Tracing families

yvonnejambo

Miller Jambo 60
Can't BELIEVE no-one has said get her pum .... actually, doesnae matter. :o

You always cross the line:laugh:

Miller Jambo 60
Well done Yvonne. Took a big step and it sounds like it all went well.

You'll need to set yourself up on Skype so you can get cheap/free calls to Aus now. Video conferencing with your mum would be a spinout. Does she have a computer?

Congrats! Feeling a bit like Doug now. Group hug anyone?

Great result mate, im an old romantic at heart.

love a wee story like this.

Im hard on the outside, but a sap when it comes to feelings.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
You always cross the line:laugh:

Says the man who is going to smear his wife in chocolate and ram her while on the phone to her ma! :laugh:

Miller Jambo 60
Says the man who is going to smear his wife in chocolate and ram her while on the phone to her ma! :laugh:

Brill mate,need to stop the midori.:eek:

NEVER!!

There's my surprise of the month!!

Still smiling at Yvonne's news!

Can you tell more, Yvonne? How long's she been back in Oz? Has she ever been over to Scotland since giving you up for adoption? Have you directed her to hmfckickback.co.uk to meet all your cyber friends? You've got kid, right - did your Mum know she's a gran?

I dont think she has been back over since giving me up. She says she will try get back over now though. She hadnt told her family in Oz about having me. But her parents are now dead and she said she will tell her friends now she has found me.

Found out my Dad is also an Aussie but they split before I was born.

She knows now shes a gran and I have just emailed her pictures of both of us.

You'll need to set yourself up on Skype so you can get cheap/free calls to Aus now. Video conferencing with your mum would be a spinout. Does she have a computer?

Yeah will have to get skype keep meaning to anyway as my Adopted dad lives in Thailand and would be cheaper for speaking to him. Just got to get head round all the different time zones!

:laugh:

Absolutely wonderful news for you Yvonne, truly glad that the call to you're Mum went well. I bet you're on cloud 9 .

Check out talktalk for calls abroad, I have a package with them where i speak regularly to relatives in Vancouver and friends in Brisbane and it costs me knowt as long as the call last less than 1hr. More often or not i just put the phone down and call them straight back .

That’s great news, glad it has worked out so well.

I am adopted as well and always in the back of my mind wanted to trace my 'blood' parents.

My mum passed away when she was 56 (I was 19) and my dad is still alive and kicking.

I suppose I wanted to find out the reason I was given up for adoption by them rather than getting to know them, but I feel if I went down that path I would be betraying my 'real' mum and dad (not my blood parents)

(hope that makes sense) :tongue:

That?s great news, glad it has worked out so well.

I am adopted as well and always in the back of my mind wanted to trace my 'blood' parents.

My mum passed away when she was 56 (I was 19) and my dad is still alive and kicking.

I suppose I wanted to find out the reason I was given up for adoption by them rather than getting to know them, but I feel if I went down that path I would be betraying my 'real' mum and dad (not my blood parents)

(hope that makes sense) :tongue:

Yeah makes perfect sense. Not sure if I have said on this thread or not, but the reason I never went looking years ago was that my adopted Mum always said it would hurt her if I did. I have thought on and off over the years about what my family may be like or if I have brothers or sisters. Real life has always stopped me actually doing anything about it and before I knew it im 40. My adopted mum hasn't spoke to me in years so I can now find out info on my birth parents as she wont know or be bothered. My adopted dad is pretty cool about the thought of it (although havent told him yet I have done it).

I only got a copy of my real birth certificate just before Xmas and it did affect me more than I thought it would. seeing your birth name, mothers name and address when you have no idea of them does get to you but in a good way. My mate has used tracing systems to find her birth family and i gave her the details I got from my birth certificate, I also planned to try do some searching myself over next few months to try and get an idea of my family background.

Today was very out of the blue. my plan was just to do a bit of searching to find out any info on my blood family and was in no rush to actually contact them, but my mate phoned and said they had found my Mum and spoken to her best friend! 10 minutes later I was speaking to my birth Mums friend and we then had to wait until it was early morning in Oz for her to phone and tell her she had spoken to me. Few hours later and Im on phone to my Mum! Weird, fast but good.

So my advice try it, your parents who have brought you up must realise its natural to want to trace your roots. Hopefully they can be supportive and will always be your parents as they have brought you up.

I will never really think of my birth mum as my mum but Im glad I have a chance to get to know her now. Wish i had done it sooner as she has suffered all those years and never had other kids or married because she never got over giving me up and that does make me sad.

Yeah makes perfect sense. Not sure if I have said on this thread or not, but the reason I never went looking years ago was that my adopted Mum always said it would hurt her if I did. I have thought on and off over the years about what my family may be like or if I have brothers or sisters. Real life has always stopped me actually doing anything about it and before I knew it im 40. My adopted mum hasn't spoke to me in years so I can now find out info on my birth parents as she wont know or be bothered. My adopted dad is pretty cool about the thought of it (although havent told him yet I have done it).

I only got a copy of my real birth certificate just before Xmas and it did affect me more than I thought it would. seeing your birth name, mothers name and address when you have no idea of them does get to you but in a good way. My mate has used tracing systems to find her birth family and i gave her the details I got from my birth certificate, I also planned to try do some searching myself over next few months to try and get an idea of my family background.

