• muirhouse
    • granton
    • pilton
    • drylaw
    • dumbiedykes
    • Clermiston
    • sighthhill
    • other (please state)

I was talking to my Mum about this earlier on. We used to live in Wardieburn and it was a decent area. Now it and Royston Mains are pretty bad.

It all depends where you know, Craigmillar and Niddrie always seemed pretty bad to me.

And as mentioned by someone else The Fort could get a bit lively, though I had lots of good mates from there when I was at school.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tenaciousdandy

• Pasquale for King

• speedbump

• martoon

I once did a full circle on the 52.

Hard as nails!

:10900:

Yes but you are a bus driver are you not?:10900:

I once did a full circle on the 52.

Hard as nails!

:10900:

I used to do the full circle on the 1 quite a lot. If I got on at the top of North Junction Street at the start of first afternoon period it got me back there just in time for everyone getting on it after school finished so I could chum them back home.

Tazio.

Truancy genius.

edinburgh is wonderful apart fi hibs ..... u know the rest.

Theres bad bits all over i would say pilton , leith , niddrie , wester hails are the worst but there are other areas equally as bad

Hearts of Vladland

IMO nothing happens in Sighthill (not the flats). The flats give 'Sighthill' a bad name.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

See the people that say Leith .... have you ever actually been to Leith?!

It's a nice place to live and has everything you could want right at your front door.

Just so you know, Hibs aren't Leith. They are Lochend and that is a bit of a sh*thole.

Strongly disagree , Leith is a hole.

May I ask where you live?

YLT ya bam. :D

Seriously though, I love living in Leith .... good boozers, decent shopping centre, plenty super markets, cinema, 2 parks, not a lot of bother (seriously).

Downsides - Banana flats and Great Junction St.

Nowhere near as bad as some of the hell holes mentioned on this thread.

Broomhouse - Handy if you want to buy a gun out the back of a van.:10900:

Could I have 2 cones, a chocolate wafer, a big bottle of Irn Bru, a DVD of Anal Adventures Volume 3, an eighth of green and a Smith & Wesson 38. Raspberry on the cones please.

You have to love ice-cream vans.

Seriously though, I love living in Leith .... good boozers, decent shopping centre, plenty super markets, cinema, 2 parks, not a lot of bother (seriously).

OK , I would choose Leith before a lot of the places mentioned on this thread and the wife is halfers on a flat in gt junction st but i prefer sunny craigleith.

Could I have 2 cones, a chocolate wafer, a big bottle of Irn Bru, a DVD of Anal Adventures Volume 3, an eighth of green and a Smith & Wesson 38. Raspberry on the cones please.

You have to love ice-cream vans.

Balerno comes to mind actually. The only place I know where a boy was murdered in cold blood by a gang of youths (one of whom was the son of a senior ranking police officer).

bajthejambo
See the people that say Leith .... have you ever actually been to Leith?!

It's a nice place to live and has everything you could want right at your front door.

Just so you know, Hibs aren't Leith. They are Lochend and that is a bit of a sh*thole.

Couldn't agree more. I live down The Shore and it's great.

Leith isn't rough at all.

It's a great place to live, you just have to take the weirdos on Great Junction Street as they come and laugh at them.

supernoodle
Balerno comes to mind actually. The only place I know where a boy was murdered in cold blood by a gang of youths (one of whom was the son of a senior ranking police officer).

I think a group of young team done similar in Piershill actually, it's pretty scary there.

I don't know where's the worst, never been to many of the areas mentioned but am in total agreement with those who say it's definitely not Leith!! I love living in Leith!! New bar brasserie on Constitution St well worth visiting btw, Leith Lynx it's called, the scran is well good!!!

I agree, to an extent here.

Living in Leith is quite good, 10 minutes walking distance to the town centre, a cinema just up the road, etc, etc.

Also, living so close to the parks mean a short limp home after football.

Although, I have to admit, it would probably be the same for anyone living anywhere near the city centre.

I agree, to an extent here.

Living in Leith is quite good, 10 minutes walking distance to the town centre, a cinema just up the road, etc, etc.

Also, living so close to the parks mean a short limp home after football.

Although, I have to admit, it would probably be the same for anyone living anywhere near the city centre.

You probably could say that but it just shows that Leith isn't even comparable to most of the places in this poll.

I think what makes it a bit better than your average area close to the centre of town is the Shore. Top class place for a drink/something to eat ... one of the finest parts of Edinburgh. Also a stones throw from Arthur Seat.

The Mighty Thor
I was talking to my Mum about this earlier on. We used to live in Wardieburn and it was a decent area. Now it and Royston Mains are pretty bad.

It all depends where you know, Craigmillar and Niddrie always seemed pretty bad to me.

And as mentioned by someone else The Fort could get a bit lively, though I had lots of good mates from there when I was at school.

To be fair Tazio Royston, Wardieburn and Granton have alway been pretty rough. They were rough as feck 30 years ago when i was a laddie.

Mind you it's all about perspective. I grew up round there, went to Royston primary etc and thought it was great. Looking back 25-30 years on it was rough as, but as a wee boy you don't know any better. I used to deliver papers round Wardieburn and Royston, nowadays i wouldn't drive through it!

The Mighty Thor

Ah one can almost smell the almost hobo-esque mythological romanticism of the leefers. Well actually a proper leefer knows the place is a ****-hole and it's only the interlopers that bang on about how cool and trendy it is.

Waxing lyrical about an area that has been a ****-hole for the last century or so is fine and well but the reality is that ocean terminal is but a shiny bauble on the dirty old mantelpiece of Leith.

