TARTAN ARMADA

Morry

shaun.lawson
Late nineties shaun - every tartan dressed idiot legged it that evening while families were taking a sore one.

Took a lot of sorting out.

I can imagine! Did it make the news at all? It's interesting because it was only shortly after a sea change in media attitudes to England fans after what happened in Rome when we qualified; and North Africans lay in ambush for hundreds of English in Marseille the following summer. The police not only failed to help - but at times were pointing English fans down roads where Tunisian and Algerian thugs were lying in wait.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dr. Bapswent
No it doesn't jamie but when guys who can't defend themselves due to having their children with them are struggling to contain an onslaught what are you meant to do?

you know me well enough to know I don't go looking for trouble.

Think you took that a little too personally.

I made no suggestion about you or any specific situation.

Walter Kidd
I can imagine! Did it make the news at all? It's interesting because it was only shortly after a sea change in media attitudes to England fans after what happened in Rome when we qualified; and North Africans lay in ambush for hundreds of English in Marseille the following summer. The police not only failed to help - but at times were pointing English fans down roads where Tunisian and Algerian thugs were lying in wait.

I watched the scotland norway game in alain giresses boozer in bordeaux with eight lads from england as they were sickened by marseille.

Half the idiots in the tartan army wouldn't know a football game if it hit them in the pus.

Doctor FinnBarr

I can believe that Shaun cos the frogs are a shower of MOD EDITS. Auld Alliance my erse, they hate us too!

:saddam:

And before I forget, the Auld Alliance only existed for the good of France because it held back English troops from being posted to France!

Because of course the French police are so well known for their enlightened attitudes towards the French immigrant population. I would propose that the French police dislike Algerians more than the English.

shaun.lawson
I can believe that Shaun cos the frogs are a shower of MOD EDITS. Auld Alliance my erse, they hate us too!

:saddam:

You have no idea how much pleasure I took when London beat Paris to the Olympics. It was just beautiful. And the last time I was in Paris, I tried speaking French in an ice cream shop - only for the bartender to launch into a sarcastic round of applause. I wouldn't mind, but it was in the Champs Elysees, and everyone there is either English or American!

shaun.lawson
Because of course the French police are so well known for their enlightened attitudes towards the French immigrant population. I would propose that the French police dislike Algerians more than the English.

That's very true. But when England are in town, what I'd call "hooligan psychosis" takes over. Local hooligans emerge from all over the place attracted by England's "reputation"; police panic, and have an utterly jaundiced view of us because of said reputation too. So they either violently overreact, or descend into shambles.

Not for a moment am I suggesting England fans are all angels; far, far from it. But most of the damage was done in the 70s and 80s. Since then, we've largely cleaned up our act - but our reputation still precedes us wherever we go. Most recently in Moscow: the amount of English who were attacked (including women, incidentally) was just appalling.

portobellojambo1
International matches were more important to me when I was younger for some reason.

That is how I remember it as well dave. I don't know if it was because when I was younger it often transpired that someone else (parents) were providing the finance for such things (or on certain occasions my old man actually took me). I think maybe the novelty started wearing off after I started working and had to pay my own way, cannot really remember though.

I think it is just one of those things, you are either interested in international football or you are not, for whatever reason, don't really think it is anything more sinister than that.

If you don't get a buzz out of attending Scotland games, be it at Hampden or away from home, I don't really see the point in going just because you were born here. I never get the urge to go watch The Scottish National Orchestra, Scottish Ballet or Scottish Opera, for the same reasons, doesn't really interest me.

I would travel from here to wherever to watch Hearts, and always get a buzz, whatever the result. Just my thing, although as someone has said earlier in the thread maybe I do as I do because I know nothing about football (despite the fact most of my disposable income is taken up by it by one means or another), in fact I might even just be a Unionist bigot disgracing the name of HMFC by taking such a stance. I really didn't realise that if you lived in Scotland but didn't go to Scotland games by definition you are not a proper football fan, but you live and learn something new every day.

