What's your biggest mistake in life or biggest regret?

Beats

Mine's not buying my great uncle's house when i had the chance when i was 18.He offered to go halfs with me and the council were selling it for ?11,000 to him.He wanted me to pass it down to any kids i had but i turned the chance down regret it now.He lived there for over 50 years paying rent and must have bought it a few times over.Daft laddie didn't want to waste money on a house.

Gareth_Hearts

No major ones so far but i wish i choose different schools as my current school's standard of rugby is the 2nd worst grammer school in Ulster:(

No major ones so far but i wish i choose different schools as my current school's standard of rugby is the 2nd worst grammer school in Ulster:(

It's not too great at spelling either, by the look of things.

blondejamtart

Je ne regrette rien....

except the fact that my dad never lived to see his grandchildren, as I know he'd have loved them to bits and been very very proud of them.

Miller Jambo 60
Je ne regrette rien....

except the fact that my dad never lived to see his grandchildren, as I know he'd have loved them to bits and been very very proud of them.

Wanting my wife back now and losing a job in a week

Thing is i will get her back

Im a JAMBO

shaun.lawson
Not shagging one of my teachers

Crikey - did you get the chance then? I had the chance to shag our French au pair when I was 14 - I'm sure I've told the story on here before. But I didn't; like the coward I am, I bottled it. :42:

life is a learning curve i always look forward. I regret being very pregnant in 2006 and missing both the semi and the final. Trivial really.

Crikey - did you get the chance then? I had the chance to shag our French au pair when I was 14 - I'm sure I've told the story on here before. But I didn't; like the coward I am, I bottled it. :42:

Nah... never even came close. lol

nanananananana-angus

Not sticking in at football.Gave up organised football at 13 and never kicked a ball in anger again 'til I joined the mob at 25 and discovered I was Super Wayne Foster fast,good 1st touch,good tackling,great passer with a Fultonesque left foot.Played with a quite a few guys who questioned why I never made it.:hammer:

:42:

Say no to mind altering substances kids.

Come on then tell the story

John Findlay

Not having the bottle aged 14 to tell Alex Ferguson(yes that one) that he was talking out his arse when he said I wasnt a winner when giving a trial by St Mirren.

John

shaun.lawson
Come on then tell the story

Oh well... Marie was her name: a curious individual who was out til very late at night very often, and when we had breakfast, would sit in her nightie with just one button done up - in the middle, which covered her modesty. She chain smoked like you wouldn't believe, but oozed sex appeal (read: filth), and as a red blooded adolescent, I had a huge crush on her.

Upstairs, our house had two corridors either side of the landing. Her bedroom was next to the bathroom on that side; my bedroom was on the other side, with the bathroom myself and my brother shared at the other end of the corridor, near the landing. In the middle of the night, I awoke needing the loo, and didn't bother to put anything on. In I went to our bathroom - and while I was in there, I heard the other bathroom door lock as well.

I'm pretty sure she was now waiting until she heard me come back out - at which point she appeared, accidentally on purpose, naked like I was. I froze; she beckoned me towards her. I took one step forward; then panicked and ran back to my room.

Of course, she could've been having a laugh, making fun of my crush on her: I doubt it though. I thought she'd been flirting with me in the days beforehand. It's such a bummer: I'd have been the school hero! Mind you, it may also have been a narrow escape. Some weeks later, we started getting these weird phone calls from a guy insisting she had HIV. She said it was just a bitter ex - but it put the fear of God into me!

Oh well... Marie was her name: a curious individual who was out til very late at night very often, and when we had breakfast, would sit in her nightie with just one button done up - in the middle, which covered her modesty. She chain smoked like you wouldn't believe, but oozed sex appeal (read: filth), and as a red blooded adolescent, I had a huge crush on her.

Upstairs, our house had two corridors either side of the landing. Her bedroom was next to the bathroom on that side; my bedroom was on the other side, with the bathroom myself and my brother shared at the other end of the corridor, near the landing. In the middle of the night, I awoke needing the loo, and didn't bother to put anything on. In I went to our bathroom - and while I was in there, I heard the other bathroom door lock as well.

I'm pretty sure she was now waiting until she heard me come back out - at which point she appeared, accidentally on purpose, naked like I was. I froze; she beckoned me towards her. I took one step forward; then panicked and ran back to my room.

Of course, she could've been having a laugh, making fun of my crush on her: I doubt it though. I thought she'd been flirting with me in the days beforehand. It's such a bummer: I'd have been the school hero! Mind you, it may also have been a narrow escape. Some weeks later, we started getting these weird phone calls from a guy insisting she had HIV. She said it was just a bitter ex - but it put the fear of God into me!

Hope you haven't told your father this story.......

If I were in his shoe's you'd now be disowned.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

:15:

That sounds like an erotic thriller that a bird would read while having a soak in the bath surrounded by scented candles and Dido on in the background.

Nonce French teacher lures strange 14 year old boy into bed. :D

shaun.lawson
Hope you haven't told your father this story.......

If I were in his shoe's you'd now be disowned.

Hahaha! Fair enough: it took me years before I told anyone, I was so scarred/embarrassed. The only person I told afterwards was my counsellor: I'm sure it won't surprise anyone on here that I once saw a shrink...

Doesn't quite work when the bed is in a different room to hers. :whistling:

shaun.lawson
:15:

That sounds like an erotic thriller that a bird would read while having a soak in the bath surrounded by scented candles and Dido on in the background.

Nonce French au pair, I'll have you know! She was very odd - but such was my family, we seemed to attract very odd people and very odd experiences. Still do in fact: you're talking to someone who was stalked, in the British Library FFS, by someone who looked like the spitting image of one of the chief suspects for Jack the Ripper!

