Cliffundo

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Now I'm down ?13!!

Its a rollercoaster ride I tells ya!!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Whittaker's Tache
Thanks. Now, how much am I prepared to gamble with? :)

Whatever you can afford to lose comfortably

The rule of all gambling

The reason for the share price increase is because so many people are now wanting to take a speculative punt. It has nothing to do with predicted results for RBS or market knowledge. I would be wary about getting too excited over the current price

No...people would have took that speculative punt at 10p....not 20p allthough 20 will still prove to be a good entry point. The reason for the increase is the growing sentiment that RBS will not be Nationalised.

The Shares were trading above 50p before they annouced the Goverment intervention which lead to them accruing 70% ownership of RBS....sellers panicked at the thought of Nationalisation and got out causing the price to drop....the Goverment have since said they have no intention of Nationalising RBS or any other bank and allthough many are sceptical of the goverment them selves...they are inclined to believe RBS will be here for the forceable and willing to take a punt again.

The reason they dropped this morning was the announcement that US company have filed a law suit against them over allegations of miss-sold shares which will be heard on June the 9th.....upuntill that point shres where heading towards 25p mark.

I still think this is a winner long term.

Whatever you can afford to lose comfortably

The rule of all gambling

Indeed. Shona77..... Buy as manay as possible without over spending money that you may need in a hurry. between 3000-5000 will bring you back a nice return in the future. that amount may cost between ?700 and ?1000 as the price stands at the moment.

good luck.

Indeed. Shona77..... Buy as manay as possible without over spending money that you may need in a hurry. between 3000-5000 will bring you back a nice return in the future. that amount may cost between ?700 and ?1000 as the price stands at the moment.

good luck.

Oh my God they are Tumbling Again.http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/shares/3/23201/one_month.stm

Oh my God they are Tumbling Again.http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/shares/3/23201/one_month.stm

:emoticon_spam:

Look At the chart...they already tumbled.....fill yer boots :laugh:

We? as in the people who have bought shares and updated this thread?

you never mentioned how many shares you have bought?

what's the tune of your financial investment?

No investment from me. I value my cash.

No...people would have took that speculative punt at 10p....not 20p allthough 20 will still prove to be a good entry point. The reason for the increase is the growing sentiment that RBS will not be Nationalised.

The Shares were trading above 50p before they annouced the Goverment intervention which lead to them accruing 70% ownership of RBS....sellers panicked at the thought of Nationalisation and got out causing the price to drop....the Goverment have since said they have no intention of Nationalising RBS or any other bank and allthough many are sceptical of the goverment them selves...they are inclined to believe RBS will be here for the forceable and willing to take a punt again.

The reason they dropped this morning was the announcement that US company have filed a law suit against them over allegations of miss-sold shares which will be heard on June the 9th.....upuntill that point shres where heading towards 25p mark.

I still think this is a winner long term.

Would you consider the thousands of folk who bought them at a pound as not being speculators!

That bank is a long way off turning the corner and as soon as the price does go up there will be thousands selling driving it right back down again.

On a slightly related but more general tangent regarding speculation I think you will see quite a lot more people take to this type of speculation than in years gone by and therefore bigger risks with their money.

When base rate is so low you don't get much in return for your savings in bank accounts but with such a depressed stock market the smart (or just plain lucky) folk could make some serious money by trading the right shares at the right time.

:emoticon_spam:

Look At the chart...they already tumbled.....fill yer boots :laugh:

Sorry i was at the wind up there, i did not realize you can buy shares at Branches of RBS, Joking aside i have a spare Grand that i am seriously considering taking a gamble on these shares.

You obviously know a bit about this stuff, apart from a few hundred Lloyd's shares that i was left in a will i have no shares.

I am considering going into a branch tomorrow and taking the plunge, Aside from that i have money to go into my ISA Which is due in before April, in your opinion would it be better of spent on shares, i have the amount set aside for the limit that you can invest in the ISA, So you will know what i mean.

If it goes breast up i wont hold you to it, just your opinion would suffice.

Sorry i was at the wind up there, i did not realize you can buy shares at Branches of RBS, Joking aside i have a spare Grand that i am seriously considering taking a gamble on these shares.

You obviously know a bit about this stuff, apart from a few hundred Lloyd's shares that i was left in a will i have no shares.