Pete Seeger
I am not against the Scottish national team as such Shaun, I can just no longer get excited about them either, I am neither up nor down if they win or lose, I really don't care.

Yet strangely, and it is something I cannot explain, if I were not going to Ibrox tomorrow I would sit and watch the England v Scotland rugby match passionately hoping for a Scotland win. As I say I cannot explain it in any way. When a Scottish national team competes in any other sport I watch with interest to see how they get on (e.g. when Scotland got a team into the cricket World Cup I watched to see how they did, similarly I watched the Scotland games in the recent (ish) Rugby League World Cup in Australia to see how we got on, etc. etc.) but with Scottish international football I just cannot get into it any more. It may have something to do with the fact an element of the support have turned supporting the Scottish football team into something more political, are using the team to try and make a statement, I really don't know, but I just cannot get excited at all.

Football wise my interest is Hearts, the week in week out stuff, rather than switching on once or twice every two or three months, or whatever.

Have some good memories of Scotland games I have attended, also some bad ones, but those are all way in the past now. I think the last Scotland game I was at was Scotland versus Russia at Hampden, at a wild guess mid 90's (finished 1-1), and if I am honest I was bored out of my skull.

Thats my views on the national team. I'm not anti Scotland but I couldn't care less about the national football side anymore. I think I'd boak if I had to cheer on scrotes like Ferguson and Brown.

If Gordon doesn't play I hope they get thumped.

davemclaren
That is how I remember it as well dave. I don't know if it was because when I was younger it often transpired that someone else (parents) were providing the finance for such things (or on certain occasions my old man actually took me). I think maybe the novelty started wearing off after I started working and had to pay my own way, cannot really remember though.

I think it is just one of those things, you are either interested in international football or you are not, for whatever reason, don't really think it is anything more sinister than that.

If you don't get a buzz out of attending Scotland games, be it at Hampden or away from home, I don't really see the point in going just because you were born here. I never get the urge to go watch The Scottish National Orchestra, Scottish Ballet or Scottish Opera, for the same reasons, doesn't really interest me.

I would travel from here to wherever to watch Hearts, and always get a buzz, whatever the result. Just my thing, although as someone has said earlier in the thread maybe I do as I do because I know nothing about football (despite the fact most of my disposable income is taken up by it by one means or another), in fact I might even just be a Unionist bigot disgracing the name of HMFC by taking such a stance. I really didn't realise that if you lived in Scotland but didn't go to Scotland games by definition you are not a proper football fan, but you live and learn something new every day.

I'm certainly far more of a Hearts than a Scotland supporter. And I'm not particularly a Unionist nor a Bigot (imo). :earmuffs:

Pete Seeger
Good luck and gie it laldy.

Ignore those KB's who are obviously Unionist bigots and who continue to disgrace our club with their cheap shots!

What does not supporting the national side have to do with bigotry? Typical narrow minded nationalist view.

As the discussion has now gone back to the old days I feel I can now enter. In my time of residence in Edinburgh Scotland I was always a Hearts supporter and not really a supporter of any other team. When I attended International matches it gave me the opportunity to see some of the stars of the day whom I would never get the opportunity to see otherwise. Although not a supporter as seems to be the trend with the Tartan Army my sentiments of course were with my own Country and that is who I shouted and cheered for. Often as has been said the desire to really support Scotland was very limited because of the SFA prejudice towards Rangers and Celtic players to the ignoring of some other players from other teams.

You'll always get the club v country debates,mate but the game,and attitudes towards it,have changed greatly over the years.Anyone who can remember the excitement leading up to the 78' World Cup,hopefully,will tell you that everyone was in it together,so to speak(apart from the Hampden farewell night,anyone remember that?Oh dear!).When Archie Gemmell scored the third against the Dutch that night it was a great thing.Apart from Narey's toe-poke it was one of the last great footballing moments for me as a Scotsman.There have been good ones since but nothing like that.Maybe the age thing is relative.

Youngsters?

