts not sure if he played or got injured before he played. 

Seems the net is closing in on anonymity of JKB. Definitely some who I recognise must have been at Porty with me....

Callum Milne would have also been in that same Salvy team as Kano and as you say both Hibby C U N Tuesdays but good lads. 

I was in a younger team at Salvy at about the same time and they made the most of Hibs having a bit of an upper hand then which made it all the sweeter when we dominated them from the early 80’s onwards and they had to suffer it first hand.

2 hours ago, Blackford Hearts said:

Darren Jackson was at trinity. 

Blackford Hearts
20 minutes ago, Hook said:

Callum Milne would have also been in that same Salvy team as Kano and as you say both Hibby C U N Tuesdays but good lads. 

I was in a younger team at Salvy at about the same time and they made the most of Hibs having a bit of an upper hand then which made it all the sweeter when we dominated them from the early 80’s onwards and they had to suffer it first hand.

Those were the days when Hearts never lost to Hibs. Sort of payback to when we were at school when it seemed like we never won!

Evan Balfour (Airdrie) as well, Neil Irvine too. Great guy as well. Others from that Salvy team went to clubs but not sure who made it to playing professionally.

Also add Tommy Graham (Berwick Rangers) to the Porty footballers

N Lincs Jambo
19 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I played in the same Carrick Knowe primary school team, then Forrester High team as Arthur before he went to Man U straight from school.

Some trivia. He was originally a left winger, then he played as a sweeper, before he became a left back. 

Tom Hendrie was in the year above me and Terry Christie was my Chemistry Teacher. 

When were you at Carrick Knowe Jonno? I was there 68-75 and played in the school team in P6 and 7. Last ever game for them was a 5-3 loss against Balgreen who had a great Primary schools team then. I have a feeling that in that last game I may have been up against Gary Mackay but not 100% sure.

MacDonald Jardine
5 hours ago, Blackford Hearts said:

I was in the same year as Greg Alexander in primary and secondary. 

I don't remember him at Hearts but he played for Berwick Rangers for a while. 

So did Tommy Graham from that year.

N Lincs Jambo
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

I was at Carrick Knowe from 1965 then to Forrester High in 1969/70. 

We had a pretty good side especially after Carrickvale got amalgamated into Forrester. Won a few medals in my time there. 

I played against Gordon Strachan and we murdered them 4-1 down at Craigroyston. He was a niggly, moaning wee shite even then but he got telt that day.

:verysmug:

Cheers Jonno, glad to hear that about Strachan. Was Souness at Carrickvale when it got amalgamated in or had he left by then?

The White Cockade

quite a few from Gracemount

Jimmy Cant

Lawrie Tierney

Roy Kay (I think)

Sandy Robertson

Darren Salton who was at Luton but car crash ended his career

Deek Neilson keeper with Dundee Utd, Meadowbank, Brechin and Berwick who I was at school with

Sadly died fairly recently

Few more but my memory not so good these days

N Lincs Jambo
3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I don't recall him ever being at Forrester so can only assume he left school while at Carrickvale, mate.

Just checked his Wiki page and he had gone down to Spurs in 1970 at age 16 presumably so he won't have been at Forresters.

N Lincs Jambo
Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Aye that makes sense, mate. He's a bit older than me.........

The question is though does Forresters get to claim the Carrickvale history a la Sevco?? ;)

On 24/08/2009 at 01:57, hughesie27 said:

Surely your Enemy would be somewhere like Royal High? They are jsut a bunch of middle class rent boys like your lot.

Leave Forries and Auggies to battle it out by themselves!

Lol

N Lincs Jambo
Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Carrickvale had nae history my friend. 

Apart from producing thon Souness bloke... :wink:

Lol at that

Maroon Sailor
33 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Jimmy Cant

Lawrie Tierney

Roy Kay (I think)

Sandy Robertson

Deek Neilson keeper with Dundee Utd, Meadowbank, Brechin and Berwick who I was at school with

That was news to me about Derek Neilson. I seen him play for Meadowbank and thought he couldn't have been that old.

Found out he was only 58.

9 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I seem to recall in is younger days that it was Rangers, but I am going back around 45 - 50 years. His brother George may have been a Hibs supporter so Arthur may have had leanings there as well. It was different then. 

I don't think he went to games as such because he played schools  football then for Salvesen in the afternoon.

I was on a train north to Edinburgh in about 1988 when a huge crowd with Edinburgh accents piled on at Preston or Crewe. They turned out to be Arthur Albiston's whole extended family, making their way back up North after attending his testimonial at Old Trafford the previous day. One of them was his brother, who I spoke with for a wee while. He said he and Arthur were Jambos, along with most of the family.

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

He said he and Arthur were Jambos, along with most of the family.

When I was a kid someone told me a Manchester United player (went on to say Arthur Albiston) was from Edinburgh I was also told he was a Hearts fan.

WoolfordsHearts
7 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

There was a guy called Mark Fraser who was Rangers youth team captain and had the football world at his feet.

Sadly drank every bus journey from Glasgow to Edinburgh every day after training and pissed his football career away.

Shame as he was a great player and one of the best I ever played with

I think I played against him back in the day.

Centre half with hutchie vale or edina hibs?

On 25/08/2009 at 16:21, I'M IBRAHIM TALL said:

Musselburgh Grammar.

John White (ask your dad)

Jim Jeffries

Billy Brown

Kenny Miller

Colin Nish

David Graham (Dunf Wigan & Torquay)

Gary Wood (Ross County Cowdenbeath)

plus a few more that will come to me

My son was saying that Nish and Miller were at the school assembly. He said that the way the headmaster was talking you would think it was Pele and Maradona.

chester copperpot
1 hour ago, WoolfordsHearts said:

I think I played against him back in the day.

