Lenny Henry says TV industry is racist

cosanostra

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080208/ten-lenny-henry-tv-industry-is-racist-ea4616c_1.html

What a load of nonsense.

The only reason this guy is on TV is because he is black, it's certainly not down to his talent. Let's face it, he is about the unfunniest person ever to be called a comedian.

I can also think of loads of comedians and comedy actors on TV in the UK who are from ethnic minority backgrounds.

The cynic in me thinks Lenny Henry just comes out with this stuff so that he can never be sacked for being terrible. If he ever does get emptied, he'll just say that his views on racism in the industry have been proven right.

He's probably got a point.

If the TV industry wasn't racist he'd have long since been punted off the airwaves.

tommythejambo

This is one of those threads where you just have to tread very, very carefully.

You do have a point though.

He's probably got a point.

If the TV industry wasn't racist he'd have long since been punted off the airwaves.

Now that is a good point.

What about stuff like Goodness Gracious Me, the Kumars, Omid Djallili etc Those guys are actually quite funny. Not like LH.

I reckon if people have the talent, they'll get where they deserve to be, regardless of colour. Sometimes though, people with litle talent get famous because TV officials want a certain number of minorities to be involved. How else on earth did that gimp Richard Blackwood get famous???

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080208/ten-lenny-henry-tv-industry-is-racist-ea4616c_1.html

What a load of nonsense.

The only reason this guy is on TV is because he is black, it's certainly not down to his talent. Let's face it, he is about the unfunniest person ever to be called a comedian.

I can also think of loads of comedians and comedy actors on TV in the UK who are from ethnic minority backgrounds.

The cynic in me thinks Lenny Henry just comes out with this stuff so that he can never be sacked for being terrible. If he ever does get emptied, he'll just say that his views on racism in the industry have been proven right.

He is a truly terrible comedian. His wife is funnier and that's saying something.

He is a truly terrible comedian. His wife is funnier and that's saying something.

She was bloody awful as well.

Catherine Tate also, if she was male and she that dreadfully unfunny, there's no way she'd be on TV either. Token woman comedian IMO.

Don't know what he's whining about, to be honest. As far as I can see, black comedians are pretty well represented.

Now if I was Asian, I'd be well narked at the lack of representation in the popular media.

I have no idea if the Television Industry is racist or not, but I am absolutely certain that Lenny Henry is about as funny as a burning orphange.

Even if he did pick my name out to win a prize on Tiswas.

What a load of nonsense.

I knew one day Cosanostra me old mucker we would 100% agree on something and finally we do

top post bro!

I P Knightley

What a load of nonsense.

Let's face it, he is about the unfunniest person ever to be called a comedian. .

Come on... you're talking rot there. The kind of rot that leads to the allegations of racism which Henry's on about.

You don't remember, "Gwapple me Gwapenuts"?? The best comedy (David Bellamy) impression EVER to hit our screens.

I'm struggling to hold myself together just thinking of it. In fact, I took a mouthful of coffee just so that I could spurt it over my keyboard to emphasise how funny "gwapple me gwapenuts" truly was.

Anyone seen little miss jocelyn!!!

the biggest pile of **** EVER

I know why it gets comissioned!!!

ToadKiller Dog

Lenny Henry is one of those comedians stuck in his era with davro and dennis who still do frank spencer and tommy cooper impersonations .

I think he would have had more of a point if he concentrated in his rant on the poor writing and stereotyping of minority characters in tv drama, ie the bill,the drunk tramp que scots accent,black kid = gangster .

I think minorities groups are well represented ,Dr Who for example has a black assistant for the first time,Torchwood queer as folk do science fiction,plenty shows have people from minorities in lead rolls,the hustle,all the hospital dramas,the bill etc.

Or shows like Chef and Hope and glory .

Of course its not perfect but not moved on since alf garnetts days i doubt it .

Catherine Tate also, if she was male and she that dreadfully unfunny, there's no way she'd be on TV either. Token woman comedian IMO.

Shes awful, I agree

Commander Harris

t.v. is full of people that have "achieved" what they have done simply because of a perceived requirement to be representative. Whether that be on grounds of race, gender, religion, background etc. it all stinks.

Refer also to Karen Dunbar, Victoria Wood, Jennifer Saunders.

Anyone seen little miss jocelyn!!!

the biggest pile of **** EVER

I know why it gets comissioned!!!

I think she is rank as well, however I'm not sure if it is because she is black that she is commissioned. I'm tempted to think that her "humour" is more regional in its nature i.e. very London, as opposed to being simply black. It may appeal to a London "culture", if that makes sense.

Refer also to Karen Dunbar, Victoria Wood, Jennifer Saunders.

Bit harsh on Victoria Wood. Not really my cup of tea, but I can see why she is held in high regard.

Dunbar is pretty poor though.

Moan moan moan

******* like him really annoy me.

He USED to be funny.

