RBS Shares

Cliffundo

This paying for a holiday JP?

Being an employee of RBS, everyone would know well in advance if it was going to be nationalised, so plenty of time to pull out if all goes belly up!

erm.. is that not called insider information and against the law:rolleyes:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're an optimpist, I'll give you that Cliffundo. :)

There are several "barriers" in RBS's share price increase.

1 - Feb 26th when the annual figures are announced. If the figures turn out to be better than expected then the price should increase.

2 - there's an upcoming 31.75p share issue when the preference shares are converted into normal ones. If the uptake is high then that's a good start; if not then the share price will stall around this price for quite a while.

2 - Assuming barrier 2 has a positive outcome there the next price of interest will be at around 66p (IIRC) which is the price the government bailed RBS out last year. If the share price continues to rise past this price then it's not inconceivable that the government starts releasing a proportion of their shareholding to try and claw some money back. How that will affect the share price is unknown.

I'll not even speculate past the third barrier as the government own so many shares it starts to boggle the mind. I'd imagine they will want rid of them as quickly as they can (at a profit of course) but given the number of shares they require to sell, it can only really happen if the really big investors have complete confidence in RBS. And I can't see that happening for several years yet.

Excellent points. It appears that most people I speak to have a exit price of a ?1 and I personally think it's going to take quite a while before it gets there.

• 8 months later...

Archived