Walter Kidd
You'll always get the club v country debates,mate but the game,and attitudes towards it,have changed greatly over the years.Anyone who can remember the excitement leading up to the 78' World Cup,hopefully,will tell you that everyone was in it together,so to speak(apart from the Hampden farewell night,anyone remember that?Oh dear!).When Archie Gemmell scored the third against the Dutch that night it was a great thing.Apart from Narey's toe-poke it was one of the last great footballing moments for me as a Scotsman.There have been good ones since but nothing like that.Maybe the age thing is relative.

Youngsters?

John Robertson scoring against England (notts forest one) was probably the last defining moment for me.

Ferguson not taking Souness, Dalglish or Hansen to Mexico was probably when I stopped believing.

As the discussion has now gone back to the old days I feel I can now enter. In my time of residence in Edinburgh Scotland I was always a Hearts supporter and not really a supporter of any other team. When I attended International matches it gave me the opportunity to see some of the stars of the day whom I would never get the opportunity to see otherwise. Although not a supporter as seems to be the trend with the Tartan Army my sentiments of course were with my own Country and that is who I shouted and cheered for. Often as has been said the desire to really support Scotland was very limited because of the SFA prejudice towards Rangers and Celtic players to the ignoring of some other players from other teams.

A nice way of putting it Bob. And probably how I feel.

Scotland used to have some very good sides. I was at Wembley in 1979 and went to most games at Hampden until 1981. We used to win with style or go down fighting.

Now we're an utter embarrassment, reduced to playing "Scotsmen" like Iwelumo, Quashie, etc etc. Off the field we're just as bad with the TA "shortbread tin" supporters. When it gets this bad, we ought to do the decent thing and just knock it on the head.

Scottish national football team. Scotland's shame. :2:

If Iwelumo isn't Scottish, what is he?

John Robertson scoring against England (notts forest one) was probably the last defining moment for me.

Ferguson not taking Souness, Dalglish or Hansen to Mexico was probably when I stopped believing.

The three Mexico games were horrendous.I agree,the feeling was bad then.

The last Scotland v England game i went to was the 1-0 game at Hampden,Gough header,was that 85'?Good to win etc but always remember thinking it was miles away from the Wembley/Hampden victories of the late 70's.There was a change going on for sure then.

Robertson's was the penalty at Wembley,aye?

Walter Kidd
The three Mexico games were horrendous.I agree,the feeling was bad then.

The last Scotland v England game i went to was the 1-0 game at Hampden,Gough header,was that 85'?Good to win etc but always remember thinking it was miles away from the Wembley/Hampden victories of the late 70's.There was a change going on for sure then.

Robertson's was the penalty at Wembley,aye?

It was mate from Robson bringing down Archibald.

I was in Cardiff the night Jock Stein died and should probably have packed in watching Scotland then and there.

chopper1874

Couldnt be arsed reading all the posts have my mates round tonight talking about the trip. Staying in The Hague if anyone is in the area give me a PM and we can meet up for a sesh! Leaving next Thurs from HULL.

I am the only one with a ticket, Anyone willing to sell at silly prices give me a shout as my mates will pay coz they are idiots LOL.

Its Scotland so get behind the team whether they are gash or not or if your Hearts first and scotland second it dosent matter. 8,000 scots in a 52,000 capacity stadium is hpefully going to MAKE SOME NOISE!.

Chopper

davemclaren

Bob, no-one that I'm aware of on here can 'hark back' with as much authority as yourself. :sunny:

I agree with your sentiments though things have changed that, in England, Italy and Spain you can see the top players in the world play club football.

There are some that follow Scotland and have no or limited club allegiances and that is their choice and right. For me club football ( Hearts ) is the biggest thing. Saying that, I'll still cheer if Scotland win as I am a Scot. :earmuffs:

It was mate from Robson bringing down Archibald.

I was in Cardiff the night Jock Stein died and should probably have packed in watching Scotland then and there.

As you posted earlier,you've followed the national team about and are well justified in commenting on the team,past and present.I've a wee pal who still does all the trips but can't stand the pests who follow the team now.Only some mind!