I liked his comedy show with weekend dad and his early stuff was ok, but now he just tedious

NOt enough Black people in period (Victorian era) dramas Lenny?

Yep, the ethnic minorities would just be soooooo grateful for their portrayal as servants to the white Lords.

Or does he propose an Asian Jane Ayre, or to completely ignore any kind of historical accuracy just to make up ethnic quotas?

If there was a new Richard Prior doing the rounds out there, he would be on the TV - no question

Just had a proper read through the article

"Is there anybody going out to the comedy clubs with their diversity goggles on? Are the researchers casting their net far and wide? This is an area that needs a massive kick up the bum."

It would help if black comedians were actually funny, Chris Rock hes funny but its white comedians who are funnier.

IMO and im not trying to cause offence, Ive watched many stand ups before and black comedians always swear and talk about N*****. Chris Rock is very lucky that he has more material because its a fine line to tread on.

Its got nothing to do with diversity, its because there are more funnier White Comedians than Black Comedians.

If that makes sense?

Commander Harris
t.v. is full of people that have "achieved" what they have done simply because of a perceived requirement to be representative. Whether that be on grounds of race, gender, religion, background etc. it all stinks.

I forgot sexuality - there seems to be a few "professional homosexuals" about these days whos whole act is "I'm gay, isn't that funny?".

I forgot sexuality - there seems to be a few "professional homosexuals" about these days whos whole act is "I'm gay, isn't that funny?".

ALAN CARR :mad:

Commander Harris
Moan moan moan

******* like him really annoy me.

there's a quality episode of southpark where Randy is playing "wheel of fortune" - the clue is "people who annoy you" and the letters are N BLANK G G E R S. Randy guesses wrong and is made an outcast Kramer style. :)

most amusing.

ToadKiller Dog
NOt enough Black people in period (Victorian era) dramas Lenny?

Yep, the ethnic minorities would just be soooooo grateful for their portrayal as servants to the white Lords.

Or does he propose an Asian Jane Ayre, or to completely ignore any kind of historical accuracy just to make up ethnic quotas?

Spot on

The thing is modern costume drama is giving rolls to ethnic actors when it does fit into the a possible reality of the time,The Philip Pullman drama the star in the north(think it was called) had a black sailor a large part of crews on ships were from minorities cities like Liverpool and Cardiff have had sailor communities originated from that time.

The recent bbc production of oliver twist had Sophie Okonedo playing Nancy which is a possibility in Dickensian London,Casanova the BBC version with David Tennant has a black actor as his man servent

So Lennys argument/rant does not hold up ,maybe he is off on the rant because he has been turned down for a role.

Come on... you're talking rot there. The kind of rot that leads to the allegations of racism which Henry's on about.

You don't remember, "Gwapple me Gwapenuts"?? The best comedy (David Bellamy) impression EVER to hit our screens.

I'm struggling to hold myself together just thinking of it. In fact, I took a mouthful of coffee just so that I could spurt it over my keyboard to emphasise how funny "gwapple me gwapenuts" truly was.

Sorry mate, you must be a different age group from me.

I've never seen anything funny with Lenny Henry.

Lenny Henry is as funny as spending an afternoon at the gum clinic.

He says that little has changed since the era of Alf Garnett and has called for action to be taken to ensure more black people work both behind and in front of the cameras.

In a speech to the Royal Television Society, he said: "When I started, I was surrounded by a predominantly white workforce. Thirty-two years later, not a lot has changed.

"How many black British comedians are working on mainstream TV today? One? Two? Ethnic minorities are pitifully under-served.

This quote, IMO, sums up the pitiful attitude towards race in the workforce.

It's now a question of what colour you are, not how good you are, and if there aren't enough of a certain colour then they must be employed regardless of ability.

there's a quality episode of southpark where Randy is playing "wheel of fortune" - the clue is "people who annoy you" and the letters are N BLANK G G E R S. Randy guesses wrong and is made an outcast Kramer style. :)

most amusing.

My inspiration;)

This quote, IMO, sums up the pitiful attitude towards race in the workforce.

It's now a question of what colour you are, not how good you are, and if there aren't enough of a certain colour then they must be employed regardless of ability.

I actually agree with you and (worringly) I8hibsh - we seemed to be submerged in a culture when positive discrimination is overly used to avoid racism. However, this turns into racism. I'm also concerned about the Democrats Presidential Candidates - it's turned into a "Black V Women" thing. I seen a news report the other day and they were talking about "Who are the White men going to vote for?" and "Who the Black women will be voting for" - I couldn't believe it when the next statement was "What about the Hispanics? They will be torn".

MEDIEVAL HISTORY BOOKS TO INCLUDE MORGAN FREEMAN

THE early history of Britain is 'horribly white' and should be rewritten to include the black and Asian people who weren't there, a black comedian said last night.

Lenny Henry said he had read a number of key texts on the Middle Ages and not one had mentioned the major part played by Morgan Freeman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

He said the only dark skinned character to feature regularly in works on the medieval period was the Black Death, which he described as a ?typically negative stereotype? of people of colour.