Centre half with hutchie vale or edina hibs?

Yeah mate.

Was a brilliant player but ultimately a bit of a waster. 

I remember when we used to go out at the weekends and he said he hated being a footballer.

Could have cut his legs off tbh as he was so talented.

Blackford Hearts
6 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I was in the same year as Greg Alexander in primary and secondary. 

I don't remember him at Hearts but he played for Berwick Rangers for a while. 

So did Tommy Graham from that year.

I was year below. I think when Robbo 1st started playing for Hearts he recommended Greg. Not sure of outcome. Porty still can claim him as a top flight footballer regardless if he played for Berwick! 

MacDonald Jardine
33 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

I was year below. I think when Robbo 1st started playing for Hearts he recommended Greg. Not sure of outcome. Porty still can claim him as a top flight footballer regardless if he played for Berwick! 

Yes. Agreed.

It's funny that for long enough Portuguese didn't have a football team yet a number of players came from there.

7 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Jimmy Cant

Lawrie Tierney

Roy Kay (I think)

Sandy Robertson

Sandy Robertson. Now there's a name I remember from around 1990 or so for whom big things were predicted, not least by His then manager, Graeme Souness, who described him as 'the best young player in Britain' at the time. Unfortunately it all seemed to go straight to his head as his career thereafter was a tale of drink, nightclub violence, jail and chronic underachievement, moving on from club to club until dropping out of football at 30 or so. What a waste. According to his wiki page, he's the son of ex Jambo  Malcolm Robertson.

It should have been ten
On 22/08/2009 at 19:56, dodethejambo said:

Sandy Jardines daughter went there as well (does that count)

Horrible lassie

Edited by It should have been ten

It should have been ten
9 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Jimmy Cant

Lawrie Tierney

Roy Kay (I think)

Sandy Robertson

Add Tommy Harrison

Marc Anthony 

Cammy Gill

Does it have to be Edinburgh?

Donald Park, Hearts

George Campbell, Aberdeen (their youngest ever player until Fyvie)

Duncan Shearer, Aberdeen & Scotland

John McGinlay, Bolton & Scotland

Not only did they all go to Lochaber High, they’re all from the same village (Caol).

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Sandy Robertson. Now there's a name I remember from around 1990 or so for whom big things were predicted, not least by His then manager, Graeme Souness, who described him as 'the best young player in Britain' at the time. Unfortunately it all seemed to go straight to his head as his career thereafter was a tale of drink, nightclub violence, jail and chronic underachievement, moving on from club to club until dropping out of football at 30 or so. What a waste. According to his wiki page, he's the son of ex Jambo  Malcolm Robertson.

In relation to this, I recall an interview with Levein in 2000 - shortly after he took the reigns at us - where he spoke about Sandy's younger brother (Malcolm I think). He would have been on the books or on loan at Cowdenbeath when Levein was there and described as having the biggest natural talent he had ever worked with but was lacking the commitment and attitude to make something of it. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

In relation to this, I recall an interview with Levein in 2000 - shortly after he took the reigns at us - where he spoke about Sandy's younger brother (Malcolm I think). He would have been on the books or on loan at Cowdenbeath when Levein was there and described as having the biggest natural talent he had ever worked with but was lacking the commitment and attitude to make something of it. 

So sad. Talented footballers seem to be far more prone to pissing away their talents than any other Sportsmen and indeed the wider working World. As the saying goes, Hard work will always beat talent when talent doesn't work. The flip side of that is that lots of other footballers have made it with much less natural talent - compensating for it with sheer hard work and determination. 

There was a  young fellow (Johnson ?) who broke into the Man City 1st team around 2009/10 and looked a prospect so the club gave him a 2 year £40k a week deal. Big mistake. It all went straight to his head and he soon dropped out the team and spent the next 2 years getting pissed before being released and disappearing in to oblivion. 

How much influence does a school have exactly on a players development?

I ask as I went to high school in Hawick so football wasn't really an option. Through the 4 years I was there, my year didn't have enough interest to have a team.

On 11/12/2017 at 07:07, hughesie27 said:

8 year old thread bump. Strange!

Since 2009 we can now add Jamie Walker from the Forries Academy of professional footballing.

Obviously all down to Mr Wilson. Not the psycho one.

I was a year below Jamie at school..... thank christ he's good at football :banghead:

4 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Folk posting player names do realise that "Top flight" in the OP's question isn't rhyming slang?

:groundhog:

4 hours ago, Nightwing said:

I was a year below Jamie at school..... thank christ he's good at football :banghead:

I was 2 years above. Had the better of him on the pitch in P.E. When the classes mixed*

*before he hit puberty

7 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

As the saying goes, Hard work will always beat talent when talent doesn't work. The flip side of that is that lots of other footballers have made it with much less natural talent - compensating for it with sheer hard work and determination. 

I was in the same year at school as Darren Jackson and there were a few guys who at the time were better players. The difference was that Darren was determined to be a footballer, he left school and got a job but kept on playing amateur eventually getting picked up by Meadowbank and obviously kept the positive attitude and hard work up where most of them just gave up if a club didn't come looking for them.

Maroon Sailor
59 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I was in the same year at school as Darren Jackson and there were a few guys who at the time were better players. The difference was that Darren was determined to be a footballer, he left school and got a job but kept on playing amateur eventually getting picked up by Meadowbank and obviously kept the positive attitude and hard work up where most of them just gave up if a club didn't come looking for them.

Got a dream move to Newcastle.

He could have been Newcastle's answer to Bernie Slaven who Middlesbrough signed from Albion Rovers however Jim Smith came in as manager and Jackson moved on.

Edited by Maroon Sailor