Tired football cliches

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

Triggered by another thread, what are your least favourite JKB cliches? For starters

1. He's "not a footballer" (variants "never a footballer", "will never be ... etc) ... applied to any player disliked and always to a player who is in the top 1% and usually top 0.1% of his profession. Commonly applied to a Hearts player, rarely an opposition player.

2. He has been or will be "ripped a new one", applied whenever an attacking player, usually wide, beats a defender more than once in a game (or is expected to - see Suso).

3. "Bombscare"

4. "Bambi on ice"

... the last two usefully descriptive the first hundred times you read them but thereafter just annoying.

any of the family of 'better fan than thou' claims.

anything involving the word 'vouch'.

IMO... when it's a cr** opinion.

"There's a player in there somewhere" = **** OFF!!!

"They've set their stall out well" = AAARGH!!

Beat me to it!! I hate that one, usually as it's used in conjunction with Obua (who basically runs about like Bambi on ice).

Skivingatwork

Straight as a die?

(obviously this one was invented as the converse to a hibees sexual orientation)

Miller Jambo 60
Triggered by another thread, what are your least favourite JKB cliches? For starters

1. He's "not a footballer" (variants "never a footballer", "will never be ... etc) ... applied to any player disliked and always to a player who is in the top 1% and usually top 0.1% of his profession. Commonly applied to a Hearts player, rarely an opposition player.

2. He has been or will be "ripped a new one", applied whenever an attacking player, usually wide, beats a defender more than once in a game (or is expected to - see Suso).

3. "Bombscare"

4. "Bambi on ice"

... the last two usefully descriptive the first hundred times you read them but thereafter just annoying.

Parkhead is paradise it aint now you clowns:10900:

Francis Albert

"Stonewaller" or "stonewall penalty", almost always used to describe a dubious penalty decision or claim. (eg Celtic's claim tonight as described on here). If it is a definite penalty the word "penalty" works fine.

Jambo, Goodbye

I hate the "We know it'll be a tough game" quote that every manager and player comes out with time and time again before just about every game. Yes we flippin well ken that!!!

Unless it's a derby of course :2thumbsup:

Radioactive Mince

"Crack outfit" I'm sorry but if I invented the English language "crack" would not be a good thing, unless it was preceded by "tidy bird's".

This kind of stuff gets on my boobs - Chick Young last night: "So, Arsene, what did you think of the atmosphere tonight?" What atmosphere FFS? Oh aye, it's highly atmospheric witnessing a bunch of green and grey clad mongoloids holding their scarves still and outstretched above their heads repeating their club's name over and over in a nasal, Weegie bore-a-tone. Even more atmospheric when they sit silent for 90 mins while they are given a footballing lesson then slink away, leaving simply a trail of slime, at around 75 minutes to be replaced by seats. Class. Why not ask him about the actual match instead of fishing for patronising compliments. So sad.

What else? Hmmm.

I hate the term "in the hole". The only ground I know of with trenches is Fir Park and even then I doubt you could fit a Nade or Obua in one of them.

"The diminutive forward". Diminutive? What the ****? Since when did your average sports journalist write/say things like that? Why not just say "little" or "small". Trying too hard to seem intelligent and confuse readers in the West IMO. Which leads me to my next point.....

"Pint sized". What? Come ****ing off it! Nobody's that small, are they?

"Dazzling skill" That's right because when, say, a winger does a step-over I lose sight in both eyes momentarily. **** off!

A bit obvious but "Hibs flair" or "The Celtic way". Firstly, what is this and when did it start? Hibs for my whole life have been gash, hopeless cloggers and Celtic at their most successful recently, under O'Neill, were a team full of human battering rams!

"He lit up the place/match/game/night". I'm choking for some commentator or other to crack a pyromania joke straight after that old chestnut.

I'll go away and have a think. I'll most probably be back.

Mince.

'Its a big ask'.

:laugh:

I have to admit that is something I say a lot at the football. Not often on here to be honest but quite a lot at the games.

"Give it 110%"

Really hate that one, its not fecking possible!

Me too.

Much like the two minute silence, it has now went into the world of oneupmanship and has progressed to 200%. I have not heard 300% yet but we cannot be far off the first footballer to give 300%.

I P Knightley

"The diminutive forward". Diminutive? What the ****? Since when did your average sports journalist write/say things like that? Why not just say "little" or "small". Trying too hard to seem intelligent and confuse readers in the West IMO. Which leads me to my next point.....

It's the tabloid curse; using words in print that nobody would ever say out loud. Not football, I know, but another is "eatery". I ****in' HATE that word.

They both went for the same ball. How many balls are there ?

One of my favourites at the game ... heard minutes into the new season on Monday night is when two of our players go for the same ball - and people in the stand shout 'one of youse'. It is heard every time!:10900:

Who can forget the art of 'Ronglish' prior to Atkinson's racist faux-pas?

Examples include:-

He's given it the full gun

He's done him a lollipop

Put the reducer on him

In off his eyebrows

He must be watching cartoons if he'd thought he'd score from there

He went down faster than Buddy Holly

Francis Albert
"

"Pint sized". What? Come ****ing off it! Nobody's that small, are they?

True but there is also a sort of inverted size-ism at work in the world of football cliches. Being little (even "pint sized") is usually linked to compliments. "Clever little player", "nippy wee winger". Whereas "big and strong team", usually implies some lack of "pure" footballing skill. The phrase "small and weak team" never appears. Commentators feel free to refer to someone as "a big lump" (well one person anyway, presumably the only large player ever seen in Scotland), never to "a little runt".

Even compliments referring to size usually make size seem a handicap - "good feet for a big man" or (my favourite) "good turn of pace for a big fella" (Usain Bolt anyone?)

Not so much cliches as such, but when people type the likes of 'Murderwell', 'Rankgers', 'Chelski' etc thinking they're still being original and funny when in actual fact, it's something you used to run around saying when you were around 11 year old.

Who can forget the art of 'Ronglish' prior to Atkinson's racist faux-pas?

Examples include:-

He's given it the full gun

He's done him a lollipop

Put the reducer on him

In off his eyebrows

He must be watching cartoons if he'd thought he'd score from there

He went down faster than Buddy Holly

he also invented the phrase "early doors". wtf does that mean?

It's not exclusive to Kickback but the "politically correct brigade" cliche is pretty grating. Why is it always a brigade? Why is it never a bigger or smaller unit?

You never hear people talking about The Tolerant Batallion, The polite platoon or The Dogooder division, Never mind the hand-wringing hussars.

Archived