I'm sure most folk,not going over of course, will watch and hope for a victory.

If it's anything like the away France game it could be a good night!

I suppose we just need to qualify again!!

Whilst I always like to see Scotland win, I cant help thinking that with the ineffective Ferguson, the calamatous McGregor, the pensioners of Weir and Caldwell, and the headless chicken of Miller in the line up, that the Dutch could score as many as they like, I predict Holland 5 Scotland 0.

Christ - you picked up your pension aged 26?:biglaugh:

High Roller
They **** themselves in Russia too, when they were attacked during their "march" to the stadium :7:

Tartan Army my arse :7:

how would you know ???

The main difference between Hearts and Scotland for me is that no matter how Hearts are doing I'll be there supporting them. Hearts could be in the third division and I'd be at every game at Tynie.

With Scotland, I rarely go to the games. I'll watch all the matches on the tv and if we are doing well then it is brilliant. I like that I can go to the pub and everyone I know is supporting the same team. When we're not doing well I still watch but I'm not as bothered.

Give me the choice of Hearts winning the league (or whatever would be the equivalent to the world cup-maybe Champions League?) or Scotland winning the World Cup then it would definitely be Hearts.

I'm also far more interested in Hibs doing badly than England. I care far more about Hearts winning than Hibs losing but I still love to see Hibs fail. I really don't care about the England results.

I'm a nationalist but Hearts definitely come first for me in football.

you know me well enough to know I don't go looking for trouble.

When did you stop supporting Leeds? :saddam:

penicuik jambo
Couldnt be arsed reading all the posts have my mates round tonight talking about the trip. Staying in The Hague if anyone is in the area give me a PM and we can meet up for a sesh! Leaving next Thurs from HULL.

I am the only one with a ticket, Anyone willing to sell at silly prices give me a shout as my mates will pay coz they are idiots LOL.

Its Scotland so get behind the team whether they are gash or not or if your Hearts first and scotland second it dosent matter. 8,000 scots in a 52,000 capacity stadium is hpefully going to MAKE SOME NOISE!.

Chopper

8 of us from Penicuik on the same Ferry, getting the train half 12 on thu.

Cant wait, staying in some shan hotel in the dam square, 5 hearts fans, a hobo, a hun and a sheep.

Pete Seeger
Some *****s on this thread eh! Cmon Scotland

Rascist post imo. :2:

Well edited. If this choob isn't banned the double standards on this board are terrible.

kingantti1874

Yeah very good! I'm a racist for supporting the country of my birth whether they are gash or not! To be honest you scotland haters are at about the same moral level of aiden mcgheady, James McCarthy and the rest.

What an embarassment you are! No wonder this country is such a mess in everything we do! If that means a ban then ban away.

Cant wait, staying in some shan hotel in the dam square, 5 hearts fans, a hobo, a hun and a sheep.

6 of us heading there on the same ferry too. Should be bouncing. I pity any English stag nights on the ferry :)

We've got 4 Jambos, a Jambo in Progress (ex Ger), and a Hobo! It seems every trip seems to take pity on one Hobo. Must be like care in the community.

I pity any English stag nights on the ferry :)

Sinister/disturbing post IMO. :2:

Pete Seeger
Yeah very good! I'm a racist for supporting the country of my birth whether they are gash or not! To be honest you scotland haters are at about the same moral level of aiden mcgheady, James McCarthy and the rest.

What an embarassment you are! No wonder this country is such a mess in everything we do! If that means a ban then ban away.

I was refering to your "**** the english" braveheart speach that you edited. You also made a not so nice comment regarding your queen.

I think you have a bit of growing up to do boyo :yes2:

I was refering to your "**** the english" braveheart speach that you edited.

