• granton
    • pilton
    • drylaw
    • dumbiedykes
    • Clermiston
    • sighthhill
    • other (please state)

26 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Bonnyrigg? Lol used to enjoy the roses club, knitten is an alright village town, Gorebridge is a hell hole tho lol 

A pal moved to Gorebridge a while back as they didn’t want to bring their kids up in the city as it’s too dangerous with drugs and violence. 
All very well but I’m not sure they’ve made the wisest choice to keep their kids away from drugs and violence. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tenaciousdandy

• Pasquale for King

• speedbump

• martoon

29 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Bonnyrigg? Lol used to enjoy the roses club, knitten is an alright village town, Gorebridge is a hell hole tho lol 

Doubler 

Edited by Tazio

4 hours ago, Jamboross said:

I'm round the corner from you on Inveresk Road and have seen the odd thing involving groups of teenagers usually pissed up scraps when they emerge from Lewisvale Park on a Friday night but nothing major. Council have been trying to buy up a few of the flats around here that have gone on the market in the last year so hopefully they're not planning on relocating the dregs of the town up this way. They can keep them down at Fisherrow! 

I was right on the corner of Inveresk Road/Dalrymple Loan until February, then the landlord put that up for sale. You maybe know the flat I mean. I'm in the brown 'newer' build flats right there. I moved from that corner to just 2 stairs further down. Didn't know the council had been buying some of the houses. Some lovely places in these streets.

3 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

I lived on Millhill behind the high street. Really liked it there. It was such a busy street for folk to pass through there was often something going on. My daughter goes to primary in Musselburgh so I'm still there all the time.

Like it here too. Live on the High Street with the beach 30 seconds away. Plenty characters kicking about.

Staggs is a good pub, used to go there quite a lot. Decent beers.

Know where you are. It looks nice over there too. My wee one goes to school in Porty and I've made the effort to walk there to pick her up, so pass through often. Been in Staggs a couple of times, but I've grown fond of Sportsmans. Doesn't seem to have the best rep, but it's alright tbh. Shows the football, and can't go wrong at £2.70 a pint of Amstel. (pre-Covid).

5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

It does indeed, the area has progressed a lot too. We used to vote in Niddrie Primary and it did feel tiny. 

Lovely building, the old NMP. Flats now, I believe. 

I think they share a new build with St. Franny's now. We used to pump them rotten in the '78/79 season. 1-7 on the pitch behind their old school, iirc.

I might have scored but I doubt it. 😊

Edited by martoon

26 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

The worst places named on this thread are like Mayfair compared to Easterhouse, Castlemilk, Paisley etc.

Correct, my wife come from Greenock, now there's areas there that are just beyond belief.

My brother in law is headmaster in Port Glasgow, my god what a place😞

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Correct, my wife come from Greenock, now there's areas there that are just beyond belief.

Always said the same.

Our "rough area's" (I've lived in some and spent time in others through family/friends) are like Disneyland compared to other cities. 

Edited by martoon

35 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Had my last pub fight in The Waverley in Bonnyrigg years and years ago. Me and the boys from Penicuik plus a bunch of Bonnyrigg lads vs. a team from Gorebridge and Nitten. That one got a bit tasty: chairs, tables, glasses, knives, the lot. About 30 of us got huckled and all taken to Dalkeith cells together. Let out at the same time as well, which I didnt think was the smartest move i've seen LBP make. 

Some of the Midlothian towns will surprise you for where you can get into serious trouble if you don't know what you're doing. I lived in Penicuik from 1996 - 2003, my best mates and family still live there, and I've seen some crazy shit.

Tenaciousdandy
30 minutes ago, trotter said:

Had my last pub fight in The Waverley in Bonnyrigg years and years ago. Me and the boys from Penicuik plus a bunch of Bonnyrigg lads vs. a team from Gorebridge and Nitten. That one got a bit tasty: chairs, tables, glasses, knives, the lot. About 30 of us got huckled and all taken to Dalkeith cells together. Let out at the same time as well, which I didnt think was the smartest move i've seen LBP make. 

Some of the Midlothian towns will surprise you for where you can get into serious trouble if you don't know what you're doing. I lived in Penicuik from 1996 - 2003, my best mates and family still live there, and I've seen some crazy shit.

Yeah not the brightest move, I remember when I worked in the old meal in Dalkeith, the police would sit in the taxi rank opposite what used to be peppermint park waiting for all the fighting to finish after they all spilled out there, the meal and the black bull  then go pick up the bodies and toss them in the car 😂

Tenaciousdandy
56 minutes ago, Tazio said:

A pal moved to Gorebridge a while back as they didn’t want to bring their kids up in the city as it’s too dangerous with drugs and violence. 
All very well but I’m not sure they’ve made the wisest choice to keep their kids away from drugs and violence. 

Definitely not lol I'd much prefer the city tbh,altho you get your good and your bad everywhere 

Edited by Dandyman79

Pasquale for King
59 minutes ago, martoon said:

Lovely building, the old NMP. Flats now, I believe. 

I think they share a new build with St. Franny's now. We used to pump them rotten in the '78/79 season. 1-7 on the pitch behind their old school, iirc.

I might have scored but I doubt it. 😊

Yeah it is flats, wouldn’t mind a nosey. The land behind it was a huge area and has quite a few houses on it. 
New school looks great. Most memorable game against them was a loss up at there’s when a lassie standing behind their goal stopped a shot of mine from going and their ref didn’t give a goal 🤷🏾‍♂️🤬
I think I may have used to much profanity for the Janny, my mate left a boot in the dressing room so we went back to get it and the Janny got the bus back along without us. We had to walk, not that far but at 10yo it seemed like it. I think my dad went to see him and I was a permanent sub from then on, even though I was playing for E#!n@ H1b5 🤫🙈 (so he could go to the Jewel Miners and get pished). 

Riddley Walker
1 hour ago, Locky said:

I was right on the corner of Inveresk Road/Dalrymple Loan until February, then the landlord put that up for sale. You maybe know the flat I mean. I'm in the brown 'newer' build flats right there. I moved from that corner to just 2 stairs further down. Didn't know the council had been buying some of the houses. Some lovely places in these streets.

Know where you are. It looks nice over there too. My wee one goes to school in Porty and I've made the effort to walk there to pick her up, so pass through often. Been in Staggs a couple of times, but I've grown fond of Sportsmans. Doesn't seem to have the best rep, but it's alright tbh. Shows the football, and can't go wrong at £2.70 a pint of Amstel. (pre-Covid).

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Aye man, the Sportsman is a decent pub, really good option as you say for a cheap pint and the football. We were looking at a flat just round the corner from you before we moved here, nearly stuck an offer in. Nice area and handy for Tesco and bus etc.

I used to bus it through niddry twice a day for college in 2000.  I honestly didn't recognise it in about 2015 when I went through it.  Looks much better now. 

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I spent some time in Gorebridge. You might drive through it and think its a pretty village and its near the country and you'll get 4 bedrooms instead of 2 and your flexible working pattern will help you dodge the worst of the traffic and you're not moving out there to go to the pubs anyway, and all that,  and then your kids have a run in with the family along the road and start getting a hard time at school, at which point you realise that half the village is related to that family and every teacher, including the heads are ****ing terrified of them and the police have given up with the lawless pondlife and the only chance your kids have now is if they become pals with them. Which is worse. 

**** that. 

2 hours ago, Dandyman79 said:

Gorebridge is absolutely. Fine. Lived here for 5 years and not had any bother. Mind you I don't live shite grotty estate.

They are throwing up new builds up here that are going for £300k+ and they are getting snapped up. The clientele that buy these properties aren't scumbags.

Same with Bonnyrigg.

Same with Loanhead.

Same with Newtongrange.

Same with Penicuik.

On 08/06/2009 at 19:08, Cal_ said:

Colinton's pretty wild also

Agree with this. The Colinton Collective are quite mental. 

9 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I spent some time in Gorebridge. You might drive through it and think its a pretty village and its near the country and you'll get 4 bedrooms instead of 2 and your flexible working pattern will help you dodge the worst of the traffic and you're not moving out there to go to the pubs anyway, and all that,  and then your kids have a run in with the family along the road and start getting a hard time at school, at which point you realise that half the village is related to that family and every teacher, including the heads are ****ing terrified of them and the police have given up with the lawless pondlife and the only chance your kids have now is if they become pals with them. Which is worse. 

**** that. 

I saw similar when I lived in Winchburgh. My girlfriend’s brother in law had a falling out with a neighbour which became worse as he was from Broxburn. Not my problem but pretty soon I started getting dirty looks and comments if I went to the pub as I was guilty by association in their eyes. Then it threatened to escalate as his Broxburn crew were bang up for coming through to sort it out once and for all. Pretty much all the shit you’d expect when you were a teenager but these are people in their 30’s and 40’s acting like this. Luckily it all resolved itself in time as the feuding neighbours made up and discovered they actually liked each other. But of course this pissed off the bampots who missed the fun of the potential battle. Battle in his context of course meaning the potential to jump someone on their own. 

Weakened Offender
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I saw similar when I lived in Winchburgh. My girlfriend’s brother in law had a falling out with a neighbour which became worse as he was from Broxburn. Not my problem but pretty soon I started getting dirty looks and comments if I went to the pub as I was guilty by association in their eyes. Then it threatened to escalate as his Broxburn crew were bang up for coming through to sort it out once and for all. Pretty much all the shit you’d expect when you were a teenager but these are people in their 30’s and 40’s acting like this. Luckily it all resolved itself in time as the feuding neighbours made up and discovered they actually liked each other. But of course this pissed off the bampots who missed the fun of the potential battle. Battle in his context of course meaning the potential to jump someone on their own. 

They're everywhere, aren't they? Wouldn't last 5 minutes on their own.

Seeing people suggest Drylaw (my old residence), and Broomhouse (current) is hilarious to me. I’ve always been a bit of a shitebag but if I can do 21 years in those places, they’re not that bad

2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I’m originally from Hamilton, which, though far from beautiful, isn’t too bad really. But there are some proper rough-as-a badger’s arse places elsewhere in the county. The likes of Craigneuk and Holytown look pretty grim.

I was in Port Glasgow a few years back. Houses are dirt cheap there and it was full of pawn brokers and betting shops.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Cade said:

It was fine for a fair few years but there's an increase in bams again.

It tends to go in cycles: families move in, have kids, kids grow up into wee shites and terrorise the neighbourhood until the inevitable murder or attempted murder then the families are evicted.

Just had a targeted stabbing in the area last week :fonzie:

Think I’ve probably put it on here before. I had a girl about maybe 15 years old🤷‍♂️ try to stab me in the face with a screwdriver in Restalrig Drive. I had a couple who shut me in their living room (Sleigh Drive)and try to set a staffie on me.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

50 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Think I’ve probably put it on here before. I had a girl about maybe 15 years old🤷‍♂️ try to stab me in the face with a screwdriver in Restalrig Drive. I had a couple who shut me in their living room (Sleigh Drive)and try to set a staffie on me.

That’ll be the last time you answer a newspaper advert for dogging. 

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That’ll be the last time you answer a newspaper advert for dogging. 

:rofl:the staffie was the prettiest thing in the house, also the only thing that had teeth😁

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah it is flats, wouldn’t mind a nosey. The land behind it was a huge area and has quite a few houses on it. 
New school looks great. Most memorable game against them was a loss up at there’s when a lassie standing behind their goal stopped a shot of mine from going and their ref didn’t give a goal 🤷🏾‍♂️🤬
I think I may have used to much profanity for the Janny, my mate left a boot in the dressing room so we went back to get it and the Janny got the bus back along without us. We had to walk, not that far but at 10yo it seemed like it. I think my dad went to see him and I was a permanent sub from then on, even though I was playing for E#!n@ H1b5 🤫🙈 (so he could go to the Jewel Miners and get pished). 