There's a fair few budding Irvine Welsh's on here tonight!

joe.gausden
To be fair Tazio Royston, Wardieburn and Granton have alway been pretty rough. They were rough as feck 30 years ago when i was a laddie.

Mind you it's all about perspective. I grew up round there, went to Royston primary etc and thought it was great. Looking back 25-30 years on it was rough as, but as a wee boy you don't know any better. I used to deliver papers round Wardieburn and Royston, nowadays i wouldn't drive through it!

I grew up in East Pilton and went to granton primary probably round about the same time as you. I'd say Royston is far worse now than when i was growing up. Also can't believe people think West Pilton (where i now stay) is that bad, it was a lot worse 25-30 years ago than it is now.

I put Leith as I lived in Fort House for a couple of years. Also stayed in Dalmeny Street and that was full of bams.

Come to think of it, I was brought up in calder flats till 8, then moved to Gracemount, Fort, East Pilton, Dalmeny Street, Piershill, then Clermiston. Fort was by far the worst, Scarey scarey place back then, probably still is

The Mighty Thor
I grew up in East Pilton and went to granton primary probably round about the same time as you. I'd say Royston is far worse now than when i was growing up. Also can't believe people think West Pilton (where i now stay) is that bad, it was a lot worse 25-30 years ago than it is now.

If 68 is your year of birth (same as me) and you went to Ainslie Park then you'll probably have been there at the same time as me.

joe.gausden
If 68 is your year of birth (same as me) and you went to Ainslie Park then you'll probably have been there at the same time as me.

It is and i did.:10900:

joe.gausden
Good Stuff.

Inch Garvie rools ya bass!

I was in inchcolm until they done away with it (3rd year i think) then was put into inchgarvie.

Think you'll find it was more of a fight that got out of hand......

It is and i did.:10900:

I went to Ainsley Park in the '60's, hated the bloody place! Happiest day of my life was when i left to start working.

Say What Again
I put Leith as I lived in Fort House for a couple of years.

My mate stayed there many years ago.

I remember one Xmas Day someone lobbed a boy over the balcony from a couple of floors up.

i say pretty much that whole northern part of edinburgh (granton,pilton,drylaw,muirhouse). i differentiate between them,its all the same place to me. the thing with edinburgh seems is that you could be walking through a hell hole one minute,but when you get to the end of the street and turn the corner you are in a affluent area? bizarre!

Groatallar

Corstorphine Hill can be pretty wild at times but that's because it is a nature reserve :stuart:

I grew up in Clerie when it was rough but it's generally quite nice apart from the odd knifepoint robbery of take-away delivery drivers.

Of all the places mentioned, I think the Inch due the most recent news I've heard.

thehibsareintheirbeds

moved to gilmerton a year ago and not had any hassle yet i have to say.

stayed on the edges of a few rougher arears over the years- leith (near the fort), the inch, drylaw, magdalene but pilton wins hands down. stayed at my mates in west pilton for a bit a few years ago and there was everything from the weekly skip/sofa in the street being set on fire to street warfare and murders.

:th_o:

Jeremy Goss

Leith covers quite a large area and does have it's dodgy areas (the fort and to a lesser extent the Banana flats). No way it should be classed as the roughest.

Id say the Piershill squares are pretty dodgy to venture into at night however areas such as Greendykes and Broomhouse are the worst.

Just aswell this thread isn't about Glasgow, as there wouldn't be enough poll options.

Just aswell this thread isn't about Glasgow, as there wouldn't be enough poll options.

hahaha :10900:

Glamorgan Jambo

Is Saughton mains considered part of Sighthill these days? That would be my joint nomination with Pilton.

All those referring to Niddrie need to be clear whether they're talking about Niddrie Mains or Niddrie Marischal. Niddrie Marischal is, according to my Mum, a posh bit, while Niddrie Mains is full of lowlife. No prizes for guessing where she wwas brought up.

Are the Gracie flats being pulled down?

Lived in Fala Court for 25 years

They are going soon.

Pete Seeger

Are the flats down at Greendykes still lived in? They must be the next to go. An absolute eyesore.

Are the Gracie flats being pulled down?

Lived in Fala Court for 25 years

Soutra Court first, all the windows are out.

Cannae wait ****my flats.

Guest jambomickey
Soutra Court first, all the windows are out.

Cannae wait ****my flats.

pretty rough there right enough pauline.:57:

pretty rough there right enough pauline.:57:

Ah its no that bad!:10900:

Spent all my life in the Burdie/southhouse, gilmerton gracemount area. It has its bad parts but the folk in general are good people!

Guest jambomickey
Ah its no that bad!:10900:

Spent all my life in the Burdie/southhouse, gilmerton gracemount area. It has its bad parts but the folk in general are good people!

don't doubt that the vast majority of the people will be good folk mate.

don't doubt that the vast majority of the people will be good folk mate.

same as Mayfield aswell am sure!

One incident doesn't make a place 'rough' or generally a bad place to live.

Balerno is a picnic. Infact even compared to my neck of the woods I'd go as far as to say its quite posh.

Gracemount = rough as

****ing ****hole :rifle:

Anybody Know when the high flats are being demolished?

I got chased by a gang of about 15 boys up at gracemount once. Completely unprovoked.

I got a few punches in to get away then ran like ******.

These days I've got alot of mates from gracemount area, it has quietened down alot recently.

Niddrie has it seems maintained its reputation for well over sixty years that I know of. Craigmillar had its moments as did the Niddrie suburbs of Niddrie Marischal, Greendykes, and even Bingham, but none of these matched the mother ship Niddrie Mains.::rifle: