Tired football cliches

Francis Albert

'a 1-0 defeat away from home in europe is never a bad result'

yes, it is, getting beat in any game must surely constitute a bad result, regardless of the implications of a two-legged affair

take a bow son - copyright andy gray

he struck that too well, how can you strike something too well, if you did that surely you would score

It's not exclusive to Kickback but the "politically correct brigade" cliche is pretty grating. Why is it always a brigade? Why is it never a bigger or smaller unit?

You never hear people talking about The Tolerant Batallion, The polite platoon or The Dogooder division, Never mind the hand-wringing hussars.

Brigade sounds weak-assed.

If I was killed in the war by a brigade, my family would probably disown me. Similarly if I was in one.

A platoon however...

'GTF' - usually preceded by the name of a player who has wronged the poster in some way eg. 'Michael Stewart GTF', please note, manager and of course the romanovs are also applicable.

http://www.(insert jibe about being inbread).net - at first it was funny, but it has quickly become grating. I immediately avoid any thread with this in the original post.

In (insert sage like poster's name here) we trust I know some people have good sources, and I appreciate refreshingly accurate information as much as the next man, but I just find it cloyingly embarrasing the way some people (usually fringe posters like myself) desperately latch on to a poster after they get something right and every rumour thread becomes littered with 'Lets wait and see what (insert sage like poster's name here) says' etc. Something about it reminds me of the way school kids hang on every word of whichever person is flavour of the month. completely devoid of dignity.

Rant over - usually at the bottom of a mammoth post intending to signal an end to the post. This rarely actually indicates the end, merely the initial volley.

Rant over.

Archived