Templeton

Ryan Gosling

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
How can you proffer an opinion if you?ve barely seen him play?

My opinion was that he won't work as a lone striker because he is built like an insect.

I don't have to watch him every week to know that.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maroon Mayhem
Having watched Nade hold off defences with his fat erse out wide and score how many this season or play a young enthusiastic lad with skill, confidence and an excellent score rate.

MMMMM difiicult one

Agree 100%

My opinion was that he won't work as a lone striker because he is built like an insect.

He's small, but he doesn't look like the skinny kid that turned up at Tynie. Bit more muscle on him now and with pace to get past defenders he doesn't need to be like the proverbial brick sh*thouse.

Knows where the goal is, and with no other strikers with that skill he deserves a shot.

I understand the whole 'would need to adapt the system' argument, but if the system isn't producing goals then what good is it for us anyway??

He's small, but he doesn't look like the skinny kid that turned up at Tynie. Bit more muscle on him now and with pace to get past defenders he doesn't need to be like the proverbial brick sh*thouse.

Knows where the goal is, and with no other strikers with that skill he deserves a shot.

I understand the whole 'would need to adapt the system' argument, but if the system isn't producing goals then what good is it for us anyway??

I hate the system but Laszlo isn't going to change it.

Anelka is no brick sheethouse but he plays for Chelsea up front on his own. His main attribute is also pace. He does so less successfully than Drogba, but I doubt you?d claim to be a better coach than Felipe, especially so without having seen the lad play...

Anelka is no brick sheethouse but he plays for Chelsea up front on his own. His main attribute is also pace. He does so less successfully than Drogba, but I doubt you?d claim to be a better coach than Felipe, especially so without having seen the lad play...

Few things - I have seen him play.

Your comparison of our system to Chelseas and Anelka to Templeton is ridiculous and I'm not even going to debate it. What I will say is Anelka is pretty tall.

I never once said I know better but in my opinion a small frail laddie won't be able to compete against SPL defenders on his own with pish service. I know this because I watch Hearts every week.

anelka is not a brick outhouse but there is not much difference between him and drogba in physique just different players but both very strong and quick.

willo Flood is the perfect example of not needing to be big to be good, he is more unhealthy looking than rents in trainspotting but is never found wanting.

anelka is not a brick outhouse but there is not much difference between him and drogba in physique just different players but both very strong and quick.

willo Flood is the perfect example of not needing to be big to be good, he is more unhealthy looking than rents in trainspotting but is never found wanting.

:laugh:

Does he play upfront on his own though?

That's the only point I'm trying to make. He wont do well in that position.

Should be in the squad for the w/e, Glen and Templeton in a 4-4-2 would get my vote.

We surely dont need to play 4-4-2 to fit in one player. In any case if we play 4-4-2 Nade HAS to be one of the 2 up front so that doesnt let Templeton in.

If we played 4-5-1 a bit more positively. i.e switching to a 4-3-3 with the ball we could slot Templeton on in the wide right.

We play most of our atacking football down the left wing and Templeton could easily join up with Glen when we have it on the left. He'd have to do that and Glen would have to get quicker support from Driver and the rest of the midfield than Nade curently does. Although to be fair I've just about thrown the towel in with Nade. He just doesnt give us enough or show himself enough in the right positions.

Just one question mark I'd have is would Templeton be able to track back and help the full back effectively in that system, but lets face it, who else that we have played at right midfield has done that effectively ?

I'm also leaning more and more towards switching Jonnson for Karapidis. Although Karapidis has had a few bombscares at centre half he looks to me like the best bet to play with Zal (as a temporary measure) Jonnson wouldnt probably weaken us at defensive mid and might even add a bit more offensively

Balogh

Neilson

Zaliukas

Karapidis

Wallace

Templeton

Jonnson

Aquiar

Palazuelos

Driver

Glen.

I'd be delighted if I saw that team come out on Saturday. There are NO games that mean something which are ideal for bringing in a youngster, or any new player come to that, so at some stage, whilst we are playing meaningful games, something new has to be tried, because we're not dangerous enough right now to be playing meaningful games for much longer this season.

i hate to say it,

but he reminds me of a young riorden...same build and two footed (not sure riorden had the same pace?)znd wasnt he brought through at a similar age?