Janny (Mr. Muir) was a good bloke. 

I was in the same class as one of his sons. Johnny, iirc. Smashing wee footballer. 

As I mentioned in a previous exchange, PfK, I only lived in the area for a year and it was a good one.

The NMP kids were great. 

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, martoon said:

Janny (Mr. Muir) was a good bloke. 

I was in the same class as one of his sons. Johnny, iirc. Smashing wee footballer. 

As I mentioned in a previous exchange, PfK, I only lived in the area for a year and it was a good one.

The NMP kids were great. 

Don’t think it was him, can’t remember his name 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️

5 hours ago, Dandyman79 said:

Yeah not the brightest move, I remember when I worked in the old meal in Dalkeith, the police would sit in the taxi rank opposite what used to be peppermint park waiting for all the fighting to finish after they all spilled out there, the meal and the black bull  then go pick up the bodies and toss them in the car 😂

Christ, there's a blast from the past. Spent many a night in there  trying to get stuck into the dirties from Mayfield, the whole time with 'their boys' giving us the eye. 

I mind one night some boy came in with a baseball bat and went straight back out through the big window out front before he got near the lad he was going for. Good times :rofl:

Edited by trotter

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

**** that. 

Sounds a hoot.

17 hours ago, Locky said:

My current GF grew up in Woodburn Park. The Drive was still rough as anything when we stayed there. The Salters pub was just rammed full of neds most of the weekend, and then they'd all go to the Woodburn club. What a place.

Aye it's not a nice place on the weekends. We stayed 5-10 minute walk from the Woodburn club and the noise on a Friday or Saturday night was ridiculous. Especially in the summer when we slept with the window open. Could hardly catch a wink.

The streets around it are just a nightmare too. Everyone spills out at closing time, and it's just fighting, shagging and general noise.

The wife's uncle used to be the lead singer in the resident band at the Woodburn club. Had some great laughs there but there sure were a rough crowd, especially the women 

I note Muirhouse being posted as one of the rough area's on this thread. However, being born and bred in Muirhouse (Pennywell Medway) from the early 60's I honestly never felt it was that bad as some folk saying it is/was back then. 

Yes, there were local nightly gang fights etc between Pilton Derry, Mental Drylaw and Muirhouse but that was lads just being lads😁

Our front door was never locked until we went to our bed. Neighbours regularly popping into each others houses for a wee blether etc.

Enjoyed my upbringing in Muirhouse but obviously drugs weren't as prevalent as they are in today's society which imo is the downfall/problem these days in some of the deprived areas now unfortunately.  

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, XB52 said:

The wife's uncle used to be the lead singer in the resident band at the Woodburn club. Had some great laughs there but there sure were a rough crowd, especially the women 

Woodburn Club was always hooching with ***** in the 90s.

Weakened Offender

I don't think the territorialism that used to lead to a lot of violence back in the day still exists in Edinburgh today. Gorgie is quite rough during the day though, plenty of undesirables knocking about. 

The Inch 2002 to 2010 was pretty bad and a few of the young lads that caused a lot of trouble back then very quickly became front page news. 

1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

I note Muirhouse being posted as one of the rough area's on this thread. However, being born and bred in Muirhouse (Pennywell Medway) from the early 60's I honestly never felt it was that bad as some folk saying it is/was back then. 

Yes, there were local nightly gang fights etc between Pilton Derry, Mental Drylaw and Muirhouse but that was lads just being lads😁

Our front door was never locked until we went to our bed. Neighbours regularly popping into each others houses for a wee blether etc.

