Weather next week - sledges at the ready !

Drew Busby !

Seems to be general agreement amongst the forecast models - including the metoffice - that next week has genuine potential for widespread snow.

Although of course we're generally pretty well sheltered in Embra toon, this cold and snow would be coming from the east, which is traditionally the best way for the city to get dumped on.

Given the vagaries of forecasting, it still may not transpire. But the likliehood is now coming into the normally fairly reliable forecast timeframe...

So get the sledges ready, but don't get the kids too hyped up just yet !

scottish_chicP
If it's gonna snow lets have snow worth talking about. Give us at least a foot or two and some chaos!

I agree like not being able to get from west lothian to edinburgh and having to take the day off work!! :tongue:

I agree like not being able to get from west lothian to edinburgh and having to take the day off work!! :tongue:

I'm west lothian to the weej :laugh:

As long as it's in West Lothian!

The greenhouse winters here in the last 15 years or so are certain to have left local authorities hopelessly complacent and unprepared. I reckon 2 or 3 inches of the white stuff will see most of us housebound for a couple of days !

No sign of sustained snow here.

:o

Heres the metoffice take on it, but other models back this up. It's still too early to talk specfics (where or how much)... it's all about potential at this stage. Here in Embra, about the only way to get hit by the white stuff is from the east. These are just the first indications that this may be on the cards...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html (Day 6 to 15)

UK Outlook for Monday 2 Feb 2009 to Wednesday 11 Feb 2009:

There is now reasonable confidence for a colder easterly regime to have become established by the start of this forecast period. It will probably be mostly dry at first with overnight frost and some patches of fog in western parts, perhaps also some snow flurries in eastern areas. As we go through the first week though, there looks to be an increasing risk of some wintry precipitation at times, this most likely near the east coast. Longer term, through the week-end and into the following week, indications are that the cold or rather cold weather may persist along with the risk of some snow at times. Confidence in the amount and distribution of any snow is low however at this stage.

Updated: 1143 on Wed 28 Jan 2009

I like to look at snow from the window.

Too old to go out in it now :eek:

:laugh: Thats exactly how I feel too, where I live is very hilly and its not much fun slipping and sliding everytime I go outside.

Inspector Rex

I hate you all.

The max temp today where I live was 44.3 degrees. I'd consider killing a small animal for a glimpse of snow. :(

From Metoffice forecast:

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Generally cold, bright and windy on Saturday, with rain in the west edging away westwards. Bitterly cold through Sunday and Monday, with occasional snow - especially towards the east.

Updated: 0233 on Thu 29 Jan 2009

If Edinburgh isn't like this next week, I'll be gutted. 3000 dead old folk as well we need a snow fuelled cull:laugh:

Miniskirts_in_snow_storm.jpg

Im going to aviemore this weekend for my birthday so hopefully that will mean good snow for snowblading!! As I would be rather angry at missing the football to go snowblading when there is no snow in aviemore!!

First Metoffice warnings coming out now for Monday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=5

Good chance that the usual inch of snow might bring the area to a standstill... Better start practicing that convincing "car won't start/driveway is blocked/buses have stopped running" phone call to work first thing on Monday. :laugh:

We had a wee bit of snow in EH12 last week (or was it the week before last?), but it was gone by the afternoon.

Certainly when I was a kid growing up in the 80s, we had plenty of snowfall, our a classic slide was off the embankment of Calder Road down onto Saughton Mains Grove.

I didn't have a sledge, but I did have a waxed-up Diamond Heavy beer tray.

Them were the days.

Buffalo Bill

Guest GhostHunter
Seems to be general agreement amongst the forecast models - including the metoffice - that next week has genuine potential for widespread snow.

Although of course we're generally pretty well sheltered in Embra toon, this cold and snow would be coming from the east, which is traditionally the best way for the city to get dumped on.

Given the vagaries of forecasting, it still may not transpire. But the likliehood is now coming into the normally fairly reliable forecast timeframe...

So get the sledges ready, but don't get the kids too hyped up just yet !

Thought I was the only saddo who followed the models :)

They are showing major cold pooling heading our way from Russia, which means an Easterly, which usually equates to bone chilling cold...added to the major snow forecast for Mon/Tues and Wed (though I think it'll start on Sunday) it should be interesting next week....

As it's an easterly type, Edinburgh should get a walloping as it moves across the country...

