Today highlighted Csaba's two biggest failings...

Martin_T

1. Reluctance to play young players, to the point that he will move senior players out of position first.
  2. Total lack of tactical flexibility, never changes formation and only makes like for like subs.

On balance, the impact Laszlo has had at Hearts remains positive, but the two aspects raised above to continue to give me doubts that we will continue to progress under his stewardship.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1. Reluctance to play young players, to the point that he will move senior players out of position first.
  2. Total lack of tactical flexibility, never changes formation and only makes like for like subs.

On balance, the impact Laszlo has had at Hearts remains positive, but the two aspects raised above to continue to give me doubts that we will continue to progress under his stewardship.

We're going to progress. You can't expect Csaba to turn Hearts around totally in one season.

Everytime we lose just one game OR even draw, everyone points the finger at him and/or a lith.

We (and the players) should just put it behind us and look toward the Dundee game which is a big must win.

Stop pointing out Csaba's minimal mistakes with the powerpuff subs we have and players who struggle in other positions.

Also the sitting back once we score when we should kill teams off !

We don't have the ability to finish teams off. We are lucky to score 1 goal a game never mind 2.

Completely agree with the OP.

How is he reluctant to play youngsters? Our team is the youngest in the SPL FFS!!

Not one of young player has debuted under Csaba. Our team is one of the youngest in the SPL because the average age of the senior players at the club when he took over was relatively low.

McGowan, Templeton and Husband have all been putting in consistent performances for the reserves but have hardly even featured on the bench for the first team this season.

Exactly. Its ok if you have decent defenders, but today our lot failed to clear their lines properly and kept booting the ball away usually direct to a St Midden player. Nobody took responsibility for controlling the ball and playing balls wide to Obua or Driver.

Terrible end to a very poor performance.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I like Csaba but this is his biggest failing, IMO. It is completely beyond me how we haven't seen McGowan or Templeton this season. He doesn't seem interested in the long-term success of the club, only how we perform while he is here.

If you read past the bitterness in the article below this last point was a major source or annoyance for Uganda fans aswell - his seemingly complete lack of interest in the long-term future of the team. At Uganda he didn't even bother with youth teams it appears.

http://www.observer.ug/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=482:david-lumu&catid=44:sports&Itemid=80

That's what frustrated me most. Every single time we go one goal ahead we sit back so deep. It happened last week against Aberdeen and we were lucky not to lose a late goal against them as well.

maroonlegions

Its looking more and more likely that Nade IS NOT THE ANSWER, Glen is still a young lad so needs some more time and i feel he will come good.Tulberg?? , what's the score with him, still on rehab?We need a decent striker and centre half , Stewart should be benched his form has taken a dive so TIME to bleed some youngsters.

Not one of young player has debuted under Csaba. Our team is one of the youngest in the SPL because the average age of the senior players at the club when he took over was relatively low.

McGowan, Templeton and Husband have all been putting in consistent performances for the reserves but have hardly even featured on the bench for the first team this season.

I think Csaba knows what he's doing and he will know when a player is ready! Obviously the players mentioned arent ready. Csaba refused to play Glen at the start of the season because he wasnt ready, now he is and has been a regular starter over the past few months! The fact that Glen played last season was only down to us being so poor! If we had made the top six I doubt Glen would have been thrown into the team.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
I think Csaba knows what he's doing and he will know when a player is ready! Obviously the players mentioned arent ready. Csaba refused to play Glen at the start of the season because he wasnt ready, now he is and has been a regular starter over the past few months! The fact that Glen played last season was only down to us being so poor! If we had made the top six I doubt Glen would have been thrown into the team.

McGowan and Templeton are surely ready for some first-team appearances. If Csaba thinks they aren't ready he's wrong.

We're going to progress. You can't expect Csaba to turn Hearts around totally in one season.

Everytime we lose just one game OR even draw, everyone points the finger at him and/or a lith.

We (and the players) should just put it behind us and look toward the Dundee game which is a big must win.

Stop pointing out Csaba's minimal mistakes with the powerpuff subs we have and players who struggle in other positions.

I totally agree! If we had of won todays game, this post wouldn't exist.

Thomson, Jonnson and Glen all started.

Wallace also started. The rest of the team aren't exactly old experienced players.

Too many youngsters is not always a good idea. Putting in McGowan today may not have been the best idea when other youngsters were already in crucial positions.

If people on an internet message forum honestly believe they have a better understanding as to which youth players are ready or not than our manager why are you guys not out in the dugout.

Stick to football manager lads and leave the real business to the professionals FFS!!!

I think that Csaba is looking for some flexibility in the positions that players play especially between Def/Mid and Mid/Att with players able to switch between the two.

At the moment it is still on the learning curve for most players who have been ingrained into one particular position. Indeed, Csaba is still learning the game in Scottish terms.

Today, I was wanting another striker on (Elliot!:eek:) as I thought this would give us more impetus; this was before Miko and the goal we scored. I am aware that our attacking options are not that great at the moment and are unlikely to improve next week. Therefore, despite what we as supporters want and demand during a match, it's not always going to happen.

