?65 Million from Sky and ESPN confirmed

HMS Jambo

Charlie-Brown
Sky News reporting its until he end of 2011/12 which by my calculation is 3 seasons ! Pretty good deal if you ask me.

BBC is reporting it's a 3 year deal + 2 year option .... can't confirm yet but i doubt Sky went from offering ?65M for 5 years down to ?65M for only 3 years as that represents 67% more per year ie up from ?13M initially offered to ?21.67M per year- they might have offered some more but i don't think they will have hiked their offer by that much.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a pretty good deal - Sultana hugely overpaid anyway. As someone else mentioned, I heard from a reliable source that Sky only want 10 games with ESPN taking the rest. So (if true) Sky will presumably take the OF and Edinburgh derbies, and the best of the games featuring the OF playing us, Hibs, the sheep and Arabs. ESPN will then get subscriptions from the OF gloryhunters who want to watch them play St Mirren etc away.

Carl Spackler
What it does mean is a more regular return of Charlie Nicholas and Davie Provo.

Tragical

northfieldhearts

Wont affect many people anyway. Only games shown will be Old Firm at home & derby - most people will be at the games anyway so no need for subscription.

ESPN will launch a new channel to show its Premier League football. The new channel, called ESPN, will launch on August 3rd.

For residential customers, ESPN will be available for ?9 a month to Sky Sports subscribers and for ?12 a month to other Sky customers.

This new UK channel will replace ESPN America on the Sky satellite and Virgin Media services.

ESPN is set to be channel 417 on Sky with a high definition service at number 443. This will be ESPN's first European HD channel.

A spokesman for ESPN said the broadcaster was also looking at acquiring other rights for the new UK channel.

"We are interested in rights when they become available and when they make business sense. If we were to acquire additional live rights for the UK market, it is likely they would be broadcast on this [ESPN] channel," he added.

These are rumoured to include Scottish football and other sports previously covered by ESPN. US Sports will continue to be covered on the new ESPN channel.

See below for how we covered the news of Setanta's demise.

Guest JamboRobbo
WIll we need to subscide to both or will susbcribing to SKY be enough

extra channel with its own subscription.

Drylaw Hearts
It's better than those two owning the rest of us, however, will they still get 50% of the cash to split between themselves? If they do then what's the point? A massive inequality remains in place.

I'd imagine Liverpool get more money than Bolton from Sky.

Whats the point in that ?

I'm maybe getting a bit ahead of myself now and looking now on the technical front ?

It says all games will be televised in HD and standard format ?

Now my query is, will Sky be doing the camera work at ALL games then, with ESPN paying them to do so for their share?

That ought to be much better than STV's gash footage then.

Might we also get less bias and have less occasions where stonewall Hearts penalties appear to land up on the cutting room floor ?

Ach whatever, club accountants will be exhailing all over the country now and some transfers might actually start to happen :2thumbsup:

Carl Spackler
I'm maybe getting a bit ahead of myself now and looking now on the technical front ?

It says all games will be televised in HD and standard format ?

Now my query is, will Sky be doing the camera work at ALL games then, with ESPN paying them to do so for their share?

That ought to be much better than STV's gash footage then.

Might we also get less bias and have less occasions where stonewall Hearts penalties appear to land up on the cutting room floor ?

Ach whatever, club accountants will be exhailing all over the country now and some transfers might actually start to happen :2thumbsup:

I'd guess Sky will be the ones actually producing the programmes.

Will ESPN be available on subscription over Terrestrial Digital?

Hopefully the SPL also sort out the pricing of the extended highlights package so that somebody takes that up as well.

Just a wee aside

Looking at the ESPN channel on the freeview box, it's all Baseball just now.

I wonder if they couldn't have given us that for free till the footie kicks off and maybe got a few more potential customers hooked on MLB ?:hat2:

Castle Magyar
Cool. Now let's see who has the overseas rights (hoping Fox Sports pick them up over here and then I can sack Setanta!)

I think overseas will still be run by Setanta; called 'Setanata International', who are a seperate body / company from Setanta, and were untouched by the simple Setanta who just went bust.

So whatever deal you had last season, is likely to be carried on into this season (as I read somewhere; BBC.co.uk, Setanta.co.uk/com, Scotprem.com)....

