• granton
    • pilton
    • drylaw
    • dumbiedykes
    • Clermiston
    • sighthhill
    • other (please state)

19 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Royston, Drylaw, Pilton and Muirhouse area is the roughest part of Edinburgh. 

Not nowadays. Royston is very quiet nowadays. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tenaciousdandy

• Pasquale for King

• speedbump

• martoon

Lived in Pilton (both sides), Niddrie, Hutchie, several parts of Leith and Dumbiedykes. Hardly had an ounce of bother anywhere. I think you're all just ****ing snobs.

Dalkeith however. What a ****ing hovel. 

Tenaciousdandy
47 minutes ago, Locky said:

Lived in Pilton (both sides), Niddrie, Hutchie, several parts of Leith and Dumbiedykes. Hardly had an ounce of bother anywhere. I think you're all just ****ing snobs.

I'm originally from Dalkeith and I agree lol moved out to Gullane in the early 2000's, not sure if its got worse or better since then lol the old Dalkeith high was a shit hole of a school as well 

2 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

I'm originally from Dalkeith and I agree lol moved out to Gullane in the early 2000's, not sure if its got worse or better since then lol the old Dalkeith high was a shit hole of a school as well 

I wouldn't say the town itself is all that bad, but I stayed in Woodburn for a year and it's just full of complete halfwits. That and the length of time it took to commute into town and stuff just made it quite miserable for me.

Moved to Musselburgh almost 3 years ago and never looked back. Not one thing I miss about living out Dalkeith way.

Tenaciousdandy
7 minutes ago, Locky said:

I wouldn't say the town itself is all that bad, but I stayed in Woodburn for a year and it's just full of complete halfwits. That and the length of time it took to commute into town and stuff just made it quite miserable for me.

Moved to Musselburgh almost 3 years ago and never looked back. Not one thing I miss about living out Dalkeith way.

Grow up in the shadpark area near the country park in the 80's and 90's and that part wasn't to bad, woodburn drive was always notorious for its bambots, I have a ex that lived there 😂 

53 minutes ago, Locky said:

I found most of Dalkeith to be generally pretty quiet, with some nice areas, except for Widburn and Mayfield and the odd bam around Shadepark. Friday and Saturday nights were horrendous though, when the folk from those areas migrated to the town centre.

6 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Grow up in the shadpark area near the country park in the 80's and 90's and that part wasn't to bad, woodburn drive was always notorious for its bambots, I have a ex that lived there 😂 

My current GF grew up in Woodburn Park. The Drive was still rough as anything when we stayed there. The Salters pub was just rammed full of neds most of the weekend, and then they'd all go to the Woodburn club. What a place.

4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I found most of Dalkeith to be generally pretty quiet, with some nice areas, except for Widburn and Mayfield and the odd bam around Shadepark. Friday and Saturday nights were horrendous though, when the folk from those areas migrated to the town centre.

Aye it's not a nice place on the weekends. We stayed 5-10 minute walk from the Woodburn club and the noise on a Friday or Saturday night was ridiculous. Especially in the summer when we slept with the window open. Could hardly catch a wink.

The streets around it are just a nightmare too. Everyone spills out at closing time, and it's just fighting, shagging and general noise.

Tenaciousdandy
12 minutes ago, Locky said:

My current GF grew up in Woodburn Park. The Drive was still rough as anything when we stayed there. The Salters pub was just rammed full of neds most of the weekend, and then they'd all go to the Woodburn club. What a place.

Aye it's not a nice place on the weekends. We stayed 5-10 minute walk from the Woodburn club and the noise on a Friday or Saturday night was ridiculous. Especially in the summer when we slept with the window open. Could hardly catch a wink.

The streets around it are just a nightmare too. Everyone spills out at closing time, and it's just fighting, shagging and general noise.

Woodburn Park is alright, one if my mates mums lives there, don't think the drive will ever change tbh lol tje salters used to be a decent pub, had my 18th in it, I didn't mind the Friday Saturday nights, I used to work in the old meal market inn tho so was used to it, had a few good nights out in the club, but yeah had to watch what you where doing at times, was partial to a fight breaking out and the odd stabbing outside, so was always best to have a taxi ready to make a sharp exit before the edjits came out, never shagged outside the club myself lol  

Edited by Dandyman79

Then there’s the phenomenon of the roughest street in an already rough area. When I was growing up in Granton it was pretty much thought that Granton Medway was 100% full of certifiable bampots. Whether true it or not it was just what people thought. 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Locky said:

The streets around it are just a nightmare too. Everyone spills out at closing time, and it's just fighting, shagging and general noise.

That made me laugh sorry. 

Stayed in the Leith banana flats after my parents split in the early '80's. Not terribly nice, especially for a teenage Hearts fan. 