Did anyone think that Gary Glen had a good 1st half? (Was he taken off because of the head knock the ref did not acknowledge?).

(

How is he reluctant to play youngsters? Our team is the youngest in the SPL FFS!!

Not through any choice of our own, we could barely get an older team out even if we wanted too.

Today was the perfect time to give McGowan a shot at CB and instead our captain plays out of position and looked uncomfortable there the whole game. We didn't even have a defender on the bench incase it didn't work ffs.

Playing against that ****e at home with both our best CB's gone/missing in a non-critical league game, you couldn't really have thought of a better opportunity to give a young player a chance in. Wouldn't be suprised if McGowan wants away just like Rapnik before long.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
If people on an internet message forum honestly believe they have a better understanding as to which youth players are ready or not than our manager why are you guys not out in the dugout.

Stick to football manager lads and leave the real business to the professionals FFS!!!

What makes a player ready? Surely the odd substitute appearance will help them get ready for a regular game? Ryan McGowan, despite being 20 this year and regularly touted as one of our better prospects, has had about an hour of first-team football for Hearts. What footballer do you know that had a successful career who had played only 60 minutes before he turned 20? He and Templeton are ready for some sub appearances at the very least. Internet forum or not, Csasba is wrong if he doesn't agree with that.

I assume you've taken the same stance when Frail/Malofeev/Korobochka etc were picking the team?

chester copperpot

IMO Csaba has no failings.

He's got us 3rd with a much worse squad than last year. And he's had to put up with the sale of Berra in Jan.

He will be coach of the year if he gets our squad to finish 3rd.

FACT. END OF. Etc etc.

So the brilliant Kickback tacticians think it was a better idea to play two inexperienced centre halfs against Mehmet & Hamilton, two of the tallest, most physical and experienced forwards? Thank ****** you're not picking the team.

:mad::stroker::movethatass::1132::1092:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
So the brilliant Kickback tacticians think it was a better idea to play two inexperienced centre halfs against Mehmet & Hamilton, two of the tallest, most physical and experienced forwards? Thank ****** you're not picking the team.

What, as opposed to the right-back and the midfielder who actually did play?

To be fair, he was absolutely screaming at them to push St Mirren out.

Marmeladent?rtchen

Hes done the best job in the last couple years.

I dont think are squad has the class we need, so making tatical changes cant be easy. If we had a striker and a solid defence then maybe I could agree.

Also Thomson came in today and is now getting pelters on another thread. Maybe are youngsters are not that good!!

What makes a player ready? Surely the odd substitute appearance will help them get ready for a regular game? Ryan McGowan, despite being 20 this year and regularly touted as one of our better prospects, has had about an hour of first-team football for Hearts. What footballer do you know that had a successful career who had played only 60 minutes before he turned 20? He and Templeton are ready for some sub appearances at the very least. Internet forum or not, Csasba is wrong if he doesn't agree with that.

So do you think we should stick on youngsters at 0-0 or 1-0 even in a very tight game against St Mirren???

It's one thing being able to put in a few good performances at reserve level but another making your debut in front of the many boo boys Tynecastle now seems to occupy.

I'm happy with the progress Csaba has made this season and have full faith that when he does eventually decide to introduce the young lads they will be ready. Clearly that is not now for whatever reason.

Spot on mate.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

This thread wouldn't exist if we had held on.

Highlights the tight rope we are walking every week.

Face it, the squad is average. We will get average results. I can see why Laszlo played Neilson today. Jonsson and McGowan would have been a very inexperienced pairing against Hamilton ... a very experienced striker.

Still 3rd. Could have been better but now we definitely have to get a result next week.

We are so unpredictable these days I'm not even going to bother guessing the otucome of that game.

I assume you've taken the same stance when Frail/Malofeev/Korobochka etc were picking the team?

No simply because those lot were muppets. Csaba is clearly his own man so I'm happy with his judgement.

Face it, the squad is average. We will get average results. I can see why Laszlo played Neilson today. Jonsson and McGowan would have been a very inexperienced pairing against Hamilton ... a very experienced striker.

Still 3rd. Could have been better but now we definitely have to get a result next week.

We are so unpredictable these days I'm not even going to bother guessing the otucome of that game.

Spot on bud. Who knows where we will end up. In all honesty it could be 5th. But were sitting in 3rd right now with the same squad of dumplings as we had last season so its all good for me right now.

Plus the hibs are tam kite :108years:

Two best points on the thread, saves me saying anything

Agree 100%

:thumb::thumbs_up::clap:

Toxteth O'Grady

A late equaliser was on the cards sooner or later, we got away with it last week when Aberdeen hit the post at the end, we were not as fortunate this week and with the defence we had today sitting back was the last thing we should have done.

nah, Dundee Utd are.

We are second though. :tongue:

I like Csaba but this is his biggest failing, IMO. It is completely beyond me how we haven't seen McGowan or Templeton this season. while he is here.

Agree, the Airdrie cup game was a perfect opportunity to blood Rapnik, Templeton, McGowan, Husband etc. But no, he sticks with the tried and trusted(though why most are trusted is beyond me.).

