U19s

Ryan Gosling

Watched Darren Murray take a recent training session, his enthuasiasm is unbelievable, and he explains everything to the players ensuring they ALL know what is required.

Guest JamboRobbo
Watched Darren Murray take a recent training session, his enthuasiasm is unbelievable, and he explains everything to the players ensuring they ALL know what is required.

I'm sure he is enthusiastic. I just hope he is a good (capable) coach, as a lot of our future players are in his hands. Time will tell I guess.

Darren is a good lad and a true Jambo.......really hope he does well as we need as many "Hearts" people at the club as poss.

Guest JamboRobbo
Darren is a good lad and a true Jambo.......really hope he does well as we need as many "Hearts" people at the club as poss.

any idea on his coaching credentials / previous posts / experience in football?

any idea on his coaching credentials / previous posts / experience in football?

He was on Hearts & Falkirk's books when he was younger but didnt quite make it then played junior level for years at Musselburgh.........pretty sure McGlynn was manager there. If I remeber right he had a bad injury then helped McGlynn out with coaching there......it was McGlynn that brought him to Hearts.

Guest JamboRobbo
He was on Hearts & Falkirk's books when he was younger but didnt quite make it then played junior level for years at Musselburgh.........pretty sure McGlynn was manager there. If I remeber right he had a bad injury then helped McGlynn out with coaching there......it was McGlynn that brought him to Hearts.

cheers. A lot closer to what I expected (i.e. very little) than the sort of record I was hoping to hear about (highly qualified, good coaching record at other clubs, culminating in his chance at HMFC) , but cheers for the info all the same. :food-smiley-004:

cheers. A lot closer to what I expected (i.e. very little) than the sort of record I was hoping to hear about (highly qualified, good coaching record at other clubs, culminating in his chance at HMFC) , but cheers for the info all the same. :food-smiley-004:

Yep, he aint got much experience but I am sure he has done all the courses, etc. Time will tell on his coaching abilities........I just hope it works out for him & the club.

basher the jambo

I was at his training session last night and the guys a top bloke. The guy knows what hes talking about so i wish him all the best in the future.

Charlie-Brown

In my opinion Hearts Academy & Youth system has never had a problem either now or in recent years of producing young players up to and ready for 1st team level - Jonsson, Driver, Elliot, Wallace, Berra, Mole etc. They followed on from a long list of players who have made it to first team level (some progressed / some didn't) - the problem has sometimes been once they reach first team level can they kick on or not?

This often was the problem with the likes of Simmons or Janzyck or McMullan etc. There was no disputing these kids had talent and when they got their chance in first team after rising through the ranks there was no disputing they were ready for it in terms of their development - the Academy / Youth system had done their job properly - where we failed with some of these players was their development / management once they reached first team level - could they sustain it and improve? In some cases they didn't in other instances like Craig Gordon and Berra they did.

Guest JamboRobbo
In my opinion Hearts Academy & Youth system has never had a problem either now or in recent years of producing young players up to and ready for 1st team level - Jonsson, Driver, Elliot, Wallace, Berra, Mole etc. They followed on from a long list of players who have made it to first team level (some progressed / some didn't) - the problem has sometimes been once they reach first team level can they kick on or not?

This often was the problem with the likes of Simmons or Janzyck or McMullan etc. There was no disputing these kids had talent and when they got their chance in first team after rising through the ranks there was no disputing they were ready for it in terms of their development - the Academy / Youth system had done their job properly - where we failed with some of these players was their development / management once they reached first team level - could they sustain it and improve? In some cases they didn't in other instances like Craig Gordon and Berra they did.

Hearts need to be producing youngsters that can play in the SPL, not the first division. We've been dissapointing on that front over recent years IMO, and most of the players you list are part of that dissapointment - not good enough for HMFC.

jamboinglasgow
Hearts need to be producing youngsters that can play in the SPL, not the first division. We've been dissapointing on that front over recent years IMO, and most of the players you list are part of that dissapointment - not good enough for HMFC.

but to be fair, few youngsters will make it in the SPL from the youth side, though I agree with you JamboRobbo that we should be producing more spl standard players a year.

I do agree with you nomoreheroes that it is the management in the first team that is vital for continuing the development. Last year I worked for a former footballer and he told me that the problem he faced back in the 70's when you broke into the first team from youth was that too much pressure was put on you and that managers just told the players they must win, not giving them a chance if they made mistakes. He said that youth football played good football then it was completely different in the 1st team so many youngsters fail there cos they couldn't do what they did before.

So thats why I want our next manager to be one who knows how to use youth properly (Monkey heid I hate to say is a perfect example, think if he hadn't lost his quality players he could of done well with hibs.)

Charlie-Brown

The point I was making is that the Hearts Academy / Youth system has been a long running success in producing a succession of players capable of playing first team football.

Stage 2 of a players development is how they progress once they are 1st team / squad players - that is then down to both the player himself and the head coach / management he received.

Stephen Simmons was a great young player and ticked all the boxes in terms of ability - where Hearts failed with him I would say was partly the players own application & attitude - part Levein & subsequent coaches management of the player that he didn't develop as he should have - same with Janzyck & McMullan - these kids should have been good enough to play in the SPL but didn't - partly the players fault / partly coaching - management.