I am considering going into a branch tomorrow and taking the plunge, Aside from that i have money to go into my ISA Which is due in before April, in your opinion would it be better of spent on shares, i have the amount set aside for the limit that you can invest in the ISA, So you will know what i mean.

Providing the RBS does not get Nationalised. You will make money. If you can hold for a few years and ride the storm, you will be happy. Im in the same boat as everyone else...it's a gamble with a really good return. I have to a risk with an amount of money that I can afford to lose. If it goes breasts up...my thoughts will be nothing ventured nothing gained. If I make a few quid my thoughts will be....the exact same. Have a think about it and see if it appeals...if it does ...go for it!

Providing the RBS does not get Nationalised. You will make money. If you can hold for a few years and ride the storm, you will be happy. Im in the same boat as everyone else...it's a gamble with a really good return. I have to a risk with an amount of money that I can afford to lose. If it goes breasts up...my thoughts will be nothing ventured nothing gained. If I make a few quid my thoughts will be....the exact same. Have a think about it and see if it appeals...if it does ...go for it!

I Am seriously tempted, i have a mate who bought 600 quids worth at 12.5p, he recommended i take a punt as well, I'm kinda regretting i did not now, but even at 20p its got to be worth a punt, I'm going to go for it tomorrow, i will look at it as a long term hold.

IMO They will not be nationalized, they may actually long term unravel themselves from the Governments 70%.

Its possible you could look back in 10 years and say that was a cracking investment, and think to yourself why did i not buy more, thats my gut feeling.

Anyway cheers for the advice.

I Am seriously tempted, i have a mate who bought 600 quids worth at 12.5p, he recommended i take a punt as well, I'm kinda regretting i did not now, but even at 20p its got to be worth a punt, I'm going to go for it tomorrow, i will look at it as a long term hold.

IMO They will not be nationalized, they may actually long term unravel themselves from the Governments 70%.

Its possible you could look back in 10 years and say that was a cracking investment, and think to yourself why did i not buy more, thats my gut feeling.

Anyway cheers for the advice.

Good luck mate and all the best with your investment.

Good luck mate and all the best with your investment.

Long term i think it will come good, fingers crossed.:eek:

The idea that past performance of rbs shares is an indicator of future performance is absolutely laughable. We are where we are, and the past is irrelevant.

The idea that past performance of rbs shares is an indicator of future performance is absolutely laughable. We are where we are, and the past is irrelevant.

Very good point. Examine the fundamentals and make performance estimates based on those.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Wonder what would happen if the UK government had the sense to listen to George Soros and start up a 'good bank' and let the toxic banks manage these assets until maturity, which would actually be cheaper than this nonsense Brown has dreamt up. Won't happen of course as there are too many vested interests involved.

Some banks offer an online share dealing account, I know Halifax does.

I have bought 9000 shares at an average price of 14p. See what happens! :eek:

But it does give you some indication of what the company is cappable of. The shares have been diluted and have the ceiling of about ?1.50-75 this can change for the good of the investor or the bad. depends on whats going on at that time. for the people who got in at 10-20P will be able to make a decent profit in the near future.

Out of curiosity are you long or short on this stock?

But it does give you some indication of what the company is cappable of.

Not really - the company is undergoing a huge transformation, its shareholder base has changed massively, its operating in a hugely different economic environment and is in an industry that has suffered from a huge shock.

Not really - the company is undergoing a huge transformation, its shareholder base has changed massively, its operating in a hugely different economic environment and is in an industry that has suffered from a huge shock.

The World economy as a whole is suffering and undergoing a huge change not just RBS. I suppose it comes down to how you view globalisation...is it a positive or a negative?

Can I ask a question....do you think a share price of ?1.50 when the bank is profitable again possible? remembering that the shares are diluted and the business will have a new board a better lending policy and better management as a whole.

Another question...are you long or short on this stock?

The World economy as a whole is suffering and undergoing a huge change not just RBS. I suppose it comes down to how you view globalisation...is it a positive or a negative?

I think globalisation is a positive.

Can I ask a question....do you think a share price of ?1.50 when the bank is profitable again possible? remembering that the shares are diluted and the business will have a new board a better lending policy and better management as a whole.

Anything is possible. I am not confident that RBS will multiply by almost seven times in value any time soon, though.

Another question...are you long or short on this stock?

I have no vested interest in RBS shares.

I think globalisation is a positive.

Me too

Anything is possible. I am not confident that RBS will multiply by almost seven times in value any time soon, though.