Enjoyed my upbringing in Muirhouse but obviously drugs weren't as prevalent as they are in today's society which imo is the downfall/problem these days in some of the deprived areas now unfortunately.  

Totally agree.

We moved to Muirhouse in 1963 when I was a toddler and lived there for 20 years.

What a great place to live. Loved growing up there. The woods and beach on your doorstep and the 5aside football leagues put on each weekend by guys from the community. Yes there were gang fights, but they kept that to themselves. Yes there were quite a few radges  knocking about, as was the case in most places, but it was easy to avoid them.

From mid 70’s onwards drugs and deprivation took a grip. I can recall a few unsavoury incidents in the vicinity of The Gunner.

As for Drylaw being in this list, you must be pretty sheltered to think it was a bad area. I always aspired to live in Drylaw as a boy !  Most of my family now live there and love it. “The Ferry Boat” was not representative of Drylaw.

I tended to get grief regularly at the crappy “walkways in the sky” flats at Granton opposite the gasworks. Awful housing concept and a muggers paradise.

Edited by Sirudi

10 minutes ago, Sirudi said:

Totally agree.

We moved to Muirhouse in 1963 when I was a toddler and lived there for 20 years.

What a great place to live. Loved growing up there. The woods and beach on your doorstep and the 5aside football leagues put on each weekend by guys from the community. Yes there were gang fights, but they kept that to themselves. Yes there were quite a few radges  knocking about, as was the case in most places, but it was easy to avoid them.

From mid 70’s onwards drugs and deprivation took a grip. I can recall a few unsavoury incidents in the vicinity of The Gunner.

As for Drylaw being in this list, you must be pretty sheltered to think it was a bad area. I always aspired to live in Drylaw as a boy !  Most of my family now live there and love it. “The Ferry Boat” was not representative of Drylaw.

I tended to get grief regularly at the crappy “walkways in the sky” flats at Granton opposite the gasworks. Awful housing concept and a muggers paradise.

Can't remember if it was on a Saturday or Sunday morning but loved it, our team were the Tigers played in maroon obviously with my dad being the coach😎

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

Born and bred in Gorebridge and it's nothing like when I was younger, yes it had it's radges but generally if you kept to yourself it was fine (if you went to the goth/hunterfield tavern then there was always the chance you'd get caught up in that days fight).

The whole village changed after they rebuild a whole area that was subsiding, they done the rebuild street by street by moving folk into portacabin style houses opposite arniston chippie, after the rebuild was completed the portacabins were meant to be removed but instead Midlothian council used them to charge edinburgh council as emergency housing and they ended up full of dealers from niddrie etc. Soon what had been a handful of junkies that generally kept to themselves became a huge drug problem in the village. Guys I knew that had only ever smoked weed were suddenly on smack.

I left 12 years ago and have no intentions of moving back that way, not least because it's all new build estates and hardly anywhere to go for a pint with only 1 actual pub left.

Edited by Ribble

Tenaciousdandy
7 hours ago, trotter said:

Christ, there's a blast from the past. Spent many a night in there  trying to get stuck into the dirties from Mayfield, the whole time with 'their boys' giving us the eye. 

I mind one night some boy came in with a baseball bat and went straight back out through the big window out front before he got near the lad he was going for. Good times :rofl:

Aye used tovalways end up there at some point of the night if you where looking to pull lol 

The bouncers in the Park took no shit lol occasionally the bouncers from the pub I work in across the road used to go over to lend a hand (basically just wanted to get involved in the action) 😂

Another good one was the salters for the Americans lol 

Edited by Dandyman79

7 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Aye used tovalways end up there at some point of the night if you where looking to pull lol 

The bouncers in the Park took no shit lol occasionally the bouncers from the pub I work in across the road used to go over to lend a hand (basically just wanted to get involved in the action) 😂

Another good one was the salters for the Americans lol 

The taxi rank opposite the park/old meal must have had more fights than anywhere else in Edinburgh, most nights we'd end up going for a 'sit-in' at the cavalier so that by the time we came out the taxi rank had cleared, otherwise it was  a case of standing back with a pizza and watching the chaos unfold

57 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Born and bred in Gorebridge and it's nothing like when I was younger, yes it had it's radges but generally if you kept to yourself it was fine (if you went to the goth/hunterfield tavern then there was always the chance you'd get caught up in that days fight).

