Eddie Smith (merged threads)

Dirk Diggler

Not looking for any excuses, We were poor and didn't deserve much, if anything from the game. Tactics were poor, players were poor.....

Eddie Smith and his assistants were fecking awful also though.

I've had it suggested to me that Eddie Smith is Hamilton born and bred (although a rabid tim). I don't know if true or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Should a top flight referee be allowed to officiate a game involving his home town club?

Should a referee with known allegiances to a certain club be allowed to officiate any of that teams games.

I think procedures are in place in other countries to ensure this doesn't happen.

Why not here?

Because there will always be a majority of top flight refs brought up in the west who were on one side or the other?

Not an excuse IMO.

Until that is sorted, there will always be question marks raised about the integrity of our top flight officials.

Guest jambomickey

the usual crap standard from ref and linesman yesterday but they didn't cost us the game! we could still have been playing and not scored

the usual crap standard from ref and linesman yesterday but they didn't cost us the game! we could still have been playing and not scored

Yeah, I think I covered that with my opening line. :mw_rolleyes:

Yet again, you fail to comprehend the point of the OP.

Malinga the Swinga

Disagree, first goal wouldn't have counted, we would have had penalty, and their penalty had no contact in the box, in fact there was no contact to speak off.

How come that MOD EDIT Eddie Smith from Hamilton is allowed to referee a game in his home town?

Surely a conflict of interests?

Guest jambomickey
Yeah, I think I covered that with my opening line. :mw_rolleyes:

Yet again, you fail to comprehend the point of the OP.

agree with everything you said. it's yourself who finds it hard to accept somebody else opinion

Guest jambomickey
Disagree, first goal wouldn't have counted, we would have had penalty, and their penalty had no contact in the box, in fact there was no contact to speak off.

we were never in the game before they scored and they looked like scoring

Nucky Thompson
Not looking for any excuses, We were poor and didn't deserve much, if anything from the game. Tactics were poor, players were poor.....

Eddie Smith and his assistants were fecking awful also though.

I've had it suggested to me that Eddie Smith is Hamilton born and bred (although a rabid tim). I don't know if true or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Should a top flight referee be allowed to officiate a game involving his home town club?

Should a referee with known allegiances to a certain club be allowed to officiate any of that teams games.

I think procedures are in place in other countries to ensure this doesn't happen.

Why not here?

Because there will always be a majority of top flight refs brought up in the west who were on one side or the other?

Not an excuse IMO.

Until that is sorted, there will always be question marks raised about the integrity of our top flight officials.

Don't think it matters where the ref comes from to be honest. We had an Edinburgh ref when we beat Rangers;) and Calum Murray who is a Jambo when we played Hubz.

Don't think it matters where the ref comes from to be honest. We had an Edinburgh ref when we beat Rangers;) and Calum Murray who is a Jambo when we played Hubz.

exactly, what if a ref in the EPL is from london- cant ref arsenal, chelsea, fulham, spurs, west ham, crystal palace, millwall etc

however he was poor yesterday, but i dont think thats down to where he is from.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
agree with everything you said. it's yourself who finds it hard to accept somebody else opinion

Confusing post IMO.

I disagree. Some ref's in the past have had death threats before games. This must have a bearing on their decision making.

Because he?s known to be a Sellick man not a Hamilton fan...? Bet he had a cheap night out at his local last night though...

Yip, everytime we lose, blame the Ref!! You sound as paranoid as the Smeltic Supporters.

Did you see the game? Do you think it's coincidence that the 3 major decisions of the game (wrongly) went against us?

Just proves that Jambos considerably more honest than any other supporters.

Then again, maybe Murray's just a good ref.

Nucky Thompson
Just proves that Jambos considerably more honest than any other supporters.

Then again, maybe Murray's just a good ref.

Murray is the best ref in Scotland. Fair and not a cheat and bitter like McDonald.

Guest jambomickey
Murray is the best ref in Scotland. Fair and not a cheat and bitter like McDonald.

agreed! murray by far the best ref

I disagree. Some ref's in the past have had death threats before games. This must have a bearing on their decision making.

Smith should not referee a Hamilton game.

I think the SFA do this to justify having a weegie reffing the OF games against other teams. They have stopped giving out the towns where the refs and assistants come from. Why?

On recent evidence Murray is without doubt the top ref.

Drylaw Hearts

Unless I'm mistaken Murray is from Edinburgh and I don't recall anyone saying he shouldn't Ref our matches.

having just watched the full spl on the telly even tangoman was saying never a penalty against us and how embarassed the players , including hamilton ones, were that we didn't get a penalty. gotta agree. Not even up to the standard of the ref who turned up for my son's u14 game today and he was gash disinterested just wanted his ?30 so he could go and do another game later to line his pockets.

Unless I'm mistaken Murray is from Edinburgh and I don't recall anyone saying he shouldn't Ref our matches.

Livingston, and yes he should not ref our matches if he is a Jambo.

Eddie Smith - Hamilton man directly related to McManus of Celtic and Clarkson of Motherwell for what it's worth! Dodgy pens for those two teams then aswell!

Guest GhostHunter

So does that mean that 90% of the SFA refs are not allowed to referee a Rangers or Celtic game because they are from Glasgow ?

Eddie Smith is a fervent Celtic supporter and jokes about what he can do to help them at the local Hamilton Chapel....source - my best man who attends the same chapel.

Guest JamboRobbo
Smith should not referee a Hamilton game.

I think the SFA do this to justify having a weegie reffing the OF games against other teams. They have stopped giving out the towns where the refs and assistants come from. Why?

On recent evidence Murray is without doubt the top ref.

It'll be so they can cheat to stop us winning the league all the time.

