Captain: it's between Robbie and Karipidis

tartofmidlothian

Guest JamboRobbo
"The manager will consult Anatoli Korobochka, Hearts' sporting director"

SHUDDER!!

:laugh: So Vlad's picking the new captain then. Woohoo. I hope Vlad picks Robbie, just to see a certain poster squirm. :D

Hearts Heritage

I'm pretty certain Karipidis became the first non British captain of Hearts, in a competitive game, when he took over from Robbie on Saturday.

Having gone to the committee I expect Csaba to come back and confirm Zaliukas as captain

I expect the usual suspects to back both that decision, and also the about-turn of Csaba and the contradiction it presents

:rolleyes::tongue:

Who captained Hearts at ibrox in may 2006? Was it Skacel?

i believe so

edit: beaten to it, why can't i delete posts?

Sexton Hardcastle
I'm pretty certain Karipidis became the first non British captain of Hearts, in a competitive game, when he took over from Robbie on Saturday.

Who captained Hearts at ibrox in may 2006? Was it Skacel?

Yup - think so

So there goes that idea then..

tartofmidlothian

Surely Stephane Adam pulled on the armband at some point, even just because of a sub or something? Flogel? Stamp??

Interesting point, hopefully wiser posters can enlighten us.

EDIT: Sorry, not Stamp. You said 'non-British', not 'non-Scottish'! Doh.

Guest JamboRobbo
I'd actually let Larry loose with the captaincy.

Controversial.

wouldn't surprise me if thats what Vlad does. Higher potential sell on value than Karapidas (out of contract) or Robbie (cause he's Robbie).

I'd actually let Larry loose with the captaincy.

Controversial.

Very.

Especially if the team follows his lead.

Means we'd only put in a performance every 1 game in 5.

Not the sort of record I think any of us want.

wouldn't surprise me if thats what Vlad does. Higher potential sell on value than Karapidas (out of contract) or Robbie (cause he's Robbie).

Not because either of them are suitable for the position.

Heaven forbid.

That wouldnt fit with a conspiracy, behind the scenes, Vlad meddling view of things.

Heaven forbid.

That wouldnt fit with a conspiracy, behind the scenes, Vlad meddling view of things.

Who would you give the captaincy to Baps?

As for the topic, I would agree with those being the prime contenders, but, it surely has to be Robbie for Captain and Karipidis for Vice Captain. Robbie has been here for such a long time and gives his all and this decides it for me.

Stewart would be a disaster, the last thing we need is a captain who runs around moaning at folk when he makes mistakes or making suicidal challenges when he balls up.

Guest JamboRobbo

Heaven forbid.

Indeed. Couldn't possibly just be an opinion, cause that wouldn't fit with your "JR's a conspiracy theorist" conspiracy theory.

Difficult to captain the team from the bench:)

Who would you give the captaincy to Baps?

As for the topic, I would agree with those being the prime contenders, but, it surely has to be Robbie for Captain and Karipidis for Vice Captain. Robbie has been here for such a long time and gives his all and this decides it for me.

Stewart would be a disaster, the last thing we need is a captain who runs around moaning at folk when he makes mistakes or making suicidal challenges when he balls up.

A Captain requires respect of both his team mates and the refs - that generally comes with experience.

He has to have the right temperament, and be prepared to lead by example on the field, both in playing through tough games, and also sticking up for the team.

He also has to be able to establish a dialogue with the team and refs during a game.

He has to be a mainstay of the team, regulalrly playing, not in and out.

This for me leaves 3 contenders - Bruno, Karipids and Robbie.

Id like Bruno to have it. He is not the youngest, has the right temperament and I think gets respect. He is certainly a fans favourite.

Karapidis also has the required qualities, and I have seen him try and get the team involved, but my concern is that he might be too quiet.

Robbie is the obvious choice, as he also fits all the criteria and has the level of experience at the club.

In truth, either of these 3 would be ok for me. I expect it will be Robbie.

Stewart and Kingston simply dont have the correct nature, and inconsistent style of play to be a mianstay of the team, and therefore rule themselves out of being a Captain.

Alternatively id take Pressley back or Fyssas and give it to them in a heartbeat.

I think they use the Captains role to increase the sell on value of a player. So Kari might be ahead of robbie for that reason. It might also encourage him to stay/sign a new contract, further increasing his value.

Using the last two examples (Gordon and Berra) it hasn’t always been the most suitable candidate selected. Very few would have said berra was the obvious choice. So for next season could it be Jonsson, Wallace or the Balogh. Not because they are the best suited, but it will add value.

Hopefully CL will get the men HE wants.

i think we should operate without a captain.

we've gone down the route of playing without strikers, so why not a captain?

Sergio Garcia

We had this discussion on Saturday at game and between three of us, we had three choices, one being Robbie (my bros choice), one being Kari (our mates choice) and the last being mine was Eggy.

All very good candidates IMO and i wouldnt be too displeased with any of them.

One who i cant make my mind up is Stewart, at times i think he would be great captain material and and other times, the word BOLT comes to mind. Perhaps captain will mature him and sort his attitide, something has got too.

Charlie-Brown

Craig Thomson's emergence & progress might well be giving them some serious food for thought over what kind of future contract offer is made to Neilson?