The whole village changed after they rebuild a whole area that was subsiding, they done the rebuild street by street by moving folk into portacabin style houses opposite arniston chippie, after the rebuild was completed the portacabins were meant to be removed but instead Midlothian council used them to charge edinburgh council as emergency housing and they ended up full of dealers from niddrie etc. Soon what had been a handful of junkies that generally kept to themselves became a huge drug problem in the village. Guys I knew that had only ever smoked weed were suddenly on smack.

I left 12 years ago and have no intentions of moving back that way, not least because it's all new build estates and hardly anywhere to go for a pint with only 1 actual pub left.

The Tavern is reopening as a restaurant/pub/takeaway 👍

Stobsmill Inn up near the railway station is a great wee pub and The Coronation restaurant does a great pint of Best.

I live near the Gore Glen pitches and it's a great bit for a young family.

Tenaciousdandy
30 minutes ago, Ribble said:

The taxi rank opposite the park/old meal must have had more fights than anywhere else in Edinburgh, most nights we'd end up going for a 'sit-in' at the cavalier so that by the time we came out the taxi rank had cleared, otherwise it was  a case of standing back with a pizza and watching the chaos unfold

It was notorious for being a pagger rank, used to stand and watch the carnage from the pub window

Cavalier was always great for a late night sit in pasta or pizza 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
38 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

It was notorious for being a pagger rank, used to stand and watch the carnage from the pub window

Cavalier was always great for a late night sit in pasta or pizza 

The Park is still there, I was at school with the bouncer. Never been in decades.

Was in the Old Meal about 20 years ago, just me and 2 mates. Sitting at the bar were 2 couples (karaoke was on) and 2 bar staff working. The couples started fighting and I've got what it was about. One of the bar staff cleared our table of empties, smiled at us and said fun and games tonight.

The next time I went in was about 10 years ago. Someone was chopping up lines on their table, bar staff said you can't do that here, you've go to go to the toilet.  :rofl:

Tenaciousdandy
9 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

The Park is still there, I was at school with the bouncer. Never been in decades.

Was in the Old Meal about 20 years ago, just me and 2 mates. Sitting at the bar were 2 couples (karaoke was on) and 2 bar staff working. The couples started fighting and I've got what it was about. One of the bar staff cleared our table of empties, smiled at us and said fun and games tonight.

The next time I went in was about 10 years ago. Someone was chopping up lines on their table, bar staff said you can't do that here, you've go to go to the toilet.  :rofl:

Had one night where there wa a group of women sitting up the back and one of there exes came in and sat up top and it all kicked off, place was heeving and bouncers where stuck at the front door, had to jump the bar grab the guy and the speakers he was about to throw at his ex, got stabbed in the hand with a glass as well, not one of my favourite nights working, another time a guy swung at me with a old guys walking stick as me tried to say he'd already paid for his drinks when he hadn't and I took the pints off him, never a dull moment  😂😂

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Had one night where there wa a group of women sitting up the back and one of there exes came in and sat up top and it all kicked off, place was heeving and bouncers where stuck at the front door, had to jump the bar grab the guy and the speakers he was about to throw at his ex, got stabbed in the hand with a glass as well, not one of my favourite nights working, another time a guy swung at me with a old guys walking stick as me tried to say he'd already paid for his drinks when he hadn't and I took the pints off him, never a dull moment  😂😂

:lol: It was some place. Been a Willie Hills for a few years, now.

It used to be a bit of a bikers pub, when I first went (underage, late 80s). Always seemed ok, then, funnily enough.

Tenaciousdandy
10 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

:lol: It was some place. Been a Willie Hills for a few years, now.

