Captain: it's between Robbie and Karipidis

tartofmidlothian

Karipidis is not brave enough to be captain.

Very harsh.

Karipidis gets stuck in when he has to, plus he deals with a lot of ariel stuff throughout, in a game when many players don't like heading the ball.

If you're talking about the occasions when Karipidis 'rides' the challenge then your talking about a practice that is utilised Europe over.

A classic example of this was Holland's masterclass v Rep of Ireland at Anfield in 1995.

The Dutch bullied and dominated their opponents all night without the need for a single slide tackle. They won 2-0, at a canter, and afterwards, retiring Ireland manager Jack Charlton did a piece on Football Focus, heaping praise on Holland, detailing the way the Dutch were able to ride and nudge and lean and harrass Ireland without the need for jumping in.

Karipidis is clever player, whose adapted to his position with class dus to his technique and football brain.

I would never question his bravery.

Buffalo Bill

I think Karipidis could be a decent choice. He has that nasty streak in him which Neilson simply doesnt.

I can envisage him grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck more than Robbie.

aying that I think it will be Boaby 'til the end of the season at least.

Footballfirst

I'm in agreement with Charlie Brown re Craig Thomson. If Robbie gets the captaincy then it means that there will be a block at RB for any potential youngsters coming through for a few years. As we saw with McLaren, Naysmith and Wallace coming through while in their teens, age shouldn't be a factor if you are good enough.

To my mind Craig is already a better player than Jason and offers much more pace and quality than Robbie, particularly going forward.

Neither should be HMFC captain. Unfortunately it smacks of the usual stance of settling for mediocrity.

Both have some qualities and appear to be well liked as well as being solid professionals but we should be looking for far more.

Neilson shouldn't even be a starter this season (nevermind next) and there is no guarantee Karipidis will still be about.

Very harsh.

Karipidis gets stuck in when he has to, plus he deals with a lot of ariel stuff throughout, in a game when many players don't like heading the ball.

If you're talking about the occasions when Karipidis 'rides' the challenge then your talking about a practice that is utilised Europe over.

A classic example of this was Holland's masterclass v Rep of Ireland at Anfield in 1995.

The Dutch bullied and dominated their opponents all night without the need for a single slide tackle. They won 2-0, at a canter, and afterwards, retiring Ireland manager Jack Charlton did a piece on Football Focus, heaping praise on Holland, detailing the way the Dutch were able to ride and nudge and lean and harrass Ireland without the need for jumping in.

Karipidis is clever player, whose adapted to his position with class dus to his technique and football brain.

I would never question his bravery.

Buffalo Bill

I think that Karipidis loses multiple numbers of 50-50s in each game because he 'rides' the tackle - ie is not brave enough.

Neither should be HMFC captain. Unfortunately it smacks of the usual stance of settling for mediocrity.

Both have some qualities and appear to be well liked as well as being solid professionals but we should be looking for far more.

Neilson shouldn't even be a starter this season (nevermind next) and there is no guarantee Karipidis will still be about.

So, we need a captain now.

Who is it going to be? We cant bring anyone in remember...

These two are the most suitable options IMO.

I think that Karipidis loses multiple numbers of 50-50s in each game because he 'rides' the tackle - ie is not brave enough.

Some you win, some you lose. But I'd say he wins plenty; more than his fair share and he often comes away with the ball to set up attacks.

You're focusing purely on a misconstrued negative and have completley side-stepped my explanation for this tactic.

Coco, I enjoy debating with you on Kickback as much as anyone but I think you're being very unfair on Karipidis here.

Buffalo Bill

Some you win, some you lose. But I'd say he wins plenty; more than his fair share and he often comes away with the ball to set up attacks.

You're focusing purely on a misconstrued negative and have completley side-stepped my explanation for this tactic.

Coco, I enjoy debating with you on Kickback as much as anyone but I think you're being very unfair on Karipidis here.

Buffalo Bill

Understand your point, and think Karipidis has been a good player for us this season.

But I would want the captain to run through brick walls for the team. Gets team mates and the crowd going when big tackles are put in.

Understand your point, and think Karipidis has been a good player for us this season.

But I would want the captain to run through brick walls for the team. Gets team mates and the crowd going when big tackles are put in.

Fair doos, Mate. I would love us to have a blood and guts captain figure too, but that shouldn't (in my humblest of opinion) take away from the more measured style Karipidis employs; captain or not (and he aint!).

Buffalo Bill

I think Karipidis could be a decent choice. He has that nasty streak in him which Neilson simply doesnt.

I assume you weren't in the Pitoddrie tunnel?

Archived