Me neither...I have stated many times on this thread that I am in this long term.

I have no vested interest in RBS shares.

:mw_rolleyes:

So allthough you have no vested interest in RBS shares. you join in on a RBS shares thread and think it's kool to decalre peoples oppinions on this thread laughable, rather than join in with a constuctive debate.

fair doo's...I just do not see the point.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
Can I ask a question....do you think a share price of ?1.50 when the bank is profitable again possible?

By the time RBS announces a profit - Feb 2010 at the earliest - there will be approx 49 billion shares issued. The upcoming conversion of preference shares to normal ones will introduce around 7.5 billion* new shares (* - potentially dodgy arithemtic alert! :)).

A share price of ?1.50 would value RBS at ?73 Billion.

This may have been a realistic valuation two years ago.

Not now - and will not be for a very very long time.

By the time RBS announces a profit - Feb 2010 at the earliest - there will be approx 49 billion shares issued. The upcoming conversion of preference shares to normal ones will introduce around 7.5 billion* new shares (* - potentially dodgy arithemtic alert! :)).

A share price of ?1.50 would value RBS at ?73 Billion.

This may have been a realistic valuation two years ago.

Not now - and will not be for a very very long time.

I think your maths are a tad dodgy....but Mine are not to hot ...so I will not dispute it. RBS were worth ?78 Billion 2 years ago...and that figure has depreciated ..... but in a few years time depending what happenes with the goverments shares...I think they will be over the ?2 mark.

Once the bank has come through this recession it will be better run and finacially stronger. A bank run properly will breed confidence in the market and thats what drives share prices.

It could take between 3-5 years. if you can wait...I think it's a winner.

all IMO ofcourse :tongue:

I think your maths are a tad dodgy....but Mine are not to hot ...so I will not dispute it. RBS were worth ?78 Billion 2 years ago...and that figure has depreciated ..... but in a few years time depending what happenes with the goverments shares...I think they will be over the ?2 mark.

Once the bank has come through this recession it will be better run and finacially stronger. A bank run properly will breed confidence in the market and thats what drives share prices.

Do you really think RBS will be worth anything near what they were?

They got such good profits due to their aggressive strategy. That has caused the current problem, so they will have to adopt a much safer strategy for the foreseeable future.

That doesn't even take in to consideration the extreme scepticism investors and the public will have towards the banks.

Do you really think RBS will be worth anything near what they were?

They got such good profits due to their aggressive strategy. That has caused the current problem, so they will have to adopt a much safer strategy for the foreseeable future.

That doesn't even take in to consideration the extreme scepticism investors and the public will have towards the banks.

The banks aggressive style was not always welcomed by the share holders...whats to say a more controlled approach to investemnets and lending policy would not bring an even greater sence of confidence to the market and generate even greater wealth or healthier SP through time?

The way I see it....After admiting they over paid for ANB by approx ?20 billion...they were still able to offer a share package valuing each share at ?2 all shares snapped up.

Ok... the next few years will be slow...but I do not think ?2 in 3-5 years is unrealistic. I just don't

I might well be wrong and this thread will no doubt still be around aslong as there are a few people still holding RBS shares.

we can pull it up then :)

The banks aggressive style was not always welcomed by the share holders...whats to say a more controlled approach to investemnets and lending policy would not bring an even greater sence of confidence to the market and generate even greater wealth or healthier SP through time?

The way I see it....After admiting they over paid for ANB by approx ?20 billion...they were still able to offer a share package valuing each share at ?2 all shares snapped up.

Ok... the next few years will be slow...but I do not think ?2 in 3-5 years is unrealistic. I just don't

I might well be wrong and this thread will no doubt still be around aslong as there are a few people still holding RBS shares.

we can pull it up then :)

I really hope you are right, cos of my mate who invested way too much without doing research.

I just wanted to guage your opinion and create debate about it, so that anyone reading this will at least have some info to think through, before diving in.

I still think the shares will drop when the actual losses are announced, and it is more than likely I will also invest some :laugh:

I really hope you are right, cos of my mate who invested way too much without doing research.

I just wanted to guage your opinion and create debate about it, so that anyone reading this will at least have some info to think through, before diving in.

I still think the shares will drop when the actual losses are announced, and it is more than likely I will also invest some :laugh:

Good luck mate!

