Tracing families

yvonnejambo

My life is about to change!

I am adopted and before Christmas decided it was about time I did sme tracing of my birth family.

I got a copy of my real birth certificate and that gave me my birth name and mothers name and address. (good Jambo area of Edinburgh thankfully)

My friend has been doing some searching for me and I have now just had a call from her saying they have traced my Mum!

I have now just come off the phone from my real mums best friend who has told me my Mum has tried to look for me for years and she is Australian and back living over there. So now I am waiting to speak to my mum later on tonight for the first time ever. I have a large vodka in my hand and cant think of what I am supposed to be doing!

Anyone else done anything like this?

Its the most freaky thing ever but sounding better than I thought.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I really hope it goes well, Yvonne. Great to hear you're excited about this. I have two adopted children. Unfortunately for them they experienced an early life of terrible abuse, so won't ever be able to have the same sense of excitement around birth parents. But it's wonderful to hear positive adoption stories.

My friend went through similar. Her birth mum got in touch with her and she found out she had 2 sisters whom she is now very good friends with. She has a very good relationship with her birth mum but sees her more like a really good friend rather than a mother.

Her parents were a little bit scared at first, think they thought they might lose their 'little' girl (she's 40 as well) but not the case. All in all it's been a very, very positive thing for her. She hasn't spoken to the birth father yet - he can't handle it all as he has since moved on, has a new wife and kids who know nothing about my friend. So there are possible set backs and delicate situations.

My friend's husband now moans that he has 2 mother-in-laws :mw_rolleyes:

Good luck to you, it's a mutual thing as you have both been looking for each other so I hope it goes well!!!

I am adopted and before Christmas decided it was about time I did sme tracing of my birth family.

I got a copy of my real birth certificate and that gave me my birth name and mothers name and address. (good Jambo area of Edinburgh thankfully)

My friend has been doing some searching for me and I have now just had a call from her saying they have traced my Mum!

I have now just come off the phone from my real mums best friend who has told me my Mum has tried to look for me for years and she is Australian and back living over there. So now I am waiting to speak to my mum later on tonight for the first time ever. I have a large vodka in my hand and cant think of what I am supposed to be doing!

Thats class Yvonne... hope it goes well for you.

eddie fenwick

good luck,really hope this goes well for you

Thanks all, all I know now is that she was over on a gap year and fell pregnant to a sailor. A family in Edinburgh took her in and that she had no choice back then other than give me up. She has never married or had any more kids.

What do you say to your mum on the phone after 40 years and never having met her?

Anyway on 2nd vodka but not wanting to get drunk :)

You must be bricking it!

What does your step parents thing about it?

I am!

My adopted parents well my mum hasnt spoke to me for years and my Dad lives in Thailand but he wont have a problem with it.

Early Doors situation (I know the lassie in the programme was looking for her real dad).

I hope your reunion goes as well as it did for a friend of mine's wife a few years ago. If it does you better start saving for a trip to Oz.

Good luck.

Miller Jambo 60

Ive been lucky until my wifes mother hooked me.

TBH at least your mum is wanting to see you, and i bet you are wanting to see her.

I lost my mum at 43 , was not nice but the familly pulled together.

you have not had it easy pal but this could be a big turning point for you.

Remember she will be as nervous as you , so take it easy.

Keep me updated pal.

Doug xx

Guest jambomickey

best of luck with that yvonne! hope it works out for the best for you.:D

I am really happy for you Yvonne. You always sound very mature so your possibly less than perfect family life has not impacted you to the outside observer. I hope and am sure this will all go well for you , and the best of luck with it.

Ive been lucky until my wifes mother hooked me.

An adopted woman must be your worst nightmare Doug...............2 mums to knock you about.:D

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
I am!

My adopted parents well my mum hasnt spoke to me for years and my Dad lives in Thailand but he wont have a problem with it.

Kool. All the best.

I seem to remember you had that as a new year resolution so you are doing better than I am with mine! :eek:

Guest S.U.S.S.
Thanks all, all I know now is that she was over on a gap year and fell pregnant to a sailor. A family in Edinburgh took her in and that she had no choice back then other than give me up. She has never married or had any more kids.

What do you say to your mum on the phone after 40 years and never having met her?

Anyway on 2nd vodka but not wanting to get drunk :)

As stupid as it sounds im sure the right words will simply come to you both.

All the best.

The very best of luck kid,and I truly mean that!

My mates life is now complete since he met his Dad at the age of 40.

This story deserves a happy ending , i hope you get one:)

Just spoke to her and guess what?????

She has been to Tynecastle at a Hearts v Dundee game, she watched the riot as Hearts won in the last minute of the game :laugh:

She said she went around past the Dundee fans shouting Hearts, so I guess I know where I get that from now then :laugh:

Miller Jambo 60

She has been to Tynecastle at a Hearts v Dundee game, she watched the riot as Hearts won in the last minute of the game :laugh:

She said she went around past the Dundee fans shouting Hearts, so I guess I know where I get that from now then :laugh:

Theres a 1st the doug has a tear in his eye.

Im a sap and proud to be one.

Happy for you.

Doug the SAP

Quality..today is the beginning of a new life....hope you enjoy it immensely !

I P Knightley

Class!

Your first words to your Mum were, "Are you a jambo?"

Only joking - fantastic story & I love a happy ending. We had a wee bit of a related story in our family a few years back and the ending was mixed happiness.

Best of luck!

I P Knightley

Happy for you.

Doug the SAP

Am I the only one wondering how you'd have taken it if Yvonne's Mum turned out to have been a Hibby in her Edinburgh years?

DuffKirkMacKenzie

Happy for you.

Doug the SAP

Like Doug, I had a tear in my eye and he says it all.

Best of luck :mw_rolleyes:

Miller Jambo 60
Am I the only one wondering how you'd have taken it if Yvonne's Mum turned out to have been a Hibby in her Edinburgh years?

Coffee mate Gorgie Rule:laugh:

Nice Ending:o

Nice one Yvonne, glad to hear it went well..

Hope theres meny more good times to come for you and your mum..

Good luck Yvonne, it sounds like it will be fine.

I used to work with Barnardos, not in this kinda sphere, but saw from the outside how happy this can be when you get together. I really wish you all the best x

Miller Jambo 60

My big brothers a hibee say no more:108years:

Think im still in shock. Cheers for all the messages didnt think I would get this response on here. Will save up for trip to Oz :)

Miller Jambo 60
Think im still in shock. Cheers for all the messages didnt think I would get this response on here. Will save up for trip to Oz :)

Thanks you had the Doug in tears.

Happy for you.

Funny its only women that do it to me.

Still not talkin to the witch.:eek:

I P Knightley
My big brothers a hibee say no more:108years:

NEVER!!

There's my surprise of the month!!

Still smiling at Yvonne's news!

Can you tell more, Yvonne? How long's she been back in Oz? Has she ever been over to Scotland since giving you up for adoption? Have you directed her to hmfckickback.co.uk to meet all your cyber friends? You've got kid, right - did your Mum know she's a gran?

Well done Yvonne. Took a big step and it sounds like it all went well.

You'll need to set yourself up on Skype so you can get cheap/free calls to Aus now. Video conferencing with your mum would be a spinout. Does she have a computer?

Congrats! Feeling a bit like Doug now. Group hug anyone?

Archived