Meto already got a severe weather warning up for Monday...I'm watching the ECM just now, as they've been best so far...Reckon on temps next week not hitting above zero....

Thought I was the only saddo who followed the models :)

They are showing major cold pooling heading our way from Russia, which means an Easterly, which usually equates to bone chilling cold...added to the major snow forecast for Mon/Tues and Wed (though I think it'll start on Sunday) it should be interesting next week....

As it's an easterly type, Edinburgh should get a walloping as it moves across the country...

Meto already got a severe weather warning up for Monday...I'm watching the ECM just now, as they've been best so far...Reckon on temps next week not hitting above zero....

Got me bang to rights Dexter. I AM a long-term saddo model-watcher :laugh:

Looks like it's starting to kick-off down sarf, I'm sure a few exiled JKB'rs will be able to verify as much. Up here, possibly going to be marginal right on the east coast/sea level. Inland/slightly higher up, think theres a strong chance we'll be seeing the white stuff taking hold in the next 24 hours.

In Stirling pretty likely that you'll get the snow coming up the estuary and sticking. Ready made excuse for tomorrows difficult commute... and down there it'll be the BBC's breakfast headline "as the SE grinds to a halt"

Edit: suspect these Metoffice warnings and advisorys will prove to be slightly hyped up for the coming week, but looks like every day we're in for a chance of something interesting up here.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=5

Guest GhostHunter

There's a storm moving along the east coast of the US that apparantly is what the gfs is picking up on later in it's run - if you look towards the end, it's like armageddon :)

This whole week is going to be baltic up here, some serious snow on the way as well.

MetO are underplaying the warning for us, I expect some upgrades and more "extreme" warnings over tomorrow....

We had a wee bit of snow in EH12 last week (or was it the week before last?), but it was gone by the afternoon.

Certainly when I was a kid growing up in the 80s, we had plenty of snowfall, our a classic slide was off the embankment of Calder Road down onto Saughton Mains Grove.

I didn't have a sledge, but I did have a waxed-up Diamond Heavy beer tray.

Them were the days.

Buffalo Bill

would that no be the 70's?

There's a storm moving along the east coast of the US that apparantly is what the gfs is picking up on later in it's run - if you look towards the end, it's like armageddon :)

This whole week is going to be baltic up here, some serious snow on the way as well.

MetO are underplaying the warning for us, I expect some upgrades and more "extreme" warnings over tomorrow....

You're a "ramper" mate ! :D

SACRA Roolz

lolz!!!!11

Keeping my eye on the metoffice radar for whats coming in. Plenty of echoes nearby but nothing falling out the sky in Embra toon yet. Temp at Embra airport is 2c but dewpoint -5c .. if it gets started here, it'll be snow allright.

Keeping my eye on the metoffice radar for whats coming in. Plenty of echoes nearby but nothing falling out the sky in Embra toon yet. Temp at Embra airport is 2c but dewpoint -5c .. if it gets started here, it'll be snow allright.

Can you explain the bit in bold for the uninitiated?

Can you explain the bit in bold for the uninitiated?

The "dry bulb" temp measurement measures the actual air temperature, 2c at this point. The "wet bulb" temp measurement .. the dew point ... indicates the evaporative potential of the air... With a lot of quite cold but very dry air like today, then it means even if the air temperature is above freezing...if it starts to snow then the "wet" ever so slightly melting snow will saturate the dry air as it falls through the atmosphere. If it keeps doing that, then the dry air is saturated ... but cools ... to around 0c more or less. It means that the any snow which falls can do so above freezing point ... but in doing so it brings the air temperature down to around 0c.

Its one of the reasons why snow is so marginal in this country. If the dew point is above freezing then even if it snows like mad then you'll probably end up with nothing better than sleet and slush as the air temperature can't be brought down to 0c.

OK I just botched that explanation ... try wikipedia ! :laugh:

The "dry bulb" temp measurement measures the actual air temperature, 2c at this point. The "wet bulb" temp measurement .. the dew point ... indicates the evaporative potential of the air... With a lot of quite cold but very dry air like today, then it means even if the air temperature is above freezing...if it starts to snow then the "wet" ever so slightly melting snow will saturate the dry air as it falls through the atmosphere. If it keeps doing that, then the dry air is saturated ... but cools ... to around 0c more or less. It means that the any snow which falls can do so above freezing point ... but in doing so it brings the air temperature down to around 0c.