I saw that comment. Definitely racist. :2:

PresidentRomanov

Anyone from Penicuik that supporters Rangers FC or Aberdeen, isn't someone I'd choose to go on a trip with, as for going to a football match with a Hibby, never in a million years :2:

In saying that, people from Penicuik don't quite think like most people, whatever team they support, don't think I'd fancy socialising with a Hearts fan from there.

kingantti1874

I edited it because I felt it lowered the tone a little to much and dragged me down to the same level as others on this board! It was designed to prompt conflict but I decided not to waste precious minutes of my life time getting into an arguement about why you should support your country with people who are frankly speaking intellectually challenged. So,with that in mind 'soir alba' fth and everyone else who isn't hearts or Scotland.

PresidentRomanov
I edited it because I felt it lowered the tone a little to much and dragged me down to the same level as others on this board! It was designed to prompt conflict but I decided not to waste precious minutes of my life time getting into an arguement about why you should support your country with people who are frankly speaking intellectually challenged. So,with that in mind 'soir alba' fth and everyone else who is hearts or Scotland

Translate: I edited it, because I crapped myself once I'd done it :7:

kingantti1874

Yeah that's it- I crapped it! Whats this - the 3 or 4 members of the queen and country hearts supporters club ganging up on me! LOL what a ****ing embarassment ! I saw it I really did!

PresidentRomanov
Yeah that's it- I crapped it! Whats this - the 3 or 4 members of the queen and country hearts supporters club ganging up on me! LOL what a ****ing embarassment ! I saw it I really did!

What does 'soir alba' mean by the way?

Out of curiousity, I looked it up, but the phrase doesn't exist, did you make it up?

kingantti1874

My Gaelic isn't to great but I'm sure it means come on scotland! If I'm wrong (which I probably am) I'm a disgrace to my nation!

I think I'll go support the welsh. Why not eh!! As good a choice as any

PresidentRomanov
My Gaelic isn't to great but I'm sure it means come on scotland! If I'm wrong (which I probably am) I'm a disgrace to my nation!

I think I'll go support the welsh. Why not eh!! As good a choice as any

Why are you posting phrases that don't exist, and even if they did, you don't know what they mean?

Do you not think that has the potential to make you look like a complete idiot?

kingantti1874

Looked it up, believe it's saor alba and translates to free scotland ( in a sporting sense, that's not too bad) as regards looking like an idiot!!! I'll be in good company in this thread eh!

Anyway, got to dash.

PresidentRomanov
Looked it up, believe it's saor alba and translates to free scotland ( in a sporting sense, that's not too bad) as regards looking like an idiot!!! I'll be in good company in this thread eh!

Anyway, got to dash.

I'd looked it up too, just wanted to see you make an arse of yourself :sunny:

"It means C'mon Scotland" :biglaugh:

kingantti1874

Great, your so funny! You should do stand up man- I mean let's all pesh ourselves!it means what he originally said it did - but I convinced him it didn't , and then he found one which was similar but not quite the same!

Your brand of comedy is unique, frankie Boyle , michael macintyre and ricky gervais watch out! Book a slot at the festival mate!

kingantti1874

Your not expected too- don't worry it's not your fault - your only a product of your environment!

By the way! Nice avatar - was that taken in Manchester ! I'm sure I saw you on the telly doing your country proud! Not as embarassing as the tartan army though!

PresidentRomanov
Your not expected too- don't worry it's not your fault - your only a product of your environment!

By the way! Nice avatar - was that taken in Manchester ! I'm sure I saw you on the telly doing your country proud! Not as embarassing as the tartan army though!

I think you're confusing me with Alex Salmond, I wasn't in Manchester, I've never been to a club game with a scottish team playing, that didn't involve Hearts :sunny:

Thats my views on the national team. I'm not anti Scotland but I couldn't care less about the national football side anymore. I think I'd boak if I had to cheer on scrotes like Ferguson and Brown.

If Gordon doesn't play I hope they get thumped.

as for the mix of fans going on thetrip I am gong on there are 4 jambos one celtic fan and 3 hibbees(one is a well known hibby in Edinburgh)

There will be know differences we will be there to support scotland.

I would hope if you where born here you would not want the team to lose.

Archived