Hearts and the Scottish Cup

VeraNT

Now after a bit of banter on the Europa League thread, I have just realised that the SC winners go into the EL "play off round". Jumping deeper into that competion than the third placed SPL team.

there is another incentive for winning the Scottish Cup.

Charlie-Brown
Now after a bit of banter on the Europa League thread, I have just realised that the SC winners go into the EL "play off round". Jumping deeper into that competion than the third placed SPL team.

there is another incentive for winning the Scottish Cup.

This was a compromise (fudge) by UEFA who in an effort to boost National Cup competitions around Europe wanted to grant Champions League entry for winning the cup however the major leagues & clubs put the brakes on that and CL entry remained league based however they had to concede a greater reward for Cup winners in the Europa league.

This was a compromise (fudge) by UEFA who in an effort to boost National Cup competitions around Europe wanted to grant Champions League entry for winning the cup however the major leagues & clubs put the brakes on that and CL entry remained league based however they had to concede a greater reward for Cup winners in the Europa league.

Charlie - you have to excuse me - sometimes I take my eye off the ball out here - 8 hours difference with White Park, distractions like being able to swim in shark infested waters, beaches on christmas day, a city full of harmless crazy people, all that and much more - then just a little lift like pulling clear in third place brings Gorgie back to the boy.............

I should know all this stuff, but in catching up fast, I still see "the cups" as our route to glory............ I've never had any problems with Glory Hunting.

Apologies to leagues not considered. Just had a quick scan to see what level of dominance exists in the the main national cup competitions over the last 20years. Just shows how the OF dominate our cup competition in comparison to these other leagues. I'm sure the ranking would hold good if you included most other major leagues.

There seems to be a lot of 4-5 placed teams winning cups.

Number of different teams winning the cup in last 20 years.

Spain 10

Italy 10

England 7

France 12

Germany 10

Netherlands 6

Scotland 7

Cups won by two most succesful teams.

Spain 6

Italy 6

England 10

France 9