We DID play 2 inexperienced centre halfs - with no height - against Mehmet and Hamilton. He has to introduce McGowan alongside Karipidis and let them develop as a partnership...chopping and changing every week will get us nowhere. That is where Laszlo is quite simply wrong.

Laszlo has engendered a better spirit at the club and we do have good individual players like Balogh, Wallace, Johnsson, Karipidis, Aguiar, Glen and Driver....but we are , I'm sorry to say, NOT a good team. The only reason we are 3rd is because outwith the OF, every other team is evenly matched and are cutting each others throats. If we finish 3rd it will be a good achievement...but nothing more...and it will be a totally pointless execrise entering the Europa League unless we strengthen. Selling all the above mentioned players to keep a badly managed club afloat will achieve nought...and in these circumstances it would be better if we did not qualify for Europe.

Laszlo has got to learn quickly and the change should have been a striker on at half time for Glen. The 4-1-4-1 simply DOES NOT work and it makes for dull football. It's all very well saying people would not criticise if we had won but the bottom line is we DIDN'T win.

A late equaliser was on the cards sooner or later, we got away with it last week when Aberdeen hit the post at the end, we were not as fortunate this week and with the defence we had today sitting back was the last thing we should have done.

We have got away with it in the majority of games we have won. I cant recall a game where we have won 'comfortably'.

McGowan and Templeton are surely ready for some first-team appearances. If Csaba thinks they aren't ready he's wrong.

It is a huge step up .Supporters get carried away by performances in the reserves or in lower divisions.Most decent managers will recognise when a player is ready to cope with a higher level.How he then manages is another issue.I dont think that Glen or Thomson performed well today.What makes you think that McGowan and Templeton would have made the difference?

Csaba's failings are not realising that Nade is never in a million years a lone striker. No pace, no first touch and often forgets to pass the ball and his inability to realise that Michael Stewart is pash!

WE NEED STRIKERS!!!

Michael Stewart today totally destroyed the whole shape of the team and just looked like he couldnae be ersed. He's had far too many chances IMO, time to move him out. (MS I mean no Csaba)

It is a huge step up .Supporters get carried away by performances in the reserves or in lower divisions.Most decent managers will recognise when a player is ready to cope with a higher level.How he then manages is another issue.I dont think that Glen or Thomson performed well today.What makes you think that McGowan and Templeton would have made the difference?

Do you think the players that he plays week in week out in front of them are able to cope?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It might not have made a difference today. But giving them some action will make a certain difference in the future. I care just as much about where Hearts will be in five years as I do about individual results on any given day.

If McGowan was fit today, I firmly expect him to consider his future and look towards a move away from Hearts. Rapnik said it a month ago, it is better to be playing first team football than not playing at all.

I know, I know, I know. People are going to continue to talk about the age of the current squad/first team and say there are plenty youngsters there. However, we are talking about being a club that builds from within, using the academy as our sustenance (sp?) both financially and on the park. In theory, Hearts had a ready made replacement for Berra on our books, the much talked about Matej Rapnik. A cultured left sided centre half, not a whippet but a little pace on him. Sound familiar?

He left though, he left as he saw that we would play midfielders in his position rather than give him a chance, who could blame him? Today, in the absence of Karipidis and Zaliukas (not to mention the unreplaced Berra) we could have gave him a go. He wasn't even on the bench. Young players will not get to play against many smaller Premier league teams at home than St Mirren, perfect game to give him a go. We don't though, we play two bad right backs and a central midfielder in our back four. I do feel that McGowan could see that as a sign of things to come.

So, say McGowan leaves, then we really only have Templeton and Husband banging on the door right now (others see more of our reserves to say who would be ready for the first team this year) which means we need to buy a defender or two, debunking our own academy plans.

Why must we make it so difficult?

Guest jambomickey

today was the ideal time to give mcgowan a game imo! we played today without a natural centre half, what signal does that send to a young lad?

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I can see why folk are annoyed that McGowan never got a chance, but I'm a firm believer in having an experienced CB in to progress a youngster. It rarely works with 2 young, inexperienced centre backs.

Charlie-Brown

McGowan wasnt in the squad last week or today but he signed a 4 or 5 year deal last summer & iam sure Csaba will play him in due course, Rapnik we got an offer him (altho I think his old club got the fee) & he was going out of contract

McGowan and Templeton would be better off leaving.

Off topic, but you suggested in another thread recently that there was a possibility of clearing out all "out of contract" players and relying heavily on youth. Was that you speculating or has that now changed.

If you don't want to answer on the forum a wee PM would be fantastic. :)

Do you think the players that he plays week in week out in front of them are able to cope?

In CLs opinion yes.IMO I have not seen McGowan or Templeton recently so I cannot say.I however know enough to say the step is huge.Glen is not ready for 1st team football but he is playing because of lack of options.Who do you play Templeton ahead of?Is Mcgowan a better CB than Neilson or Eggert.Do you think that the defence would have done better today with McGowan at CB along with Neilson or Eggert?Without seeing McGowan play recently I do not know.All I can say is that a decent manager is in the best position to make the judgements.

There has been a clamour for Glen to play from some and we can now see the limitations of this young player.I do regard him as a real prospect.

Archived