Its one of the reasons why snow is so marginal in this country. If the dew point is above freezing then even if it snows like mad then you'll probably end up with nothing better than sleet and slush as the air temperature can't be brought down to 0c.

OK I just botched that explanation ... try wikipedia ! :laugh:

OK, thanks for the explanation. I think I understand!

Snowing in central London just now. Pretty lame attempt at it right enough, but at least its lying so its something :D

Meant to get worse by tomorrow too. Could be a funny day considering how they normally manage to cope with snow down here :laugh:

Snowing in central London just now. Pretty lame attempt at it right enough, but at least its lying so its something :D

Meant to get worse by tomorrow too. Could be a funny day considering how they normally manage to cope with snow down here :laugh:

London Leicster Square webcam shows it up nicely. Haven't seen Princes Street looking snowed up like that since the mid 1990's...

http://www.radissonedwardian.co.uk/leicester-sq-webcam.html

London Leicster Square webcam shows it up nicely. Haven't seen Princes Street looking snowed up like that since the mid 1990's...

http://www.radissonedwardian.co.uk/leicester-sq-webcam.html

Christ on a bike - PS3 is addictive.

Didn't even realise it had been snowing until I saw this thread.

Worrying, very worrying.

Its started chaps. Heavy hail/snow shower in Drylaw as we speak and a big white Russian looking sky to the east

Its lying pretty thick out there this morning. Looks nice but the cold made it an extra difficult to get out my pitt this morning. Think the novelty will be well and truely worn off by the time i trawl through the sludge to work. :(

blondejamtart

Well, we've got plenty of snow out in the arctic wildness of Gorebridge - main roads aren't too bad, but the side roads are a different story. Wouldn't have liked to try to drive up the hill from our lane onto the road without my trusty 4x4, that's for sure. Not so much of it in Dalkeith though...

Mac_fae_Gillie

If wish employers would just shut down for a day or 2 when its like this,would love to just enjoy the snow instead of drive through it to work.

Of course the police say stay at home unless its an emergency,I'm very shocked the the number of people on the roads presently attending emergencies about the same as attend work.

I want to sledge(or poly bag)...

blondejamtart

Yes, it would be great if you could just enjoy it - then go back home and warm up in front of a roaring fire. It's having to go out and about to work etc in it with all the eejits who haven't a clue how to drive it in which bugs the hell out of me!

Woke up to 3 maybe 4 inches of snow here this morning.

Just had an email from Uni saying not to go in as no teaching will be taking place.

Quite pathetic really. Not that I'm complaining :D

Oh well, back to bed it is.

scottish_chicP

Unfortunately I made it to work today. Not sure how easy it will be to get home later, it has meant to get worse throughout the day

Ah. A wee bit of snow and everyone goes mad ;) gotta love it.

Have to say, I wish I was in my flat and not at work though :( couple of people have "decided" to take the day off.

Woke up to 3 maybe 4 inches of snow here this morning.

Just had an email from Uni saying not to go in as no teaching will be taking place.

Quite pathetic really. Not that I'm complaining :D

Oh well, back to bed it is.

You made the right call.

Three hours to get to work today only to find that almost nobody (including the bosses) had made it in.

Still, got a company taxi home at 3pm and with the empty roads it only took 30 mins.

Off to the pub shortly.

I may well teach some of the wee bawbags down here how to make a proper snowball (ice, stones, spit etc) on the way home.

Really hope it piles down tonight so that school is off tomorrow. :tongue:

No chance of that though is there, really? Isn't it meant to rain during the night?

Really hope it piles down tonight so that school is off tomorrow. :tongue:

No chance of that though is there, really? Isn't it meant to rain during the night?

Same here mate.

Forecasts say it's supposed to snow during the night. Here's hoping!:)

Same here mate.

Forecasts say it's supposed to snow during the night. Here's hoping!:)

Only reason it would be cancelled would be if it snowed a lot where the teachers lived and couldn't get into school, fingers crossed! :o

Only reason it would be cancelled would be if it snowed a lot where the teachers lived and couldn't get into school, fingers crossed! :o

Fingers crossed. Don't get your hopes up too much though, cause we'll end up having to go to school and we'll be devastated!:eek:

Archived