It used to be a bit of a bikers pub, when I first went (underage, late 80s). Always seemed ok, then, funnily enough.

Yeah was a Chinese for a bit as well was it not, remember it being a bikers bar, I was to young then tho, had my first under age drink in there, then when i started working as I just turned 18 Louise the owner was like what the hell you've been drinking in here for nearly a year lol outwith all the trouble it was a great place to work when your a young lad lol 

Finished working there as it was raided by the police as drugs had been planted in the safe after a lovers spat lol turned up to locked doors then got a pjlhobe call saying it was closed, got asked to relocate to Galashiels to a pub there but decided against it and went to college instead lol 

Edited by Dandyman79

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Yeah was a Chinese for a bit as well was it not, remember it being a bikers bar, I was to young then tho, had my first under age drink in there, then when i started working as I just turned 18 Louise the owner was like what the hell you've been drinking in here for nearly a year lol outwith all the trouble it was a great place to work when your a young lad lol 

The Chinese is next door, Friendlies it's called. The Park was a Chinese, way back late 70s/early  80s. They torched the place for insurance, then it became what is now the Park.

2 hours ago, Sirudi said:

Totally agree.

From birth to age 16. Lived in the following streets. Will try and put in chronological order.

Ferry Road Avenue until aged 1.

Royston Mains Place aged 1-8( my parents broke up at this time. The year is 1971. For the next year lived in Livingston and Dalmuir West.

1972-1974 Ferry Road Place.

1974-1975 St Katherine's Loan Gracemount.

February 1975-October 1975, Canaan Lodge children's home, Canaan Lane Morningside.

October 1975-September 1979 Ferry Road Drive, the top end at Ferry Road.

An eventful childhood, but stood me in good stead for adulthood.

Between October 1979-July 2005, lived in various places in the Portsmouth area.

Returned to Edinburgh in 2005 and currently reside on the very edge of Royston, West Greanton Road.

Tenaciousdandy
3 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

The Chinese is next door, Friendlies it's called. The Park was a Chinese, way back late 70s/early  80s. They torched the place for insurance, then it became what is now the Park.

Oh yeah, for some reason I thought it was a takeaway briefly, I remember folk talking about the Park burning down before it was the Park 

1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

The Tavern is reopening as a restaurant/pub/takeaway 👍

Stobsmill Inn up near the railway station is a great wee pub and The Coronation restaurant does a great pint of Best.

I live near the Gore Glen pitches and it's a great bit for a young family.

The goth's been closed and re-opened a fair few times over the years, bizarrely it was when it first got a proper refurb that it really started to struggle! Taking a rough boozer where half the customers would cash their giro at the bar and making it look like the inside of a bar on george street wasn't ever going to work.

Bruntons (stobsmill inn) was always a decent wee boozer, used to be a sunday starting point for some hangover scran, then onto porters to watch the fitba all afternoon/early evening before heading upto wilmos in the main street and occasionally end the night at the goth.

Corrie being just a restaurant will always stick in the craw with me, used to be a local boozer one side and food the other, owner left a fair number of regulars high and dry after a refurb as he never once indicated that he was closing the bar side.

4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

From birth to age 16. Lived in the following streets. Will try and put in chronological order.

Ferry Road Avenue until aged 1.

Royston Mains Place aged 1-8( my parents broke up at this time. The year is 1971. For the next year lived in Livingston and Dalmuir West.

1972-1974 Ferry Road Place.

1974-1975 St Katherine's Loan Gracemount.

February 1975-October 1975, Canaan Lodge children's home, Canaan Lane Morningside.

October 1975-September 1979 Ferry Road Drive, the top end at Ferry Road.

An eventful childhood, but stood me in good stead for adulthood.

Between October 1979-July 2005, lived in various places in the Portsmouth area.

Returned to Edinburgh in 2005 and currently reside on the very edge of Royston, West Greanton Road.

You going all posh on us now John🤣