But that is a first team squad issue not an academy / youth development issue.

We_are_the_Hearts
The point I was making is that the Hearts Academy / Youth system has been a long running success in producing a succession of players capable of playing first team football.

Stage 2 of a players development is how they progress once they are 1st team / squad players - that is then down to both the player himself and the head coach / management he received.

Stephen Simmons was a great young player and ticked all the boxes in terms of ability - where Hearts failed with him I would say was partly the players own application & attitude - part Levein & subsequent coaches management of the player that he didn't develop as he should have - same with Janzyck & McMullan - these kids should have been good enough to play in the SPL but didn't - partly the players fault / partly coaching - management.

Disagree. The players you mentioned never had the physique or pace to push on. This should be the part we look to improve on, its just not about ability. The training at Arsenal should be an example where it is all about improving players agility and change of pace as opposed to stamina. Diet is also key on their agenda. If Vlad is serious about developing Youth then he could do worse than study the set up down there. You could see how much they had worked on positional awareness with young Stokes when he played in the SPL. That and movement off the ball seem to be other areas where Arsenal's youngsters excel. As much as people like Murray I just don't see how he has the necessary experience to be moulding our future kids.

People will obviously see it differently but yes it is nice to have "Hearts people" at the club. But in my opinion it is a lot better to have 'quality people' at the club who can get the job done.

jamboinglasgow

I agree with you that the acdemy is a success, it is one of the best, if not the best youth acdemy in Scotland and it appears it only gets better. It produces players with talent.

As said before what is needed is for a manager who knows how to take young players to the next level, but also might be an idea for hearts is what they do at Sao Paulo's youth acdemy, they not only look at the youngsters abilty when choosing whether to accept them or not but also the do testing on the player to see if they have the attitude and mental aspects, this helps identify those who just dont have the desire to always better themselves and others.

Guest JamboRobbo

Yes and no. We've not brought through anywhere near enough quality in the last 5/10 years IMO.

I see where you are coming from, but I think in terms of the first team, if a player has the ability, it'll shine through when the opportunity arises.

Examples would be Gordon, and much earlier Naysmith.

If a player doesn't really have what it takes, no amount of coaching is gonna turn him into a top player. A first division battler, yes. But a top player, not gonna happen IMO. Examples of these players would be most of the other names you mentioned.......

Guest JamboRobbo
I agree with you that the acdemy is a success, it is one of the best, if not the best youth acdemy in Scotland and it appears it only gets better. It produces players with talent.

If what you say is true, surely HMFC first team would be full to the brim with top quality young players who've come through the academy?

jamboinglasgow
Diet is also key on their agenda. If Vlad is serious about developing Youth then he could do worse than study the set up down there.

I think it is key, listening to the interview Darren Murry gave on Hearts world he kept mentioning diet sheets and help.

I think vlad should send people around to have a look at the best football youth development places in Europe and the world, it would benefit hearts.

chester copperpot
I blame Vlad.

Me too.

Bonus that the U-19's being at Murray park on sat because I live about 10 mins from there :).

A nice wee day watching the U-19's play, then off to Motherwell for a victory.

Charlie-Brown

We have to be producing more SPL quality players from our youngsters - that is the minimum requirement and a future source first team players - obviously the more international quality players like Craig Gordon or Gary Naysmith or even (Judas) Andy Webster's we can create / help to develop then the better our team will be but the minimum we should be looking for is good SPL quality players - I would rank someone like Scott Severin in this category - the Academy took Simmons & McMullan & Janzyck etc as far as they could in terms of ability and they all showed some moments of real quality in the first team when at their best so the capability was there in those guys.

Where we / they failed was to convert that ability and those players into becoming regular SPL - Hearts players.

Too often we've failed in the transitional stage between reserve & youth teams and the jump to first team regulars - there are numerous reasons why each individual player can succeed or fail or to make this leap but it is a very important step and needs careful handling - sometimes we've failed / other times we've succeeded - this is they key area where we need to improve on in my opinion.

Disser Pointon

Yeah, I know Darren from his time playing for Musselburgh Athletic, he named his wee boy Stephane following the 98 cup win!

:1022:

jamboinglasgow
imho we should have tried to get Donald Park - his experience would have been invaluable at that level.

dont you mean john park, the former hibs youth supremo (or am I wrong)

jamboinglasgow
Probably the fact that they're both involved in youth football and share a surname.

:P

that could be it, its like having Darren Murry and John Murry at hearts.

chester copperpot

FYI

Fans travelling to watch the u-19's, please try contacting the club in the morning to see if the Rangers game is on, as I've just driven past Murray Park and it looked more like a mudbath than a football field.

Been chucking it down here the last 24 hours. Cant see it being on.

FYI

Fans travelling to watch the u-19's, please try contacting the club in the morning to see if the Rangers game is on, as I've just driven past Murray Park and it looked more like a mudbath than a football field.

Been chucking it down here the last 24 hours. Cant see it being on.

Game is on I'm told - 11:30am KO

Archived