:laugh:

Does he play upfront on his own though?

That's the only point I'm trying to make. He wont do well in that position.

correct me if i am wrong but is he not the top scorer in the premiership playing that role

jamboinglasgow
Off-topic a little but good to see Jonathan Brown and Scott Robinson getting their respective call ups. No doubt we will be seeing Brown in the first team soon.

good to hear them keeping their place in their respective squads. Though it is a shame to see that Craig Thomson, Stephen Husband and Gary Glen didn't get into any squads such as the U19.

Also interesting to see that John Fleck is in no squads, not even the Scotland U19.

good to hear them keeping their place in their respective squads. Though it is a shame to see that Craig Thomson, Stephen Husband and Gary Glen didn't get into any squads such as the U19.

Also interesting to see that John Fleck is in no squads, not even the Scotland U19.[/quote]

There's nae chance of him taking the cream puff and playing for the Republic of Ireland tho

Never mind the goal, what about the performance? Why the feck is he not in our first team???? And to think we were persevering with the likes of Jamie feckin Mole and we've just brought Calum Feckin Elliot back from the division he belongs in. Get him in there Csaba FFS.

Few things - I have seen him play.

Your comparison of our system to Chelseas and Anelka to Templeton is ridiculous and I'm not even going to debate it. What I will say is Anelka is pretty tall.

I never once said I know better but in my opinion a small frail laddie won't be able to compete against SPL defenders on his own with pish service. I know this because I watch Hearts every week.

Why ridiculous? We don?t play as good opposition as Chelsea so it?s all relative. I don?t think you?re wrong. I also don?t think you?re wrong to have an opinion. I do think you?re wrong to assume that your opinion carries any weight at all if you?ve hardly seen the boy play...

Why ridiculous? We don?t play as good opposition as Chelsea so it?s all relative. I don?t think you?re wrong. I also don?t think you?re wrong to have an opinion. I do think you?re wrong to assume that your opinion carries any weight at all if you?ve hardly seen the boy play...

Cmon. Its hardly rocket science to form the opinion, when youve seen his physique, that he wouldnt be best suited to playing up front on his own, given what is required of a lone striker. I dont think its a stretch to have that opinion of Templeton if you know what a lone striker traditionally has to do during a game. I think you'd be struggling to name a slinky quick wee striker at any decent level of professional football who plays the lone striker role to good effect. I cant think of one in the SPL EVER, apart from possibly Laarson and he even he only did it now and again through neccesity.

Charlie-Brown

Templeton came on as sub at wide left in the pre-season game at Dunfy , Driver wasn't playing that night for some reason....anyway he's not restricted to just playing left or right.

He's always one I look out for these days, and he's very watchable as a player but as others have mentioned, I think he's still a wee bit on the skinny side at the moment. I'd hate to see that cocky swagger fade after being repeatedly booted up and down the park in a first team fixture.

I'm looking forward to seeing him given a run out but only in the right circumstances. He's a wee star in the making, though.

He's got another 3 years left on his deal (according to http://www.heartsfc.co.uk and the Stenny site). Play him now, if he is indeed too small/skinny/lightweight/peely-wally etc. then he goes to the gym and bulks up, simple! :D

Hopefully he'll be trying to do that already.

Raw eggs for brekky time, Temps. :)

Do we not play the same system in the reserves and U19 teams anyway.I think a lot of these young lads are getting totally drilled in how this syatem should work before the step up so when they do they are ready.

Charlie-Brown
Do we not play the same system in the reserves and U19 teams anyway.I think a lot of these young lads are getting totally drilled in how this syatem should work before the step up so when they do they are ready.

They do and for most of this season Templeton has been chosen to play behind the main striker (as Aguiar does in the first team) and been chosen to play there ahead of Glen who has thus played either on the flanks or as main striker.......Templeton's overall level of perfromance, his form and consistency has been better than Glen has shown, albeit Glen has performed very well in few first team appearances but in terms of staking a claim for first team chances Templeton is knocking hard on the door and deserve an opportunity.