Disneyland, though, compared to Gateshead. Met a lass from there on holiday in Spain in 1987. Spent a few weekends staying with her and her mum. Only bearable for me because I knew I was offski after 48 hours and back to the comparative luxury of Cables Wynd House. 

luckyBatistuta

For me it’s the upper side of Restalrig/Lochend by a long shot. Had a few horrendous experiences up there with my work.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Having grown up in Muirhouse and the Niddrie in the 70s&80s the former wins this dubious honour for me. 

That's because you stayed in the posh part of Niddrie. 😁

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, martoon said:

That's because you stayed in the posh part of Niddrie. 😁

Hahahahaha fair point, Easter Duddingston my mum called it. 
The teachers and Headmaster where much more happy to give me the belt at Niddrie primary than Silverknowes though. 

9 minutes ago, martoon said:

Stayed in the Leith banana flats after my parents split in the early '80's. Not terribly nice, especially for a teenage Hearts fan. 

Disneyland, though, compared to Gateshead. Met a lass from there on holiday in Spain in 1987. Spent a few weekends staying with her and her mum. Only bearable for me because I knew I was offski after 48 hours and back to the comparative luxury of Cables Wynd House. 

The Bensham and Deckham areas of Gateshead scare the shit out of me every time i have to go there to visit family. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Hahahahaha fair point, Easter Duddingston my mum called it. 
The teachers and Headmaster where much more happy to give me the belt at Niddrie primary than Silverknowes though. 

My dad always thought the "Easter Duddingston" thing was funny. 

Niddrie-on-the Wold has a nice ring to it. Certainly better than Cleekim. 😉

2 minutes ago, cheetah said:

The Bensham and Deckham areas of Gateshead scare the shit out of me every time i have to go there to visit family. 

That's what the locals did to strangers. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, martoon said:

My dad always thought the "Easter Duddingston" thing was funny. 

Niddrie-on-the Wold has a nice ring to it. Certainly better than Cleekim. 😉

When you would say Cleekim they would say “Niddrie” and you said Niddrie they would Cleekim isn’t Niddrie 😆
My best pal from Niddrie was a guy called Andrew Motion who I helped to play football and I lost my place in the school team to him 🙈. In later years he started going to Hibs games, should left him to his own devices 😆
I might just head over for a walk down memory lane in the next week. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

6 minutes ago, cheetah said:

:lol: 

My girlfriend lived in flats quite near Saltwell Park. Don't recall the street name now. Had a look on a map to see if anything rang a bell, but no. 

Probably been demolished. 

11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

When you would say Cleekim they would say “Niddrie” and you said Niddrie they would Cleekim isn’t Niddrie 😆
My best pal from Niddrie was a guy called Andrew Motion who I helped to play football and I lost my place in the school team to him 🙈. In later years he started going to Hibs games, should left him to his own devices 😆
I might just head over for a walk down memory lane in the next week. 

I did that on the bike a few years back. Amazed at how small it all looked. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, martoon said:

I did that on the bike a few years back. Amazed at how small it all looked. 

It does indeed, the area has progressed a lot too. We used to vote in Niddrie Primary and it did feel tiny. 

Riddley Walker
1 hour ago, Locky said:

I moved to Musselburgh 3 years ago as well, funnily enough. Moved out to the Pans earlier this year though. Seen some fantastic scraps out my window from both.

9 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

I moved to Musselburgh 3 years ago as well, funnily enough. Moved out to the Pans earlier this year though. Seen some fantastic scraps out my window from both.

Where did you stay in Mussy? Up the North High Street seems the slightly rougher end of town. The bus stop at the Brunton looks like the Green Room at the Jeremy Kyle show. See some characters down the High Street but never seen anything bad at all really. Even if I've been down having a pint, it's a lot more civilised than Dalkeith, that's for sure.

I'm literally in the middle of Dalrymple Loan, between Caprice and the GP. Plenty passing noise, but honestly never had one bit of bother here. The Pans seems alright too. I actually like it down here.

Worked in a shop in Pilton/Muirhouse for a few years and while it's obviously got more than it's fair share of bampots, wasters and arsehole kids it's also got some of the friendliest people in the city and a sense of community I've never really experienced anywhere else. The new houses and 'town centre' type area are smoothing out a lot of the rough edges as well - wouldn't be completely against living there in the future. 

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

I'm literally in the middle of Dalrymple Loan, between Caprice and the GP. Plenty passing noise, but honestly never had one bit of bother here. The Pans seems alright too. I actually like it down here.

I'm round the corner from you on Inveresk Road and have seen the odd thing involving groups of teenagers usually pissed up scraps when they emerge from Lewisvale Park on a Friday night but nothing major. Council have been trying to buy up a few of the flats around here that have gone on the market in the last year so hopefully they're not planning on relocating the dregs of the town up this way. They can keep them down at Fisherrow! 