Ah, the weekly blame the ref thread.

Ah, the half-hourly high-horse/attempt to take the moral high ground post.

Have you seen the incidents JR ? He got every single one of them wrong.

It was said in the OP (and by most since) that we didn't deserve much or did you just choose to ignore that ?

Guest JamboRobbo
Ah, the half-hourly high-horse/attempt to take the moral high ground post.

Have you seen the incidents JR ? He got every single one of them wrong.

It was said in the OP (and by most since) that we didn't deserve much or did you just choose to ignore that ?

Apologies for having an opinion.

My opinion is for what its worth that we got what we deserved on Saturday.

I reserved opinion on the decisions until I saw them again and ffs handball for the 1st when he is up with play, handball for the pen we didnt get when he is that close he could have tied they guys lace and not only was theres the softest penalty I have ever seen it was also offside when the ball first went wide (although you cant see that from the highlights). Driver is the same distance as the ref when there man handles it and his hand shoots up straight away.

We should have scored and this one up front is doing my nut in but if you claim to be the third force and pushing for europe regardless of bad referee decisions you should do enough to win. Not taking anything away from Hamilton cos there is no stand out team in terms of weakness this year in the SPL and every game has potentials to be a loss if you are not on form and we werent.

I don't think it is and I don't think most people are saying that. For what it's worth I don't think we deserved anything from the game because we played badly but we weren't helped by several very poor decisions from the officials. Even from the other end of the park I could see the obvious hand ball before Hamilton scored their first. It was also very clear that, prior to their penalty, the Hamilton player was offside. I haven't seen the highlights so can't comment on our penalty claim, which I didn't see. As I said, we were very poor and didn't deserve to win the game but our cause wasn't helped by very poor officiating, not cheating, just incompetence. I haven't seen Calderwood's remarks on Setanta yet but, if he's saying we were "done over" (to quote another Kickbacker), then there must be something in it.

The 2 penalty decisions were ridiculous.

The one which should have been given to us is clear handball.

And the one which was actually given was not a penalty. If that was a penalty what about the literally hundreds of times in a game when players bump into each other/pull jerseys etc in the penalty box?

I think we were by quite a long way the poorer side on Saturday and deserved nothing from the game - not least because of the lack of effort from the manager to win the game. But the 2 penalty decisions were shockers.

gorgie rd eh11

So you didn't see the hamilton player handle the ball in the lead up to their first goal? You must have eyesight like the stand side assistant who missed it :mw_rolleyes: from 5 yards. The handball by the hamilton player in the box was a much clearer penalty than the one the ref gave after the hamilton player collapsed in the box. More dreadful decision making involving Hearts and quite rightly pointed out.

So you didn't see the hamilton player handle the ball in the lead up to their first goal? You must have eyesight like the stand side assistant who missed it :mw_rolleyes: from 5 yards. The handball by the hamilton player in the box was a much clearer penalty than the one the ref gave after the hamilton player collapsed in the box. More dreadful decision making involving Hearts and quite rightly pointed out.

The corner they scored from should never have been awarded as Bruno was on the ground with a head knock.The ref played on for about another 20 seconds enabling them to win the corner but play should be stop as soon as Bruno goes to ground with the head knock.

I thought that the corner given to Hamilton that led to the goal was not a corner.

I thought that the hand ball by a Hamilton player was a penalty.

I thought that the penalty given to Hamilton was either a foul outside the box or no foul at all.

All in all, a bad bunch of decisions from the ref.

As for the suggestions in the OP, I honestly believe that prospective referees should be made to declare their footballing allegiances to their employers and precluded from refereeing games involving their boyhood heroes. The reason that doesn't happen is that they would be toiling for referees to ref all R@ng*rs and all C*lt!c games.

Colonel Kurtz

Why then will Smith never be allowed to ref an old firm match.

Just watched the BBC highlights.

The Hamilton player clearly stretches his arm out to control the ball - right in front of the Referee!

Criminal decision not to award a penalty - END OF!!:mad:

john brownlee

scot burns of the express thinks in the ref watch that eddie smith officiated the game well and left nothing for either side to complain about

he's havin' a laugh more hand balls since basketball was invented class 'A' tube

Apologies for having an opinion.

You didn't answer the question. Did you see any of the incidents in question? I'll assume you weren't at the game...:mw_rolleyes:

Guest JamboRobbo
You didn't answer the question. Did you see any of the incidents in question? I'll assume you weren't at the game...:mw_rolleyes:

Yes, I was at the game and saw the incidents in question. No, I don't think the referee is a cheat, and no, I don't think he was out to get HMFC.

I'll assume you weren't at the game, and put a :mw_rolleyes: smiley in your direction also.

Can't believe that anyone at the game does not believe the referee's incompetence influenced the result. Yes we should have scored in the first half but the penalty gave us a mountain to climb with them sitting in and more sides than the Hearts would have failed to take anything from the game after that.

Yes, I was at the game and saw the incidents in question. No, I don't think the referee is a cheat, and no, I don't think he was out to get HMFC.

I'll assume you weren't at the game, and put a :mw_rolleyes: smiley in your direction also.

How do you explain him not giving us the pen for handball then?

He was no more then 5 yards away with a clear view.

JR,

If Eddie Smith knew that he could be suspended for say a month after making 3 indefensible errors during the course of one game, do you still think those 3 decisions would have all went Hamilton's way?

I'm not saying Smith's decisions went beyond incompetence (i.e accusing him of cheating), but were you really surprised by the decisions?

I also wonder if it has been noted in SFA Towers that Hearts have actually conducted themselves impeccably since Saturday, once you see the evidence.

Archived