Templeton's old man was even smaller than him and he never got knocked off the ball because nobody could catch him. Lets chuck him in see how he gets on. Its better to try and fail than to never try at all

Was that Henry (Harry) who played for Ayr United among others. If so, as I remember, he was a much stockier stronger build.

He's got another 3 years left on his deal (according to http://www.heartsfc.co.uk and the Stenny site). Play him now, if he is indeed too small/skinny/lightweight/peely-wally etc. then he goes to the gym and bulks up, simple! :D

I go by the length of the shorts! Last year they came to below his knees. This year they stop at his knees. Therfore he has grown - simple!! I wouldn't worry about him receiving rough treatment from the clogger defenders in the SPL. He is probably too fast for them and, if they do happen to catch him he'll get all the protection he needs from our referees!! Won't he!! Aye, right!!!:rolleyes:

Nelly Terraces

"He's too skinny". Never heard so much bollax in all my puff.

This is football we're talking here, not rugby. If he's SKILLFULL enough then why not play him? Can't see any reason whatsoever. To cut a long story short, skill beats weight every time. If people want to have carry on with a lump like Nade up front, who can't score but who can put himself about roughing up all and sundry (to what end, when we rarely score??) then fine. I'd prefer to have forwards who can create chances, take chances, and have the talents to put the ball in the net.

Cheers.

Looks like he'd get brushed off the ball too easy. Too skinny.

ronaldinho is built like a rake but everyone that plays against him goes on about how strong he is

jamboinglasgow
I go by the length of the shorts! Last year they came to below his knees. This year they stop at his knees. Therfore he has grown - simple!! I wouldn't worry about him receiving rough treatment from the clogger defenders in the SPL. He is probably too fast for them and, if they do happen to catch him he'll get all the protection he needs from our referees!! Won't he!! Aye, right!!!:rolleyes:

I would agree with that, just look at McGeady. He may be a bigger, more well built player than temps but he passes players with a few tricks and pace in Scottish football. Most Scottish right backs seem to be confused by him. Templeton playing like he does in the reserves will do well in the SPL, and I think he will be a new Shaun Maloney or Derek Riorden.

This is football we're talking here, not rugby. If he's SKILLFULL enough then why not play him? Can't see any reason whatsoever. To cut a long story short, skill beats weight every time. If people want to have carry on with a lump like Nade up front, who can't score but who can put himself about roughing up all and sundry (to what end, when we rarely score??) then fine. I'd prefer to have forwards who can create chances, take chances, and have the talents to put the ball in the net.

Cheers.

Need to agree... been saying this for ages, if he's good enuff hes big enuff.

Even though he is small he seems to have coped fine playing for both Stenhousemuir and Raith. I know this is at a much lower level, but I imagine the defenders he was up against then would not have been adverse to trying to kick lumps out of him.

He deserves a chance for sure sooner rather than later.

It would seem to me that his sort of attack minded aggressive football, coupled with his skill, turn of pace, passing ability and an eye for goal is exactly what we are lacking. So I will ask again, why the feck is he not playing for the first team?

Our manager is a conservative type. He didn't even take a chance and open up a bit when we were 0-2 down against either Celtic or Hamilton.

Given that we just lost the man who held our whole defence together, I'd expect him to try and tighten things up even further in the midfield on Saturday. At least initially until he sees how we react. Throwing in an untested teenager just isn't in his make up.

It would seem to me that his sort of attack minded aggressive football, coupled with his skill, turn of pace, passing ability and an eye for goal is exactly what we are lacking. So I will ask again, why the feck is he not playing for the first team?

Because currently, most experienced physical defenders would eat him for breakfast if they got near him.

Chad Sexington

I would love to see him at some point on Saturday.

Unless we find ourselves 2 or 3 goals up, I cant see it happening.

Because currently, most experienced physical defenders would eat him for breakfast if they got near him.

If they could catch him.

jamboinglasgow

Cheers.