Mr Henry said: ?Read the Venerable Bede?s Ecclesiastical History of the English People and you could be forgiven for thinking that 8th century Britain was almost entirely free of people of Afro-Caribbean or Asian origin. It?s a disgrace."

Mr Henry is calling for the introduction of a quota system into British history writing to ensure that at least 10 per cent of major historical figures are black or Asian, including monarchs.

He wants Henry V, Elizabeth I, and the current Queen to all be black but not John, Richard III, Oliver Cromwell, or Ethelred the Unready.

He said: ?How can any of our young black and Asian youth in the inner cities ever aspire to work hard at school with a view to becoming a King of England if they are constantly told by history that this is job is for whites only??

What a load of nonsense.

when he first arrived on screen inthe early eighties, his act was to take the **** out of the black dudes ,trevor mcdonut, oooooo kkkkkk etc, what a hypocryit

I P Knightley

A different age where irony lessons were compulsory.

What's happening in schools these days?

Pssshawww!!! Hrrrumph!! etc.

Stephen K Amos - now, he's funny.

Agreed.

Even made a joke about how he'll get a series off the bbc once Lenny Henry dies. :)

I actually agree with you and (worringly) I8hibsh - we seemed to be submerged in a culture when positive discrimination is overly used to avoid racism. However, this turns into racism. I'm also concerned about the Democrats Presidential Candidates - it's turned into a "Black V Women" thing. I seen a news report the other day and they were talking about "Who are the White men going to vote for?" and "Who the Black women will be voting for" - I couldn't believe it when the next statement was "What about the Hispanics? They will be torn".

THE early history of Britain is 'horribly white' and should be rewritten to include the black and Asian people who weren't there, a black comedian said last night.

Lenny Henry said he had read a number of key texts on the Middle Ages and not one had mentioned the major part played by Morgan Freeman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

He said the only dark skinned character to feature regularly in works on the medieval period was the Black Death, which he described as a ?typically negative stereotype? of people of colour.

Mr Henry said: ?Read the Venerable Bede?s Ecclesiastical History of the English People and you could be forgiven for thinking that 8th century Britain was almost entirely free of people of Afro-Caribbean or Asian origin. It?s a disgrace."

Mr Henry is calling for the introduction of a quota system into British history writing to ensure that at least 10 per cent of major historical figures are black or Asian, including monarchs.

He wants Henry V, Elizabeth I, and the current Queen to all be black but not John, Richard III, Oliver Cromwell, or Ethelred the Unready.

He said: ?How can any of our young black and Asian youth in the inner cities ever aspire to work hard at school with a view to becoming a King of England if they are constantly told by history that this is job is for whites only??

Did you write this yourself? About 5,000% better than your usual efforts if so.

And he's gay!

So what?

I P Knightley
And he's gay!

So what?

On another thread you ask 'so what?' when someone else brings up a 'is he gay' question.

This time, you bring it up yourself (out of context) and ask 'so what?'

I'm confused.

Are you?

On another thread you ask 'so what?' when someone else brings up a 'is he gay' question.

This time, you bring it up yourself (out of context) and ask 'so what?'

I'm confused.

Are you?

If you're confused you should try contacting these people

http://www.lgls.co.uk/

Apparently they're very helpful.

It wasn't out of context, it was first mentioned in #24 and again in #25.

No, I'm not gay, sorry.

Commander Harris
If you're confused you should try contacting these people

http://www.lgls.co.uk/

Apparently they're very helpful.

It wasn't out of context, it was first mentioned in #24 and again in #25.

No, I'm not gay, sorry.

just to clarify, my post was a comment about comedians whos whole act revolves around their sexuality, not just comedians that happened to be homosexual.

I saw Amos on TV a few weeks ago and he is one of the funniest acts I've ever seen. Difference being Amos makes it clear he is having a go at 'racist Britain' while Henry has been on a nice little earner until it dawned on him his days are long gone and he needs to find a scapegoat.

PS Amos joke about being in Edinburgh during the Fringe is painful to listen to.

'Baboon' !

I'm fecking sick of those who play the race card when things don't go their way.

A few year ago there were complaints from the asian community in England that there were "not enough asian players in the English Premiership". It didn't occur to them that this may be because they didnt actually have any good players. Clowns.

Lenny - gtf. Its folk like you that cause the stress between the communities.

I FEEL THA THIS MY FRIEND IS A LANDMARK DAY

i have a trickle of saltwater running down my cheek

:)

Lenny Henry requires a serious torture chamber visit :)

Why are white males the only people depicted as anyone to ahve ever done anything bad?

The fact is undoubtedly and undeniably white males (especially in Britain) have a 'colourful' past but the fact and reality is that nowadys I like to think we have leant and live in a civilised society.

We are not the ones that live in a world of sacrificial killings etc

Archived