PresidentRomanov

Not interested in the slightest at the cost of the packages, as I'm one of these old fashioned supporters that likes to go along to the game and support the team, but does anyone know when the games are likely to be played?

Not interested in the slightest at the cost of the packages, as I'm one of these old fashioned supporters that likes to go along to the game and support the team, but does anyone know when the games are likely to be played?

The same times as last season. Saturday 12.30pm, Sunday 12.30pm, Sunday 2pm or Monday 7.45pm.

I am of the these old fashioned types,that think you should follow the links and read the thread and find out for yourself:10900:

PresidentRomanov
The same times as last season. Saturday 12.30pm, Sunday 12.30pm, Sunday 2pm or Monday 7.45pm.

Ah well, makes no difference then, wish they hadn't got a deal at all :57:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Is that confirmed aye?

A 5.35pm Saturday kick off would be magic. Bevvy before the game then straight out again once it's finished.

PresidentRomanov
I am of the these old fashioned types,that think you should follow the links and read the thread and find out for yourself:10900:

No need, there's enough nerds willing to do that for me, I've found out the answer within a minute of asking :2thumbsup:

PresidentRomanov
Is that confirmed aye?

A 5.35pm Saturday kick off would be magic. Bevvy before the game then straight out again once it's finished.

I would've been, I used to like the 6:05pm Sunday games too.

Excellent result even if there is spin being applied and the ?65m is for 5 years. If it is for 3 then so much the better. I never believed the OF proposal would take off but I was prepared to give the rights away virtually short term rather than commit to 5 years at this stage.

I still believe we should use this deal to build for the future. There is now money available that could not be counted on before. Lets use some of this collectively to examine the feasibility of following the Dutch example of keeping the rights and profits inhouse.SPL TV foundered in 2002 because the OF argued, correctly in my view, that the proposal was half baked. No proper feasibility study, no business plan, no market research, no technological proposals, nothing of any substance in fact. OF TV has foundered now largely because it was a hasty reaction to events and had little meat on the bone very late in the day. Lets learn from these mistakes and plan long term. At the very least if broadcasters are aware there is an alternative on the table it should drive up the bid next time round.

Am i right in thinking that Sky were going to show the Big games ( diddy firm and derby) ?

If yes do they expect people to pay 9quid to watch St midden v Super J's or St midden rolling over to celtic?

Think ill take my chances and keep my 9 pound and any hearts away games on ESPN im not at, watch in the pub.

Guest JamboRobbo
do they expect people to pay 9quid to watch St midden v Super J's or St midden rolling over to celtic?

it'll have some premiership games also.

Guest JamboRobbo
Excellent result even if there is spin being applied and the ?65m is for 5 years.

Think that is it. I guess the OFTV bluff bought them a get out clause.

ESPN commentators aren't going to go on about us top-bodying the ball into the scorebag and stuff though are they?!

Hopefully that Oirish idiot who keeps going on about 'the old onion bag'will not get near it!

Seymour M Hersh
I'd imagine Liverpool get more money than Bolton from Sky.

Whats the point in that ?

Stay on message dolt!:10900:

p.s. see my response to JR.

Seymour M Hersh
IIRC, top two teams in the league get a great big chunk of the money. We took Rangers chunk it in 05/06, so it's up to us to go out and earn our dough.

I understand a meritocratic divvying up of a % of the money as prizemoney but is there a set amount given to all clubs at the start of the season as there appears to be in the EPL and then more money allocated as per league position? My understanding was that the bigot bros got significantly more than everyone else excluding the mey allocated for league position (which I accept historically they would both get the most).

Marooned In Oz
Cool. Now let's see who has the overseas rights (hoping Fox Sports pick them up over here and then I can sack Setanta!)

Geoff, Setanta australia is a seperate entity and their deal runs for a good few years. I personally am glad bout this because Fox sports would not show SPL over the EPL mate.

We're lucky to have setanta because prior to that we had absolutely nothing.

There's no chance that SKY/ESPN have suddenly went from ?65m over 5 years to ?65m over 3 years. The deal will be effectively ?13m per year and if the SPL want to opt out after year 3 because they can get a better deal then they can. Good deal under the circumstances though.

Just to clarify what I've found out.