To be fair...my strategy was this..How much can I afford to lose and not suffer in my standards of living in any way shape or form. I worked out what I would not miss and bought 5000 shares.

This was on the oppinion that the Goverment would not Nationalise RBS. if they did....then it was an amount that I would not miss.

Now it's a case of getting through the next month and if not Nationalised at that point end of Feb....it will be a case of trying to forget about the shares and let time do what time does best.

Then maybe 3-5 years cash in. I had thought of an alternative startagey ...that I may take profit when the price went to 60p that would have gave me a few grand towards a new motor and jobs a good one, but you just do not know how you will feel if /when it hits that price.

good luck to all who have took the plunge. looking at 30 p PS for next friday!

So allthough you have no vested interest in RBS shares. you join in on a RBS shares thread and think it's kool to decalre peoples oppinions on this thread laughable, rather than join in with a constuctive debate.

It's a topic that I am interested in, despite having no financial or personal stake invested in RBS and its share, hence my reading of, and expressing opinion in, a thread on the topic. The fact that it is kool is merely a bonus.

Upon what do you base your prediction that RBS will multiply nine times in value within few years? Genuine question...

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Banks are soiled goods at the moment - which must be a bugger for well managed banks like HSBC as they will, to a degree, be tarred with the same brush.

Banks used to be seen as boring and safe bets by the big investors like pension funds.

It's going to take a long time and a lot of persuasion to convince them to invest so heavily in the future.

I suppose the televised execution of Global Marketing employees would be a positive message though. :D

Upon what do you base your prediction that RBS will multiply nine times in value within few years? Genuine question...

I Have not predicted it...I said depending what happens with the goverments share! they could be up at the ?2 mark in 3-5 years

If RBS take they shares back at some point....then the company will be a hell of a lot better off.

if RBS become 100% private and profitable I think ?2 a share is a realistic target within 3-5 years.

No predictions just my oppinion.

At the end of the day...im having a punt...Im not advising people to buy shares....lets have a look at this thread in a few year from now and we will have an idea of where we are at.

Banks are soiled goods at the moment - which must be a bugger for well managed banks like HSBC as they will, to a degree, be tarred with the same brush.

Banks used to be seen as boring and safe bets by the big investors like pension funds.

It's going to take a long time and a lot of persuasion to convince them to invest so heavily in the future.

I suppose the televised execution of Global Marketing employees would be a positive message though. :D

Yeah defo :laugh:

I Have not predicted it...I said depending what happens with the goverments share! they could be up at the ?2 mark in 3-5 years

If RBS take they shares back at some point....then the company will be a hell of a lot better off.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

I don't think you can relate the current group to that of 2 years ago in valuation considering the amount of group companies sold off or in the process of being sold off. Tesco finance , Bank of China & Direct Line being just 3 of these.

If you consider that RBS's stake in Bank of China was worth more than the valuation of RBS itself by share price 6 months ago, and that has now gone, then the relationship between the Group in 18 months time and the Group of 18 months ago is vast.

I don't disagree that eventually the share price will recover to a somewhat more agreeable level, I just disagree with predicting the future price by using using a comparison to its past performance (when shareholders were betting on an incredibly aggresive strategy paying off) to that when a more organic and cautious approach shall be taken.

I don't think you can relate the current group to that of 2 years ago in valuation considering the amount of group companies sold off or in the process of being sold off. Tesco finance , Bank of China & Direct Line being just 3 of these.

If you consider that RBS's stake in Bank of China was worth more than the valuation of RBS itself by share price 6 months ago, and that has now gone, then the relationship between the Group in 18 months time and the Group of 18 months ago is vast.

I don't disagree that eventually the share price will recover to a somewhat more agreeable level, I just disagree with predicting the future price by using using a comparison to its past performance (when shareholders were betting on an incredibly aggresive strategy paying off) to that when a more organic and cautious approach shall be taken.

Fair doos's...tired try to explain that this is my oppinion and nothing else....

When RBS are profitable and the goverment are gone is ?2 share really that unbelievable...you point out about potential sell off from the group...thats right there may be..but what about when ANB start to bear fruit?...

another note..A more organic and cautious approach would be benificial for share holders...the market place is all about confidence in the stock you hold.

like I have said in other posts....it could all go belly up next month...im in it for a punt with funds I can afford to lose.