Other, more fortunate souls are stalked, if they are at all, by pneumatic blondes. But not me. :42:

Tend to look forward and not back.

But if I could do it all again, I'd go to university when I was 18 and knocked back from pilot training with the RAF on medical grounds insteading of spitting out the dummy petulantly and going on the lash for 4 years...

Carl Weathers

Making a James Hunt of myself on numourous nights out on the sauce. I could never handle the booze.

I don't have many regrets when I've been sober. Alcohol was my Achilles heel.

Drew Busby !

Over many years, I often wished I'd had more focus at school, got the right grades and studied medicine.

On the other hand the choices I made have given me a great family and a decent career. Life has worked out OK.

Classic Shaun.

Classic maybe - but true!

Hey i wasn't saying it wasn't true.For the record i'd have been there in a flash and no doubt it would have been over in a flash!!!

davemclaren

I'm assuming that this was a council house you lived in? :cool_shades:

shaun.lawson
I'm assuming that this was a council house you lived in? :cool_shades:

Hahaha! It was ridiculously big, wholly lacking in warmth, and quite obviously picked by my parents so they could show off to the world how "considerably richer than yow" they were.

davemclaren
Hahaha! It was ridiculously big, wholly lacking in warmth, and quite obviously picked by my parents so they could show off to the world how "considerably richer than yow" they were.

I can fully accept how big a regret the incident must have been. She could have been winding you up but you'll never know.... :)

shaun.lawson
I can fully accept how big a regret the incident must have been. She could have been winding you up but you'll never know.... :)

Indeed. I still think about it to this day. :42:

Don't tell me you are one of those types who try and turn their wealth into some sort of negative thing!

I HATE that! :15:

A few minor things but overall I reckon I'm far too young to have faced any major consequences of any bad decisions I've made so far.

I'll let you know in a few years.

shaun.lawson
Don't tell me you are one of those types who try and turn their wealth into some sort of negative thing!

I HATE that! :15:

1. I'm not personally wealthy.

2. You posted the other week that "your maw will always support you regardless". In my case, I may have been lucky enough to have had a fantastic education - but it isn't true, and it took my friends to point out to me that I was never really treated as my parents' son at all. More their counsellor; even their anti-depressant.

Had my childhood involved a lot less money, but a lot more love, I'd no doubt feel very differently.

1. I'm not personally wealthy.

2. You posted the other week that "your maw will always support you regardless". In my case, I may have been lucky enough to have had a fantastic education - but it isn't true, and it took my friends to point out to me that I was never really treated as my parents' son at all. More their counsellor; even their anti-depressant.

Had my childhood involved a lot less money, but a lot more love, I'd no doubt feel very differently.

I'm just saying one of my pet hates is when people try to use their wealth as a negative thing, gets right on my tits. They sorts should try the other side of the coin and see if they are still greeting about mummy and daddy being too rich!

On topic: I don't believe in having regrets. As long as you learn from a mistake it has been entirely worthwhile so it can't really be a regret.

Lifes too short!

shaun.lawson
I'm just saying one of my pet hates is when people try to use their wealth as a negative thing, gets right on my tits. They sorts should try the other side of the coin and see if they are still greeting about mummy and daddy being too rich!

On topic: I don't believe in having regrets. As long as you learn from a mistake it has been entirely worthwhile so it can't really be a regret.

Lifes too short!

100% agree with all of that. Apart from the French au pair - oh, and a crush in primary school who I never asked out - I don't do regrets either: they're a complete waste of time.

Thinking about it, how I view my childhood probably explains my attitude on the thread about the Monarchy: most people assume being born into a public life of wealth and privilege must be fun. I don't think it would be at all.

I regret going into my wallet for some change for the girls packing bags at ASDA on Saturday. Turned out to be Hibs Ladies under whatevers team collecting money. By which point the misses had put it in the bucket and I did not have time to say 'gonnae no'. Granted I should have had more awareness of the situation but I was a little hungover.

My two biggest regrets are getting into a serious amount of debt while still living with my parents, and not buying my grandparents house from the council like the OP.

Lifes too short!

Your correct life is too short.But i think we will all look back and say i regret that or wish i'd done it that way.

as a few have already said, lifes too short for regrets.

i could have more than a few regrets, but i don't have as if you've got the right perspective you find positives in things that haven't went your way.

Getting a mortgage when I was 18 with an ex. Couldn't be named on it due to recently changing jobs, altho the bank still took into account my salary for it.

Still paying off the debt 6 years later, yet she sold it for double what we paid for it.

J.T.F.Robertson

Too many to mention. I have a PhD in arseholeism. (not proud of it)

No real regrets as of yet but I very nearly could have.

I met my girlfriend at the tail end of the academic year last year when we were both getting ready to graduate after being introduced by a mutual friend.

The thing is we have since worked out that we will have walked past each other loads of times during uni due to the proximity of our relative departments and the timing similarity of our timetables.

She is also a waitress in a pub/diner that I never used to eat in but fairly regularly drank in so again she will have walked past me loads of times.

Even when we did meet it was a spur of the moment thing as I had been drinking with said mutual friend most of that day and decided at the last minute to tag along with a uni night out he was going on that she also went to straight from her work, when she was originally planning to give it a miss.

I realise I am a very lucky boy as my mate has since moved through to Edinburgh and if I hadn't tagged along to that night out the g/f and I would probably never have crossed paths again.

It's just as well becuase rather wussily I don't know what I would do without her.

davemclaren
No regrets.........................

but lots of things I'd do differently.

There would be little point in doing them the same.... :sorcerer:

grumpy rebus
There would be little point in doing them the same.... :sorcerer:

Quite the opposite, there's even more things I'd do the same:sorcerer:

Archived