Craig Thomson's emergence & progress might well be giving them some serious food for thought over what kind of future contract offer is made to Neilson?

Stop being ridicolous

Thomson maybe is a very good prospect, however, he is 18 and if he can't get on the bench before Jason Thomson he can't be anywere near being a long term replacement for Robbie.

Brown is more of a threat to Robbie and in all honesty I would be surprised if Robbie isnt our first choice RB for a good few more years as well as captain.

If he is overlooked on the other hand then I wonder if he will look to leave, certainly not something I would want to see happen.

Since he came back from injury he has made that RB his own and proven himself to be one of the better RB's in the SPL.

So there goes that idea then..

Foreigners who SHOULD have been captain, if only for one game:

Gilles Rousset

Takis Fysass

Stefano Salvatori

Pasquale Bruno

Tam Flogel

tartofmidlothian

Barring loan spells, Robbie's that rarest of things these days - a one club player. Regardless of the captaincy (which I think he deserves, although might be overlooked for in favour of a more saleable talent, ie Kari, Eggy) that's why I hope he ends his career with us.

Since he came back from injury he has made that RB his own and proven himself to be one of the better RB's in the SPL.

Post of the year so far :4_1_111:

Robbie is awesome :D

Charlie-Brown

Gary Naysmith was only 17-18 & hadn't featured before he burst through & completely dislodged the established Neil Pointon who was a very solid & reliable senior player who'd played well for us & hadn't let us down....August is another 7 months away and if C.Thomson continues to make progress in the next 7 months like he has in the last 7 months then it will be very difficult to keep him out the team.

loveofthegame

If both where to stay, i'd give it to Kari, but i sincerely doubt he'll still be here next season.

Robbie probably will still be here next season, so he's the most likely. I stick by my call that Eggert would be a decent call, despite his young age.

Guest JamboRobbo
Gary Naysmith was only 17-18 & hadn't featured before he burst through & completely dislodged the established Neil Pointon who was a very solid & reliable senior player who'd played well for us & hadn't let us down....August is another 7 months away and if C.Thomson continues to make progress in the next 7 months like he has in the last 7 months then it will be very difficult to keep him out the team.

says the man who argued we should play Mole ahead of Glen.

So its ok to throw full backs into the lions but not, say, strikers such as Glen?

Why would putting Thomson in the team be right but not Glen?

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Surely Wilfried Ouefiou was captain at least once. If not I want to know why

Completely disagree

Its not difficult at all to comprehend why we play Neilson before him and Brown, both have a lot to do before they can make a reasonable claim to that jersey.

The fact that Jason Thomson is seen as more of a first team player than them both says it all as well as frankly Thomson isnt fit to clean Neilson's boots :laugh:

Charlie-Brown
So its ok to throw full backs into the lions but not, say, strikers such as Glen?

Craig Thomson is playing better and more consistently than Glen this season ... however i didn't say put Thomson in the team - what iam saying is that his emergence is reminiscent of Naysmith's emergence and i think come the start of the season he will be battering down the door for a first team place - if that proves to be the case and the coaches & management agree with that assessment they might consider what they offer Neilson if there is a good chance he will be pushed aside by one of our most promising youngsters.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I wouldn't be against the thought of Kari being made captain. If anything it might persuade him a wee bit more to sign on again should we offer him a new deal. Which I think we should.

Guest JamboRobbo

Anything to have a dig at oor Robbie.

Guest JamboRobbo
Karipidis is not brave enough to be captain.

Neilson should be offered a new 3 year deal and the captaincy.

Why only 3 years? 5 years would be more sensible surely?

Why only 3 years? 5 years would be more sensible surely?

:)

3 years is the right length for good experienced proven players I think.

Julien Brellier captained Hearts the first game after Elvis was "released" did he not ? Ivanauskas was quoted in the week leading up to it saying that Hearts fans would be happy with his choice of captain for that weekend's game.

Think Robbie was injured at that point.

Might be wrong - sure you'sll tell me quick enough.

Guest JamboRobbo
:)

3 years is the right length for good experienced proven players I think.

But with the market being so poor right now, we will be in a strong position to negotiate. Given Robbie is clearly going to be a Hearts player for the rest of his career, we'd be as well tying him to a 5 year deal now when market conditions favour clubs rather than players.....:D

Foreigners who SHOULD have been captain, if only for one game:

Gilles Rousset

Takis Fysass

Stefano Salvatori

Pasquale Bruno

Tam Flogel

I'm sure he did in his last competative game. He ran around like a madman kicking anything that moved if it was not in a maroon jersey. He gut subbed early on before his final appearance ended in a red card.

The man was quality!!!

But with the market being so poor right now, we will be in a strong position to negotiate. Given Robbie is clearly going to be a Hearts player for the rest of his career, we'd be as well tying him to a 5 year deal now when market conditions favour clubs rather than players.....:D

There's apparently someone in the Tynecastle U-12s who will be ready by the end of that 5 year contract.

I'd be happy with either Kari or Robbie.

In fact I don't much care who it is as long as it ain't Stewart or Larry!

I'm sure he did in his last competative game. He ran around like a madman kicking anything that moved if it was not in a maroon jersey. He gut subbed early on before his final appearance ended in a red card.

The man was quality!!!

Ha Ha! I don't remember that, but he's just went even higher in my estimatations!!

Archived