I grew up in Muirhouse in the 60s and 70s. Didn't seem that bad to me. Its different when you come from the area in question. Always got nervous when in West Pilton though. Having moved to Silverknowes three years ago I can see that Muirhouse and W Pilton are nowhere near as bad as they were. Most of Muirhouse, as was, has been knocked down. Including the Gunner.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Jamboross said:

Worked in a shop in Pilton/Muirhouse for a few years and while it's obviously got more than it's fair share of bampots, wasters and arsehole kids it's also got some of the friendliest people in the city and a sense of community I've never really experienced anywhere else. The new houses and 'town centre' type area are smoothing out a lot of the rough edges as well - wouldn't be completely against living there in the future. 

I was down that way a few months back and the changes look great, I was a kid when we left but my sister lived in Pennywell and there was quite big protests over the new school with the strong community spirit they  have.She got a nice house in Marine Drive but has now moved up to Easter Drylaw (posh end 😜). 

On 08/06/2009 at 16:19, Eckauskas said:

Greendykes for me.

Horrid little place.

Was a horrid little place. Not so much nowadays. 

Riddley Walker
1 hour ago, Locky said:

Where did you stay in Mussy? Up the North High Street seems the slightly rougher end of town. The bus stop at the Brunton looks like the Green Room at the Jeremy Kyle show. See some characters down the High Street but never seen anything bad at all really. Even if I've been down having a pint, it's a lot more civilised than Dalkeith, that's for sure.

I lived on Millhill behind the high street. Really liked it there. It was such a busy street for folk to pass through there was often something going on. My daughter goes to primary in Musselburgh so I'm still there all the time.

Like it here too. Live on the High Street with the beach 30 seconds away. Plenty characters kicking about.

Staggs is a good pub, used to go there quite a lot. Decent beers.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Jibbers said:

I grew up in Muirhouse in the 60s and 70s. Didn't seem that bad to me. Its different when you come from the area in question. Always got nervous when in West Pilton though. Having moved to Silverknowes three years ago I can see that Muirhouse and W Pilton are nowhere near as bad as they were. Most of Muirhouse, as was, has been knocked down. Including the Gunner.

Definitely improved the area. My old house 22/3 Muirhouse Drive was knocked down a long time ago. 

Many years ago when I started in the police places like Niddrie, Bingham and Craigmillar were pretty rough to live in, as for a while were some of the new developments which were created to house those who had been removed from old decrepit residences, which were described by some as slums. Living in these old areas was not easy, and if truth be told carried an aura of unrespectability which may have caused getting employment other than most menial. Living in a brand new home with modern facilities, own toilet, bathrooms, two or three bedrooms, would have to be an improvement, but it took time and newer generations to accept the difference. Uncomfortable for those who shared the space and people like myself who worked there. 

What has happened to Edinburgh that the comments on here are so widespread critical, Moredun for example was always nice with nice people, Greendykes certainly in my time of predominantly prefabs was the exact opposite of Niddrie of the day. Craigmillar was in a phase of change still some not so good ,but lots of nice people. All the Gilmerton area schemes had some behavioural problems but in he main were nice communities. In the past days it could be said what they are is what they are, look at where they came from. I don't see that as a cause for misbehaviour, because it simply is not the case.

Another thread referred to policing, again as I often say, jn  my time the policeman was generally a regular patrolman for the area, he knew the people good and bad, had a presence of authority about himself, and although not always liked by them, their disdain for him or her in some  way indicated a grudging respect, could this have something to do with the apparent litany of roughest places.

5 hours ago, Locky said:

Me and some mates used to drink in Dalkeith in the late 80's, always ended up in Hight Spots and the inevitable fight😅

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

For me it’s the upper side of Restalrig/Lochend by a long shot. Had a few horrendous experiences up there with my work.

It was fine for a fair few years but there's an increase in bams again.

It tends to go in cycles: families move in, have kids, kids grow up into wee shites and terrorise the neighbourhood until the inevitable murder or attempted murder then the families are evicted.

Just had a targeted stabbing in the area last week :fonzie:

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely improved the area. My old house 22/3 Muirhouse Drive was knocked down a long time ago. 

Same, I lived in the Crescent.

18 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Lived in Penicuik for a very short time. Fecking dump

A soulless dive that thinks it's the upper echelons of Midlothian.  There's a few decent villages in midlothian but are there any decent towns?  Loanhead the best of a bad bunch?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

A soulless dive that thinks it's the upper echelons of Midlothian.  There's a few decent villages in midlothian but are there any decent towns?  Loanhead the best of a bad bunch?

Loanhead is absolute turd as well

Tenaciousdandy
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Loanhead is absolute turd as well

Bonnyrigg? Lol used to enjoy the roses club, knitten is an alright village town, Gorebridge is a hell hole tho lol 

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, Jibbers said:

Same, I lived in the Crescent.

It was so long ago I had to google it to make sure, that and old age 🙈