Today was very out of the blue. my plan was just to do a bit of searching to find out any info on my blood family and was in no rush to actually contact them, but my mate phoned and said they had found my Mum and spoken to her best friend! 10 minutes later I was speaking to my birth Mums friend and we then had to wait until it was early morning in Oz for her to phone and tell her she had spoken to me. Few hours later and Im on phone to my Mum! Weird, fast but good.

So my advice try it, your parents who have brought you up must realise its natural to want to trace your roots. Hopefully they can be supportive and will always be your parents as they have brought you up.

I will never really think of my birth mum as my mum but Im glad I have a chance to get to know her now. Wish i had done it sooner as she has suffered all those years and never had other kids or married because she never got over giving me up and that does make me sad.

Really pleased for you Yvonne!

K.

Thanks for that.

As you mention my adopted mum and dad will ALWAYS be my mum and dad regardless if I decide to trace my 'blood' parents, but there still would be a sense of guilt there even though my mum has passed away, I probably would not tell my dad anyway if I did go ahead with it.

Still in two minds about it, but to be honest its never bothered me since I found out (by mistake), I suppose I would just like to know the reason they gave me up.

(probably looked at me and thought "EEEEWWWW, Im no keeping that!!!") :tongue::laugh:

Moncs unfortunately in the 50s and 60s there was a harsher view taken of unmarried mothers (not suggesting this was the situation in your case) and there were many situations when children were taken from their young mothers and made available for adoption. Just shows you how society changes!

Moncs unfortunately in the 50s and 60s there was a harsher view taken of unmarried mothers (not suggesting this was the situation in your case) and there were many situations when children were taken from their young mothers and made available for adoption. Just shows you how society changes!

Less of the 50's/60's!! I was born in 74, Im only a kid :laugh::laugh:

But I take your point

Christ, i was nearly greeting at the pictures last night and now this.

This must be what it feels like when it's rag week.

:laugh:

Good on you though Yvonne.

Guest jambomickey

having met yvonne this couldn't have happened to a nicer person! i hope and pray this is the new start you wish for yvonne, you really deserve it.

Well done Yvonne. I lost my dad to the Big C when I was 24 and would love even just one more day with him.

Grab your chance with both hands.

This kind of group hug :tongue:

hug.jpg

Like that group hug TB, Im sure all the guys on this look like them anyway :laugh:.

I really do appreciate all the messages you have all put on this and I know its a hard subject for many people. I know I am really lucky that it has worked out like it has. I am still in shock and cant quite get my head round it but Im sure it will sink in soon. She is away until Sunday and then she is going to email me a picture so I looking forward to that. I guess I will see if I look anything like her. Its all exciting but surreal feeling.

Where in Aus is she Yvonne? Just so we can all put your holiday itinerary together. :laugh:

Seriously weird, but wonderful, time for you (and her). Remember to take the whole thing as it comes. It has happened so quickly that the shockwaves will be massive for both of you. No saying what mixed emotions you both will have over the coming months.

Must be a great relief for you, but your mum will be feeling a huge mixture of guilt along with relief, joy, sadness etc etc.

Not joking, but you could probably both do with having a third party to talk to about all the mixed feelings. I know the Salvation Army here in Aus have a brilliant family support group who deal with lots of reunion type situations and would be an ideal point of contact for your mum to bounce her feelings off.

Theres no saying how bad she might feel about herself for giving up her beautiful baby, the pressures she must have been under would have been traumatic and all this might bring it flooding back.

Take things really slowly and expect a few rocky moments (there's tons of backlogged emotions involved for you both).

Also, make sure you have her postal address because sometimes it's easier to say things in a letter or card than on the phone.

So, so pleased for you. This is the most heartwarming story on JKB EVER. FACT. END OF! :laugh:

J.T.F.Robertson
Where in Aus is she Yvonne? Just so we can all put your holiday itinerary together. :laugh:

Seriously weird, but wonderful, time for you (and her). Remember to take the whole thing as it comes. It has happened so quickly that the shockwaves will be massive for both of you. No saying what mixed emotions you both will have over the coming months.

Must be a great relief for you, but your mum will be feeling a huge mixture of guilt along with relief, joy, sadness etc etc.

Not joking, but you could probably both do with having a third party to talk to about all the mixed feelings. I know the Salvation Army here in Aus have a brilliant family support group who deal with lots of reunion type situations and would be an ideal point of contact for your mum to bounce her feelings off.

Theres no saying how bad she might feel about herself for giving up her beautiful baby, the pressures she must have been under would have been traumatic and all this might bring it flooding back.

Take things really slowly and expect a few rocky moments (there's tons of backlogged emotions involved for you both).

Also, make sure you have her postal address because sometimes it's easier to say things in a letter or card than on the phone.

So, so pleased for you. This is the most heartwarming story on JKB EVER. FACT. END OF! :laugh:

Laszlo may be able to provide some insight, also. ;)

Thanks for all that MelbourneJambo. She is in Canberra, I dont have her address but she is on email, so hopefully we can chat and share pictures on that for a while. You are right about the impact as its been so quick and I expect it will have tough patches, but from speaking to her last night she does sound very similar to me in that she is down to earth, open and honest. She said quite a bit that others may not have so easily. I do think it will be ok and freakily both of us are on holiday this week so we both have time to gather our thoughts and chat to friends (or on JKB :)) before facing our real life jobs.

Nightmare. No beach. Tell her you'll meet her on the Gold Coast. :laugh::laugh:

Haha will do :laugh:

Archived