I dont want to advise or try and educate...I do not know the in's and

out's...it's just my oppinion.

im happy to take a back seat and see where we are in a few years.

when I start stating facts feel free to wade in :laugh:

Hows everyone doing who the took the plunge? you still in or took profits?

Im still holding and it's looking a bit better. was in @ 12p now doubled @ 24p

Still holding off for ?1 mark. maybe by the end of the year.

Been watching with interest today due to the "board reshuffle". Looks like there is a glimmer of confidence returning, share price avg over the week up by a few pence. Im up a couple of hundred bucks, but nothing serious yet. Im planning on holding indefinately, unless of course theres a sniff of nationalisation. The sharebroker I use is quite good at emailing any relevent info on the stocks I hold, so anything that can make a significant change to the price is usually jumped on fairly quickly.

Just wished I'd acted on their advice with northern Rock and Woolworths.....:mad:

Been watching with interest today due to the "board reshuffle". Looks like there is a glimmer of confidence returning, share price avg over the week up by a few pence. Im up a couple of hundred bucks, but nothing serious yet. Im planning on holding indefinately, unless of course theres a sniff of nationalisation. The sharebroker I use is quite good at emailing any relevent info on the stocks I hold, so anything that can make a significant change to the price is usually jumped on fairly quickly.

Just wished I'd acted on their advice with northern Rock and Woolworths.....:mad:

Yeah! Hindsight eh! what price are you holding out for? I may take profit if it hits the pound...I did say I would be in this for the long haul (a few years)...but I will have a think about that when it hits my 1st target.

Yeah! Hindsight eh! what price are you holding out for? I may take profit if it hits the pound...I did say I would be in this for the long haul (a few years)...but I will have a think about that when it hits my 1st target.

I dont have a holding price in mind. I intend to just let them sit until I need the money!

The way interest rates are just now, its more likely to be benefical in the long term, rather than have my savings sitting doing nothing in a bank account. OK, theres always a risk with the shares, but if you look in on occassion, and keep your ear to the ground, you should be ok. Ive only invested what I had "spare" anyways, so not a major issue if it doesnt work out! Nothing ventured as they say....

Jambo-Pipers-babe
I dont have a holding price in mind. I intend to just let them sit until I need the money!

The way interest rates are just now, its more likely to be benefical in the long term, rather than have my savings sitting doing nothing in a bank account. OK, theres always a risk with the shares, but if you look in on occassion, and keep your ear to the ground, you should be ok. Ive only invested what I had "spare" anyways, so not a major issue if it doesnt work out! Nothing ventured as they say....

This paying for a holiday JP?

Being an employee of RBS, everyone would know well in advance if it was going to be nationalised, so plenty of time to pull out if all goes belly up!

Being an employee of RBS, everyone would know well in advance if it was going to be nationalised, so plenty of time to pull out if all goes belly up!

Hope youve got my dinner on and shirt ironed.....

Hope youve got my dinner on and shirt ironed.....

Haha...good to see you keep tradition JP.

Thats why women have small feet....so they can stand closer in at the sink.

Haha...good to see you keep tradition JP.

Thats why women have small feet....so they can stand closer in at the sink.

Domestic abuse only came about cuz women had to be told twice....

Is that really the case?

portobellojambo1

EDIT - Think maybe I misread the above, still not 100% sure what context to take it in.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
Is that really the case?

No; unless, of course, Jambo-Pipers-babe is actually Stephen Hester.

"And I would have got away with it too if it wasn't for you pesky kids!" :tongue:

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

You're an optimpist, I'll give you that Cliffundo. :)

There are several "barriers" in RBS's share price increase.

1 - Feb 26th when the annual figures are announced. If the figures turn out to be better than expected then the price should increase.

2 - there's an upcoming 31.75p share issue when the preference shares are converted into normal ones. If the uptake is high then that's a good start; if not then the share price will stall around this price for quite a while.

2 - Assuming barrier 2 has a positive outcome there the next price of interest will be at around 66p (IIRC) which is the price the government bailed RBS out last year. If the share price continues to rise past this price then it's not inconceivable that the government starts releasing a proportion of their shareholding to try and claw some money back. How that will affect the share price is unknown.

I'll not even speculate past the third barrier as the government own so many shares it starts to boggle the mind. I'd imagine they will want rid of them as quickly as they can (at a profit of course) but given the number of shares they require to sell, it can only really happen if the really big investors have complete confidence in RBS. And I can't see that happening for several years yet.

Archived