I would also agree with this. The mentality of looking at size first rather than skill has always been something that has been a problem for Scottish and English football. This particuarly happens with youth teams. Clubs go for the big guys as they can be used to win a match through physicality. And I think the physical nature of the British game has been hugely exaggerated of late. We are no longer the same kind of game from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s or even 90s. There are no players anymore with the nickname "break your legs," we dont have a chick Charnley or Vinnie jones or even John Hartson anymore. The ones who are most likely to be most physical in the modern games are the slower less skillful players, that means a player that has great pace and some good skill will succed, maybe they wont be the best at getting back and defending, but C. Ronaldo is player of the year and he doesn't track back.

The attitude we need in this country (certainly for young players) is skill first as you can build up strengh through weight training, rather than size first and skill later. As skill is harder to bring in that some strengh

Charlie-Brown

G.Strachan & C.Cameron were both very slight when they first played before filling out into their twenties, W.Flood is a more recent example

If they could catch him.

Yes of course.

But for that you need to play quality passsing football, and I dont think we quite there yet.

Placing sweet passes in for the runner to finish.

We use Nade as a bludgeoning tool. Bruno's free kicks and Glen (when he plays) gets the quick finishing role.

So really Templeton is competing with Glen.

As a winger, its ok, they get more space, therefore Driver does well.

But the concern is Templeton getting snuffed out a game by a smart defense who physically dominate him.

I guess the same can be said for Branny.

Its a rapier vs a claymore.

From what i have read on here he is exactly the type of player that experienced and physical defenders absolutely hate.Types like Pressley relish big physical challenges but small and nippy different story.

Yes of course.

But for that you need to play quality passsing football, and I dont think we quite there yet.

Placing sweet passes in for the runner to finish.

We use Nade as a bludgeoning tool. Bruno's free kicks and Glen (when he plays) gets the quick finishing role.

So really Templeton is competing with Glen.

As a winger, its ok, they get more space, therefore Driver does well.

But the concern is Templeton getting snuffed out a game by a smart defense who physically dominate him.

I guess the same can be said for Branny.

Its a rapier vs a claymore.

No one really wants him to play up front. Wide right/wide left of a midfield 5 would be fine.

From what i have read on hear he is exactly the type of player that experienced and physical defenders absolutely hate.Types like Pressley relish big physical challenges but small and nippy different story.

Again, yes.

But in 99% of challenges, he will lose to a bigger, stronger defender.

And as I said above, he will be competing with Glen for that role.

And if we are not attuned to playing a ball to a nippy fast striker, we wont be capitalising on his assets anyway.

Id be happy to see him play alongside Nade, but Glen would have to miss out - assuming we are prepared to play 2 up front and sacrifice domination of the midfield, which is a decision that comes first anyway.

No one really wants him to play up front. Wide right/wide left of a midfield 5 would be fine.

Then that would be ok.

Not in place of Driver though.

Larry - sure.

But Obua is also being used.

So the debate would be - height and strength of Obua, vs speed of Templeton.

Horses for courses. Played in the right way, against the right oppposition and it would be sweet.

Again, yes.

But in 99% of challenges, he will lose to a bigger, stronger defender.

And as I said above, he will be competing with Glen for that role.

And if we are not attuned to playing a ball to a nippy fast striker, we wont be capitalising on his assets anyway.

Id be happy to see him play alongside Nade, but Glen would have to miss out - assuming we are prepared to play 2 up front and sacrifice domination of the midfield, which is a decision that comes first anyway.

If he was going to play in the striking positions then yes i agree it would have to be either him or Glen not the two of them together but as others have said he could be playing wide right.

Then that would be ok.

Larry - sure.

Horses for courses. Played in the right way, against the right oppposition and it would be sweet.

Speed and shooting too.

jamboinglasgow

as I said before, both McGeady and Shaun Maloney should be flattened every week by the big physical defenders yet they get past these players. Yes it doesn't always work but they get past much taller and much more physical players. They use their skill and pace to beat these players.

as I said before, both McGeady and Shaun Maloney should be flattened every week by the big physical defenders yet they get past these players. Yes it doesn't always work but they get past much taller and much more physical players. They use their skill and pace to beat these players.

Yes, its far more effective on the wing.

Then that would be ok.

Larry - sure.

Like a slow falkirk defence?

Like a slow falkirk defence?

Yeah, I would be happy to see that.

But Im not going to get humpty if the gaffer doesnt decide to go with it.

Archived