ITs 65 million over 5 years with a stepped payment proceedure.

year 1. 12m

year 2. 12.5.

year 3. 13

then an option for the spl to walk away but if not

year 4 13.5

year 5. 14m

So its actually less than the previous setanta deal in year 1.

Also, its even worse for the lower end teams. The appearance fee per games has been slashed and the prize money for the top 2 teams increased.

Not the greatest deal but the only one around.

Cant find out any broadcast plans yet though.

Part of me thinks the Ugly Sisters fed figures through the press to push such a deal through and ensure they got a mimimum price and the SPL had a mimimum value to fight on. It was never their intention to own the leagues rights as they knew it would never be voted through but to a potential invester it makes thing a little more saught after if there is another option on the table.

Just my views.

While the loss of money is far from ideal, I'd much rather this than lining the pockets of the old squirm!

grumpyespana
Just to clarify what I've found out.

ITs 65 million over 5 years with a stepped payment proceedure.

year 1. 12m

year 2. 12.5.

year 3. 13

then an option for the spl to walk away but if not

year 4 13.5

year 5. 14m

So its actually less than the previous setanta deal in year 1.

Also, its even worse for the lower end teams. The appearance fee per games has been slashed and the prize money for the top 2 teams increased.

Not the greatest deal but the only one around.

Cant find out any broadcast plans yet though.

At the end of the day its better than a kick in the ar*e.

Grumpy.

If poggs? info is correct then not only is this a smaller cake but the OF get a bigger slice.

An interesting statement has just come out of Celtic Park. It is clear that a) they were serious about the OF TV proposal, B) They are going to persevere with the idea, c) It was their initiative which they took to Rangers.

Celtic Chairman John Reid said: "Celtic have a responsibility to speak out for our supporters who will be deeply dissatisfied with the background to, and outcome of, the SPL decision and the events leading up to it.

"No-one should underestimate the blow that has been inflicted on this club and Scottish football by the way in which the whole affair has been handled and by the losses incurred.

"Last year's decision to reject the Sky bid and opt for Setanta - arrived at against the strong opposition of Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen - has proved to be the disastrous misjudgement we indicated it might be, with Setanta now in administration.

"In turn, this has led to the dilemma we now find ourselves in.

"The SPL accepted a bid that is less than half the value of that offered by Sky last year.

"The whole SPL is now a commercial victim, in an uncompetitive TV market, in the middle of a recession, locked in for years to an income some 60% lower than last year's bid.

"This is the direct consequence of last year's misjudgement, one that has cost us all some ?70million in a sport that desperately needs the income and where our supporters are already paying their own hard-earned cash.

"To Celtic it means a potential loss of up to ?12million over the four year period - the equivalent of around 6500 season tickets each year."

Earlier in the week, it emerged that Celtic and Rangers could join forces to mount a bid for the broadcasting rights to Scottish football, a plan they claim would have benefited all clubs and not just the Old Firm.

Reid added: "We need to face up to some harsh realities.

"In an environment crying out for long-term thinking this concentration on short-term gain only leads to long-term pain.

"Above all the SPL must learn the lessons of these events.

"That is why we initiated discussion with Rangers Football Club to examine possible alternatives to the present position.

"We reserve the right to continue to explore those options not only for the longer term benefit of Celtic football club but for everyone involved."

Maybe I've recently had a 'peebles' experience but I dont recall any mention of a rival SKY offer last year ?

Reid's statement makes worrying reading and when you add that to the original rejection of SKY, that allowed Setanta in in the 1st place, then clearly Lex Gold's contract advisors are feckin useless !

Once again they have spun the figures, clearly looking to give the impression that they have negotiated a cracking deal in trying times - feckin p*sh

I am positively shaking with rage !

Are they really expecting fans to subscribe to 2 channels to watch SPL footy ? :nah:

In terms of subscriber numbers this has got failure written all over it IMO.

Sorry I missed a bit of the statement as I lifted off Newsnow SPL and they did not have this opening passage. Strong stuff including dig at Murray in the opening sentence.

UP until now Celtic have made no official comment regarding the sale of SPL Football rights and revenue.

But Celtic supporters - indeed all those who have the interests of Scottish football at heart ? have the right to know Celtic?s view on the debacle surrounding one of the most important issues facing Scottish football in recent decades.

