• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jack D and coke
Loyal TA are cranking up the boos. :th_love:

Greatest fans* in the world.

* International

mod delete

The Netherlands are three up at half-time and looking comfortable for five. The crowd at the Wales Germany match is tiny.

Drylaw Hearts
Can you back that up? I dont believe that was the case. I dont remember too many OF players in the 78 WC team.

1978 Scotland World Cup Squad had 3 Rangers players and NO Celtic players and 4 Man Utd players.

1974 Scotland World Cup Squad had 1 Rangers player, 4 Celtic players and 5 Leeds Utd players.

It's another one of those shockingly inaccurate FACTS by Therapist.

mod delete

No need for personal abuse. Let's keep it civil.

feck The Apprentice oh ye of little faith..the football's on...the other? well that's what a sky plus box is for :sorcerer:

1978 Scotland World Cup Squad had 3 Rangers players and NO Celtic players and 4 Man Utd players.

1974 Scotland World Cup Squad had 1 Rangers player, 4 Celtic players and 5 Leeds Utd players.

Check my post.

I never claimed the squads were filled with OF players. What I said was the Anglos had to be considerably better than their OF equivalents.

I trust this clarifies matters to your satisfaction.

PresidentRomanov

Therapist never said there was more old firm players, he said they were considered first, then the anglos - he's right too.

slashishere
Check my post.

I never claimed the squads were filled with OF players. What I said was the Anglos had to be considerably better than their OF equivalents.

No you didnt........

Correct Pres.

In the days when Scotland had a decent team - pre 1980 - the pecking order used to be

1. OF players

2. Anglos

Despite the fact many of the Anglos were playing for Nottingham Forest and Liverpool, both of whom had recently won the European Cup.

Therapist never said there was more old firm players, he said they were considered first, then the anglos - he's right too.

Sounds like picking the best players available doesn't it?

No you didnt........

Correct Pres.

In the days when Scotland had a decent team - pre 1980 - the pecking order used to be

1. OF players

2. Anglos

Despite the fact many of the Anglos were playing for Nottingham Forest and Liverpool, both of whom had recently won the European Cup.

Check post #41.

I expect an apology.

Eh?

So the manager looked at Old Firm players but picked the best team available? Not exactly considering them ahead of anyone, especially when they end up not being picked.

Drylaw Hearts
Check my post.

No you didnt........

Correct Pres.

1. OF players

2. Anglos

So to get picked for a Scotland Squad pre-1980 an Anglo based player had to better than an OF player ?

And guess what.........

There were plenty of Anglo based players picked for both Squads.

Hold the front page...................................

Are Miller and Fletcher auditioning for bambi on ice?? Stay on your feet you useless feckers. Thank christ for the wide players!

So the manager looked at Old Firm players but picked the best team available? Not exactly considering them ahead of anyone, especially when they end up not being picked.

My final post on this side issue.........

IF you are old enough you will remember the Anglos v Home players arguments that used to dominate the press at the time when it came to selecting Scotland squads. The fact of the matter was that home Scots - particularly OF players - were in pole position when it came to selection. The fact many of them weren't selected was due to the fact their Anglo counterparts were clearly better players. The fact of the matter is that if there were two players of equal ability the OF player would get selected ahead of the Anglo.

If you don't believe me go and research the sports pages of the time. The fact is that - as usual - I am absolutely right. I doubt any of you have are even aware of the concept of an "Anglo Scot".

portobellojambo1

Latest scores =

England 1 Ukraine 0

Wales 0 Germany 2

Northern Ireland 0 Slovenia 0

Italy 1 Republic of Ireland 0 (Italy have had some punter sent off).

Drylaw Hearts

IF you are old enough you will remember the Anglos v Home players arguments that used to dominate the press at the time when it came to selecting Scotland squads. The fact of the matter was that home Scots - particularly OF players - were in pole position when it came to selection. The fact many of them weren't selected was due to the fact their Anglo counterparts were clearly better players. The fact of the matter is that if there were two players of equal ability the OF player would get selected ahead of the Anglo.

If you don't believe me go and research the sports pages of the time. The fact is that - as usual - I am absolutely right. I doubt any of you have are even aware of the concept of an "Anglo Scot".

Sigh.

Great to get a goal before halftime. Hopefully we can get another to give us a cushion.

C'mon Scotland!

btw, Give the trolling a rest guys.

jack D and coke

Its something i'm very aware of and Dave Mackay talks about it in his book however your examples have had more holes than a 2nd hand dartboard.

slashishere

If only!

portobellojambo1
Hows craigy boy doing?

Not had an awful lot to do, but what he has had to do he has performed comfortably. Good handling at two early cross balls.

Drylaw Hearts

Incidentally..........

The OF numbers for the following WC's :

1982 - 2

1986 - 3

1990 - 4

Which is about average going by the numbers picked during the 70's and possibly even earlier WC's.

Things only really changed in 1998 when the OF dominated the squad with a total of 9.

Its something i'm very aware of and Dave Mackay talks about it in his book however your examples have had more holes than a 2nd hand dartboard.

Not sure I really want to join this debate, but there is some truth to Therapist's comments. I just think he picked the wrong decade as his example. It was a much bigger issue in the 60's than in the 70's. There were so many good players in England winning European competition's in the 70's it was impossible to ignore them.

The Vulture

Sat here 'working' at my desk, hoping that we get a second which will hopefully set up second place in the group.......

I feel a second goal is on its way.....

slashishere
Hutton should've scored there! He's playing really well though.

Yeah fair play, I doubted if he should be playing but proving me wrong so far.

Big_Hearts_Runner

Goal goal from their point of view....

McManus skinned!

how gash is s.fletcher, honestly, how does he get in the squad, he's scored about 8 SPL goals all season, really really gash

how gash is s.fletcher, honestly, how does he get in the squad, he's scored about 8 SPL goals all season, really really gash

Get a grip. Real Madrid don't sign diddies. :sorcerer:

Archived