At today?s meeting Celtic made plain our view on the extent and consequences of the damage to the Scottish game of the misjudged handling of the whole issue, particularly last year?s decision to opt for Setanta.

The responsibility for these decisions lies both with the collective and the leadership of the SPL. The lessons of this affair cannot just be ignored.

Are they really expecting fans to subscribe to 2 channels to watch SPL footy ? :nah:

In terms of subscriber numbers this has got failure written all over it IMO.

We'll hopefully we'll have trousered 2 years of their cash before THEY take the option to pull out.

Time to get some proper brains behind the TV options available :rifle:

Footballfirst
Maybe I've recently had a 'peebles' experience but I dont recall any mention of a rival SKY offer last year ?

Reid's statement makes worrying reading and when you add that to the original rejection of SKY, that allowed Setanta in in the 1st place, then clearly Lex Gold's contract advisors are feckin useless !

Once again they have spun the figures, clearly looking to give the impression that they have negotiated a cracking deal in trying times - feckin p*sh

I am positively shaking with rage !

There was a competitive bid (although slightly lower) from Sky that the OF & the Sheep were in favour of accepting. The rest of the SPL teams decided to vote for the higher Setanta bid. The position that the OF took was that there was less business risk and more international exposure to be gained from the deal with Sky............. and so it proved.

I'm spitting feathers over this.

Even after Setanta go bust, in order to watch any live Scottish football (10 games per season excepted) you will have to pay not only for a Sky subscription, but also an extra fee for ESPN.

Whereas if you support an EPL club (all rolling in money and Sky paying a fortune for the rights) you don't have to pay any extra at all.

I will now be in North Wales for the forseeable future and physically going to the games is no longer really an option. And I'm not willing to pay ?9 extra per month to see three extra OF away matches. So I guess it's Hearts World for me again.

Just catching up and reading the info. I note it is 30 games per channel.

I hope that ESPN cut a deal so that BTV / Virgin continue to get the channel reasonably.

Could be a good op for PPV on Terestrial and Cable if they get it right.

The systems are in place and working for encryption.

If ESPN want to get into the market and create a buzz - doing PPV at ?1 a game will get a lot of people looking in IMO.

Automated systems can do the work easily.

Has anybody noticed this herald's the return of REGULAR monday night football, bloomin awful that is by the way, just awful. You can also pretty much guarantee every derby will be a Sunday at 6pm. I couldn't give a ****** about the money, as fans going to the games this is awful news and will only lower attendances further.

Did anyone read the Record today?

Hateley saying we should all bend over backwards to get OF TV pushed through.

Fud.

This deal is prob as good as we could have hoped for.

I see Dr John Reid has thrown the dummy out of the pram over this deal - if that's the case then it must be financially good for everyone else apart from the Old Filth. Personally, I'd rather the SPL had attempted to strike a deal with one of the terrestrial broadcasters for next season, even if it meant less money, and then seen where things went from there.

jamboinglasgow

Fud.

I read that, i was amazed at what he was saying. Basicly Rangers and Celtic are Scottish football so they should be allowed to control their own tv rights.

It is that arrogance that annoys me most about the old firm, it seems that all other clubs in Scotland are simply there to serve the old firm. It is one of my desires for a team to challenge them, if there were a third team and the risk of a fourth that challenged them every season then they would not be so high and mighty.

The statement from Celtic sounds like sour grapes to be honest. They are desperate to get control of their own tv rights and this was their best chance.

shaun.lawson

The statement from Celtic sounds like sour grapes to be honest. They are desperate to get control of their own tv rights and this was their best chance.

Yes and no. Celtic may be many things - but you can't say they don't run their finances incredibly well. There was a separate SKY deal on offer when the Setanta one was agreed: SKY are a heck of a lot more reliable, and offered a huge amount. But because Setanta offered a bit more, the SPL vetoed what the OF and Aberdeen wanted - and now it's the SPL with egg on their face.

Fud.

Yeh, typical ex OF weegie rs licking p*sh I agree

However, whilst I doubt he really has any idea what he's talking about, the OF deal has some very sound reasoning behind it. If you read the Celtic statement it doesn't show the SPL top brass in a very good light. Unfortunately it sounds like we actually 'went with the flow' and voted to reject the SKY deal ........or maybe the Celtic b***** was being selective when saying only the Sheep sided with them in voting for it ?

Archived